T-Mo will have the iPhone 5 and iPad...sometime in 2013

jroepcke51

Folks, be careful with your thread titles. T-Mobile will not offer iPhone nor iPad until next year -- probably not for another six months or longer. The T-Mobile network is simply not ready in most markets to accommodate iPhone and iPad as 3G/4G devices. And I still think it ridiculous how Apple has jerked around T-Mobile by not including AWS W-CDMA capability and how T-Mobile has capitulated to Apple by reshuffling its network to include PCS W-CDMA.

AJ

• Like 2

The last of the big 4 has finally jumped into bed with Apple to begin offering the iPhone in 2013. Now each of the big 4 carriers carry the iPhone and I would be interested to see how Tmobile's postpaid numbers improve with the addition of the iPhone as well as how AT&T's postpaid numbers gets affected by this. I am sure there a group of folks out there that loved Tmobile but switched to AT&T because of the iPhone and may consider switching back to Tmobile.

Do you guys think this will have any impact on Sprint?

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-usa-carry-apple-products-2013/2012-12-06

Tmobile is moving to 100% value plans. They are getting the iPhone because now they do not have to subsidize the device.

In one day tmobile gains my interest, then loses it the in an hour.

Value plans are nice, but I refuse to sign a contract with an ETF when I am bringing my own device.

• Like 1

Tmobile is moving to 100% value plans. They are getting the iPhone because now they do not have to subsidize the device.

Value plans are nice, but I refuse to sign a contract with an ETF when I am bringing my own device.

I think moving to only value plans is a bad idea for t mobile. There's not a lot of people that can afford to purchase phones at full retail. The byod will do pretty good but people want new phones when they join a carrier and not pay full price. I know people that thinks the new customer price/2year upgrade price is the actual price of the phone and complains a about paying $200 for a device.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I thought value plans had no ETF... If they do, well thats incredibly stupid.

They will finance the device if you want to- 20 or 30 dollars extra on your bill for 20 months.

Uh oh, I'm double posting. :o

How I feel about this:

Sprints really got their work cut out for them if T-Mo gets everything done. LTE, iPhone, and great prices all in one carrier.

Just one problem- the no-contract idea. I simply can't afford $650 for a phone. $200 I can shoulder, but $650 is WAAY too much. $300 I would consider (Nexus 4), but there's that LTE problem. If Apple or Google can create carrier specific models at a nice no-contract price, I'm sold. I would go with Android in a heartbeat if I could get a CDMA LTE phone with Nexus 4-like for $300.

Oh, another problem. One that doesn't really affect me. Which is TMo coverage. They cover the urban areas nicely, but rural areas? Not so much. That's obviously not a problem in places like Baltimore, they have decent signal in most places, not always 3G though. And thats another problem. The 3G. They didn't convert all the towers in the first place, and they aren't planning to. Any EDGE tower will always be an EDGE tower. No hope of HSPA or LTE.

Okay, I'm done.

Uh oh, I'm double posting. :o

How I feel about this:

Sprints really got their work cut out for them if T-Mo gets everything done. LTE, iPhone, and great prices all in one carrier.

Just one problem- the no-contract idea. I simply can't afford $650 for a phone. $200 I can shoulder, but $650 is WAAY too much. $300 I would consider (Nexus 4), but there's that LTE problem. If Apple or Google can create carrier specific models at a nice no-contract price, I'm sold. I would go with Android in a heartbeat if I could get a CDMA LTE phone with Nexus 4-like for $300.

Oh, another problem. One that doesn't really affect me. Which is TMo coverage. They cover the urban areas nicely, but rural areas? Not so much. That's obviously not a problem in places like Baltimore, they have decent signal in most places, not always 3G though. And thats another problem. The 3G. They didn't convert all the towers in the first place, and they aren't planning to. Any EDGE tower will always be an EDGE tower. No hope of HSPA or LTE.

Okay, I'm done.

They plan on having there whole network HSPA+ by around 2014 I think? And then LTE is a large part of the network.

I thought value plans had no ETF... If they do, well thats incredibly stupid.

They will finance the device if you want to- 20 or 30 dollars extra on your bill for 20 months.

The whole switching to value plans only is dumb, and I actually am a fan of the idea of value plans. I used to switch my phones every few months, so saving money on my monthly bill was an awesome concept to me.( one of the reasons I was with Tmo back when they were called Even More Plus plans and had no ETF).

I think tmobile is throwing in the towel on the postpaid game. They are switching to a prepaid company. Ever since they announced the value plans and started show casing them, it seems like they have been struggling to not lose postpaid customers. They said that 80% of the activations are value plan, but they did not mention that they lost 600k+ subscribers last quarter. Value plan is not working, and people are leaving tmobile.

• 1 month later...

T-Mobile made the official announcement yesterday at CES. They will be carrying the iPhone in three to four months, but won't be subsidizing the phone; you'll have to pay the full price for the phone up front. The bonus is you won't be locked into a contract and the monthly fee should be quite a bit less than any of the other carriers.

Source: Macworld Article

T-Mobile made the official announcement yesterday at CES. They will be carrying the iPhone in three to four months, but won't be subsidizing the phone; you'll have to pay the full price for the phone up front. The bonus is you won't be locked into a contract and the monthly fee should be quite a bit less than any of the other carriers.

T-Mobile is really making a mistake on this. They may potentially miss out on some iPhone Business as a result.

T-Mobile is really making a mistake on this. They may potentially miss out on some iPhone Business as a result.

I'm sure they will finance them, just not "subsidize" them. That is how they handle the rest of their phones on the value plan. You pay a down payment and then finance the remainer of the phone price with your monthly bill. Or you can pay for the whole shebang up front...

• Like 1

I'm sure they will finance them, just not "subsidize" them. That is how they handle the rest of their phones on the value plan. You pay a down payment and then finance the remainer of the phone price with your monthly bill. Or you can pay for the whole shebang up front...

Like I could ever pay full price up front for a phone, lol! :rofl:

Folks, be careful with your thread titles. T-Mobile will not offer iPhone nor iPad until next year -- probably not for another six months or longer. The T-Mobile network is simply not ready in most markets to accommodate iPhone and iPad as 3G/4G devices. And I still think it ridiculous how Apple has jerked around T-Mobile by not including AWS W-CDMA capability and how T-Mobile has capitulated to Apple by reshuffling its network to include PCS W-CDMA.

AJ

Part of Apple's success (or at least profit) is having as few models as possible. Supporting more bands requires multiple models or increasing the size of the phone.

I'm sure Apple would love to use software radio so they could support any band with one device... We just aren't there yet. The need is strong, spectrum is only going to get further fragmented.

Part of Apple's success (or at least profit) is having as few models as possible. Supporting more bands requires multiple models or increasing the size of the phone.

Re-read my post and/or the specs for the iPhone 5 and latest iPad models. They support LTE band 4 (AWS) but not W-CDMA band 4 (AWS). That is not an engineering challenge. It is a firmware lockout that Apple has granted AT&T for protectionism.

I have said and will continue to say this for the foreseeable future: the iPhone and AT&T exclusivity are two of the most damaging things to ever happen to the domestic wireless industry.

AJ

• Like 2

I thought the price point for monthly fee on the value plans is about $10-$15 cheaper a month, not lower than that.

Also since the rest of the cost of the device is split out over the course of two years, etc. doesn't it come out to be the same?

Example, $650 iPhone 5, monthly plan is $70 a month for unlimited everything. Say I pay $200 upfront for the device, I'll be paying still the same $70 a month, plus $19 a month for the difference of the cost of the iPhone.

Re-read my post and/or the specs for the iPhone 5 and latest iPad models. They support LTE band 4 (AWS) but not W-CDMA band 4 (AWS). That is not an engineering challenge. It is a firmware lockout that Apple has granted AT&T for protectionism.

I have said and will continue to say this for the foreseeable future: the iPhone and AT&T exclusivity are two of the most damaging things to ever happen to the domestic wireless industry.

AJ

They haven't tested it you mean; we don't know why. It supports CDMA on SMR too so in theory it could be certified for LTE on that band via a firmware update, but since Sprint hasn't launched LTE on that band yet we have no idea if they'll bother certifying it (unless there is some technical reason it can't work).

I don't see how you can think it has been damaging (the iPhone that is). It finally broke the carrier's stranglehold on the handsets and we wouldn't have Android in its current form without it (Android started life as a blackberry clone, complete with hardware keyboard). In fact the very exclusivity we all hated was due to the other carriers telling Apple to go pound sand - because they were the rulers of all handsets and handset software. I remember the hoops you had to jump through to get an app out for a Sprint phone. I remember having features disabled on a Sprint phone that Verizon enabled or vice-versa, even though they were the same hardware. I don't pine for those days.

• Like 2