SouthernLinc continuing iDEN despite Sprint iDEN shutdown

ericdabbs

Looks like SouthernLinc isn't giving up so easily on iDEN despite Sprint's announcement impending iDEN shutdown in mid 2013. In fact they even plan to invest and expand the iDEN network for possible nationwide coverage. I was really hoping SouthernLinc and Sprint could make a deal where Sprint can reclaim some of the 800 MHz spectrum lost in the southeast region of the US so that they can deploy a 5x5 LTE carrier there instead of a 3x3 LTE carrier there.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/southernlinc-continue-iden-business-plans-solution-nationwide-coverage/2012-12-04

I was really hoping SouthernLinc and Sprint could make a deal where Sprint can reclaim some of the 800 MHz spectrum lost in the southeast region of the US so that they can deploy a 5x5 LTE carrier there instead of a 3x3 LTE carrier there.

Apparently, you have not heard. The Southern Company is so great that it can accomplish anything that it wants to do.

;)

AJ

• Like 10

Apparently, you have not heard. The Southern Company is so great that it can accomplish anything that it wants to do.

;)

AJ

The Great Southern Company closed its retail store here in Hattiesburg recently. I guess not being able to guarantee nationwide coverage in return for a contract makes retail sale nearly impossible.

If the hybrids are the intended roadmap, do they realize 800mhz voice roaming wont be possible? I guess Moto could rework them, but is it worth it? Oh , that's right... SOLINC don't care.

This vague statement from them could also be a result of an attempt sprint has made to court their business as a NV affiliate or buy the spectrum. If that has happened recently, this is their poker face.

I thought the thread was interesting to discuss..but people are throwing smartass remarks at the company that puts food on my table, so I elegantly bowed out of discussing this. I can understand discussing the how's and why's of SOCO..but when it comes to disparaging remarks about them (and even I said that I didn't see them shutting down the PTT/iDEN because of how it's used)..it's no longer intelligent conversation and is just immature guessing.

You people would feel the same way if this company was your sole means of paying bills and livelihood, I don't understand what the problem is with them...did they personally do something to one of you?

• Like 2

I think the topic is worth a serious discussion, but SouthernLink's strategy here is seemingly nonsensical. Keeping a legacy public network on the air because it's convenient to the company's operations doesn't make much sense (especially when you consider nobody else in the same industry, or any other industry, feels the need to do the same), and this "national roaming" solution is implausible unless they're migrating everyone to existing CDMA/iDEN handsets or Motorola is going to custom-build a few thousand GSM/iDEN handsets for one operator. The only vaguely sensible idea is to convert SouthernLink's internal customers to an internal-only dispatch radio network on low-SMR and 900 and sell off the ESMR spectrum and external customers to Sprint, and focus on Southern's core business of being a regulated monopoly utility-plus-generator like Florida Power, APCO, Duke Energy, ConEd, etc.

• Like 2

I think the topic is worth a serious discussion, but SouthernLink's strategy here is seemingly nonsensical. Keeping a legacy public network on the air because it's convenient to the company's operations doesn't make much sense (especially when you consider nobody else in the same industry, or any other industry, feels the need to do the same), and this "national roaming" solution is implausible unless they're migrating everyone to existing CDMA/iDEN handsets or Motorola is going to custom-build a few thousand GSM/iDEN handsets for one operator. The only vaguely sensible idea is to convert SouthernLink's internal customers to an internal-only dispatch radio network on low-SMR and 900 and sell off the ESMR spectrum and external customers to Sprint, and focus on Southern's core business of being a regulated monopoly utility-plus-generator like Florida Power, APCO, Duke Energy, ConEd, etc.

No, I think the sensible path is for them to do whatever they are doing and provide roaming on AT&T with new IDEN/GSM handsets.

Eventually, they, along with everybody else will move to an LTE based PTT.

Edited by bigsnake49

I agree it's worth it...but at this point, too much guessing is going on and not enough is known about what they plan on doing.

When I mentioned some of this earlier, in October, and said basically the same thing this article reiterates, I was almost laughed away and told how much sense I didn't make..

I know it's hard to fathom that someone on the internet might be right..but in this case, I was correct...and finally just quit reading the thread because of the route it took.

I thought the thread was interesting to discuss..but people are throwing smartass remarks at the company that puts food on my table, so I elegantly bowed out of discussing this. I can understand discussing the how's and why's of SOCO..but when it comes to disparaging remarks about them (and even I said that I didn't see them shutting down the PTT/iDEN because of how it's used)..it's no longer intelligent conversation and is just immature guessing.

You people would feel the same way if this company was your sole means of paying bills and livelihood, I don't understand what the problem is with them...did they personally do something to one of you?

No one said they wanted Southern Company to fail? Only that it made more sense for them to outsource their communications than to continue to support iDEN? I think you're being a bit dramatic. So they put food on your table and you work for a power company? What does that have to do with members here discussing them ceasing to offer PTT service?

No one said they wanted Southern Company to fail? Only that it made more sense for them to outsource their communications than to continue to support iDEN? I think you're being a bit dramatic. So they put food on your table and you work for a power company? What does that have to do with members here discussing them ceasing to offer PTT service?

Now this is getting ridiculous. It is one thing to build your own network, when you have the spectrum, but a whole nother thing to get into manufacturing to build custom phones, which need custom processors, antennas, etc. Is this company going to build its own nationwide network?

According to this particular article...why yes...yes they are.

some editing has been done and the more personal comments removed..but I did get quite a few smart remarks thrown my way when I brought up that I foresaw SoLinc keeping things the way they are and not moving away from iDEN in June 2013..

but like I said in the old thread...we really don't know what's going to happen, so probably it's best not to guess at this point. I have my opinion, which is partially biased because I see personally how they operate..others have their opinion, from the outside looking in...and for now, I just happened to be right about my initial thoughts of them not moving away from iDEN when Sprint shuts down their end of things in June.

This isn't what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the other thread where this was discussed...gotta read a bit more than just one or two sentences and you'll see where I mentioned another thread here discussing this back in October.

Unless you are an executive overseeing the wireless operations, theres no need to take criticism of your employer's decision to continue to operate an archaic network personally.

I work for a bank. They put food on my table and in return, I sign an agreement prohibiting myself from slandering them or sharing anything about my employment with the media or on social media. Now, are they infallable? No. Do I understand why people get mad at my employer or disagree with it? Yep. And do I privately even disdain from 100% belief that all decisions made by my employer are correct? Oh heck yeah. Your employer is good to you and we dont doubt that, but elevating them beyond personal tolerance of criticism, given the circumstances, is a little odd.

• Like 3

Look at the bright side. If SouthernLINC decides to keep iDEN running in perpetuity, it could become the wireless equivalent of a Renaissance fair or Civil War battlefield reenactment -- a place where you can go to experience what life was like in the olden days.

:P

AJ

• Like 5

Unless you are an executive overseeing the wireless operations, theres no need to take criticism of your employer's decision to continue to operate an archaic network personally.

I work for a bank. They put food on my table and in return, I sign an agreement prohibiting myself from slandering them or sharing anything about my employment with the media or on social media. Now, are they infallable? No. Do I understand why people get mad at my employer or disagree with it? Yep. And do I privately even disdain from 100% belief that all decisions made by my employer are correct? Oh heck yeah. Your employer is good to you and we dont doubt that, but elevating them beyond personal tolerance of criticism, given the circumstances, is a little odd.

Ok..back in September, in another thread..I said that SoLinc wouldn't just end iDEN when Sprint shut down..and they would do whatever to continue. I was blasted for my thoughts and told about how impossible it was..Do I think they are infallable? no way..but I just gave some insight from what I saw of the company since I have a personal relationship with them..

My insight wasn't taken seriously...and this is what I'm referring to..

Other than the SoLinc thing...I see a bunch of things I wish SoComp would do different..especially when it comes to unions, the IBEW..benefits...PAY...and seniority. I won't even get into the Credit union (employees federal) that SoComp operates.

They are a company, out to make money...and I didn't appreciate the union (IBEW) sending us a damn OBAMA sticker in the mail just before election -- especially when the guy wants to do away with coal (essentially making us pay MORE for electricity because they have to burn natgas.)

Ok..back in September' date=' in another thread..I said that SoLinc wouldn't just end iDEN when Sprint shut down..and they would do whatever to continue. I was blasted for my thoughts and told about how impossible it was..Do I think they are infallable? no way..but I just gave some insight from what I saw of the company since I have a personal relationship with them..

Other than the SoLinc thing...I see a bunch of things I wish SoComp would do different..especially when it comes to unions, the IBEW..benefits...PAY...and seniority. I won't even get into the Credit union (employees federal) that SoComp operates.

They are a company, out to make money...and I didn't appreciate the union (IBEW) sending us a damn OBAMA sticker in the mail just before election -- especially when the guy wants to do away with coal (essentially making us pay MORE for electricity because they have to burn natgas.)[/quote']

Right on! I like you now. No hard feelings, sorry if I came across like a jerk

Ok..back in September, in another thread..I said that SoLinc wouldn't just end iDEN when Sprint shut down..and they would do whatever to continue. I was blasted for my thoughts and told about how impossible it was..Do I think they are infallable? no way..but I just gave some insight from what I saw of the company since I have a personal relationship with them..

They are a company, out to make money...and I didn't appreciate the union (IBEW) sending us a damn OBAMA sticker in the mail just before election -- especially when the guy wants to do away with coal (essentially making us pay MORE for electricity because they have to burn natgas.)

I'd rather pay more to burn natural gas. Electricity is cheap. Coal is filthy.

• Like 3

Pardon my blunt response..but you don't know what you're talking about. One of the stacks at my wife's plant burns coal...and the expelled "waste" is LESS THAN ONE PERCENT harmful (so of the coal burned, less than 1% of it is wasted and can't be captured.)

I won't even go into the huge (Federally funded, and operated) Carbon capture units they have on the plant site...

so obviously while coal USED to be nasty to burn...we get the prospectus each year that shows how much money they invest into "green" and efficient technology. And there are still some plants that aren't up to par..but they aren't a part of SoComp...so don't just assume ...

(then again..why in the hell would we want to use something that WE HAVE PLENTY OF on our own soil..when we can move towards full foreign dependency if we do away with it?)

• Like 1

Well, unless they offer data along with nationwide roaming, I foresee them losing some of their non-Solinc employee customers. At that time, when the network is basically used solely by Southern Co, does it make sense to operate a network without anybody else sharing it?

Certain factions in this country would like to cling to the past/present because of economic convenience. The problem with that strategy is that it is not sustainable. It is nothing more than procrastination and just makes the inevitable transition that much more traumatic. This applies to fossil fuels, iDEN, etc.

AJ

• Like 4

Pardon my blunt response..but you don't know what you're talking about. One of the stacks at my wife's plant burns coal...and the expelled "waste" is LESS THAN ONE PERCENT harmful (so of the coal burned, less than 1% of it is wasted and can't be captured.)

I won't even go into the huge (Federally funded, and operated) Carbon capture units they have on the plant site...

so obviously while coal USED to be nasty to burn...we get the prospectus each year that shows how much money they invest into "green" and efficient technology. And there are still some plants that aren't up to par..but they aren't a part of SoComp...so don't just assume ...

(then again..why in the hell would we want to use something that WE HAVE PLENTY OF on our own soil..when we can move towards full foreign dependency if we do away with it?)

We have plenty of natural gas and it emits a lot less carbon dioxide/MBTU.

Well, unless they offer data along with nationwide roaming, I foresee them losing some of their non-Solinc employee customers. At that time, when the network is basically used solely by Southern Co, does it make sense to operate a network without anybody else sharing it?

Well that goes against what this article states and we don't have much open room to discuss anything else

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Well that goes against what this article states and we don't have much open room to discuss anything else

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If you are refering to this portion:

"In order to address the gap left by Sprint's iDEN network shutdown, Horsley said SouthernLinc plans to offer a "nationwide solution" in the near future. He declined to provide details. SouthernLinc could be planning to offer an MVNO service."

It says that they will probably have a roaming solution. I personally think they will offer something running on AT&T's network since IDEN and GSM are using the same backend, MAP, with hybrid handsets. They might even offer nationwide PTT with a gateway between AT&T's Kodiak based system and IDEN.

We will see.

Edited by bigsnake49