iPhone 5 had best call quality on Sprint

nobius

http://reviews.cnet....cross-carriers/

CNET did subjective tests with the iPhone 5 and found that Sprint had the best call quality among the three carriers.

I am sure other will chime in on this, but I always thought sprint had better voice quality than the competition. Its been this way for a while.

• Like 2

CDMA does offer superior voice quality compared to GSM. Perhaps Sprint just edged passed Verizon due to Verizon having more customers on each tower?

It doesn't matter how many users you have on a tower as long as you have enough spectrum and back haul which Verizon *should*.

iPhone 5 pretty much rivals a landline on Sprint. When I first got it (and then my GS3 after that) I was almost startled at how clear things were. Sprint (especially when I had the iPhone 5) makes even crappy carriers VQ sound tolerable!

Verizon OTOH I don't know how anyone could even say it comes anywhere near Sprint... I've tried VZW plenty of times and every time it was very muffled or even distorted and garbled. No matter who I call or what I call from VZW lines most of the time don't even have intelligible voice quality.

iPhone 5 pretty much rivals a landline on Sprint. When I first got it (and then my GS3 after that) I was almost startled at how clear things were. Sprint (especially when I had the iPhone 5) makes even crappy carriers VQ sound tolerable!

Verizon OTOH I don't know how anyone could even say it comes anywhere near Sprint... I've tried VZW plenty of times and every time it was very muffled or even distorted and garbled. No matter who I call or what I call from VZW lines most of the time don't even have intelligible voice quality.

My iPhone 5 sounds a hell of a lot better then a landline. We have Comcast.

Never thought Sprint had bad call quality. Just want the network speed to catch up.

I'm guessing the best cell quality on Sprint or any American Carrier would be the Evo LTE to Evo LTE using HD Voice, maybe the iPhone 5 supports HD Voice too I really don't know.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus

60% of the time, It works every time!

My iPhone 5 sounds a hell of a lot better then a landline. We have Comcast.

Your probably using a crappy cordless landline phone, or a crappy corded phone... When I compare to a landline I use only the best corded phones available... why the old Western Electric models dating back to the Ma Bell era of course!

Comcast sounds better then AT&T POTS when comparing the two with one of the phones stated above. the iPhone 5 is about equal to AT&T POTS (on a western electric, or certain cordless phones) for me

Your probably using a crappy cordless landline phone, or a crappy corded phone... When I compare to a landline I use only the best corded phones available... why the old Western Electric models dating back to the Ma Bell era of course!

Comcast sounds better then AT&T POTS when comparing the two with one of the phones stated above. the iPhone 5 is about equal to AT&T POTS (on a western electric, or certain cordless phones) for me

We have a set of 4 Panasonic phones. The set (included answering system) was like $120. We also have a MagicJack for traveling and stuff. No matter what internet connection I'm using, it sounds horrible. Cuts, clicks, garbled sound.

We have a set of 4 Panasonic phones. The set (included answering system) was like $120. We also have a MagicJack for traveling and stuff. No matter what internet connection I'm using, it sounds horrible. Cuts, clicks, garbled sound.

We're using two sets of Panasonic cordless phones that I bought late last year. They redesigned their phones around last year and they have much better sound quality then they did with the previous models. They were the absolute best sounding cordless phones on the market I could find at the time (Uniden, Vtech, and the AT&T branded ones would hum, click, hiss, and usually had poorer range)

and then all over the house is Western Electric phones because I like their sound quality best (and I collect them for a hobby)

We also have an Ooma as our second line, that has excellent sound quality, especially when calling another VOIP user like someone with Comcast Voice.

Back when I had AT&T as a cellphone provider there was a huge difference between using my iPhone 4 and the POTS or Ooma lines at home. Now that I'm on Sprint like I said before it is almost as good as the POTS line.

I was an AT&T iPhone user from 2007-October 2012 and just got a Sprint iPhone 5. I must say that I am impressed with Sprint's voice quality compared to AT&T. Constantly had trouble hearing what the guy on the other end was saying, constant distortion, echoes, overall crappy tinny voice quality.

But I'd rather trade that for slower 3G speeds and better voice quality in the meantime until NV rolls out in Austin. I am excited at how much better it'll be once they've turned the whole market over and upgraded all the towers. They will definitely give AT&T and Verizon a run for their money.

• Like 1

Ive resigned to the fact that i just miss much of what is said when i talk to friends on verizon and att around here . Its not enjoyable or easy and usually makes me want to hangup as soon as possible. Friends with sprint? Could talk all day long. The codec / rate sprint uses is second to none

• Like 1

I moved to Sprint from AT&T in 2010. I was really surprised at the voice quality. It was equal to a landline with a very good signal. And the voice was usable all the way to one/zero bars of service.

It was so good, that I abandoned local landline telephone service a few years ago. Don't miss it one bit.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

I don't want to make you feel old but I've never had a landline since I moved out of my parents house; neither has my wife since I've known her. Except for my brief stay with AT&T (for the iPhone 3GS until the 4S was released) I've been a Sprint customer since high school.

I don't know anyone my age who still has a landline.

I don't want to make you feel old but I've never had a landline since I moved out of my parents house; neither has my wife since I've known her. Except for my brief stay with AT&T (for the iPhone 3GS until the 4S was released) I've been a Sprint customer since high school.

Although that was technically possible when I left the house in 1994, it was not financially feasible to have only a wireless phone until 2000 or so. Well, at least if you talked to anyone. ;)

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Because of my experience with Hurricane Andrew, I will always have a landline. Landlines work when nothing else does, and they're not expensive.

I haven't had a landline since I left my parents house. I have only had a cell phone since then. I have a Sprint Phone Connect, but only because it has unlimited calling for $20/mo.

Oh wait! Strike that. I just got Vonage a week ago. Otherwise, I didn't have a landline from January 2004 to October 2012.

Ive resigned to the fact that i just miss much of what is said when i talk to friends on verizon and att around here . Its not enjoyable or easy and usually makes me want to hangup as soon as possible. Friends with sprint? Could talk all day long. The codec / rate sprint uses is second to none

Verizon traditionally has always been awful for me, but recently I switched my dad's AT&T GSM Tracfone over to a Tracfone that works on Verizon and was astonished at the fact that it actually has good voice quality! VQ is good enough that I don't wanna hang up right away or scream into the phone (like it was back when he was using AT&T Edge)

Still Verizon is noticeably worse then Sprint, even on a good handset but at their absolute best Verizon can sound much better then we are accustomed to from them.

• 1 month later...

Because of my experience with Hurricane Andrew, I will always have a landline. Landlines work when nothing else does, and they're not expensive.

With my experience during hurricane Sandy the ONLY thing that worked was my cell phone.

I guess it all depends.

• 2 months later...

AT&T has really solid voice quality in my region of the country.

Am I in the outlier here? Verizon is super-compressed here. Sometimes it also cuts volume from really soft to really loud and back. I haven't really talked enough on Sprint to make a fair judgment of where they stand.