What was Sprint thinking releasing this PART 2?

JohnHovah

I just saw this on Android Police

This is Sprint's first LTE-powered tablet, and packs a bit of a spec boost over the Wi-Fi model:

• 10.1" 1280x800 display
  • 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon MSM8960
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB built-in storage, microSD card slot
  • 3MP rear shooter, VGA front camera
  • 10.1 inches x 6.9 inches x 0.38 inches, 1.29 lbs.
  • Android 4.0

Like most other recent device announcements, there's no word on pricing or availability, only that it "will be announced at a later date." Cool.

If this was a Galaxy Note 2 10.1 LTE I may be jumping for joy and screaming SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Seriously though, only 8GB's on a tablet running ICS+ ! that leaves about 5.8 gbs of usable space??? that is one decent game and maybe one or two downloaded/cached movies or tv shows before you start hitting low space errors.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Full Source Link

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/09/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-10-1-lte-making-its-way-to-sprint-in-the-near-future/

I could not care less about only 8 GB of internal storage. Keep the 8 GB tablets coming. I do not "veg out" watching movies or playing video games on my tablets. If I want to watch a BD or play Nintendo Wii, I have invested over $10,000 in audio/video equipment that is far better suited to those tasks.

AJ

• Like 2

I just saw this on Android Police

This is Sprint's first LTE-powered tablet, and packs a bit of a spec boost over the Wi-Fi model:

• 10.1" 1280x800 display
  • 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon MSM8960
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB built-in storage, microSD card slot
  • 3MP rear shooter, VGA front camera
  • 10.1 inches x 6.9 inches x 0.38 inches, 1.29 lbs.
  • Android 4.0

Like most other recent device announcements, there's no word on pricing or availability, only that it "will be announced at a later date." Cool.

If this was a Galaxy Note 2 10.1 LTE I may be jumping for joy and screaming SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Seriously though, only 8GB's on a tablet running ICS+ ! that leaves about 5.8 gbs of usable space??? that is one decent game and maybe one or two downloaded/cached movies or tv shows before you start hitting low space errors.

Full Source Link

http://www.androidpo...he-near-future/

It has a Micro SD slot. If your soo worried about space then just add your own. Simple

• Like 3

I have the same thoughts... I have a 32 gig HP Touchpad loaded with ICS CM build. Tablet works great and love it for the price I got it at, but didn't need all that storage space but they didn't have any 16gb's available.

As long as a device has a micro SD slot then there's no issue. Slap in the card you need and call it a day.

• Like 4

I have to agree with the other posts. As long as it has the MicroSD then there is no problem. I have a 32gig Prime, and I barely use more than 10 gigs worth of memory, everything else is in the cloud. Floating somewhere high above me ready to be used whenever I need it

-Luis

• Like 1

I bought a 32GB ASUS Transformer and honestly, should have saved the $70 or $100 and gotten a 16GB. I never came close to filling it and had to have a MicroSD for the original root/unlock methods.

Toss a 32GB or 64GB MicroSD in there and you've got everything you could ever want.

Like most have already said, with a micro sd card slot who cares how much internal storage it has. Besides, my aging samsung tab 10.1(16gb) is still holding its own.

Isn't that exactly what it is? I mean, didn't they say? The Note10.1LTE hit the FCC OET a bit ago...

I'm with the others;

8 gig + microsd = ok

8 gig + no microsd = bad bad bad

I have an 8 gig nexus 7, and I had to delete nearly every other game of significant size to install/update bards tale or horn.

I don't know if its specific to the n7 or jellybean, but it starts freaking out when free space gets below 200 or so megs, which when you only have about 5.7, gets even more cramped.

Isn't that exactly what it is? I mean, didn't they say? The Note10.1LTE hit the FCC OET a bit ago...

The link mentions galaxy tab 2 10.1 which is a different device than the galaxy note 10.1.

• Like 1

The link mentions galaxy tab 2 10.1 which is a different device than the galaxy note 10.1.

Well that's- ooohhh, I see. Yes, you're right. This is the Tab 2.

A questions... If you add a card to increase storage, how can you place things on it. I know a few apps have special installs to go on a card, but other than photos, video or audio, how do you get your new programs to install on the card? Also I have heard cards are much slower than internal memory.

Thanks!

• Like 1

A questions... If you add a card to increase storage, how can you place things on it. I know a few apps have special installs to go on a card, but other than photos, video or audio, how do you get your new programs to install on the card? Also I have heard cards are much slower than internal memory.

Thanks!

Go into the application options in android and move it to the SDcard after the install.

As for speed, it all depends on the card. If you but a true Class 10 card, then you should get great speeds.

I could not care less about only 8 GB of internal storage. Keep the 8 GB tablets coming. I do not "veg out" watching movies or playing video games on my tablets. If I want to watch a BD or play Nintendo Wii, I have invested over $10,000 in audio/video equipment that is far better suited to those tasks.

AJ

I too have much invested in superior A/V equipment but that does not help when travelling by plane, train or automobile. Not everyone has this problem. I bought my 2 year old nephew a tablet and he sure can benefit from having a lot at his fingertips to learn or occupy his time. The same goes for several of my older family members (grandparents, non tech savvy.) the cloud is not available everywhere all of the time.

And in my particular case I prefer to cache play movies/books/tv shows for those times I will be travelling and not have the best connection for streaming. Anyone who has ever used wifi on a plane would probably agree.

• Like 1

Go into the application options in android and move it to the SDcard after the install.

As for speed, it all depends on the card. If you but a true Class 10 card, then you should get great speeds.

Perhaps I have not been clear. Android 4.0 and up do not have that option available to them as Google has done away with it.

Perhaps I have not been clear. Android 4.0 and up do not have that option available to them as Google has done away with it.

I'm running 4.0.4 and I can select any app and have a move to sdcard button, sometimes it is greyed out

Sent from my CM9 Galaxy S2 using Forum Runner

It has a Micro SD slot. If your soo worried about space then just add your own. Simple

adding microsd cards is not the problem here. I have no problem doing that to add my own content. My main point here is that the minor amount of usable space cuts down on the number of applications, or cached content from the play store you can reasonably place on a device. Perhaps Google will address this at a later point in time, but as it stands now, most content and app data cannot be forced onto the sd card in Android versions 4.0 and higher

Thanks!

If you are running a recent version of Android, you cannot.

• Like 1

I'm running 4.0.4 and I can select any app and have a move to sdcard button, sometimes it is greyed out

Very few applications can take advantage of these gingerbread features, I have a fully loaded 32gb transformer with 2 64gbs microsd class 10 cards in it. one in the dock and one in the tablet. I can speak from experience that not many of these applications can be moved at all and i believe the few that can seem to be those optimized for earlier versions of Android.

Some apps utilize the proper coding to load their extra data to a card if available, but given that there exists many devices without any external user loadable memory they seemed to be designed in a one-size-fits all manner one way or the other

It appears that most apps are now trying to store their additional data on SD Cards. (finally)

where the problem will still lie, is cached content, I will check my devices and see if recent software updates have addressed the issue yet. Play movies/tv/books stored cached content on the device and i was receiving low space errors on my 32gb transformer with its added 128gbs of microsd (64gbx2)

UPDATE : Confirmed - Cached media content still reside solely on the device regardless of an external microsd, therefore you will need to remove tv shows, movies, etc from the device to make that space available again. So, yes, a tablet that travels will need to have more onboard storage available so that a few movies, magazines or TV shows won't eat up all of your usable space

Edited by JohnHovah

Very few applications can take advantage of these gingerbread features' date=' I have a fully loaded transformer with 2 64gbs in it.[/quote']

Good God man, I had a 32gb tf101 that I could only full when I had a bunch of movies for a trip. I never came close to filling it's app storage or internal storage.

What are you loading on this tablet?

on my htc evo 3d, 4.03 (meanrom) I can move apps to sdcard.

it has less than 1g of usable built in storage

maybe its different for non-htc or something newer than 4.03, I can't check my n7 since unfortunately it don't have sdcard.

Good God man, I had a 32gb tf101 that I could only full when I had a bunch of movies for a trip. I never came close to filling it's app storage or internal storage.

What are you loading on this tablet?

sorry guys, I just updated my post above.

Most App data will store to external memory but cached content will not.

also on an aside, there are three types of memory available in 4.0+

Device Data

USB Storage (also part of the onboard device memory)

SD Card (external obviously

Let me give you one example

Renaissance THD takes up 797MB's total and only 433MB's are loaded to the SD Card

Bard's Tale takes up 3.35gbs total but they have updated it so that only 35megs of internal storage are used (PHEW!)

Google Play Magazines currently takes up 639MB's with only 4 magazines on the device at the moment (all of which is on the device and not sd card)

Google Play Music currently takes up 2.09GB's (all of which is on the device and not sd card)

Google Play Movies eats up over 3GBs with one movie and 2 tv shows on the device

I use the sd card in the dock for my personal user loaded content, and everything else eats up the internal memory and microsd in the tablet.

On a positive note, if you have digital/ultraviolet copies of movies that are linked to uvvu/flixster, the cached movies and media will be placed on the SD card. Flixster currently takes up 1.8gbs of space overall: 1.79gbs of it on sd (only 2 movies cached; prometheus-790mb, sherlock holmes-1gb,