Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

I really wish I could say there was another tower active, but...that strip of purple really hasn't changed over the last week or so and I've been by it a number of times with no 4G to be found on my EVO LTE. There just seem to be a number of over-achieving phones out there picking up the two sites that we know to be active. This town is being covered with stray purple dots and stripes of 4G that isn't usable. My theory is that they have sites set to have the greatest coverage right now at the expense of usability until more sites come on line. It gives the appearance of greater activity.

There won't be many adjustments. Probably in between the these two cells since they are pretty close but that's probably already set. Look at the Flannery/Old Hammond site, it's eastern neighbor is all the way in Denham Springs. They are going to have to squeeze out all the coverage they can from these sites in order to cut down on the islands of LTE. So any downtilt would kill the coverage on this site. We're going to look like a Wimax coverage map until 800SMR LTE is here 100%. The tower spacing was designed for 1X handsets with external antennas on them. Luckily 800SMR will fix a LOT of these issues.

I saw the purple on sensorly yesterday.

Yeah, I did not have my phone with me a couple of days ago, when I saw the 4G icon on another phone, so I could not do any Sensorly-ing. Yesterday I went driving with Sensorly.

Also, I again received 214 on W Esplanade while driving around... I think it is the site on the Causeway.

I figured it has been so dead around here for a few, I figured I would see who would notice Sensorly or the worksheet first... he he he :) I am surprised it took this long!

I saw it the other day and saw someone updated the sheet. I appreciat the update. I was waiting to see if someone noticed as well. Pretty dead is the word. I've been around town a few places and haven't seen a thing at any sites. Ghost town.....

There won't be many adjustments. Probably in between the these two cells since they are pretty close but that's probably already set. Look at the Flannery/Old Hammond site, it's eastern neighbor is all the way in Denham Springs. They are going to have to squeeze out all the coverage they can from these sites in order to cut down on the islands of LTE. So any downtilt would kill the coverage on this site. We're going to look like a Wimax coverage map until 800SMR LTE is here 100%. The tower spacing was designed for 1X handsets with external antennas on them. Luckily 800SMR will fix a LOT of these issues.

I was just playing around a bit with sensorly and google earth and noticed that:

• We have stray purple dots from Siegen to Central, a distance of about 14 miles north-south, and
  • From downtown to Denham Springs, also a distance of about 14 miles, east-west.
  • The Florida/Sherwood and Old Hammond/Flannery towers are relatively close together, about 2 miles apart.
  • On my EVO LTE I was able to hold on to the 4G signal from about I-12 going north on Sherwood to Greenwell Springs at the Comite River, a distance of about 6 miles.
  • Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to check my phone reception east to west.
  • These are all crow-flying distances.

So what does all this mean? Anecdotally, there are other phones out there (Note2, iPhone, others?) that can detect 4G LTE about twice as far from the tower as my EVO LTE, but when I was picking it up, it was usable. Others (digi or dbrow?) will have to say whether what they were picking up was usable.

Anyway, that's my elementary analysis of the data at hand. Wouldn't it be nice to have data from more than just two towers? :wacko:

The dot downtown was done with an EVO LTE. It was done from an elevated position. As were the dots on the old bridge, 190/I110 interchange, Siegen I-10 (some were on the ground though), and the trail leading from I-12 to I-10 towards New Orleans gets stronger as it goes elevated. The random spots in Central (Gurney, I can snag that one every time and pulls 2-3 megabits, upload speedtest fails), Hooper, etc were done on the ground. But yet from that same Sherwood site at one mile away is a dead zone due to the panel beamwidths chosen for further coverage.

Wish we could send messages to these Sensorly users as that isn't me by any means mapping on Siegen. I try to stay out of that area.

Why is the LTE Ping here in New Orleans so high, haven't seen anything lower than 80, other cities with Sprint LTE usually get lower than 50. What determents the Ping?

Backhaul is the biggest factor. It needs to meet 90ms at acceptance to get approved. 80ms is still very fast for wireless technology if you think about it. I sometimes get 120ms+ on VZW LTE.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Backhaul is the biggest factor. It needs to meet 90ms at acceptance to get approved. 80ms is still very fast for wireless technology if you think about it. I sometimes get 120ms+ on VZW LTE.

80 is good im not complaining I just didnt see why we are getting 80+ when other cities usually get 50-

80 is good im not complaining I just didnt see why we are getting 80+ when other cities usually get 50-

You're only seeing a few select screenshots. If you could see all the performance everywhere on every network and every city you would see a huge range.

Also the difference between 50ms and 80ms is so slight, you can't even couldn't almost detect a pause between two beeps spaced 30ms apart. That's three hundredths of a second.

• Like 1

I don't get it what does the ping represent?

Ping is the length of time in milliseconds a data packet takes to go from your device, through the internet to a remote server and back through the internet back to your device.

Megabits per second is only part of the story. Ping is the other part in measuring performance. It's kind of like a car, horsepower is great. But if it doesn't have good torque, it's not very useful.

That's the way an internet connection is. The better the ping, the better the performance. High speed with poor ping feels mediocre. Low speed with great ping feels mediocre. High speed, great ping equals outstanding combination.

A high speed connection with poor ping, usually means bad routing through the internet. Either the routing adds unnecessary length in distance travel, or there are bottlenecks that it goes through that slows it down.

Think of the download speed and ping like a road trip to a destination. Your device is Point A, and the server is Point B. There may be 100 different paths to Point B. And your car may travel 60mph. The 60mph speed doesn't change, no matter what. However, one path will get you to your destination with the least amount of delays, stop lights, congestion, etc. The other path will take longer. Even though you travel 60mph on both routes, one is going to take less time.

The same is true of the internet speed test. Ping measures how long it takes to get there, regardless of your speed. Your connection may be travelling at 60mbps, however, there are different routes to the destination on the internet. The ping is the time it takes to get to Point B and back. The Mbps (or kbps) is like the speed in mph through the internet.

Does that make sense?

Satellite internet has horrible pings even though the speeds may be good. Because they have to travel all the way up to space and then back down to earth. So internet speeds alone are not enough to judge the quality of a connection. However, as we were talking about above, 30ms is not noticeable in any practical application, including gaming, VoIP or video conferencing.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I would think that may improve as more sites are brought online. That should distribute the devices connecting for 4G a bit more and lower demand on any single tower and its backhaul.

Ping is the length of time in milliseconds a data packet takes to go from your device, through the internet to a remote server and back through the internet back to your device.

Megabits per second is only part of the story. Ping is the other part in measuring performance. It's kind of like a car, horsepower is great. But if it doesn't have good torque, it's not very useful.

That's the way an internet connection is. The better the ping, the better the performance. High speed with poor ping feels mediocre. Low speed with great ping feels mediocre. High speed, great ping equals outstanding combination.

A high speed connection with poor ping, usually means bad routing through the internet. Either the routing adds unnecessary length in distance travel, or there are bottlenecks that it goes through that slows it down.

Think of the download speed and ping like a road trip to a destination. Your device is Point A, and the server is Point B. There may be 100 different paths to Point B. And your car may travel 60mph. The 60mph speed doesn't change, no matter what. However, one path will get you to your destination with the least amount of delays, stop lights, congestion, etc. The other path will take longer. Even though you travel 60mph on both routes, one is going to take less time.

The same is true of the internet speed test. Ping measures how long it takes to get there, regardless of your speed. Your connection may be travelling at 60mbps, however, there are different routes to the destination on the internet. The ping is the time it takes to get to Point B and back. The Mbps (or kbps) is like the speed in mph through the internet.

Does that make sense?

Satellite internet has horrible pings even though the speeds may be good. Because they have to travel all the way up to space and then back down to earth. So internet speeds alone are not enough to judge the quality of a connection. However, as we were talking about above, 30ms is not noticeable in any practical application, including gaming, VoIP or video conferencing.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I totally got it thanks for explaining, but whats the numbers from good to bad ping time or I should say range?

I totally got it thanks for explaining, but whats the numbers from good to bad ping time or I should say range?

The lower the better. My DSL sits at 300 ms during the middle of the night. During the day it is 1000-2000 ms. Both of those numbers are rather pathetic for wired service. Typical pings I see on decent connections range from 30-75 ms. Anything below 100 ms isn't bad and most things function without a delay. Much higher and you can start having a delay with realtime applications that degrades performance. To test your ping you can go to pingtest.net

I thought I would add that an airave works with my connection. There is a lot of delay and clipping but it works. My download is suppose to be 1 mbps but it rarely gets above about .3-.5 mbps and upload is a whole 192 kbps.

Edited by userkv8031

why aren't they showing on Sensorly?

If they aren't showing on Sensorly then no one has mapped them yet. Or you may have to zoom in closer, every now and then newer Purple may not show until zoomed in pretty closely. Or at least that has been my experience.

• Like 1

It also seems to be a lot of work getting up LTE sites in the sticks. It is slightly irksome that one can get LTE almost in Folsom, but not in the French Quarter, CBD, or Uptown.

They've been kicking it in the sticks though.