Expected Data Speeds on 1xAdvanced?

koiulpoi

There are places in the market I live in where Sprint service barely reaches. Places where roaming on VZW happens at least half the time, and even that, barely. Towers are sparse; this is a rural area, and 4G LTE will only reach so far out of town. And yet it's covered in Sprint customers, many thanks to iDEN migrations; areas where Nextel voice worked fine all day every day.

I'm expecting that 1xAdvanced (and, perhaps later, LTE) on 800 MHz will alleviate some of these problems, at the very least getting voice to everyone.

So my question is, what kind of data speeds can be expected on 1xAdvanced? Similar to 1XRTT on Sprint now? Faster? Slower? Not at all?

• Like 1

There are places in the market I live in where Sprint service barely reaches. Places where roaming on VZW happens at least half the time, and even that, barely. Towers are sparse; this is a rural area, and 4G LTE will only reach so far out of town. And yet it's covered in Sprint customers, many thanks to iDEN migrations; areas where Nextel voice worked fine all day every day.

I'm expecting that 1xAdvanced (and, perhaps later, LTE) on 800 MHz will alleviate some of these problems, at the very least getting voice to everyone.

So my question is, what kind of data speeds can be expected on 1xAdvanced? Similar to 1XRTT on Sprint now? Faster? Slower? Not at all?

1xRTT can support download speeds up to a blazing 144kbps. 1xAdvanced can support greater speeds than this, depending on how it is deployed by the carrier. It is possible to get 300kbps+ speeds out of a 1xA carrier.

However, Sprint will likely deploy their 1xAdvanced to maximize capacity, which will reduce the throughput speeds. This is because with Sprint only having one CDMA 800 carrier for voice customers in low signal areas (and in building coverage), I believe that the number of users on a CDMA 800 carrier will be more important than 1x data speeds. So I would be surprised to find speeds greater than approximately 130-140kbps.

• Like 4

About what I expected, honestly. But...

5vapv6.jpg

Getting consistent 140 would be a blessing in said parts of this market. I don't even think LTE 800 is really going to help this market much, as VZW's LTE 700 doesn't even reach to most of these places (at least, as far as I've seen; don't have a device to do extended testing on)

Getting consistent 140 would be a blessing in said parts of this market. I don't even think LTE 800 is really going to help this market much, as VZW's LTE 700 doesn't even reach to most of these places (at least, as far as I've seen; don't have a device to do extended testing on)

However, Verizon is not deploying their LTE 750 on every site. Whereas Sprint is deploying LTE on every site in their network.

Robert

• Like 1

However, Verizon is not deploying their LTE 750 on every site. Whereas Sprint is deploying LTE on every site in their network.

Robert

Absolutely. Does VZW have LTE on any frequencies other than 750? Because, observing their coverage maps, I'm very certain the same tower Sprint uses (a few hundred feet behind where I work) is also leased by them. That, and I haven't seen anything else that could be it.

Perhaps LTE 800 will work out well anyways, as it is, like you said, on every cell tower. We need something like that here. Beautiful scenery... until you look at it from a cell provider point-of-view. Then it's a nightmare of hills and trees and farmland and metal buildings.

Absolutely. Does VZW have LTE on any frequencies other than 750? Because, observing their coverage maps, I'm very certain the same tower Sprint uses (a few hundred feet behind where I work) is also leased by them. That, and I haven't seen anything else that could be it.

Perhaps LTE 800 will work out well anyways, as it is, like you said, on every cell tower. We need something like that here. Beautiful scenery... until you look at it from a cell provider point-of-view. Then it's a nightmare of hills and trees and farmland and metal buildings.

Currently, VZW is only deploying LTE on 750. They have long term plans to use AWS for additional LTE capacity. But they will not likely start deploying for probably another year, and only as/where needed.

Robert

• Like 1

Currently, VZW is only deploying LTE on 750. They have long term plans to use AWS for additional LTE capacity. But they will not likely start deploying for probably another year, and only as/where needed.

Robert

That is kind of scary imo. All of their current phones will be stuck with the single overloaded 700 carrier with no hope for additional capacity. I think in this regard AT&T has done a much better job than others. Their phones have supported aws from the get go and now their new ones support 850.

Sprint hasn't done bad, their phones also support bands in 1900 A-F for capacity but SMR and BRS from the start would have been better.

sent from my 3VO from another EVO

That is kind of scary imo. All of their current phones will be stuck with the single overloaded 700 carrier with no hope for additional capacity. I think in this regard AT&T has done a much better job than others. Their phones have supported aws from the get go and now their new ones support 850.

I would not give AT&T any extra credit in that regard. Sure, AT&T's LTE devices have supported AWS from the beginning. But that point is moot as long as AT&T has not deployed any LTE in AWS. And several of us surmise that AT&T never will deploy anything in AWS now because it had to divest so much AWS to T-Mobile as part of the merger break up. In many markets, AT&T gave up all of its AWS, and nationwide, AT&T lost much of its economy of scale to deploy AWS.

But the next 6-12 months will likely tell the story. The iPhone 5 has unleashed the uneducated public's interest in LTE, and both AT&T and VZW have great numbers of iPhone 5 piling on to their LTE networks. Both AT&T and VZW are of similar size, but AT&T relies upon the iPhone as a sales tool far more than VZW does. Furthermore, AT&T has many current markets -- some examples include Los Angeles, Chicago, and Charlotte -- in which AT&T has deployed only an LTE 700 5 MHz x 5 MHz FDD carrier. AT&T lacks the second, adjacent Lower 700 MHz license in those markets to deploy 10 MHz x 10 MHz FDD. In other words, AT&T has to support roughly three times the number of subs as Sprint does in the same 5 MHz x 5 MHz FDD capacity that Sprint is initially deploying. In those LTE spectrum challenged markets, AT&T will use its AWS spectrum in the next several months or will never use it at all.

AJ

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

I may be over the line here, but have you tried using a VZW PRL? This would probably give you better speeds for when you really need it. Sorry if I'm not allowed to discuss this here.

Sent from a mobile toaster

You are subject to roaming. You can use 300mb before getting in trouble.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

when I see "ör a majority of kilobytes", this (to me) indicates that if you are a heavier data user, they may be more forgiving with or a have a soft limit. If you consistently used 3GB+/month on network, I would venture to guess that as long as you are in the ballpark of 10% or less of total data used off-network they wouldn't suspend you.

Anyone have a good source on this or from Sprint internals? I was quoted this when I began service in 1998 (no more than 10% usage off nework). Of course terms and conditions change over the years, but the present (see below) doesn't seem completely ironclad.

"Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

Full terms here http://shop2.sprint....acy_popup.shtml

We'll see what happens this month, as I'm probably going to go over the 300mb.

Keep us in the loop.. Come to think of it, I should check my usage history.

5vapv6.jpg

Ewwwww

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Ewwwww

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Double ewwwwwww??? I just got 120ms ping and 30kbps both up and down here in san diego (server in new mexico? I think Robert may be trying to pull my phone into his galactic collection :D)

Here I thought late Sunday evening saw a fairly low cell load

• Like 1

Double ewwwwwww??? I just got 120ms ping and 30kbps both up and down here in san diego (server in new mexico? I think Robert may be trying to pull my phone into his galactic collection :D)

Here I thought late Sunday evening saw a fairly low cell load

New mexico? I have server connections all through the Midwest and eastern Rockies all the time taking speedtests anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Keep us in the loop.. Come to think of it, I should check my usage history.

Do it through Sprint.com, not the usage history on the phone, unless you are always on a Verizon PRL. Although that's probably obvious, you never know.

Do it through Sprint.com, not the usage history on the phone, unless you are always on a Verizon PRL. Although that's probably obvious, you never know.

I do on occasion check my usage of all active lines.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We'll see what happens this month, as I'm probably going to go over the 300mb.

Eh.... Ive used over 2 GB of roaming data before and 15 GB of on network usage, I've read somewhere that as long as your roaming usage stays under 50% of your on network usage(hence majority of kilobytes) then it SHOULD be okay...

• Like 2

Eh.... Ive used over 2 GB of roaming data before and 15 GB of on network usage, I've read somewhere that as long as your roaming usage stays under 50% of your on network usage(hence majority of kilobytes) then it SHOULD be okay...

You still run the risk of getting in trouble. I used to limit myself to 300 mb (I don't force roam anymore as the 3G network is now more than adequate, so I roam less than 10 mb a month).

Anything above 300mb could put you in jeopardy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

And several of us surmise that AT&T never will deploy anything in AWS now because it had to divest so much AWS to T-Mobile as part of the merger break up. In many markets, AT&T gave up all of its AWS, and nationwide, AT&T lost much of its economy of scale to deploy AWS.

AJ

Do you think TMUS would like to purchase the remaining AWS? 

It seems that TMUS' deficiency is not in capacity/spectrum but in cash to build out LTE quicker and to more people.

Once they remove the HSPA+ in AWS, how much will they have for LTE? 2x10 MHz at minimum? And that's at AWS, not 700MHz so they're gonna have capacity up their wazoo! . . .  in the cities.

In those LTE spectrum challenged markets, AT&T will use its AWS spectrum in the next several months or will never use it at all.

AJ

I have a hard time believing it decides to not use it all! This is AWS so the capacity improvements are . . . alot?

Do you know the real-world ratio of how many AWS towers can be squeezed in one 700MHz cell?

Yes, scale is an issue but . . . AWS is the only cleared spectrum available for use in LTE that ATT's phones support now.

What other options does it have?

Well the iPhone 5 does secretly support LTE on Band 5 (850 MHz) and Band 2 (PCS).

But ATT is using 850 MHz for voice, right? So Band 2 then.

Even Verizon's phone has Band 2 support cause it's a subset of Band 25.

Will ATT+VZW deploy in Band 2/25? There's definitely gonna be scale there as all 4 carriers have PCS (though I have no idea if all 4 have the free or nearly-free spectrum to deploy).

TMUS certainly does, its "we're gonna waste 2x5 for GSM-roaming and M2M" nonsense notwithstanding. (did I use that word correctly?)

http://www.fiercewireless.com/pages/slides-t-mobile-usa-and-metropcs-merge

Wireless carriers have shown they absolutely don't care what phones support now.  Look at Verizon and AWS.  ATT will build out WCS and add support to future phones.  The problem fixes itself over time.