Expected Data Speeds on 1xAdvanced?

koiulpoi

That document was extremely informative for me cause I used to think it took tens of billions $$$ to rollout LTE; my respect for the current Tmobile plummeted after I realized they COULD have a national US network if they really wanted.

No, no, no, the document is relevant only to AT&T, not T-Mobile. You cannot come to the same conclusion about T-Mobile based on that evidence. AT&T already had bought up a vast network of rural sites and treasure chest of sub 1 GHz spectrum. The same cannot be said for T-Mobile.

AJ

Just trying to will Tmobile into at least LTE-ing all their current sites by Sep 2014 when I have to switch to them.

Just trying to will Tmobile into at least LTE-ing all their current sites by Sep 2014 when I have to switch to them.

T-Mobile better adopt Metro's sites in Florida. Wehere they cover, they cover better than T-Mobile.

T-Mobile better adopt Metro's sites in Florida. Wehere they cover, they cover better than T-Mobile.

"According to Wells Fargo Securities senior analyst Jennifer Fritzsche, MetroPCS explained that by eventually moving its customer base over to the joint LTE network it will look to decommission approximately 10,000 of its current 11,500 cell sites at a cost savings of up to $7 billion. The remaining sites, along with MetroPCS’ approximately 6,000 distributed antenna system deployments would be retained."

http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20121116/carriers/metropcs-decommission-10000-sites-part-t-mobile-usa-deal/

"According to Wells Fargo Securities senior analyst Jennifer Fritzsche, MetroPCS explained that by eventually moving its customer base over to the joint LTE network it will look to decommission approximately 10,000 of its current 11,500 cell sites at a cost savings of up to $7 billion. The remaining sites, along with MetroPCS’ approximately 6,000 distributed antenna system deployments would be retained."

http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20121116/carriers/metropcs-decommission-10000-sites-part-t-mobile-usa-deal/

At least in Florida Metro's site selection reflects that of Verizon who has a formidable 1900PCS spaced network in Florida. T-Mobile not so much.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12124

I don't see any reason why AT&T can't purchase a lot of this spectrum.  It's not like T-Mobile needs it and Verizon may be limited in that auction with the enormous amount of AWS they have yet to deploy.  I don't think many agree with me that AT&T will do this, but it's certainly a possibility.

Is there even a band class for that?

The closest one is 

10 AWS Extended

2110-2170, 1710-1770

http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php

But even that band doesn't contain 10MHz on both downlink and uplink so I think they're gonna make another band?

1755-1780MHz

Why in the world would you know that you "have to switch to" T-Mobile?

AJ

AJ

I think this is predicated on Charlie totally Fubar'ing the whole Sprint/Clearwire/Softbank merger to all kingdom come.  There might be quite a few ship jumpers if that all falls through and Son decides to acquire TMobile US whole and own a substantial chunk in Clearwire or have a network sharing agreement in place.  

AJ

Price.

I'm on VZW and gonna have to get family plan with:

2 iPhones

1 slider

TMO:

$90 plan

$20+20+5 = $45 phone payment

Total: $135

Unlimited talk, text, 500MB data + unlimited throttled

After two years, phones are paid off and I'll add unlimited data and price will stay the same.

I'd like to switch to Sprint but that'd cost me:

$300/month for unlimited everything.

Too much. I don't need unlimited everything and if Sprint were to offer a similar plan to Tmobile's where you get unlimited throttled data after certain full speed amount, I'd go with Sprint.

Verizon and att would cost me ~$160 and I'd have to constantly monitor to make sure we don't go over 1GB.

Too bad Sprint insists on pairing their unlimited talk to unlimited data.

Sprint's loss. Whichever carrier I pick for the family plan, I'd end up staying with for at least until the phones die.

Although, if ATT's AIO wireless gets a reasonable family plan, I'd probably switch to them from TMO for the coverage after two years.

Price.

Again, I am not sure how you 'know' that you "have to switch to" T-Mobile fully 15 months in advance.  In terms of pricing and strategy, a lot can change in that span of time.

What is interesting about T-Mobile's current non subsidy strategy is how it probably bifurcates much of the subscriber base.

On one hand, you have the financially well off, cutting edge urban dwellers who like to upgrade devices at least once per year.  They do not want to wait for subsidies to trigger upgrade eligibility, so they do not benefit much from subsidies.  They can afford to and choose to pay full freight for their devices.

On the other hand, you have the financially poor and/or technologically challenged urban dwellers.  They are attracted by T-Mobile's low monthly plan costs, but they must also be satisfied in keeping the same devices for 4-5 years -- long after they have become decrepit -- in order to make the lack of subsidies worthwhile.  Otherwise, those who want new high end smartphones every 20 months are in for a $700 rude awakening.

AJ

• Like 2

Price.

2 iPhones

1 slider

Too much. I don't need unlimited everything and if Sprint were to offer a similar plan to Tmobile's where you get unlimited throttled data after certain full speed amount, I'd go with Sprint.

I have 3 phones on my account, Unlimited everything, LTE devices, with the new TEP charges and with my corp discount I pay just over $200 a month including all taxes, hidden charges, etc.

Where are you getting $300/month?

Edit in:

Even if I include what I paid for my phones ($300, $200, $0=$500/24=$20/month on top) it's still under $300.  Without discount, it would be around $250, including upfront phone costs.

• Like 2

Price.

2 iPhones

1 slider

TMO:

$90 plan

After two years, phones are paid off and I'll add unlimited data and price will stay the same.

Verizon and att would cost me ~$160 and I'd have to constantly monitor to make sure we don't go over 1GB.

Sprint's loss. Whichever carrier I pick for the family plan, I'd end up staying with for at least until the phones die.

Although, if ATT's AIO wireless gets a reasonable family plan, I'd probably switch to them from TMO for the coverage after two years.

Everything Data Share 1500.

Two smartphones: $150.

Talk and Text phone add-on: $20

So that's $170. $10 more if the third phone is also a smartphone instead (so $180).

You get unlimited data, unlimited text, free nights and weekends starting at 7, free any mobile to mobile (so, when you call cell phones, it's free), and you get 1500 minutes to call landlines and businesses during normal business hours.

I have yet to see a family plan with this setup get anywhere near that 1500 minutes. Most cell phone calls are to other cell phones, so for almost everyone, this is "unlimited everything".

Naturally, go with the plan and service that works best for you, but for not having to worry about data overages or being at 1X speeds for half a month after using my 500 MB, it's worth it to me.

• Like 6

Price.

2 iPhones

1 slider

TMO:

$90 plan

Everything Data Share 1500.

Two smartphones: $150.

Talk and Text phone add-on: $20

So that's $170. $10 more if the third phone is also a smartphone instead (so $180).

You get unlimited data, unlimited text, free nights and weekends starting at 7, free any mobile to mobile (so, when you call cell phones, it's free), and you get 1500 minutes to call landlines and businesses during normal business hours.

I have yet to see a family plan with this setup get anywhere near that 1500 minutes. Most cell phone calls are to other cell phones, so for almost everyone, this is "unlimited everything".

Naturally, go with the plan and service that works best for you, but for not having to worry about data overages or being at 1X speeds for half a month after using my 500 MB, it's worth it to me.

I was just getting ready to type the same thing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

?

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12124

The Federal Communications Commission has informed the National Telecommunications and Information Administration that it plans to hold an auction for wireless spectrum in September 2014. By law, the FCC must give the NTIA 18 months notice of such auctions. The auction will be for two spectrum bands, 1695-1710MHz and 1755-1780MHz. The NTIA had already indicated that it would reassign the 1695-1710MHz block from government to commercial use. The FCC has to auction off and license that spectrum for use by February 2015. Similarly, the FCC needs to reallocate and license the 2155-2180 MHz band by 2015. The CTIA and wireless industry in general would like to see the 2155-2180MHz block paired with the 1755-1780MHz block for commercial use. The 1755-1780MHz block is currently being used by the government, though the government is researching the possibility of sharing that spectrum with commercial entities.

I don't see any reason why AT&T can't purchase a lot of this spectrum. It's not like T-Mobile needs it and Verizon may be limited in that auction with the enormous amount of AWS they have yet to deploy. I don't think many agree with me that AT&T will do this, but it's certainly a possibility.

ATT should purchase Dish's spectrum and as a condition, FCC should force ATT to sell its remaining AWS (to TMO!).

ATT would love it because it gets another proprietary band a la Band 13 AND its 20x20.

If ATT does buy it, will they petition 3gpp and FCC to move the uplink up by 5 MHz cause of the H-block issues?

Tmobile would get more AWS spectrum though I'm not sure if they can afford it cause they need to save up for 600 MHz.

FCC would like it cause the smaller guy gets strengthened.

I was just getting ready to type the same thing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ditto.  We have 4 smart phones plus a Mifi with 12GB on the Everything Data Share 1500 plan and pay ~$281 a month.  With 4 people and the unlimited mobile-to-mobile for any carrier we've NEVER gotten anywhere close to using 1500 minutes.  So I really don't see why it's necessary to have "unlimited" anytime minutes.