Bird is The Word : Some more info on NV bird issue

Interesting, half a ton of bird nest...

No wonder they don't just push the nest off.

You would think they would be smart and build another platform above the antennas.

Now that would be a great idea! :)

Interesting, half a ton of bird nest...

No wonder they don't just push the nest off.

You would think they would be smart and build another platform above the antennas.

Birds would probably still make their nest inside the antennas. Just the way I currently see birds on certain branches instead of the top of the tree. :P

We actually had a guy from the EPA come and hire us to hang a fishing line at the top of the tower with the reel at the bottom. We then rigged a owl or some other predatory bird on the line so they could raise and lower it to keep the birds off. This tower was in Starke, Fl if you have ever been in that area I'm sure you know the tower I'm talking about. Has bird crap all over it which is why the EPA got involved to begin with. I has been watching tower like a hawk since I found this site and at least in the Pinellas county area Osprey are not a concern. So hopefully we can see some progress here in Florida soon..

We actually had a guy from the EPA come and hire us to hang a fishing line at the top of the tower with the reel at the bottom. We then rigged a owl or some other predatory bird on the line so they could raise and lower it to keep the birds off. This tower was in Starke, Fl if you have ever been in that area I'm sure you know the tower I'm talking about. Has bird crap all over it which is why the EPA got involved to begin with. I has been watching tower like a hawk since I found this site and at least in the Pinellas county area Osprey are not a concern. So hopefully we can see some progress here in Florida soon..

Starke. Ahhh...what a fine community. :devilangel:

I have a lot of family in that area, especially in Keystone Heights. I know the area very well.

Robert

It's depressing to consider how many of these affected sites are backhaul complete and ready for improvements. However, there are probably hundreds of others that are not backhaul complete and they cannot move on to. Dilemma, dilemma.

Robert

700 towers! Crazy stuff there... Wouldnt of thought it would of hit that many of the towers they had tried to start on already... Just bad luck there...

Though can't imagine what it'd be like to deal with climbing up a tower with one of those suckers in it. Guess those birds are not "in season" right now....lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

What I'm hoping for is that with the delay of getting panels in the air, the backhaul and radio stuff can be completed while they wait. I think we will know if one of Roberts weekly updates we see large numbers in Florida being accepted. This might be a blessing in disguise. Might

• Like 2

What I'm hoping for is that with the delay of getting panels in the air, the backhaul and radio stuff can be completed while they wait. I think we will know if one of Roberts weekly updates we see large numbers in Florida being accepted. This might be a blessing in disguise. Might
I like this post, a lot.

I used to live down in Melrose, my first job was in Keystone Heights, and my first car insurance office was located in Starke. </offtopic>

Melrose, eh? Did you ever go to Interlachen High School? I graduated from there in 1994.

Robert

Melrose, eh? Did you ever go to Interlachen High School? I graduated from there in 1994.

Robert

no I stayed down there for about a year after i graduated high school in 2000. I have a couple cousins that went to Interlachen though they are about 8-9 years younger than me. Love that area though, its so isolated and couldn't get a sprint signal for crap when i visited a couple months ago.
  • Like 1

What did birds do before towers existed?

What did we do before cell sites existed? We never really lived. Oh my gosh!

AJ

Torch the nests' date=' I don't care if even a bald eagle lives there. I'm tired of crappy 3G almost everywhere I go. What did birds do before towers existed?[/quote']

Nested in forests..... that we cut down.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I haven't been able to find a "thread" for the topic of birds on towers, so I figured I would start one. Since I am new to this forum, and have gleaned a lot of new information about the topic of cellphone service and radio waves, I figured someone out their would have experience with nesting birds on cell towers. Over the past few days, I have gone around to various cell sites that are providing service for me while at work, home, or while driving to and fro. During this survey I noticed that about half of these locations have nests on them, and at least one was confirmed active. I understand the birds (Osprey and Eagles) for example are protected and the nests cannot be disturbed. But what are the guidelines for such a dilemma? Does Sprint for instance, have to wait until the nest is abandoned, bird expires, or are the regulations more concerned with a date range (mating season)? Any information on this topic would be appreciated since at this time, I'm under the assumption these towers cannot be updated anytime soon.

• 2 months later...

I found these guys yesterday, June 21, 2013, working on a tower in south "Orlando" performing a tower upgrade for T-Mobile. As you can see in the photo's, this tower is occupied by a large birds nest and is active. I spoke to one of the workers who stated work on towers with active nests are possible with special permits. Of course, their are always exceptions; but just because a nest is present does not necessarily mean work can never be performed as I have been led to believe in the past. This is the second tower this week in which I have found tower work being conducted with active nests. The second tower is located in Sanford, across the street from the Seminole County Courthouse (criminal).

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

uploadfromtaptalk1371854652074.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371854704641.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371854739304.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371854786993.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371854821860.jpg

They should plan ahead and upgrade these towers in non-breeding season.

Tower companies do place a more attractive tower specifically designed for large birds to nest upon very close to cell towers to prevent this happening. As large birds can be very territorial and won't allow birds to nest on the close cell tower.

I found these guys yesterday, June 21, 2013, working on a tower in south "Orlando" performing a tower upgrade for T-Mobile. As you can see in the photo's, this tower is occupied by a large birds nest and is active. I spoke to one of the workers who stated work on towers with active nests are possible with special permits. Of course, their are always exceptions; but just because a nest is present does not necessarily mean work can never be performed as I have been led to believe in the past. This is the second tower this week in which I have found tower work being conducted with active nests. The second tower is located in Sanford, across the street from the Seminole County Courthouse (criminal).

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Next time it happens, call the EPA. When EPA enforcement arrives, walk over and eavesdrop and see if he tells the officer the same thing.

I stopped at a Tmo site a few months ago and asked to see his permit. The foreman had a very good story planned explaining why he didn't need one. Since I work for the State, I knew he was full of crap. I pulled up the State website that showed him that he needed an electrical permit for his work. Then his story changed. Plausible deniability.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Next time it happens, call the EPA. When EPA enforcement arrives, walk over and eavesdrop and see if he tells the officer the same thing.

I stopped at a Tmo site a few months ago and asked to see his permit. The foreman had a very good story planned explaining why he didn't need one. Since I work for the State, I knew he was full of crap. I pulled up the State website that showed him that he needed an electrical permit for his work. Then his story changed. Plausible deniability.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Such BS. I love having a fast mobile connection but we don't need to break laws to get it.