Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

Yes they DO pay you.... And i believe it is a pretty good amount per month!!!!

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.

I have a friend that had a sprint antenna on the back of his home in Yabucoa, they paid him around 4K for having it there.

• Like 1

I have a friend that had a sprint antenna on the back of his home in Yabucoa, they paid him around 4K for having it there.

That IS a great income on the side!!!!

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.

This map is a lie. You will only get 4g in all those those red areas in the absolute best of cases.

Then that wouldn't make it a lie. But I agree that Sprint's maps are way over generous for the what most people will encounter.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

You are correct. It says "when using your device outdoors under optimal conditions." Unless you work outdoors and better yet flying a helicopter I think given their currently deployed towers you will be disappointed. Given their current rollout speed I have high hopes but if you run out and add a sprint line using this map for expectations you will be seriously disappointed. Just to give an example I was playing with a phone in the sprint store at San Patricio during lunch today. Had no LTE and the speed was so bad I gave up trying to run any test. This is right in the Sprint store.

I think the map on Sprint's site indicates that it shows "expected outdoor coverage"

You are correct. It says "when using your device outdoors under optimal conditions." Unless you work outdoors and better yet flying a helicopter I think given their currently deployed towers you will be disappointed. Given their current rollout speed I have high hopes but if you run out and add a sprint line using this map for expectations you will be seriously disappointed. Just to give an example I was playing with a phone in the sprint store at San Patricio during lunch today. Had no LTE and the speed was so bad I gave up trying to run any test. This is right in the Sprint store.

No carrier provides indoor coverage maps. They can't. No carrier can guarantee indoor coverage anywhere. There are too many variables involved with differing building types/materials that it is a complete crap shoot.

Also, Sprint has overly generous coverage maps. But the new ones are more accurate than Tmo and Verizon. On Tmo with my Nexus 4, I only get data coverage in the top two shades of green. The other two are completely non existent coverage. On VZW, where it shows extended LTE coverage I never get a signal either.

Carriers just cannot build maps on the worst case scenario. Models only take topography into account. They cannot account for buildings and foliage and those can really impact coverage. Especially in lower signal areas. And then there is huge variability between devices.

It is what it is, unfortunately.

• Like 3

AT&T had pretty accurate coverage maps on the day they announced LTE coverage in San Juan. They have since expanded around the island but coverage was pretty accurate on day one. Not meaning to beat a dead horse. It just frustrates me when companies set completely unrealistic expectations on day one. Unless they have made huge strides in the last week they have not enabled LTE on most of the 3G towers in the San juan area. My example of the Sprint store in San Patricio is what I consider unacceptable. This is on launch day. Why bother. Better to announce in a month when presumably San Juan will be closer to complete (me just speculating).

Hi guys. Hope everybody was ok. Im fine too. Just sign in to let you know that the LTE in San Juan is spotted and Sprint announcement is not true. For example. In the University of Puerto Rico you get LTE only in few places. If you drive to Piñero Ave. the LTE is not available. Plaza las Américas is also unavailable. Some places at Milla de Oro have LTE and others no. I think they don't need to lie about this because the LTE service is AWESOME. I get 30mb in Toa Baja, close to Candelaria, 28mb in Bayamón close to Drive in Plaza and 28mb close to Tiendita Holsum in Toa Baja. Im very Happy with the services. I don't know why they need to publish this misinformation. http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2524 . Nice to read from you again!

they're not lying, they haven't claimed the market is complete, and they're launching markets before they're completely built-out.

previously they waited to launch until they were complete, but customers started to complain.

my suggestion is to not read too much into the press release, and don't stress out about gaps in coverage. the build-out still isn't complete, so let's enjoy the available coverage for a while!

• Like 1

So then theres still hope it will get better? Even if its 100% in Puerto Rico or so they say, then the coverage map is more of a "over generous map" of what it should look like once theyre done? Because i would get 4g at my house pre-official launch in cupey and now its not there anymore. in the UPR of rio piedras i started getting LTE in some corners but even outdoors around some of the buldings the signal drops to 1-2 bars or even 1x... and it just DRAINS my battery. So im hoping theyre not exactly done yet.

So then theres still hope it will get better? Even if its 100% in Puerto Rico or so they say, then the coverage map is more of a "over generous map" of what it should look like once theyre done? Because i would get 4g at my house pre-official launch in cupey and now its not there anymore. in the UPR of rio piedras i started getting LTE in some corners but even outdoors around some of the buldings the signal drops to 1-2 bars or even 1x... and it just DRAINS my battery. So im hoping theyre not exactly done yet.

When did they say it was 100% complete?

Are metro the cell service is horrible call drop slow data but i am hopefull becase a when to vega alta and made some calls and made speed test and hit 1.5mg down so a hope they finish soon are metro i am getting tired of the drop call anf slow internet

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Can't wait for LTE in St.Thomas, it used to have wimax down here but sprint cut that off.

There has never been sprint wimax in st. thomas, now if I am not mistaken choice communication offered and still offers a wireless home internet service that uses wimax but that had nothing to do with sprint.

Sprint nor Clearwire has had WiMax operating in the USVI since I have been following them back in April 2011. And I highly doubt they had it before then either.

It is possible that you were able to connect to a 3rd Party's WiMax system if they were using EBS or BRS spectrum.

Back in 2011 or 2012 I was using a friends HTC Evo 4G on sprint and it had 4G working.

Don't know what else to really say, maybe he was on wifi but I am positive that sprint never had 4g wimax on St. thomas.

Hmm I know I saw the phone connected to 4G, though it might have been false(Phone software might have been lying about being connected). Why didn't sprint bring wimax down here? Is it because wimax was expensive(Last time i checked, wimax is more expensive than LTE, even though LTE is better) and they didn't see profit of bring wimax in this area?

Hmm I know I saw the phone connected to 4G, though it might have been false(Phone software might have been lying about being connected). Why didn't sprint bring wimax down here? Is it because wimax was expensive(Last time i checked, wimax is more expensive than LTE, even though LTE is better) and they didn't see profit of bring wimax in this area?

You sure it was a sprint phone? At&t had the HTC Inspire 4g(basically the same thing as the evo just with a newer snapdragon chip) which displayed "4g" when connected to At&t's hspa+ service which you can find here in the virgin islands but being that backhaul was a joke for any carrier here speeds were still abysmal. That's the only other explanation I can come up with.

So its st.Thomas fault speeds suck? Elaborate on the part about the backhaul, still kinda new to these terms.

not really St. Thomas' fault, it's geography's fault, it's hard and expensive to get backhaul there.

backhaul is the connection between the cell site and the internet, it's expensive to get a lot of capacity, having to get that capacity to remote places (islands like the USVI being a prime example) is even more expensive.

• Like 2

Thank you for the info. Hopefully we get LTE, Sprint 3G isn't good enough. Speeds at 1 - 3.5Mbs at night/early morning, and 0.30Mbs every other time isn't good enough. I thought the word "sprint" meant going fast...