Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Can we ask at least the general nature of this source you keep quoting?

I'd rather not say but its reliable. Feel free to speculate on my source, if you dig around enough on the forums you may be able to figure it out. I'd trust me ;)

I'd rather not say but its reliable. Feel free to speculate on my source, if you dig around enough on the forums you may be able to figure it out. I'd trust me ;)

Fair enough but your first post here said Columbus isn't getting LTE until 2014. Just making sure we aren't getting bad information..

I definitely do. I'm content without knowing, don't want to drive you away. I can tell it's not that source of "My buddy sells phones at a local Sprint store and he said we're totally not getting LTE until 2016."

I definitely do. I'm content without knowing, don't want to drive you away. I can tell it's not that source of "My buddy sells phones at a local Sprint store and he said we're totally not getting LTE until 2016."

The problem with that is am a rep and we aren't given this information. And if anyone in the store had it it would be me. I have heard what my reps tell me and it seems reliable but 2016 that's just not feasible. We are going to be live before that....now when...I don't know. I feel like sprint isn't sure because of the amounts of variables with the legacy towers, fiber, and man power just remember we all have knowledge and were pooling it together. Some have way more than us. But in the end. Network Visions goals are to be mostly completed by the end of this year nationwide. It's aggressive and we can see that. Now my birthdays May 31st so I'm going to start mapping around then since that's what I've heard would be best.

Couldnt answer that. Estimates are typically 4-6 months to build out a network.

You have to forgive us for being skeptical because people's need for attention is at an all time high. That's why some (most of us) and asking for the the nature of your source. With that said I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because a moderator hasn't came in here and slammed you yet. I just hope that you're not gassing us up. Otherwise you're dead to us :lol: I always wanted to say that.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

The problem with that is am a rep and we aren't given this information. And if anyone in the store had it it would be me. I have heard what my reps tell me and it seems reliable but 2016 that's just not feasible. We are going to be live before that....now when...I don't know. I feel like sprint isn't sure because of the amounts of variables with the legacy towers, fiber, and man power just remember we all have knowledge and were pooling it together. Some have way more than us. But in the end. Network Visions goals are to be mostly completed by the end of this year nationwide. It's aggressive and we can see that. Now my birthdays May 31st so I'm going to start mapping around then since that's what I've heard would be best.

The 2016 number was just a number that I pulled out of thin air. I was just exagerrating. If you become a sponsor you can see the maps that show what towers Sprint is already working on here in Columbus. So "work" has started. Some have reported antennas being installed, others like myself have seen fiber go in, others have seen cabinets show up, etc. So the question now isn't when work will start, but when all the work will be finished on a given tower that's in progress now. One would think it would be a matter of weeks, possibly months if they run into delays. Hopefully delays won't be common since we should have great weather.

All of the above is why I don't think anything thenight84 is saying is out of the question. It makes sense given what I've seen on the maps on the sponsor side.

My only thought is, his specifics aren't overly convenient, and they line up with several things I've heard.

Outer lying areas getting attention first, and he's rattled off a bunch of rather specific (mostly rural) cities. It's the kind of thing which would be more work to fabricate, than to just have the actual information.

Edit: I digress, his specifics are convenient to me, actually. But his post wouldn't have accounted for that.

Edited by bumonbox
  • Like 1

You have to forgive us for being skeptical because people's need for attention is at an all time high. That's why some (most of us) and asking for the the nature of your source. With that said I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because a moderator hasn't came in here and slammed you yet. I just hope that you're not gassing us up. Otherwise you're dead to us :lol: I always wanted to say that.

Ha its all good, I have no need for attention I'm just as excited as everyone is and liked to share. You can choose to believe me or not but I'm not on here to make friends. I've been following thus thread for awhile and I have an opportunity to contribute so I am.
  • Like 4

Hey all. I just signed up and have been reading the posts. I have a cabinet I need to take a picture of in Canal Winchester, It looks like one of the cabinets posted up earlier in the post. PS - The service in Lancaster is terrible!!!

Are they launching at about 50% or is it not a set percentage of sites?

Couldnt answer that. Estimates are typically 4-6 months to build out a network.

A full market build-out will likely take anywhere from 6 months to a year. Many of the markets launched last July are still being upgraded, none of them are completely finished yet.

They do not launch at any specific percentage complete. They launch when there is a usable amount of coverage across any particular city or metro. In Chicago, they didn't launch until it was almost 70% complete. In KC, they launched at around 25%. All that matters is they get enough strategic towers completed to have the right amount of coverage.

Once sites start going live with LTE, as long as nothing stall out the work, I would imagine Columbus will have enough coverage to launch in 4 - 8 months. So if the first site goes live next week, I could see them launching before the end of the year. If they're able to knock out sites at a high rate, it might even be by fall. Unfortunately, we don't have enough information to make those kind of predictions with any accuracy outside of the patterns we've already seen.

I know Robert mentioned that they are going with mostly 3G upgrades first. This is a pretty ignorant question, but is that to assume that the cabinets and the fiber are to be upgraded while leaving the RRU's in place? Or do they perform all of the work and simply don't "flip the switch" to 4G. I guess more specifically, what is the difference between a 4G site and a 3G NV site..? And yes, this ultimately leads to the next question of, why would you only do 3G first? Sorry, just trying to understand the strategy. Sprint certainly isn't giving us any feedback.

Thank you all for your help.

I know Robert mentioned that they are going with mostly 3G upgrades first. This is a pretty ignorant question, but is that to assume that the cabinets and the fiber are to be upgraded while leaving the RRU's in place? Or do they perform all of the work and simply don't "flip the switch" to 4G. I guess more specifically, what is the difference between a 4G site and a 3G NV site..? And yes, this ultimately leads to the next question of, why would you only do 3G first? Sorry, just trying to understand the strategy. Sprint certainly isn't giving us any feedback.

Thank you all for your help.

Not sure I entirely follow your question.

Your area is being upgraded by Samsung. Samsung generally generally deploys all modes of NV at the same time. You'll see some 3G only, some 3G/800, some 4G only, some 3G/4G/800.

The main reason a site may accepted as just 3G is that backhaul is not ready, or the network is not ready for 4G traffic.

Unless it happens to be a ground mount site, when a site is accepted as 3G, the 4G and 800 technologies are installed at the same time. They're just waiting for the backhaul to be connected, the 4G can be turned on.

• Like 1

Launched? Perhaps. However work is beginning in the next few weeks in the Columbus market. And it is a Samsung market, and Samsung tends to bring up the LTE side first because it is easier and doesn't have to be done in clusters like the 3G.

However, this is plausible because Sprint may have to do Columbus like Chicago. Both are legacy Motorola markets. They may have to do 3G first to minimize service disruptions from dropped calls. If so, they will have to do several months of 3G only installs.

Fortunately, the Columbus market is much smaller than Chicago, so they can bang this out much quicker. But if this is the case, I expect them to fly through the 3G upgrades because backhaul will not be an issue and the customers will be screaming bloody murder from dropped calls and service disruptions. Remember the 75-100 sites per week Samsung did in Chicago? After 2-3 months of an aggressive 3G rollout, they could start the LTE side.

If this is true for Columbus, it's also the case for Cincinnati and Cleveland. Because both of them are legacy Motorola markets too.

If Sprint and Samsung were smart, they'd do both. Have separate 3G and LTE crews. Send out the massive 3G conversion teams as planned and stick as many people on that as possible. But then have separate teams that go to each completed 3G convert and add LTE now as each site has upgraded backhaul in place to support it. That would be the best way to handle this issue.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Not sure I entirely follow your question.

Your area is being upgraded by Samsung. Samsung generally generally deploys all modes of NV at the same time. You'll see some 3G only, some 3G/800, some 4G only, some 3G/4G/800.

The main reason a site may accepted as just 3G is that backhaul is not ready, or the network is not ready for 4G traffic.

Unless it happens to be a ground mount site, when a site is accepted as 3G, the 4G and 800 technologies are installed at the same time. They're just waiting for the backhaul to be connected, the 4G can be turned on.

In researching back to find Robert's quote I may have found the answer to the question. He mentioned that they would do 3G first. I apparently glossed over or didn't want to accept the answer he provided "to prevent disruptions from handoffs".

I guess to confirm the main question, in order for a 3G NV completed site to be upgraded to 4G only backhaul needs to be provided? Is that correct?

Thanks again.

In researching back to find Robert's quote I may have found the answer to the question. He mentioned that they would do 3G first. I apparently glossed over or didn't want to accept the answer he provided "to prevent disruptions from handoffs".

I guess to confirm the main question, in order for a 3G NV completed site to be upgraded to 4G only backhaul needs to be provided? Is that correct?

Thanks again.

That's correct. So long as the site is a full build site, all the technology for 800 CDMA and LTE is installed at the same time. Just needs the backhaul and 4G carrier card to be activated, which doesn't take much work once backhaul is there.

• Like 1

That's correct. So long as the site is a full build site, all the technology for 800 CDMA and LTE is installed at the same time. Just needs the backhaul and 4G carrier card to be activated, which doesn't take much work once backhaul is there.

Thanks!

This is probably a stupid question, but can someone post a link or a picture of a NV Samsung antenna array with RRU's? As well as what the current ones look like (I assume they're Ericcson?)?

I'd like to know what I'm looking for. I've seen a thread on what the Ericcson NV builds look like, but haven't noticed one for Samsung. I probably overlooked it.

• Like 1

Im not sure if it is relevant but I have been getting a lot of 1x signals lately between W.schrock road and westerville road, Hopefully its some work getting done :D

Unfortunately I think it's just crappy service and capacity issues. Just my opinion.

Im not sure if it is relevant but I have been getting a lot of 1x signals lately between W.schrock road and westerville road, Hopefully its some work getting done :D

There's an open network ticket on that tower. No NV.