Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

I'm a lurker for the most part, since I would be next to useless in tracking down tower updates on foot.

But I did log in to say that Sprint pushed a Sprint Zone notification to my phone this morning: check out our new network upgrades in your area! or something.

So I click on it to see what they have to say, and it's most of their general press about what's coming, and a map that ostensibly shows what upgrades are taking place in a certain area.  In an area roughly encompassing the outer belt, they claim about 150 tower upgrades.

Checked the phone.  Still one bar of 3G.  Checked the Sprint website data coverage map.  Still no orange in the entire state of Ohio except the spillover from the Ft. Wayne area.

So it looks like they're still overselling the upgrade, and the most real information about how close we are is right here.

• Like 1

I'm a lurker for the most part, since I would be next to useless in tracking down tower updates on foot.

But I did log in to say that Sprint pushed a Sprint Zone notification to my phone this morning: check out our new network upgrades in your area! or something.

So I click on it to see what they have to say, and it's most of their general press about what's coming, and a map that ostensibly shows what upgrades are taking place in a certain area.  In an area roughly encompassing the outer belt, they claim about 150 tower upgrades.

Checked the phone.  Still one bar of 3G.  Checked the Sprint website data coverage map.  Still no orange in the entire state of Ohio except the spillover from the Ft. Wayne area.

So it looks like they're still overselling the upgrade, and the most real information about how close we are is right here.

That's interesting that they're starting to promote it now. Those upgrades are coming and work is under way, but they seem to be holding off on turning on LTE on sites for some reason. In other cities, LTE is available as the site is ready, but they may be changing that pattern here, or there could be one piece of the work that isn't ready yet.

So I click on it to see what they have to say, and it's most of their general press about what's coming, and a map that ostensibly shows what upgrades are taking place in a certain area. In an area roughly encompassing the outer belt, they claim about 150 tower upgrades.

Checked the phone. Still one bar of 3G. Checked the Sprint website data coverage map. Still no orange in the entire state of Ohio except the spillover from the Ft. Wayne area.

That's interesting that they're starting to promote it now. Those upgrades are coming and work is under way, but they seem to be holding off on turning on LTE on sites for some reason. In other cities, LTE is available as the site is ready, but they may be changing that pattern here, or there could be one piece of the work that isn't ready yet.

I'm still waiting to see a single site with 2-3 RRUs, haven't seen one yet, whether LTE is active or not. It would be encouraging to at least see those.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Monopole on South Hamilton near Stoneridge, no new cabinets...

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Is the monopole new? Doesn't look like new antennas or RRU's. What function does the monopole play on the tower?

I work on Morse Rd. between Karl and Cleveland. There's a tower right across the street from us. Today at lunch, I noticed two guys at the top. Drove closer and they were getting ready to hoist new equipment to the top. Sorry about the blurry pics, I was in a hurry to get back to work.

It is this tower:
TOWER

• Like 1

I work on Morse Rd. between Karl and Cleveland. There's a tower right across the street from us. Today at lunch, I noticed two guys at the top. Drove closer and they were getting ready to hoist new equipment to the top.  Sorry about the blurry pics, I was in a hurry to get back to work.

It is this tower:

I think you need to edit the tower name out as well as some of the other stuff since this is not the member side, and that is member side info.

That said, that's awesome. Looks like they're on the Sprint level of equipment to me. You should report this with the pictures in the in progress thread on the member side.

Delete the tower Code from the forum.

Sorry Andy beat me to it. Yeah, that's Sponsor info.

... But when you walk up to the tower it has the code on it. Ain't that public information?

Sent from S4GRU Mobile

As long as you are not pulling the ID from the backend sponsor area then it's fine. Site ID are public information after all as they're posted at the cell site. 

As long as you are not pulling the ID from the backend sponsor area then it's fine. Site ID are public information after all as they're posted at the cell site.

... But when you walk up to the tower it has the code on it. Ain't that public information?

Sent from S4GRU Mobile

Problem is doing a search using that information pulls information that's backend sponsor info.

I work on Morse Rd. between Karl and Cleveland. There's a tower right across the street from us. Today at lunch, I noticed two guys at the top. Drove closer and they were getting ready to hoist new equipment to the top. Sorry about the blurry pics, I was in a hurry to get back to work.

It is this tower:

TOWER

Looking at this again, what's in the second picture that you put red arrows above? Are those equipment boxes on the ground?

You are fine. Robert and the mods have said you can quote site ids as long as you cite the source as the actual tower.

No need to get worked up fellas.

• Like 1

If you list a Site ID in a public forum, and the source was a permit or a placard at the site, just reference it in your post. Otherwise, it is not permissible to quote Sponsor content.

However, Sponsors have access to our Site ID's and wouldn't go scavenging around a site to see if they can find a placard. They already know the ID's from our maps. I would typically only expect non sponsors to be the ones who may post a Site ID from the site in a public area.

Most sites do not have Site ID's posted on the fence. Probably less than 10%. Most have them either on a sticker on the RBS or on labels on equipment. These most often are not visible outside the compound fences without binoculars or zoom lenses, and then having enough familiarity with vendor equipment to know where to look. Most people (especially non sponsors) don't even know which equipment is Sprints or even if they are at a Sprint site.

It's just a good idea for Sponsors to avoid posting any Sponsor content in public forums. If you feel it is very pertinent to the post, then include it. But make sure you post a picture of it or explain where you obtained it publicly. Sponsor cannot quote Site ID's from our maps and then hide behind the probability that it's probably visible if you go there and then probably public info. That will not cut it, and lead to disciplinary action.

Many of you feel this is not a big deal. But we have had many members pay to Sponsor just to get access to Site ID's. It is a significant aid when reporting to Sprint a site problem if you know the ID. If we allow our members to broadcast all the ID's from the Sponsor section, it removes the value of Sponsoring S4GRU to many people. And if people do not donate, there will be no S4GRU for anyone. And your investment will be lost too.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

So...... I don't know about you all but I've been completely looking for the wrong RRUs. Thanks to tbs123456 in the Minnesota thread for the info. Here's the Samsung panel/RRU setup.

They werent working when I went there. Took some more pics if anyone is interested though. Ill go back later today and see if they are there. On a side note, I think tinypic has a thing for james bond. All of their captchas were bond references.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Hey I just joined to post this. I saw a couple of towers at 161 and Sunbury Road where one looks a little like the pictures above. I'll attempt to attach...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

post-18538-1370214898417_thumb.jpg

post-18538-13702149227708_thumb.jpg

post-18538-13702149355338_thumb.jpg

Check out lilotimz thread for more pictures that he combined from threads with Samsung equipment: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3906-how-to-spot-sprint-panels-and-rrus-samsung-style/

Wish we knew what the hell was going on in Columbus.. Tons of work but no LTE anywhere yet.

I know. I keep thinking we are so close yet so far away. Hey that's a song!

I went to the Memorial tournament this weekend. Data was useless. At least I had free beer to keep me happy.

Wish we knew what the hell was going on in Columbus.. Tons of work but no LTE anywhere yet.

I went to the Memorial tournament this weekend. Data was useless. At least I had free beer to keep me happy.

I honestly think there is more going on than we can see, I'm pretty sure Premier Sponsors have an exact idea on when we should get LTE. I'm trying to get to that level.

Hey at least you had that. I feel like they're waiting on something and that some members here know what it is but aren't spilling the beans.

I honestly think there is more going on than we can see, I'm pretty sure Premier Sponsors have an exact idea on when we should get LTE. I'm trying to get to that level.

I doubt that they're keeping the info on the premier sponsors side, but who knows. I get the feeling that there's some sort of green light that they're waiting on from Sprint. Doesn't make sense according to their previous launches, but I'm wondering if they're trying to have a certain amount of sites ready before turning them on at the same time. Heck, maybe they're waiting until after 6/30 and they'll just go straight to 800 Mhz 3G/LTE.

Mount Vernon , bellefontaine, and Marion will be getting lots of love too it appears.

My advice is at the end of the month everybody fire up there mapping apps and start charting. Should be fun to watch.

Your advice failed us!  Any update from your source?