Network Vision/LTE - Philadelphia Metro Market (including Lehigh Valley/Reading)

HappyHappy

http://imgur.com/PaFd7XK

Quick question. The area circled in red is my best guess for an active LTE tower in the Media, Delaware County area. This is the area known as the former Franklin Mint, and sitting in the lot of the old property I was getting 20+ mb down and consistent connection.

The area in green is a guess for another tower Sprint is on, it's a huge radio tower and also shows on network vision's site for Sprint. I, unfortunately, live just north of the green tower, so my LTE keeps trying to connect, sometimes does, and ultimately fails.

Does Sprint do random towers, clusters of towers in an area, or is there no rhyme or reason to activating LTE? Just trying to see when things will get going in my area. So close. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/PaFd7XK

Quick question. The area circled in red is my best guess for an active LTE tower in the Media, Delaware County area. This is the area known as the former Franklin Mint, and sitting in the lot of the old property I was getting 20+ mb down and consistent connection.

The area in green is a guess for another tower Sprint is on, it's a huge radio tower and also shows on network vision's site for Sprint. I, unfortunately, live just north of the green tower, so my LTE keeps trying to connect, sometimes does, and ultimately fails.

Does Sprint do random towers, clusters of towers in an area, or is there no rhyme or reason to activating LTE? Just trying to see when things will get going in my area. So close. Thanks!

I pass thru that intersection twice a week and even though sensorly shows coverage there I can never get lte, The tower you refer to is not a cell tower. The sprint site is on top of the Fair acres building.

I pass thru that intersection twice a week and even though sensorly shows coverage there I can never get lte, The tower you refer to is not a cell tower. The sprint site is on top of the Fair acres building.

Ah, thank you. Which intersection do you pass through? I'm not sure how often the phone polls for an LTE signal, but if it's anywhere near my green circle, I don't think it's strong enough for your phone to accept it.

Just had some 4G briefly on the 30 east of 29. Lost it quick and back to a next to nothing 3g signal at Paoli Hospital.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Ah, thank you. Which intersection do you pass through? I'm not sure how often the phone polls for an LTE signal, but if it's anywhere near my green circle, I don't think it's strong enough for your phone to accept it.

At 352 and 452, I run 352 from rt3 all the way to Brookhaven

So it looks like the site closest to my house is PL23XC520, which is currently listed on the map as a 3G NV site. I could've sworn they were working on that tower before (I actually saw them), and it was at that same time I started getting LTE at home. Since then, though, I've seen no LTE. I'm just wondering if all the LTE equipment is already on the tower, and they're just waiting to turn it on, or if something else is going on. I was quite hopeful a few weeks ago, and now I'm losing hope :/.

So it looks like the site closest to my house is PL23XC520, which is currently listed on the map as a 3G NV site. I could've sworn they were working on that tower before (I actually saw them), and it was at that same time I started getting LTE at home. Since then, though, I've seen no LTE. I'm just wondering if all the LTE equipment is already on the tower, and they're just waiting to turn it on, or if something else is going on. I was quite hopeful a few weeks ago, and now I'm losing hope :/.

Well someone must've heard me complaining. . .

ana6ypag.jpg

These speeds are faster than my home WiFi, though ping is slightly slower as are upload speeds. In the below screenshot, the top 3 results are my home WiFi, the next 3 are on LTE, and the final 3 are when I was tethered to a WiMAX device.

bu5u5usy.jpg

I guess I'll stick with the home WiFi for now, but it's nice to have options :). Now I just have to wonder if it's on for good now?

• Like 1

Don't know when LTE kicked on again in West Philly but it's been fast and consistent. Hope this is permanent and not another tease.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Where in West Philly are you? I'm near Clark Park and the signal seems to come and go, and is never really that fast. My strength is always around -100 to -115 when it's on.

Where in West Philly are you? I'm near Clark Park and the signal seems to come and go, and is never really that fast. My strength is always around -100 to -115 when it's on.

I'm near 56th Market St. Been on 4G since my last post. Signal strength at time of this post is -88 dBm.  (I don't know if that's good or bad).

I'm near 56th Market St. Been on 4G since my last post. Signal strength at time of this post is -88 dBm.  (I don't know if that's good or bad).

The lower that number (actually higher cause its -) the better!

Wow, that's pretty awesome actually. 4G keeps going in and out over here (closer to 42nd and Spruce), and it definitely never comes indoors.

Getting my first taste of 4g in Philly. Waited over a year for it, was one of the first to get a LTE phone from Sprint. Getting a decent signal at Baltimore Pike and 420. Then I saw it for the first time in the Lehigh Valley near Hellertown. Actually in Hellertown was the best rate.

post-17581-0-28073800-1369273226_thumb.png

• Like 1

I think a new LTE site in Center City went up.  I live at 16th & Fitzwater with full bars with bandwidth of 10MB down / 2MB up and latency under 60ms as of last night.  

I was getting LTE reception before but barely with no bars or one bar and unusable as it would crap out and switch to 3G.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw tmobile has lte active in philly hoe did they install that so fast

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They have been installing it since last Fall. And they are adding it to sites that already are connected to their high speed network. It's a simple overlay for them to add LTE.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm happy to report that as of last night, Ardmore went live. I'm in Wynnewood, and am getting some pretty decent speeds (~8-12mbps) and I took LTE readings up Lancaster Avenue. Ardmore was in the 3-4mbps range, and then it faded into 3G by Ardmore Avenue. No more LTE from there on up, though I didn't get any further west than Wayne.

I get consistently inconsistent results in Ardmore. Along Lancaster Ave sometimes I get 4G, sometimes not.  I've been watching closely between Cricket Ave/Station Rd and Wynnewood Plaza (Peace a Pizza to Panera Bread).  May have learned today that if you'r emoving it's slower to switch from 3G to 4G, 

After looking at the Sensorly maps, I watched as I drove through Narberth on Montgomery Ave today. Pulled into the Staples parking lot and had only 3g. But after about two minutes it switched to 4G, did a few speedtests and saw 18-23 down/8-10 up.  Driving west, lost 4G at McClenaghan Mill Rd.

Whoever is gathering the results for the Sensorly maps gets better results than I do. 

Well I'm done. After competing another cross country trip and needing to rely heavily on my phone, I had the worst service I have ever experienced with sprint in 17 years.

In markets where they had "completed" their build out such as South Bend Indiana and Louisiana service was pretty bad and consistency much slower than my at&t 4g on the iPad. The kicker was at daytona International Speedway where sprint is a major sponsor and I was roaming the entire time I was there. Unreal and unacceptable.

Back in my home market I can't even download an attachment. I was so excited when I saw LTE and even more so when I saw it expand. Problem is that while it's going on I'm paying a lot for a severe lack of service.

I'll keep following along and let you know the data speed difference. At&t is making me too good an offer to bring my company phones over for me to resist.

Good luck all.

post-12193-13702929565377_thumb.jpg

Well I'm done. After competing another cross country trip and needing to rely heavily on my phone, I had the worst service I have ever experienced with sprint in 17 years.

In markets where they had "completed" their build out such as South Bend Indiana and Louisiana service was pretty bad and consistency much slower than my at&t 4g on the iPad. The kicker was at daytona International Speedway where sprint is a major sponsor and I was roaming the entire time I was there. Unreal and unacceptable.

Back in my home market I can't even download an attachment. I was so excited when I saw LTE and even more so when I saw it expand. Problem is that while it's going on I'm paying a lot for a severe lack of service.

I'll keep following along and let you know the data speed difference. At&t is making me too good an offer to bring my company phones over for me to resist.

Good luck all.

You have to do what's best for your business.  Also note that service is not built out in neither South Bend or Louisiana.  It sounds like NV 2.0 with 800MHz service was really more what you needed from Sprint all along.  With AT&T, you'll get that low frequency spectrum now.  Sprint is just starting to roll that out, and it's going to take some time.  Best of luck to you.

Robert

• Like 2

Did nv stop in allentown pa

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I am sitting in the parking lot of Wegmans on 191. I have been roaming then after Sprint service came back I am on 1xrtt, Then back to roaming. I have been in the area since 8am and it is still switching back and forth. Hopefull this is a good sign.

I am sitting in the parking lot of Wegmans on 191. I have been roaming then after Sprint service came back I am on 1xrtt, Then back to roaming. I have been in the area since 8am and it is still switching back and forth. Hopefull this is a good sign.

Do you mean Wegmans on 512?  In Bethlehem?

My service has been terribly spotty lately in much of the Valley...