Network Vision/LTE - Oklahoma Market

Serious

I'm at the glenpool site. I see 3 rru's per sector. Evdo a, no LTE. No 800 yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Given its location, I'm pretty sure this is not a high capacity site. So there is probably one CDMA 1900 RRU, one CDMA 800 RRU and one LTE 1900 RRU. :tu:

Robert

• Like 1

Dang, the location on Google maps is correct and they really are using the high power transmission line tower (been driving around investigating all the towers in the immediate area). I didn't know they did that.

Unfortunately can't get close, though I did pull off of the interstate and climb the hill to get a look.

Can't really see what's going on except that there are only four antennas mounted? Nobody in the tower area on a Saturday morning.

Didn't have my SLR/telephoto lens with (just took a little detour on the way to the office) so took some cell phone shots for what those are worth. I'll have to run out to the truck and forward them to email usable from the office.

So it seems they're working on OK03XC424 (SE 71st & Dogwood, or where I-40 & I-240 split) about three miles S of my house.

(Looks like the Google map location is about a 1/3 mile off, actually identifies a high power transmission line tower, an unlikely place for cell antennas)

Weird, don't recall ever connecting to it (maybe because I'm on the other side of the transmission lines and up the hill?). At my place you usually connect to OK54XC400 (NE23rd & Westminster) four miles N and two miles W. Then if you walk to the back of the house you'll switch to the tower at NE23rd & Harper (sorry, don't know the designation, not in the upgrade list) and have your call dropped. Verizon is on these same two towers.

Anyway, just wondering if there was any information I could gather on this tower that anyone would be interested in.

If it's the one I think it is then from Google maps looks like I can get close to it to get some pics.

Would have to borrow my GF's Photon Q to get any phone info as I've been on Verizon for the last year and 1/2 (couldn't wait around for Sprint but would love to go back for lower cost).

Not much to show in these cell phone pics from a distance of OK03XC424, except that it's curious that there are only four antennas on the tower.

Not much to show in these cell phone pics from a distance of OK03XC424, except that it's curious that there are only four antennas on the tower.

i cant tell by the pics but have they brought in any new equipment? what are ping times like? For a rural site 4 antennas should be more than adequate.

Number of antennas are really irrelevant depending on the equipment. I know some high capacity sites with one legacy antenna per sector.

That is just a two sector site.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

Caught some work being done in Bixby in 2 sites. First site has a few new Sprint panels as well. So i have now talked to the towers unlimited folks and techsico!

kdlpqb.jpg

2hi7z87.jpg

2cwu5xk.png

However ping time at my house when i turned off wifi was almost 900ms

• Like 1

Not exactly sure why but today in particular the network has acted fussy.

And unsure if there is any direct correlation but there are 3 Ericson trucks in the hotel parking lot near my home

Has that glorious day finally arrived?

If they are upgrading the way they said they were, we won't have much longer to wait. I'm expecting to see a utility line to the top of my local site any day now.

So do you sneak their schedule off their dashboard? ;)

Just kidding of course.. I am sure these guys get approached by weirdos all the time looking to steal something. So when I approach them I always make sure I do not appear as a threat or safety issue from failing debris from a climber.

• Like 2

Has that glorious day finally arrived?

If they are upgrading the way they said they were, we won't have much longer to wait. I'm expecting to see a utility line to the top of my local site any day now.

I don't know what glorious day you speak of is ;) I have no idea how far underway the build is at this point. To my knowledge we've only had 2 weeks of work...

• Like 1

I don't know what glorious day you speak of is ;) I have no idea how far underway the build is at this point. To my knowledge we've only had 2 weeks of work...

Were they Erricson marked trucks? They could be inspectors.

I bet they're inspectors. A couple sites may be close.

Samsung will have to inspect the Ericsson towers and then Sprint will accept them an turn them on. I would be curious to know just what all upgrades have been completed.

hryihk.jpg

• Like 1

So do you sneak their schedule off their dashboard? ;)

Just kidding of course.. I am sure these guys get approached by weirdos all the time looking to steal something. So when I approach them I always make sure I do not appear as a threat or safety issue from failing debris from a climber.

Hahahah oh yes I came in from the sunroof of the truck and took the file on the dash marked "confidential" :)...................jk jk! Nope I just told them about s4gru and they pretty much just tell ya what's going on, they seemed pretty transparent to me.

Sure would be nice to get some better coverage in N Bixby. Kiddo at 115th between Mingo & Garnett has to have an AirRave at home. Seems a strange place to have no coverage, you can throw a rock into either Tulsa or Broken Arrow from there.

Looks rural but it's at the split of I-40 & I-240 in Oklahoma City city limits. Lots of freeway traffic to the eastern 'burbs.

Hard to check out as I have to park on the freeway shoulder and climb a hill to see the tower, no access from the street, but I'll get back over there to see if anything's changed. It does show as In Progress in the NV Sites Complete thread as of today.

The antennas on the left side of the pic are in the general direction of the I-240 traffic to the west, the right side antennas look to point away from the interstate by around 135 degrees, so I'm not understanding the configuration. But then I'm not sure what the radiation pattern looks like for one of these antennas either.

Sorry, don't have a personal Sprint phone right now, just paying for five on my account. Will have to borrow the GF's phone to gather some data. I'd upgrade my old gray-haired mothers phone (more accessible) but that would freak her out as she can barely use her granny phone.

i cant tell by the pics but have they brought in any new equipment? what are ping times like? For a rural site 4 antennas should be more than adequate.

Number of antennas are really irrelevant depending on the equipment. I know some high capacity sites with one legacy antenna per sector.

That is just a two sector site.

Sure would be nice to get some better coverage in N Bixby. Kiddo at 115th between Mingo & Garnett has to have an AirRave at home. Seems a strange place to have no coverage, you can throw a rock into either Tulsa or Broken Arrow from there.

Without double checking I think your child in bixby is about 2.5 miles from a tower. A lot of folks have airaves,my dad has one at 61st and memorial. Rf won't penetrate the brick. 800mhz will help eventually.

Without double checking I think your child in bixby is about 2.5 miles from a tower. A lot of folks have airaves,my dad has one at 61st and memorial. Rf won't penetrate the brick. 800mhz will help eventually.

Yep, I have an airave, and I'm in Jenks, off of Main St. half a mile east of 75. I can't get a decent signal until I get half way to Tulsa Hills, Riverside, or the Creek Tpk. Calls go straight to voicemail if I'm 20 feet beyond my driveway in my neighborhood.

Do you guys believe the Glenpool tower you and lynyrd65 have been discussing will impact my voice or data coverage? Early on, from everything that I was hearing on here, I thought that NV work wouldn't impact coverage. Now with recent discussions, I'm not so sure.

Yep, I have an airave, and I'm in Jenks, off of Main St. half a mile east of 75. I can't get a decent signal until I get half way to Tulsa Hills, Riverside, or the Creek Tpk. Calls go straight to voicemail if I'm 20 feet beyond my driveway in my neighborhood.

Do you guys believe the Glenpool tower you and lynyrd65 have been discussing will impact my voice or data coverage? Early on, from everything that I was hearing on here, I thought that NV work wouldn't impact coverage. Now with recent discussions, I'm not so sure.

Coverage change Will be minimal until CDMA 800 comes online

Yep, looks like under 2 miles to TU54XC304. I wonder how the coverage can be so very poor there unless the signal is supposed to be concentrated up and down the Creek Turnpike, which is virtually perpendicular to a line from the tower to their house.

Now I've gotta go look to see if their 4S and Galaxy SIII support 800MHz.

edit - They're maybe even a little closer to TU13XC458 on Memorial between 101st and 111th.

Yep, looks like under 2 miles to TU54XC304. I wonder how the coverage can be so very poor there unless the signal is supposed to be concentrated up and down the Creek Turnpike, which is virtually perpendicular to a line from the tower to their house.

Now I've gotta go look to see if their 4S and Galaxy SIII support 800MHz.

edit - They're maybe even a little closer to TU13XC458 on Memorial between 101st and 111th.

I know the GS3 supports 800 voice

Saw two trucks down at the site at 114th and memorial. No men on the tower yet.

Think of how wrong this sounds.... you drive around looking for dirty, sweaty, nasty men climbing towers all day long just so you can take pictures of them. My wife pointed this out to me several months ago laughing at me.

• Like 2