Network Vision/LTE - Oklahoma Market

Serious

While I haven't seen any activity in person in OKC, I think I might have spotted NV-style cabinets in OKC on NW Expressway at the site that sits atop Weokie Credit Union. There are also several panels that look new (they're very white as opposed to off-white like the rest). I'll try to get a closer look with a good zoom lens this weekend.

Exciting news for sure! I know exactly what you mean about the panels, my local site has become dark grey. I can't wait to see some clean new panels in the OK!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Exciting news for sure! I know exactly what you mean about the panels, my local site has become dark grey. I can't wait to see some clean new panels in the OK!

I hope I'm not wrong! This is a hard site to survey because it's all on top of the building, cabinets included. I didn't see any RRUs, but I didn't have time to really look very hard, either. I can't imagine there would be new Sprint panels on this building if they weren't for NV, especially considering this is a very busy part of town. T-Mobile also has a site on this rooftop, but I know which panels are theirs because I saw them working on it recently for the refarm.

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy to think that ardmore and Muskogee would get any action before Tulsa (or OKC) just given how overloaded the network is here. Stilwater and Lawton I get (OSU and Tinker AirForce Base, respectively).

Yeah they don't do it based on pops or anything because of the scale of what they're doing.... but it'd be nice. Not to mention the perception would change far more rapidly which I promise you is hurting them in Tulsa at least.

It's crazy to think that ardmore and Muskogee would get any action before Tulsa (or OKC) just given how overloaded the network is here. Stilwater and Lawton I get (OSU and Tinker AirForce Base, respectively).

Yeah they don't do it based on pops or anything because of the scale of what they're doing.... but it'd be nice. Not to mention the perception would change far more rapidly which I promise you is hurting them in Tulsa at least.

They deploy based on which markets are ready (as fast as possible).

As far as deploying in Tulsa and OKC vs Muskogee, Sprint's announcements can be misleading. They are actually working on the entire market not just those specific towns. Tulsa could be getting upgrades at least as fast as Muskogee (3 sites a week or so) but Muskogee was announced first because it only has 4 sites to begin with (in other words finished in a month or so) whereas Tulsa has hundreds of sites and won't be close to finished until late 2013.

but they only announced that it's begun, whereas they've not said that re: OKC or Tulsa. not a big deal as it'll get done at some point anyway, but it's just a rather curious option and just for my curiosity's sake, I'd love to know the set of criteria that makes one town ready before another, or rather how they prioritize one town over another.

Think about it. If Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Ardmore and Muskogee started on the same day, which one(s) do you think will complete first? This is the answer to your conundrum.

It is elitist and arrogant to say that Sprint should not dare start work in other Oklahoma towns until the entirety of its largest cities are covered. Sprint is converting its entire network. Network Vision affects every one of their 38,000+ sites. They all need to be worked on. Fixating on a priority of communities is wasted energy and serves no purpose.

Many of us live in smaller communities. We deserve a better network too.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

I'm not disagreeing, I was just curious as to why not fix the most saturated sites first, rather than ones in communities (like, lets say Ardmore) that won't help as many customers get a better experience sooner. Yes obviously I want the whole thing fixed - I spend just enough time in smaller towns like Poteau (and even Muskogee) to care about them personally a great deal. It just - to me - makes more sense to attack the problem by prioritizing sites (regardless of location) that are the most overloaded first as that would seem to me to remedy some of the perception (and reality) of an overloaded and broken network sooner. This might even push Tulsa and OKC even farther down the list. I know when I was in LA a while back it was absolutely pathetic even trying to make a call (!) which is something I absolutely love about Sprint is my ability to make a call here is second to none.

Again ultimately none of this academic discussion matters because it'll get completed regardless and I fully admit I know very little regarding the complexities of building an entirely new network from the ground up like the logistics of coordinating with contractors and vendors.

I'm not disagreeing, I was just curious as to why not fix the most saturated sites first, rather than ones in communities (like, lets say Ardmore) that won't help as many customers get a better experience sooner. Yes obviously I want the whole thing fixed - I spend just enough time in smaller towns like Poteau (and even Muskogee) to care about them personally a great deal. It just - to me - makes more sense to attack the problem by prioritizing sites (regardless of location) that are the most overloaded first as that would seem to me to remedy some of the perception (and reality) of an overloaded and broken network sooner. This might even push Tulsa and OKC even farther down the list. I know when I was in LA a while back it was absolutely pathetic even trying to make a call (!) which is something I absolutely love about Sprint is my ability to make a call here is second to none.

Again ultimately none of this academic discussion matters because it'll get completed regardless and I fully admit I know very little regarding the complexities of building an entirely new network from the ground up like the logistics of coordinating with contractors and vendors.

If you have a site ready in Ardmore, and you have people sitting around waiting to work, you send them. It's that simple.

Sprint is doing Network Vision as fast as possible. Every site that can be worked on in a market is being worked on. If they were deploying like Verizon, then they would choose sites to be worked on first and then they would wait until those sites are ready. However, Sprint isn't doing that since they are upgrading every site. So they don't need to wait on sites. Whichever sites are ready, they get moving. Period.

If people found out there were sites that could be worked on, but Sprint was waiting around doing nothing until more important sites in larger cities were ready, they'd be pissed about that too. But that is exactly what Verizon did.

This I guess comes leads to the question: What makes one site ready and another not ready? Are they not all ready or is there something I'm missing?

Backhaul readiness is the biggest issue. Backhaul in rural communities is usually easier. Sites are often right at local ILEC switches. Also, rural areas usually require no permitting for backhaul runs.

Also, then there are different types of sites, tower mount and ground mount. Ground mounts are quicker and easier to install, and are most often in rural areas.

And furthermore, smaller towns tend to have less red tape, planning, zoning and permitting issues for the NV upgrades. All these factors give an edge for these sites to get started first in many instances.

Like it was said above, Sprint and its subcontractors started working in the entire Oklahoma market. Started logistics planning, permitting ordering equipment, etc. And the very first sites being worked on are the very first sites where everything has come together already to allow work to begin. In most markets, there is ample supply of guys to work. They are chomping at the bit. The second there is a site ready for them, they jump on it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, for what its worth OKC actually has already been announced, (as having LTE in the coming months).

I'm excited but at the same time I don't have many problems with my 3G connection (some areas have degraded significantly but are still usable).

Are you having issues in your part of town?

Also, then there are different types of sites, tower mount and ground mount. Ground mounts are quicker and easier to install, and are most often in rural areas.

I hope you're right about them coming back to replace legacy panels with better engineered support and new NV panels later.

I think the rural areas are the ones that need 800 service the most (besides areas like Chicago for capacity's sake).

Also, for what its worth OKC actually has already been announced, (as having LTE in the coming months).

I'm excited but at the same time I don't have many problems with my 3G connection (some areas have degraded significantly but are still usable).

Are you having issues in your part of town?

yeah. Two in particular are regular sources of frustration.

By 71st st and 169. The target and that area. All bit unusable 3G data.

The other is on 61st st just west of Sheridan. My wife's family lives back in there and whenever we are over in that area 3G is useless. It's pathetic on all carriers there. VZW, AT&T and Sprint. Other than the freight elevator at work, it's the only place I've ever dropped a call on Sprint in the past decade.

yeah. Two in particular are regular sources of frustration.

By 71st st and 169. The target and that area. All bit unusable 3G data.

The other is on 61st st just west of Sheridan. My wife's family lives back in there and whenever we are over in that area 3G is useless. It's pathetic on all carriers there. VZW, AT&T and Sprint. Other than the freight elevator at work, it's the only place I've ever dropped a call on Sprint in the past decade.

71st and 169 is without a doubt the area with the most data hungry users and the area with the most subs per site.

I doubt any provider will serve the area well except maybe Sprint in the future with 2.5ghz.

I can understand why data should crawl there (malls, stores, theaters, restaurants all tightly packed).

I think things will definitely improve with new back haul and equipment but within 2-3 years I expect it to get bogged down again.

Has anyone reported a rogue LTE connection in the OKC area yet?

Is "a few months" the timeframe everyone's been told for our area?

In don't expect any sites live in OKC for at least 60 days. We haven't had any reports of sites In Progress yet, nor any field reports from members. They may only be working on GMO sites first (Ground Mount Option), as they are faster and easier to install.

In don't expect any sites live in OKC for at least 60 days. We haven't had any reports of sites In Progress yet, nor any field reports from members. They may only be working on GMO sites first (Ground Mount Option), as they are faster and easier to install.

Thanks for the response Robert. I just upgraded to an LTE enabled phone and I'll be reporting back as soon as I see a connection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
any word on when they will start work in oklahoma or is there somewhere we can check the status of upcoming work on the towers?

Work has started in the Oklahoma market. There are a number of towers that are in progress right now. In the sponsors section of the forums, we have a map tracking the progress of all NV sites across the country. It will likely be some time before we start to see LTE, but we do have photos of sites in progress in the area.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

i forgot to add the Muskogee part to my question. sorry but thank you for the quick reply

I can't check on your particular area from my phone, but when we say work is starting in the market, it means the whole region. We don't know when any particular area will start, but Sprint, and their subcontractor Ericsson, is sending crews all over the state, and work will be going on in every city soon. That's about all the information we have right now. Hope that helps to answer your question.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

i forgot to add the Muskogee part to my question. sorry but thank you for the quick reply

Sprint announced toward the end of december that Muskogee (and Ponca City, Stillwater, and a few more) are in progress. The sponsor section has more specifics on Oklahoma on the Maps, but Sprint has started to dip their big toe into the OK market and Muskogee is certainly going to be a part of that.
  • Like 1