Network Vision/LTE - Oklahoma Market

Serious

Still waiting to get the 5S from Sprint. It's been ordered since launch.

Really?  My brother ordered white & gray/silver on October 11th and got it on Friday morning.  My mom on the other hand is still waiting for her white/gold 5S. 

I really hope in the next week things happen in Tulsa.

-Will

Mine is the gold 32GB.  I guess Apple forgot to make any for Sprint lol

but that 71st & memorial site doesn't look like its been touched.  Sad situation because the mall really could use that site being lit up.  The 71st & Mingo site too.  I'm not sure how that one looks because I never go over by the school where its located.  

I couldn't see any of the cabinets by the fire station though because they're all behind brick walls and I didn't really wanna go get all up in that business.  

Mine is the gold 32GB.  I guess Apple forgot to make any for Sprint lol

but that 71st & memorial site doesn't look like its been touched.  Sad situation because the mall really could use that site being lit up.  The 71st & Mingo site too.  I'm not sure how that one looks because I never go over by the school where its located.  

I couldn't see any of the cabinets by the fire station though because they're all behind brick walls and I didn't really wanna go get all up in that business.  

The 71st and memorial firestation site had backhaul ran out to it this summer, early this summer; I talked to the crews.  The 71st and Mingo site is lit up, its on the Union HS parking lot (back corner) It has been in testing since August and it went commercially live in September.  It desperately needs for the surrounding sites to take traffic load,101st and garnet site needs to be completed, 81st needs to be turned on, 71st fire station needs to be completed.  Also the 61st & 129th site needs work, until all this happens these sites are going to be strained; and as of now the Union site is covering most of the area and taking a beating since it's a 5x5 site serving one of the heaviest traffic areas of town solo. 

-WIll

• Like 1

Questions for those in the know, regarding the Lg G2 and the Tulsa/Oklahoma market. Will/is there multiple lte bands available to be able to utilize the G2 for its tri- band capabilities within the next 2 year contract period. From what I've been reading here, tri-band support is what really differentiates the G2 from the Note 3.

I currently own the HTC One, and if it was at least 5", I wouldn't even be eyeing a new handset, because to me screen size is the only thing newer flagships would have over the One. SD card and removable battery is not a factor for me. I've read that the Note 3 is a beast. But, I'm not sure that I would utilize its stylus capabilities or need a screen that large. Also being priced at $350 is a negative.

I've never owned Lg, and I just wanted some opinion on the G2, given my concerns. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: also I'm not sure how much longer the G2 can be had on pre-order for $99. $99 or $350? Hmmm

Thank you.

It may take some time to get TD-LTE into your area since it's not a native WiMax market. 

However, all indications are that by next year Sprint 800 LTE should be widespread. We were told that it would start being activated on a large scale this fall. That's yet to happen, but we'll keep watching for it. Hopefully it starts happening soon.

At this point, even in your market, it wouldn't make any sense at all to buy a single band phone. Not because they're not any good, but because well before the end of your contract SMR and TD-LTE will be available. 

The G2 seems like a really great phone. I haven't actually gotten to play with one yet, but looking at the reviews, it seems like a solid device. I'm waiting to hear how it does on LTE once it's actually supported by the network.

• Like 1

I am curious to hear your take on Sprint LTE in Tulsa.  I hit that 81st and Mingo site last time I went home but I stayed connected to the 71st Union HS site. 

I can guarantee you the 81st site isn't live yet.  I'm getting -99 LTE right now, were as 3G I get -70 right here very consistently, and sometimes as good as -62 or so.  I'll definitely post when I see it flip over.  Lord knows this part of town needs it.  I just ran two speed tests and got just under 2 Mbps up and down each with ~110ms ping.  Not really what Sprint is shooting for.  That should be what their EV-DO network is shooting for lol.  

• Like 1

I can guarantee you the 81st site isn't live yet.  I'm getting -99 LTE right now, were as 3G I get -70 right here very consistently, and sometimes as good as -62 or so.  I'll definitely post when I see it flip over.  Lord knows this part of town needs it.  I just ran two speed tests and got just under 2 Mbps up and down each with ~110ms ping.  Not really what Sprint is shooting for.  That should be what their EV-DO network is shooting for lol.  

I have caught it in "testing" same as i caught the 71 Mingo UHS site a few times, several weeks before it went live.  You could open a ticket on it, but I would bet final adjustments need to be made, and neighboring sites need to be prepped before anything will actually be seen coming from 81&Mingo.

-Will

Can someone please tell me what is going on with Sprint LTE in N Oklahoma City/Edmond, even West OKC?  I have to routinely manually switch my phone off 4G because I cannot get data at all or it's slower than just normal 3G.  My wife is about to strangle me over this, and I'm ready to strangle Sprint...

Can someone please tell me what is going on with Sprint LTE in N Oklahoma City/Edmond, even West OKC? I have to routinely manually switch my phone off 4G because I cannot get data at all or it's slower than just normal 3G. My wife is about to strangle me over this, and I'm ready to strangle Sprint...

Botched install

We've had one in the Tulsa area. Thankfully other sites were upgraded around it to reduce the impact.

Call Sprint and report it.

It's not just 4g messed up it's everything I'm getting text 4 hours late and I'm not getting my calls . I know 9 people with sprint in this area and we are all having the same problems .

Yea, we are having the same issues... Dialing a number and sometimes it takes over a minute to even connect and start ringing.

I would love to tell you that it absolutely will make an impact in Tulsa but Ericcson's reluctance to touch the SMR 800mhz band even for cdma voice and the fact that tulsa never was an official wimax market. I couldnt tell you.

I would think that a year from now they will at least start adding 2500 to our Sprint only sites but I could be wrong.

It may take some time to get TD-LTE into your area since it's not a native WiMax market. However, all indications are that by next year Sprint 800 LTE should be widespread. We were told that it would start being activated on a large scale this fall. That's yet to happen, but we'll keep watching for it. Hopefully it starts happening soon. At this point, even in your market, it wouldn't make any sense at all to buy a single band phone. Not because they're not any good, but because well before the end of your contract SMR and TD-LTE will be available. The G2 seems like a really great phone. I haven't actually gotten to play with one yet, but looking at the reviews, it seems like a solid device. I'm waiting to hear how it does on LTE once it's actually supported by the network.

I appreciate the time and effort that everyone put into addressing my questions. Thank you for your responses. However, now I'm reading about touch screen and LTE reception issues being reported in the G2 users thread. So at this point, I may hold off to see how Lg responds to the apparent problems with their latest flagship device. This could be very telling for Lg's future as a high end Android OEM. Edited by V12

Been using LTE for a few weeks here in Tulsa and there are a few brief impressions.

Speeds can be very good. Last night I was getting 12-13 Mbps down at 51st and Sheridan. Beat my wife's verizon by a couple megs but more importantly was solid and worked as I'd expect.

Sadly other than a few situations like that, I find LTE either unavailable or really good EV-DO speeds (~2Mbps) which is not good. Let's take woodland hills mall. A pretty popular gathering place for youths and shoppers. I am lucky if I get any LTE there and the nearest tower to it is the only one in that part of town even broadcasting. Not promising.

I get the same tower over at my residence around the 81st and mingo site which still doesn't broadcast. I do get 2-3 Meg's pretty consistently there but a weak sauce signal from an over-stressed tower.

In short, once Sprint is done it'll be probably pretty great. Sprint has launched Tulsa.... But I'm not sure how. There are tons of dead areas in major parts of the city that I've not mentioned. Outside a doctors office the other day.... 3G coverage. Even between 61st and Yale/Sheridan it's absolute garbage.

So yeah it's launched but by no means a good experience. I will say that 3G in some of the LTE areas is slowly returning to usable again though, so that's nice.

They really need 800 MHz here though, but I suppose turning on the 1900 MHz towers wouldn't hurt either. I don't think some places like the malls or hospitals or even the zoo are going to be any good until 800 is going strong though. The Zoo in particular gives me issues. Not really a close cell site.

• Like 1

Been using LTE for a few weeks here in Tulsa and there are a few brief impressions.

Speeds can be very good. Last night I was getting 12-13 Mbps down at 51st and Sheridan. Beat my wife's verizon by a couple megs but more importantly was solid and worked as I'd expect.

Sadly other than a few situations like that, I find LTE either unavailable or really good EV-DO speeds (~2Mbps) which is not good. Let's take woodland hills mall. A pretty popular gathering place for youths and shoppers. I am lucky if I get any LTE there and the nearest tower to it is the only one in that part of town even broadcasting. Not promising.

I get the same tower over at my residence around the 81st and mingo site which still doesn't broadcast. I do get 2-3 Meg's pretty consistently there but a weak sauce signal from an over-stressed tower.

I opened a ticket on the 81 and Mingo site the other day, I was told it will be operating within 3-6 months.  :td:

-Will

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Tulsa may be in for an interesting future with Sprint,  As many of you on here are aware; Tulsa was a Clearwire protection market and deployed 3 sites in the metro area.  Since then 80% of Sprint's native footprint in northeast OK has received some form of network vision 1.0 upgrades.  Many of you have experienced some form of LTE connectivity throughout the state and in addition been covered with HD voice over PCS.  

If you are following the continuation of Sprint's network vision as we enter into phase 2 or "NV 2.0" it should be noted that Sprint is deploying band 26 in Oklahoma this year and this will extend LTE connectivity indoors as well as fill in any gaps in coverage that have not been addressed in NV 1.0.  Sprint is deploying a 5x5MHz FDD carrier for band 26 nationwide; however Tulsa will only receive 3x3MHz coverage which will still yield a modest 21.75mbps max download and provide the indoor relief subscribers are looking for.  Additionally Since Tulsa is the 47th largest city in the US and OKC is the 42nd largest our market should be bumped into the 3rd round deployment from Sprint Spark and 20MHz TDD LTE.  

-William

I was wondering if anyone has connected to 1x800 in tulsa area? I was in broken arrow near the corner of Houston and Oliver and I connected to 1x800 but there was no address. I was working so I couldn't mess with it much. I did take a couple of screenshots though. I just thought it was weird that there was no address.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oby0guhb0mtyo8t/Screenshot_2014-01-19-09-54-09.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26ah1r4195rxwjm/Screenshot_2014-01-19-09-54-30.png

• Like 2

I was wondering if anyone has connected to 1x800 in tulsa area? I was in broken arrow near the corner of Houston and Oliver and I connected to 1x800 but there was no address. I was working so I couldn't mess with it much. I did take a couple of screenshots though. I just thought it was weird that there was no address.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oby0guhb0mtyo8t/Screenshot_2014-01-19-09-54-09.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26ah1r4195rxwjm/Screenshot_2014-01-19-09-54-30.png

Houston and Olive-r?  81st & 129 E ave?   I have never picked up CDMA 1x-800 in Tulsa and I traveled around most of the metro over Christmas break whilst running a Prem sponsor PRL.  

-William

Houston and Olive-r? 81st & 129 E ave? I have never picked up CDMA 1x-800 in Tulsa and I traveled around most of the metro over Christmas break whilst running a Prem sponsor PRL. -William

Yeah that is the intersection. I guess I can give you the nearest address 2870 Galveston pl Broken Arrow, TX. I was walking down indianwood Ave at the stop sign the signal was very spotty. If i walked around I would lose it. I have roaming turned off so I don't think I would be be roaming in 850. I restarted my phone to see if the bsl not being there was my phones fault but when I picked it back up there was still no bsl so the tech at the tower must have forgotten it.

They may just be testing it I would give it a week before you go out of your way.

edit: every time I search that address it goes to texas roadhouse hmm try 621 s indanwood ave

It's looking more and more like my Tulsa kiddo will be transferring from Tulsa to Plano (TX) for work. 

I guess that's okay, at least it isn't much further from here, plus the ex will still be in Tulsa. 

And the Sprint service should be much better in the Dallas area!

It's looking more and more like my Tulsa kiddo will be transferring from Tulsa to Plano (TX) for work. 

I guess that's okay, at least it isn't much further from here, plus the ex will still be in Tulsa. 

And the Sprint service should be much better in the Dallas area!

I have been all through Dallas twice in the last 4 months, neither of those times did my LTE experience prove to be any better than it is here in OKC or Tulsa.  Many huge gaps still exist throughout the metro. If he is Tri-band equipped he should see the benefits Band 26 soon & Spark  :D .

-Will 

• Like 1