Network Vision/LTE - Oklahoma Market

Serious

I suspect it will return with volte. Some devices have nascent volte capabilities too (not sure on G2) so there is some hope.

Okay, I read somewhere that volte is years away and I'll definitely be in a new phone by then...

The Glenpool area is now seeing 800MHz 1x Voice signals and LTE. Anyone been near the walmart on HWY 75 To confirm?

Unfortunately I can't check that anymore unless I steal a phone from a relative. If no one else does it I'll try to do it sometime this next few weeks.

• Like 1

Trying to get some information in hopes of adding my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to our Framily.  They live in north Enid.  They are currently on the magenta carrier.  I have no idea how their data speeds compare, but it seems like everytime we are on the phone with them the call drops several times.

Can someone familiar with this area provide some LTE and 1x800 info I can use to sway them?

Sincerely appreciate the help.

Skid

Trying to get some information in hopes of adding my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to our Framily.  They live in north Enid.  They are currently on the magenta carrier.  I have no idea how their data speeds compare, but it seems like everytime we are on the phone with them the call drops several times.

Can someone familiar with this area provide some LTE and 1x800 info I can use to sway them?

Sincerely appreciate the help.

Skid

Sprint has LTE in enid.

which makes a pretty easy choice on the data side. The issue is likely the voice side. West of Enid is roaming for Sprint but its free roaming and on a much faster network (even if it is 1xRTT).

Edit: coverage kind of looks iffy, maybe you should visit and test their coverage for yourself.

• Like 1

Sprint coverage VS Verizon coverage as of Today in my neck of Norman.

Posted Image

Posted Image

-William

You can really tell what areas I deliver to by looking at the Sensorly maps, all those neighborhoods that are almost solid purple :-P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I  haven't noticed much action in Oklahoma lately as far as physical upgrades, but the effects of NV show. 

Outdoors I have LTE 90% of the time, Indoors I have LTE 40% of the time. 

At home I hold fringe LTE for a while, but with rows of apartments, houses and a few particular buildings band 25 loses grip in the interior of my house.  Luckily we have a mighty 3G network to fall back on.  

LTE 

Screenshot_2014-03-03-10-49-10_zps344be7

3G

Screenshot_2014-03-03-10-55-38_zps3b1922

Back to WiFi

Screenshot_2014-03-03-11-03-41_zps475801

• Like 1

I'm hoping 800MHz LTE brings the data coverage up to parity with PCS voice coverage. Robert thinks I'm foolish for suggesting it, but I would really like to see 800MHz ev-do since my market has enough spectrum to support it. That way when I'm in the places that I lose PCS ev-do(and certainly don't have LTE) I will at least have some sweet 3g action. I don't think he understands how poorly spaced the sites are in the far east part of the metro. With how reluctant Sprint is to actually fill in or expand existing coverage with new sites I think my suggestion has serious merit especially based on financial feasibility.

I'm hoping 800MHz LTE brings the data coverage up to parity with PCS voice coverage. Robert thinks I'm foolish for suggesting it, but I would really like to see 800MHz ev-do since my market has enough spectrum to support it. That way when I'm in the places that I lose PCS ev-do(and certainly don't have LTE) I will at least have some sweet 3g action. I don't think he understands how poorly spaced the sites are in the far east part of the metro. With how reluctant Sprint is to actually fill in or expand existing coverage with new sites I think my suggestion has serious merit especially based on financial feasibility.

I don't think you're foolish. But Sprint has already discussed EVDO on 800 years ago and decided not to do it. There are not many places they can anyway. Even the yellow places on the 800 spectrum map are not guarantees of room for the extra space. 816-816.5MHz cannot be used by Sprint until 2018, and only in places if no rebanders move into the Expansion band. By 2018, people will be saying "What's EVDO?"

Based on calculations I've seen in Sprint docs, B26 LTE should reach a little further (~20%) than CDMA on 1900 in similar deployment scenarios. B26 should fill in places based on a PCS spacing just fine. Places spaced more like CDMA 800, not so well. But will still be a MAJOR improvement over B25.

When Verizon added LTE 750 over their CDMA 850 network, it was quite noticeable that the LTE didn't travel as far as the CDMA on 850. But over time, they densified their LTE 750 some, and pointed up some LTE sectors in rural areas for more coverage, and the difference became less noticeable. But Sprint will probably not be able to do quite, because both their LTE 800 and CDMA 800 are in the same band. At least VZW's LTE band had a 3% propagation boost over the 850, narrowing the gap a little.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Also, I understand poor site spacing. But the antidote for poor site spacing is not overburdened EVDO 800, with nothing to relieve it. The antidote is more sites and better spacing. Don't choose a cure that won't cure you. Besides, like I mention above, not all 8x8 markets will even get to use more than 7.5x7.5, and they will not be able to use the full 8x8 until 2018.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I think it is best to not invest any more than required on a fallback technology like EV-DO.  I would think adding band 26 to ALL the sites in Oklahoma, and not just what is represented in the current deployment schedule would alleviate the coverage problem Sprint is plagued with here.  Band 26 and 1X800 on every site will give a basic backdrop of consistent coverage, indoors, outdoors and even at cell edges.  It won't be a source for deep capacity though, and even in spectrum plush markets like OKC, There is not enough for a second carrier.  Though If I remember correctly the equipment can operate down to 1.4MHz carrier widths, essentially enough for a VoLTE carrier,or a narrowband LTE channel for mid-low range smartphones in the future.  (That is just a physical possibility, It is not to my knowledge a plan on behalf of Sprint)  Hopefully one day I can deploy band 8 through OKC metro, but even that will be delayed years due to a LPO from Edmond to Moore.  :td:

-William

• Like 1

Hopefully after the bulk of NV 2.0 is complete Sprint will turn their attention to filling in coverage and expanding it in areas that have outgrown current coverage. I just want Sprint to be the best it can be, that's all.

• Like 1

Hopefully after the bulk of NV 2.0 is complete Sprint will turn their attention to filling in coverage and expanding it in areas that have outgrown current coverage. I just want Sprint to be the best it can be, that's all.

I can whole heatedly agree with that statement.  800MHz will work wonders for coverage when it deployed densely in the Metro's, and the capacity will be presented with the band 41 deployment which I suspect will begin to happen in OKC/Tulsa within 12 months. After that, Sprint has a treasure trove of spectrum.  They can stack LTE carriers,  Also, if Sprint play's their card correctly they could have other LTE bands they could deploy on.  

• Like 1

Hopefully one day I can deploy band 8 through OKC metro, but even that will be delayed years due to a LPO from Edmond to Moore.  :td:

-William

That woodshed over my head, please expand/explain. Thanks.

That woodshed over my head, please expand/explain. Thanks.

OKC has a license protection operator. They have about 10 sites in the metro. I have about 5 different ways to mitigate interferance, but I will still shy away from OKC, meaning when the capital is available;Tulsa deploys first. (I already have 3 LPO sites in Tulsa,and a few in the rest of the state)

Is band 8 900MHz ISM?

Yes. But that is not the band I would have trouble deploying in OKC, band 43 is the capacity king. Im going to pipe down now, but almost each site now utilizes 4 bands and up to 120MHZ of spectrum. We have a guy in Norman pulling 250mbps at his house over our wireless. Yes 250mbps. Unfortunately backhaul of that scale is not available at other sites.

Is band 8 900MHz ISM?

To be clear, band 8 is GSM 900 MHz -- so called because it was the original GSM band in Europe.  It has since been refarmed to some extent to W-CDMA.  More importantly, though, we do not have that band in the US.  ISM 900 MHz is considerably different, as it is unpaired.

AJ

To be clear, band 8 is GSM 900 MHz -- so called because it was the original GSM band in Europe.  It has since been refarmed to some extent to W-CDMA.  More importantly, though, we do not have that band in the US.  ISM 900 MHz is considerably different, as it is unpaired. AJ

Thats correct, 900 MHz is TDD MIMO. It does not adhere to 3GPP parameters.

• 1 month later...

I guess it's about time to get a tri-band phone. I really want a GS5 but I'm hearing that it may have some reception and LTE handup issues :-(

I'm afraid I've gone the way of the iPhone so my opinion on Android devices isn't worth much but maybe the LG G-Flex?

I guess it's about time to get a tri-band phone. I really want a GS5 but I'm hearing that it may have some reception and LTE handup issues :-(

I haven't seen any actual problems reported. Just people not patient enough to wait for it to scan for LTE on its own.

Sent from my Nexus 5