My Evo LTE Died!

dannible

I Plugged my charger into my Evo LTE today and the screen went black. Then the LED stopped indicating it was charging. Now nothing... Any ideas on how to maybe boot it up even temporarily so i can attempt to get some data off of my phone?

Hold the power button for 10-20 seconds

Thats a no go. Ive tried differant combos of that and the volume buttons for a soft reset. I took it to the Sprint repair center and they spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to remove the battery lol. They said even though i have TEP that it is a manufacturer defect so i cant have the replacement sent to me house and they cant give me one out of the store inventory :(. I have to wait until "my" new one arrives in the store and that wont happen until after the 4th.

Thats a no go. Ive tried differant combos of that and the volume buttons for a soft reset. I took it to the Sprint repair center and they spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to remove the battery lol. They said even though i have TEP that it is a manufacturer defect so i cant have the replacement sent to me house and they cant give me one out of the store inventory :(. I have to wait until "my" new one arrives in the store and that wont happen until after the 4th.

I had an OG EVO die after 7 days from purchase. I went back to the store and they said they couldn't give me one out of inventory, but I pitched a huge fit and threatened to cancel my service (and since I was a new customer, I was within my 30 days). Then all of a sudden they were able to give me one from inventory.

They don't want to give one from inventory because they are afraid they may run out of devices for new customers, and that's where they make the most money. Sales folks don't make a penny on that device if they let it go out the door for a manufacturer issue. Then if a new customer walks in later and they are out, then they lose a potential commission. Sprint store sales people pull that all the time. They will even tell you it's policy and they can't do anything about it. But that's bunk.

However, if you are not in the position to threaten cancellation, you probably have nothing you can do but ride it out.

Robert

• Like 2

However, if you are not in the position to threaten cancellation, you probably have nothing you can do but ride it out.

ya im about a week past the 30 days. I was guaranteed a new device though as apposed to a refurbished one.
  • Like 1

Even without the leverage of cancellation, it wouldn't be a bad idea to escalate to the store manager / asst. manager and then to the district manager. Has to be a corporate store though. The higher-ups tend to be quite a bit more reasonable than the sales staff, especially if you bring up the length of your service history with Sprint, etc.

Edited by Kisakuku

Even without the leverage of cancellation, it wouldn't be a bad idea to escalate to the store manager / asst. manager and then to the district manager. Has to be a corporate store though. The higher-ups tend to be quite a bit more reasonable than the sales staff, especially if you bring up the length of your service history with Sprint, etc.

I am not so sure a store manager would be more helpful. When I was having issues with my galaxy nexus the store manager refused to do a refund without a $35 restocking fee even though it was already authorized by sprint. I had plenty of time to listen to her conversations with fellow employees during my 2 hour visit. She was real loud and didn't really care if I was listening, but she was totaly driven by the sales numbers of her store, the performance of her store was real important to her and I am guessing to her wallet.

She wasn't very concerned about making a long time customer happy, just how her store loooked to sprint corprate.

Never going back to that store miserable experience.

I am not so sure a store manager would be more helpful. When I was having issues with my galaxy nexus the store manager refused to do a refund without a $35 restocking fee even though it was already authorized by sprint. I had plenty of time to listen to her conversations with fellow employees during my 2 hour visit. She was real loud and didn't really care if I was listening, but she was totaly driven by the sales numbers of her store, the performance of her store was real important to her and I am guessing to her wallet.

She wasn't very concerned about making a long time customer happy, just how her store loooked to sprint corprate.

Never going back to that store miserable experience.

Makes sense if she was caught up in the performance of her store. I am guessing customer credits reflect poorly on her so there was no incentive for her to do what Sprint had already promised to do for you.

I had an issue with the Galaxy Nexus as well and my local sprint store manager would not budge on the $35 unless I signed up for insurance.

I signed up for the insurance and just removed the service online at home. He would not wave the $35 any other way - not sure why.

My cat knocked my OG EVO off the night stand after 4 days and separated the digitizer from the screen, creating a very weird picture. The store replaced my phone on the spot, but that was two years ago...

Can you try calling Sprint and get an Advance Exchange?

About a year ago when I had my EVO, the LCD inside died. Took it to my nearest repair location and they replaced the LCD/digitizer combo. The only problem now was that the digitizer had dead spots. They said there's nothing they can do since they don't have any other repair parts and they weren't willing to give me a replacement device. I called Sprint and they told me about other repair locations in the city(one that the rep knew people who work at one of the locations personally), but it was pretty far out for me.

Then I remembered about the Advance Exchange program from a few years ago. At the time, you used to be able to do it online, but not anymore. Called in and asked specifically for an advance exchange, got a refurb EVO the next day.

When I signed up last year with Sprint I had a sales rep refuse to sell me an Evo because she knew I was going to exchange it in 2 weeks for the Evo 3d. She told me that they lose 400 dollars on every exchange and wouldn't offer me service. I offered to take some refurb or returned device to save them the opening of a new device. I went to another store in the area and they sold me an OG Evo and even put me down on their hold list for a 3d. The rep that signed me up said their loss since the plan is where Sprint makes their money.

Thanks for the info guys. I just spoke to the manager's manager through customer service and explained that i need my phone for work. I gave him the whole situation and no results. I was sold a defective phone, im losing my data, service and time to go pick it up an hour away when it actually arrives(probably after the 4th). I was hoping that somebody would of had the authority to release a phone out of inventory or offer a loner phone or anything but i am SOL.

Thanks for the info guys. I just spoke to the manager's manager through customer service and explained that i need my phone for work. I gave him the whole situation and no results. I was sold a defective phone, im losing my data, service and time to go pick it up an hour away when it actually arrives(probably after the 4th). I was hoping that somebody would of had the authority to release a phone out of inventory or offer a loner phone or anything but i am SOL.

Can you get by with something like a Tracfone for the time being?

A lot of things we used to be able to do with Sprint are now a thing of the past based on "lost" inventory. In-store accountabilty is at an all time high and most employees are no longer in a position to do exchanges like they used too without fear of job loss or some other reprocussion.

We can get as mad with them as we want. We're better off dealing with someone over the phone whose in a position to actually help rather than in-store sales associates.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

We can get as mad with them as we want. We're better off dealing with someone over the phone whose in a position to actually help rather than in-store sales associates.

ur so right. i called back on a hunch and found out that my replacement was back ordered for over 2 weeks. So after being jerked around and threatened to be hung up on for being "unprofessional" i got what i needed from the tech department of all places. Not the customer service or account services (all of which i had to talk to). They miraculously found a phone that they could send to my house instead of the repair center that is almost an hour away.

I dont know what the moral of the story is. maybe that tech support has better customer service then customer service does. maybe its dont be "unprofessional" on the phone. Or maybe its throw a tantrum because somebody, eventually, and counter to what they say on the phone, does have the power to help you. Thanks for all of the tips because this thread is as much a rant as it was a request for help. I hope to get my second Evo LTE by friday.

• Like 1

ur so right. i called back on a hunch and found out that my replacement was back ordered for over 2 weeks. So after being jerked around and threatened to be hung up on for being "unprofessional" i got what i needed from the tech department of all places. Not the customer service or account services (all of which i had to talk to). They miraculously found a phone that they could send to my house instead of the repair center that is almost an hour away.

I dont know what the moral of the story is. maybe that tech support has better customer service then customer service does. maybe its dont be "unprofessional" on the phone. Or maybe its throw a tantrum because somebody' date=' eventually, and counter to what they say on the phone, does have the power to help you. Thanks for all of the tips because this thread is as much a rant as it was a request for help. I hope to get my second Evo LTE by friday.[/quote']

Congrats. I am going to close the thread since you have a resolution.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1