What is LTE Record?

I was playing around with my EVO 4G LTE and I found the following in ##DATA# >EPST >View Mode >LTE Record. There I find the following options:

LTE available fIle

LTE clear file

LTE scan Timer

BSR Max Timer

When I access the LTE Record it looks like a log example:

0. SID:xxxx NID:x BSID:xxxx

The file has 15 separate entries. I have noticed the SID and the NID are the same in all 15 entries but the BSID # are all different. Are these settings to access LTE and if modified will it provide access to LTE?

I was playing around with my EVO 4G LTE and I found the following in ##DATA# >EPST >View Mode >LTE Record. There I find the following options:

LTE available fIle

LTE clear file

LTE scan Timer

BSR Max Timer

When I access the LTE Record it looks like a log example:

0. SID:xxxx NID:x BSID:xxxx

The file has 15 separate entries. I have noticed the SID and the NID are the same in all 15 entries but the BSID # are all different. Are these settings to access LTE and if modified will it provide access to LTE?

AJ and I were going over that last night. The LTE Record appears to tell every LTE site your device has connected to. Apparently, even blocked sites.

So even though your device may not be getting a LTE signal, we may be able to verify a blocked and rejected LTE connection from this screen.

The one thing we have not been able to determine yet is if eHRPD connections also end up getting populated on this list.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

The one thing we have not been able to determine yet is if eHRPD connections also end up getting populated on this list.

I have had eHRPD connections everywhere I have traveled in NID 41, NID 42, and NID 43 (and that would include hundreds of different sites/sectors). But I have LTE record entries only for NID 41, which includes the southern suburbs of KC and is where LTE deployment in the market is most prevalent. So, I have to to conclude that the list entries are more than just eHRPD.

AJ

• Like 1

I have had eHRPD connections everywhere I have traveled in NID 41, NID 42, and NID 43 (and that would include hundreds of different sites/sectors). But I have LTE record entries only for NID 41, which includes the southern suburbs of KC and is where LTE deployment in the market is most prevalent. So, I have to to conclude that the list entries are more than just eHRPD.

AJ

How do you determine what NID is what area?

How do you determine what NID is what area?

Being a consummate debug/engineering screen watcher, I have manually tracked NIDs for better than a decade, have even noted as Sprint has shifted NID boundaries. But, basically, NIDs correspond to switches (i.e. MSCs). For example, SID 4139 NID 41 (which you could say is the home SID/NID pair for Sprint, as it includes the world HQ in Overland Park) is backhauled to Lenexa MSC_1.

Robert has graciously mapped these site by site MSC associations in the Interactive S4GRU Maps sub forum. The site entries do not indicate NIDs, but they do indicate MSCs. So, if you note a change in MSCs between adjacent sites, then you can expect a concomitant change in NIDs between those adjacent sites. In other words, the NID boundary exists between those sites.

AJ

• Like 1

I wondered to myself whether AJ uses the word concomitant in real life speaking. Myself answered and said; "Yes. Yes he does."

• Like 2

The different NIDs between Baton Rouge and New Orleans doesn't mean a switch change unless I am looking at things wrong on the data.

I presume that the NID boundary between Baton Rouge and New Orleans coincides with the old affiliate/corporate network boundary. In that case, all bets are off. In my neck of the woods, the Alamosa PCS affiliate NID 1 was absorbed into Sprint corporate NID 43. And if Alamosa operated its own switch, then backhaul was rerouted to Independence MSC_1. In other areas, though, affiliate NIDs may remain as vestiges of a bygone era in Sprint history.

AJ

I have cleared the file, and currently connected eHRPD. The file is empty and has been that way for the last 5 minutes. I will check it again when I get back to overland park where I know there it's lte and let you know what happens.

• Like 1

Does this menu exsist on the galaxy nexus?

Not so far as I have found.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I have cleared the file, and currently connected eHRPD. The file is empty and has been that way for the last 5 minutes. I will check it again when I get back to overland park where I know there it's lte and let you know what happens.

File is still empty this morning. I will drive by the location where I made the LTE connection, and see what happens then.

• Like 1

I presume that the NID boundary between Baton Rouge and New Orleans coincides with the old affiliate/corporate network boundary. In that case, all bets are off. In my neck of the woods, the Alamosa PCS affiliate NID 1 was absorbed into Sprint corporate NID 43. And if Alamosa operated its own switch, then backhaul was rerouted to Independence MSC_1. In other areas, though, affiliate NIDs may remain as vestiges of a bygone era in Sprint history.

AJ

Sounds about right.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Went back to the area where I picked up LTE, It only connected 3G, and there is still no entries in the file. I suspect you have to actually connect to get a record inserted in the file.

• 2 weeks later...

After today's OTA update, I looked in the LTE Available file, which had been empty since I cleared it, and it now has a record.

0. SID:4139 NID:42 BSID:785

Has the top always said CDMA List?

Has the top always said CDMA List?

Yes. SID/NID pairs are basically a cdmaOne and CDMA2000 thing. LTE does not use SID/NID divisions.

AJ

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this menu after getting my MSL from Sprint to force my HTC E4GLE to LTE per Robert's post.

Most of the SID/NID pairs I have are 4622/5 which has to be Houston. Yesterday I went up to the Woodlands for the Chicago/Doobie Bros concert and I see I know have three entries under 4120/94.

I did manage to get an LTE connection at the Pavilion and got my fastest LTE speeds yet: 5.7Mbps down and 7.8Mbps up per the Speedtest.net app.

• 2 months later...

So can anyone confirm if changing any values on LTE scan timer or even bsr max timer helps at all... The reason why I'm asking is is seen a post on xda saying people found stronger signal changing the scan timer value to 60.

So can anyone confirm if changing any values on LTE scan timer or even bsr max timer helps at all... The reason why I'm asking is is seen a post on xda saying people found stronger signal changing the scan timer value to 60.

I found no difference whatsoever. And stronger signal? That is preposterous. How on earth do they figure the scan timer settings could result in a stronger signal?

Robert

• Like 1

I found no difference whatsoever. And stronger signal? That is preposterous. How on earth do they figure the scan timer settings could result in a stronger signal?

Robert

The same way they figure a PRL update gives them better 3G PCS speeds and coverage since they believe it's a list of towers ;)

• Like 4

The same way they figure a PRL update gives them better 3G PCS speeds and coverage since they believe it's a list of towers ;)

You want a list of towers? I got your list of towers right here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_towers_in_the_world

AJ

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I went through the whole "lte connection drama" and as of right now I've been running lte for at least 30mins without any disruptions. My profile is set at 1, scan time at 2, and max timer at 30. It's been the longest I've had lte working without disconnecting...

post-9557-0-83879700-1357744601_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

I know I am a little late to this thread (Possibly reviving it?!?!), but I am assuming that the BSR menu will change a few settings inasmuchas LTE scan/connect times?

I have changed my timer menu settings under BSR to

nextLTEScan Timer 1

BSR timer 1

BSR Max Timer 30

Theoretically, this should hold an available LTE signal longer and connect quicker, correct? Or am I sadly mistaken? I will let everyone know if it yields any fruitful results as I have not run across many in depth teardowns of ##DIAG# settings (or at least BSR in particular)

Trying this on the faithful (and replaced/refurbished/who knows, finally) Note 2.

I know I am a little late to this thread (Possibly reviving it?!?!), but I am assuming that the BSR menu will change a few settings inasmuchas LTE scan/connect times?

I have changed my timer menu settings under BSR to

nextLTEScan Timer 1

BSR timer 1

BSR Max Timer 30

Theoretically, this should hold an available LTE signal longer and connect quicker, correct? Or am I sadly mistaken? I will let everyone know if it yields any fruitful results as I have not run across many in depth teardowns of ##DIAG# settings (or at least BSR in particular)

Trying this on the faithful (and replaced/refurbished/who knows, finally) Note 2.

It's usefulness seems to vary by device. It seemed to work in the LGOG, but caused battery life to plummet outside of an LTE area. On my Samsungs and EVO, it did not seem to help catch an LTE signal any faster, nor had any effect on battery life as it should.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD