Using sprint/clear LTE for home internet?

My home internet is not the best and TWC is about the the only ISP in the area. If or when sprint/clear LTE comes, could I use it that way?

Thanks from 4ktvs

My home internet is not the best and TWC is about the the only ISP in the area. If or when sprint/clear LTE comes, could I use it that way?

Thanks from 4ktvs

Don't use Sprint as a home ISP it's a shared system and with LTE you'll be sharing 37Mbit/s with everyone on the sector which in a lot of areas is about 100 people, that's about 0.37Mbit/s dedicated per device. You won't have a good time and you would just end up miss using and abusing the network. Wireless is not a good alternative to wired when available.

Go to the URL below and post your signal levels. Signal to Noise or SNR, Upstream power level, Downstream power level. Post your modem model number too.

http://192.168.100.1/

Edited by NiteSnow

Sprint does not offer any home service with its LTE. Unlimited data is for smartphones use only. Sprint data cards and MiFis have data caps based on the plan you choose.

So unless you can consume all your data using a smartphone, and not tethering (which would be a violation), then using Sprint LTE for home service probably is not going to work for you.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Thanks from 4ktvs

Clear offers HSI for the home separate of the service they offer with Sprint. You can look at their coverage and see if that is available.

Sprint does not offer any home service with its LTE. Unlimited data is for smartphones use only. Sprint data cards and MiFis have data caps based on the plan you choose.

Right Robert. As someone with no other choice but cellular high speed at home, I've looked at this ad nauseum. And as of last November, Sprint ended it's unlimited mobile broadband options. Now with Sprint you can get 12 GB of data for $80/mo and pay 5cents/MB for anything over 12GB.

However, Verzion has a new service they are calling HomeFusion which gives you 30GB of data, but it's kind of pricey at $120/mo and is only available on their LTE network, which hasn't reached me yet. It's $10/GB for anything over 30GB. There are also plans with 10GB for $60 and 20GB for $90.

Sprint's overage charges seem extreme compared to Verizon and AT&T. It works out to $50/GB. So it would cost an additional $900 in overage charges to get the same data capacity as Verizon's new HomeFusion service. It seems an easy choice when you compare the costs.

Untill (if ever) I get some wired home internet, I had hoped to stay on Sprint for my home internet. I still might because I do have an old unlimited 3G data plan, which should get better when NV upgrades hit my tower. For now, speeds are slow most of the time, and get downright unusable during certain parts of the day.

• Like 1

Data caps and throttling are the complete opposite of what is needed in this cloud based world. I run everything in my house off of the internet. Landline is run by Ooma, TV is courtesy Netflix and Hulu, the occasional movie through vudu or cinema now (too lazy to bike half mile to redbox sometimes) and gaming on PS3 and PC. I know I top 250GB easy during the month.

I feel for you guys that don't have access to quality wired HSI.

• Like 1

blkmiles, who's your ISP?

I have a 50M down, 15M up (neither of which are typos) Comcast connection (also not a typo; they ofer decent upload speeds here...for a price). I've pushed hundreds of GBs through the connection in a month (well over their former 250GB cap) and, since I'm paying plenty for my connection I suppose, I haven't been accosted by them asking me to slow down. Of course, it helps that the vast, vast majority of that traffic isn't used to shuttle questionable files around via BitTorrent.

All that said, I'm a power user. My parents could probably get by on 20GB per month, as long as I'm not in the house. And, for that demographic, they're heavy Internet users (Netflix a few times per month, YouTube, e-mail, other online video, etc.).

But I digress. Complaining to TWC and getting them to give you a solid connection would be more solid/productive than getting home Internet from Clear unless you're in one of their markets that provides good service. Getting a 'net connection from Sprint (Milleniocom, $70, unlimited 3G) would likely be much slower than your TWC.

• Like 1

I have a 50M down, 15M up (neither of which are typos) Comcast connection (also not a typo; they ofer decent upload speeds here...for a price). I've pushed hundreds of GBs through the connection in a month (well over their former 250GB cap) and, since I'm paying plenty for my connection I suppose, I haven't been accosted by them asking me to slow down. Of course, it helps that the vast, vast majority of that traffic isn't used to shuttle questionable files around via BitTorrent.

All that said, I'm a power user. My parents could probably get by on 20GB per month, as long as I'm not in the house. And, for that demographic, they're heavy Internet users (Netflix a few times per month, YouTube, e-mail, other online video, etc.).

But I digress. Complaining to TWC and getting them to give you a solid connection would be more solid/productive than getting home Internet from Clear unless you're in one of their markets that provides good service. Getting a 'net connection from Sprint (Milleniocom, $70, unlimited 3G) would likely be much slower than your TWC.

I have sprint wimax, verizon 4G and AT&T LTE were I live, but wimax only makes it to half way to my home, verizon 4G is slow (Like 500kbs DL slow) and drop's out and AT&T does not have true unlimited.

I have called them loads of times and every time they "fix" it's not really fixed and one time I tethered my GT-9100 to my PC to show him how well that works and put it back to TWC and show how badly it worked. He DID not get it at all and said your getting 5mbs or at lest thats what the TWC speed test said. My speeds are 2-5mbs DL and 1mbs UP with TWC with a 60% packet loss.

I know sprint 3G would not be a good idea, thats why I asked about LTE.

What market are you in?

One of the 27 2nd Round makets. When it come wireless I have a crap load to pick form all with 4G of some kind, but only TWC for home ISP. :(

One of the 27 2nd Round makets. When it come wireless I have a crap load to pick form all with 4G of some kind, but only TWC for home ISP. :(

Sad day.

Might be worthwhile to grab a Twitter account, contact TWC on there (I know other ISPs, e.g. Comcast, CenturyLink, Suddenlink, have Twitter accounts for this purpose) and see if they can give you some better support. Dropping them a Smokeping graph (dslreports.com -> Tools) might help your case.

At any rate, since Sprint doesn't have a whole lot in the way of spectrum for their first LTE deployments, they won't likely offer unlimited aircard service for awhile, if ever. To give you an idea of their network's capacity, it's about the same as a *single* channel on TWC's cable modem service. In most places, Time Warner has four or more of those channels, serving an area significantly smaller than what a Sprint cell tower would serve, which is why they can generally offer decent, unlimited service over their network.

Gonna take a wild guess here: RDU area?

Is CenturyLink or AT&T the telephone company there (I had family in Hillsborough, where Sprint->Embarq->CenturyLink was the provider)? Are you out of range of their DSL service?

Keep in mind that, while AT&T DSL has a cap of 150GB (or more), trying to push that much data over anyone's cellular network (including, unfortunately, Clearwire's) is generally a bad idea.

Gonna take a wild guess here: RDU area?

Is CenturyLink or AT&T the telephone company there (I had family in Hillsborough, where Sprint->Embarq->CenturyLink was the provider)? Are you out of range of their DSL service?

Keep in mind that, while AT&T DSL has a cap of 150GB (or more), trying to push that much data over anyone's cellular network (including, unfortunately, Clearwire's) is generally a bad idea.

Hit the nail on the head. I am in that area, but AT&T does not make it to my house and Century link was DOOM. It went out dally and was still slower than TWC. It went out for not one, but TWO WEEK's and they did not care one bit.

A month or two ago I pushed 109GB over AT&T H+ network, but I feel like I was asking for it, using a non-smart phone unlimited data plan like that. I did not want to end up with a $1000 bill becuase I used 100Gb+ of data and put me on the 3GB "smart phone" plan.

1874315911.png this is what I got after they "fixed" it for a few days and then bam 2-5mbs again. Note I still had 60% packet loss even after the "fixing". I am on the 10/1 plan and was thinking about upgrading, but maxing out at 6.5/7mbs at 1am is just not right when I am paying for ten and I can get the 50/5 plan, so I know they should be able to take it.

1874315911.png this is what I got after they "fixed" it for a few days and then bam 2-5mbs again. Note I still had 60% packet loss even after the "fixing". I am on the 10/1 plan and was thinking about upgrading, but maxing out at 6.5/7mbs at 1am is just not right when I am paying for ten and I can get the 50/5 plan, so I know they should be able to take it.

If you would post your signal levels and your modem model I can tell you what the problem is and what you need to do to get it fixed.

You can get your signal levels from http://192.168.100.1/ you will see Signal to Noise (or SNR), Downstream, Upstream, and your modem's model number. Please report back with your findings. I'm here to help out, TWC can be a pain sometimes and their "Techs" can be complete idiots.

• Like 1

If you would post your signal levels and your modem model I can tell you what the problem is and what you need to do to get it fixed.

You can get your signal levels from http://192.168.100.1/ you will see Signal to Noise (or SNR), Downstream, Upstream, and your modem's model number. Please report back with your findings. I'm here to help out, TWC can be a pain sometimes and their "Techs" can be complete idiots.

When I get back home, I will do just that, but for now I will just have to deal with internet that works.

I got home and did what you said and this is all it would give me:

Cable Modem Information Cable Modem : DOCSIS 2.0 Compliant

MAC Address : ****************

Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Boot Code Version : 2.1.7d Software Version : 6.1.3008 Hardware Version : 2.33 CA Key : Installed spacer.gifMTA Information MAC xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx CA Key : Installed

The thing is an Ubee, It won't tell me crap. The techs need to suck it up and give me a newer system.

I got home and did what you said and this is all it would give me:

Cable Modem Information Cable Modem : DOCSIS 2.0 Compliant

MAC Address : ****************

Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Boot Code Version : 2.1.7d Software Version : 6.1.3008 Hardware Version : 2.33 CA Key : Installed spacer.gifMTA Information MAC xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx CA Key : Installed

The thing is an Ubee, It won't tell me crap. The techs need to suck it up and give me a newer system.

you need to log in, the username is admin and the password is cableroot

you need to log in, the username is admin and the password is cableroot

It fails to log in. :(

I could get right in my dads modem, but this thing hates my gut's.