Is Apple Really Trying To Kill Google?

Odell

And apple copied voice recognition, pull down notification bar, face unlock etc. But I suppose that's fine because they "made it better" right?

Sent from my CM9 Toro

If Apple wasn't cutthroat, someone would cut theirs. Look at the history of Microsoft. Apple wants to avoid a repeat of that. This is, I believe, the root cause of the patent insanity.

Yet for all that they still contribute a lot of innovation to the table. I still would buy their laptops over anything else, simply because I don't see anyone coming close to them in that arena. Look at the new Retina MacBook Pro. Who else would make that laptop? No one.

And apple copied voice recognition, pull down notification bar, face unlock etc. But I suppose that's fine because they "made it better" right?

Sent from my CM9 Toro

Wait, Apple has face unlock? Where?

Sent from my CM9 Toro

Apple has not copied voice recognition. They licensed the technology from Nuance that has been doing voice recognition for a long time and has a hella of a lot of patents in the area.

Edited by bigsnake49

Yet for all that they still contribute a lot of innovation to the table. I still would buy their laptops over anything else' date=' simply because I don't see anyone coming close to them in that arena. Look at the new Retina MacBook Pro. Who else would make that laptop? No one.[/quote']

I love this quote. I almost want to frame it and put it on my wall. You boiled it all down for Apple where they can easily get it. Create a better product, build it before others and keep improving it ahead of the curve. Do this, and Fraydog and millions of others, will give you their money.

This is all Apple needs to do, and what they actually do best. Be better than the competition. Even if its just perception.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Yet for all that they still contribute a lot of innovation to the table. I still would buy their laptops over anything else, simply because I don't see anyone coming close to them in that arena. Look at the new Retina MacBook Pro. Who else would make that laptop? No one.

Technically, the Sony Z comes the closest... and it's not made with slave labor (it's made in japan).

If Apple wasn't cutthroat, someone would cut theirs. Look at the history of Microsoft. Apple wants to avoid a repeat of that. This is, I believe, the root cause of the patent insanity.

Apple operates in a different space than other manufacturers. Even if someone else uses their technology, it won't really matter to their customer base because those folks go to Apple for more than the specs. As for me, I would never buy the new Macbook because of the price. It's starts at over 2 grand and that one only has 256 GB of flash storage. That wouldn't work for me. My new laptop cost me just over $800 and other than the display it works better for my needs spec for spec.

I kind of figured this would happen when I started this thread. Apple devotees tend to see the company and it's products as above reproach and without spot or blemish. There is no way to have an objective discussion with them. I agree that Apple does make some very nice products. I own an iPod touch and it does what I need it to do better than the other options in the category. I believe that many of their other products are too expensive for what they offer spec-wise but I understand that they have positioned themselves in the marketplace such that their customer base will bear those prices. I can respect that.

This issue with hindering Android products coming to market is another thing altogether and I don't think it's healthy for competition or for Apple as a company. If you are touting yourselves as the producers of "magical" products then you should not even be worried if other companies borrow your "ideas". They can't borrow your magical-ness and that is what makes you unique, right? So keep being magical and let the others continue to be ordinary.

• Like 1

Wait, Apple has face unlock? Where?

They don't have face unlock, but they applied for a patent anyway, after it was announced as a feature on ICS.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Patently-ridiculous-Apple-applies-for-iOS-face-unlock-patent_id25205

Apple has not copied voice recognition. They licensed the technology from Nuance that has been doing voice recognition for a long time and has a hella of a lot of patents in the area.

If they only licensed voice recognition, how are they claiming that the GS3 should be blocked from import for the "S Voice" infringing on SIRI? That is the pinnacle of hypocrasy.

• Like 1

They don't have face unlock, but they applied for a patent anyway, after it was announced as a feature on ICS.

http://www.phonearen...-patent_id25205

If they only licensed voice recognition, how are they claiming that the GS3 should be blocked from import for the "S Voice" infringing on SIRI? That is the pinnacle of hypocrasy.

They applied for a patent before it was announced. Their face recognition application uses different technology than what Google uses, which itself is patented but not for mobile devices.

http://www.phonearen...-patent_id25205

They're claiming infringement on putting it all together, the voice recognition and the search on Wolfram Alpha. Nothing stopped Samsung on coming up with that integration first. Instead Samsung waited until Apple came up with it. Once in a while I would like for Samsung to innovate in this area. BTW, the other major claim in this infringement suit is "Data Detectors" which is the technology to detect a string as being let's say a phone number and dial it. There are different strings besides phone numbers. Apple has had a patent on that since 1996.

A little bit more info on S-Voice. They just re-skinned Vlingo.

And Vlingo looks *nothing* like siri:

http://hotcellularphone.com/wp-content/ ... Store.jpeg

http://jailbrokentips.com/Free-Cydia-Ap ... eather.png

If they just licensed Vlingo then it would appear they deliberately re-skinned it to look like a lot like siri:

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... G_3820.jpg

That seems to back up apple's claim that "Samsung has copied the smallest detail of the iPhone".

This is where I believe Apple is better than anyone else in the industry and why I believe that their Google/Android related tactics are unnecessary and harmful. Even if Samsung's S-Voice is a graphical imitation of Siri, it's not Siri. No one who wants Siri is going to choose a Samsung device because S-Voice sorta looks like Siri. Apple's target demo is going to choose them not just for a Siri-like experience, not just for a high-res display but for everything else that is Apple.

When you are an innovative company like Apple you have to realize that your visions are what will be driving the market for years to come but by the time someone copies something you do, your next thing will already be surpassing your own original vision, much more so any copy.

The difference between Apple and othercomputer makers is that Apple can actually build the revolutionary, magical machines it dreams up.

That's Apple's real mojo. They can actualize. Apple can say to themselves that they are going to revolutionize the professional laptop, or the smartphone, or the tablet, and then not only follow through with an enviable purity ofdesign, source all of the parts and manufacture their product in utter secrecy, then ship the resulting en masse and sell them at unheard of profit margins. No one else can.

It's all in Apple's mastery of the supply chain, which is Tim Cook's particular genius. His strategy is simple: When Apple decides to go ahead and make a revolutionary new product, it buys up literally almost all of the world's stockof the components that define the gadget. This not only gives Apple massive discounts in component prices, because they are buying in extreme bulk, but it also prevents the competition from quickly releasing clones of Apple's iconic machines, or matching Apple in price without cutting corners.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/12/opinion/brownlee-apple-secret/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I tend to see Apple as the De Beers of the 21st century...

Both get smuggled up butts.

Did I just say that? :devilangel:

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Both get smuggled up butts.

Is that the reason why some hope that the iPhone does not increase screen size from 3.5" to 4"?

AJ

• Like 3

Its so funny how the Apple states that using a stylus is not good, that a 3.5 is more than enough screen size, and people fall for it. yet many wish the screen was bigger and countless folks use a stylus with an ipad. Now it seems that Apple is reversing itself and will increase the screen size and possibly make their own stylus. So I guess those followes will be retrained/remarketed into thinking a 4" screen is good as well as using a stylus.

TS

Its so funny how the Apple states that using a stylus is not good, that a 3.5 is more than enough screen size, and people fall for it. yet many wish the screen was bigger and countless folks use a stylus with an ipad. Now it seems that Apple is reversing itself and will increase the screen size and possibly make their own stylus. So I guess those followes will be retrained/remarketed into thinking a 4" screen is good as well as using a stylus.

TS

Soo.. equating that to Robert's previous comment... they can increase the screen size but the stylus still gives them something to be anally retentive about? Guess that's a win/win for them.