Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I guess I feel as if sprint has had MORE than enough time to fix it's network and it's still not up to par.. Band 26, just came online about 2 months ago, and I'm still having reception issues at places with this new band that's supposed to help fix things. I have an iPhone 5c.. So the radios in my phone are strong.. Sprints network is apparently not living up to the hype... I find new charges in the bill that make the service not worth the price..

Your lucky because you will see 2xB25, B26 and B41.  In San Diego there is only a single B25.  Find yourself lucky as San Diego metro is well over 3 million people.  Our deployment is only at 75% completed.

Chicago is moving along.  Even the City of San Diego uses Sprint for primary cell services for all their employees, even that didn't speed up the roll out.  Chicago can only get better with all 3 bands currently being deployed compared to 1 in San Diego.

Your lucky because you will see 2xB25, B26 and B41. In San Diego there is only a single B25. Find yourself lucky as San Diego metro is well over 3 million people. Our deployment is only at 75% completed.

Chicago is moving along. Even the City of San Diego uses Sprint for primary cell services for all their employees, even that didn't speed up the roll out. Chicago can only get better with all 3 bands currently being deployed compared to 1 in San Diego.

I wish that Sprint would prioritize B41 in SOCAL since W won't getting any B26 any time soon. If I get > 1 mbps, it is rare here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wish that Sprint would prioritize B41 in SOCAL since W won't getting any B26 any time soon. If I get > 1 mbps, it is rare here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Exactly my point.  San Diego hasn't seen a single 8T8R.  Folks in Chicagoland already getting 2xB25, B26, and B41.  Should be happy the fact Chicago is coming along and will be better this year.   We in San Diego will have to wait until next year to see any improvements.

The city that uses Sprint as the primary provider and our indoor coverage is f*in shit.  Chicagoland folks, your lucky!.  That is all I can say.

Once 8T8R is up and running, which is already spotted in Chicagoland, correct me if i am wrong.  It is a matter of average 50Mbps+ speeds from every site in the city.

• Like 1

I guess we are lucky in a sense that we're so far along, and several markets are still left in the dust. It will just keep getting better, but it needs to happen fast. Sprint is losing big time with word of mouth, and they need to regain momentum.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I was not impressed with the sprint service in around downtown chicago.

I had over a dozen times either no data (with full or nearly full bars) or had to reboot to regain data, on my htc one hk.

Data would get stuck, gps would blink forever trying to get a fix plus load from the non-working data, I'd lose 10%+ battery in under an hour if it got stuck and I didn't catch it in time.

I did not have time to switch to the nexus 5 to make a comparison.

Exactly my point.  San Diego hasn't seen a single 8T8R.  Folks in Chicagoland already getting 2xB25, B26, and B41.  Should be happy the fact Chicago is coming along and will be better this year.   We in San Diego will have to wait until next year to see any improvements.

The city that uses Sprint as the primary provider and our indoor coverage is f*in shit.  Chicagoland folks, your lucky!.  That is all I can say.

Once 8T8R is up and running, which is already spotted in Chicagoland, correct me if i am wrong.  It is a matter of average 50Mbps+ speeds from every site in the city.

That is just clear b41 with good backhaul, 8t8r as far as I know aren't turned yet. I have been on clear b41 site with good backhaul and gotten 70 plus

Anyone go to the air and water show today? I'll be there tomorrow and I'll report how service is with 500,000 people on a beach. I'm using an android this year because the nextradio app is a lifesaver. I won't need data for the audio stream, and I'll only need enough data to refresh their Twitter feed which I hope by this stage of network vision will be attainable even with that many people.

• Like 1

Anyone go to the air and water show today? I'll be there tomorrow and I'll report how service is with 500,000 people on a beach. I'm using an android this year because the nextradio app is a lifesaver. I won't need data for the audio stream, and I'll only need enough data to refresh their Twitter feed which I hope by this stage of network vision will be attainable even with that many people.

I will be there tomorrow also, I was curious about the data and everything too

I'm hoping to see it from a rooftop in Streeterville.

I watched it from a rooftop on the near north side about 7 years ago. It was awesome, from what I remember (there was a keg of Amstel Light).
  • Like 1

At One time Nextel owned Northern IL. Sprint let it go downhill big time by not collating their sites. Crystal Lake is a prime example. Now We can just hope for the best.

Service in Downtown Crystal Lake is abysmal. No service in Dukes and roaming on VZW in Finn's. Is one of the towers out here? Or has it always been like that? Here's hoping for B26 optimizations..

• Like 1

Service in Downtown Crystal Lake is abysmal. No service in Dukes and roaming on VZW in Finn's. Is one of the towers out here? Or has it always been like that? Here's hoping for B26 optimizations..

I can get limited B26 coverage from the Cog Circle tower, but I looked at the sector maps once and none of the towers seem to actually technically cover downtown. 31/176 and 14/176 are the other two whose coverage just barely doesn't reach downtown Crystal Lake.

Downtown C L is located dead center (emphasis on "dead") betwen the 3 primary Crystal Lake towers. Only 1 of them has B26 yet (although at least 2 popped up with the 2nd B25 carrier last week [which of course doesn't help coverage]). Strangely, there is apparently a Clear Wimax site on the giant antenna tower which looms over downtown, but there are no indications that it has been Sprintified.

Those old brick buildings don't help anything either. The last time I was at Dukes I had an usable signal however. Tommy, did they ever move that temporary site back to the water tower?

Those old brick buildings don't help anything either. The last time I was at Dukes I had an usable signal however. Tommy, did they ever move that temporary site back to the water tower?

They did, it's now B25. No B26 or 2nd carrier yet.

• Like 1

Well, I'm on the beach for the air show. It's pretty packed, and there is a weather delay so literally everyone is playing with their phone. Every carrier has a cow setup directly across lake shore drive from north avenue beach (less than a block from me). I'm switching between -79ish dBm band 25 which is pretty destroyed, and a very usable band 26 @ about -80dBm. No second carrier or band 41 here which is strange. I'm definitely being switched for capacity and not coverage, and have spent almost the whole time on 26. 4570f381f292b0abf2ca8996b9e017dd.jpg

• Like 6

Band 26 is still hanging in there at around 1mbps which is surprising. Band 25 might as well be offline. I'm also beginning to pick up a -100 band 41 signal which blazed up to 17/7mbps. I wonder if Sprint adjusted power and tilt on a nearby site to help out with the demand?

• Like 2

I hope the sky clears out enough for the show!

It's getting there. I'd say another hour. It's already 3 hours late and I refuse to leave. Really nobody is leaving. This place is packed. I'm not quitting on my favorite event of the year (other than iPhone release day).
  • Like 2

I wonder how the other three are doing. I'm guessing VZW is fine with it's 20x20 AWS, and at&t with it's super COW, and i'm not so sure about T-Mobile.

I have an exclusive photo of AT&T's super cow

7a3e829d52a9a43bd456587a857dbf43.jpg

• Like 3

They did, it's now B25. No B26 or 2nd carrier yet.

If there's a clearwire site on that tower downtown it would solve so many problems there if its converted to NV. I did notice a blip of B26 at Dukes but it cut out real fast. Mostly 1x800 at like -102 dBm, I didn't even bother having my mobile data turned on.

Also another interesting observation: My Nexus 5 likes to connect (but obviously not register) to other carrier's LTE connections at times with bad signal. I noticed on my engineering screen I sat on Band 4 at like -87 dBm for a minute or so. Is that ATT? I can't remember.