Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I follow along most of your points, and I understand your frustrations. However, you are in an active NV/LTE deployment area and big changes are coming soon. You are just in one of the last clusters.

This is not a surprise around S4GRU, as we have been reporting since last Winter that the Chicago market was going to be deployed in clusters starting on the outside working into the City. This has always been the plan, and we have watched over the past 8 months in our Sponsors maps the clusters deploy as planned.

Although it has been frustrating for you, you can take heart in knowing that Chicago is farther along than any other Sprint market in the country, with the highest percentage of sites complete and the highest number of sites complete total. At their current rate of production, they should be complete by the end of the year with every site.

Samsung and their subcontractors have recently started working within the city limits of Chicago. They already have completed some sites at the very south end of the City. So, they are still coming.

As for your line about Sprint and S4GRU not caring, well...

I certainly cannot speak about Sprint caring, but I was very perplexed that you would throw S4GRU into that line. I have no idea what you would have S4GRU do to show it cares. S4GRU is a forum made up of wireless enthusiasts who track Sprint's Network Vision/LTE deployment. I think we care very much about the current state of Sprint's network and the future. We are very passionate about Network Vision. However, I'm not sure I understand what you expect from us and why you think we have let you down. It's the first time I've seen someone say something like that.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Do you really think so? I know that's three months, but to have every site complete by then seems to be a big undertaking. When you say 'complete' I'm assuming all upgrades as well...backhaul and 4G to go with it. I can't possibly see how that would be possible. I know Sprint is upgrading every single tower in their network with 4G (right?) but to have the whole city complete by year end would be amazing.

Now, to have all Samsung towers by year end, that I can possibly see. But to have everything upgraded in the next three months seems like a bit of a stretch.

Do you really think so? I know that's three months' date=' but to have every site complete by then seems to be a big undertaking. When you say 'complete' I'm assuming all upgrades as well...backhaul and 4G to go with it. I can't possibly see how that would be possible. I know Sprint is upgrading every single tower in their network with 4G (right?) but to have the whole city complete by year end would be amazing.

Now, to have all Samsung towers by year end, that I can possibly see. But to have everything upgraded in the next three months seems like a bit of a stretch.[/quote']

Yes, just in the Chicago market. You can monitor it right here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/

If you go down to Chicago, look at the Current Production Rate completion date. Every two weeks or so I calculate how long it would take to complete the remaining sites at their current production rate.

This is the best way to really track progress in a market, because it takes real data like production rates and carries that over the remaining number of sites. And when you consider the production rate, Chicago could possibly be the very first market to complete 100%.

But if the production rate goes down, it could extend into the future.

• Like 1

Do you really think so? I know that's three months, but to have every site complete by then seems to be a big undertaking. When you say 'complete' I'm assuming all upgrades as well...backhaul and 4G to go with it. I can't possibly see how that would be possible. I know Sprint is upgrading every single tower in their network with 4G (right?) but to have the whole city complete by year end would be amazing.

Now, to have all Samsung towers by year end, that I can possibly see. But to have everything upgraded in the next three months seems like a bit of a stretch.

The whole city, or the vast majority, is being done by Samsung, so I think that sounds feasible.

Addison, IL. I was ~300ft. away from the tower

That exceeds the maximum speed for a 5x5 carrier, which is approx. 37.5Mbps. Speeds faster than 37.5Mbps are suspect. Makes you think that the app made an error or the server on the other end.

I had one speed test in my LTE performance testing that hit 40Mbps, but I ignored the result since it exceeded the maximum speed. However, I only had two speed tests out of 100's exceed 37.5Mbps, even standing in the same place with LOS of site of the panels, only 300' away.

Can you keep that speed that high in repeated speed tests or if you change servers?

Robert

That exceeds the maximum speed for a 5x5 carrier, which is approx. 37.5Mbps. Speeds faster than 37.5Mbps are suspect. Makes you think that the app made an error or the server on the other end.

I had one speed test in my LTE performance testing that hit 40Mbps, but I ignored the result since it exceeded the maximum speed. However, I only had two speed tests out of 100's exceed 37.5Mbps, even standing in the same place with LOS of site of the panels, only 300' away.

Can you keep that speed that high in repeated speed tests or if you change servers?

Robert

that was the first test, the following tests were steady around 32-35Mbps. I figured it was an error app wise, I almost crapped my pants, that was the first sign of LTE for me lol

• Like 1

I don't always trust speedtest.net anyways. I usually verify my speeds by going to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html and downloading one of the test files while watching bandwidth in real-time using a bandwidth monitor app (actually, NetTraffic Widget in this case).

• Like 1

I don't always trust speedtest.net anyways. I usually verify my speeds by going to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html and downloading one of the test files while watching bandwidth in real-time using a bandwidth monitor app (actually, NetTraffic Widget in this case).

I vary servers and take an average when absolutely accurate speeds are required. Like in our performance testing.

Robert

Lte this morning near Taft High in Chicago

Wow even better an actual Chicago LTE screen shot. Is it a stable signal where you can recreate the speed our just a one time shot. Knowing my luck LTE will go live near Midway airport but the Note 2 will get pushed back, better find a back up plan just in case I cant wait that long :)

We live out in Carpentersville by Randall Road and have been getting frequent 4G connections in and around our home since we got our new GSIII phones a week and a half ago. However, we have noticed that often when the phones connect to 4G that the automatic time zone switches to Eastern time. It seems (from what I can tell) that the time zone corrects when the phone falls back to 3G. Is this an issue with something that the tower is broadcasting or are there problems with our phones? We are just trying to figure out if we need to talk to sprint before our return period is up.

We experienced these problems on our old Epic 4Gs months ago when we went through the horrible service period as the towers by us were being upgraded, but I did not expect to have the same problems on new phones now that the network upgrades were complete by us. Makes for quite the panic when you wake up in the morning and look at your phone thinking you are an hour late for work.

We live out in Carpentersville by Randall Road and have been getting frequent 4G connections in and around our home since we got our new GSIII phones a week and a half ago. However' date=' we have noticed that often when the phones connect to 4G that the automatic time zone switches to Eastern time. It seems (from what I can tell) that the time zone corrects when the phone falls back to 3G. Is this an issue with something that the tower is broadcasting or are there problems with our phones? We are just trying to figure out if we need to talk to sprint before our return period is up.

We experienced these problems on our old Epic 4Gs months ago when we went through the horrible service period as the towers by us were being upgraded, but I did not expect to have the same problems on new phones now that the network upgrades were complete by us. Makes for quite the panic when you wake up in the morning and look at your phone thinking you are an hour late for work.[/quote']

Probably not the phone. I have the same issue when my device roams on Verizon in my area. I just turned off the automatic time and don't have the issue anymore.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

And Chicago is one of those places where Sprint is currently deploying 800MHz 1x voice carriers for better voice coverage. You can see what areas already have 800 Voice service by becoming a S4GRU Sponsor and viewing our NV Sites Complete maps.

Robert

Robert, should 800MHz 1x help all voice performance or just with building penetration? My wife and her new iPhone 5 has still been dropping calls regularly. Most of the times this happens when she is driving around so the issue isn't building penetration. However I don't know that she is yet connecting to 800 SMR sites. I had her go to the iPhone Field Test and for 1x EV-DO on the Band Class line it said "1.8-2.0Ghz PCS". I'm assuming this means she is connected on the 1900 frequency.

We have another week to return her phone and roll back her new 2 year contract. We know that data speeds are getting better but do you definitely believe that as the rollout continues and completes that dropped calls on Sprint will be greatly diminished? I'd prefer to stay with Sprint but if we can't get reliable voice service I think we may have to consider switching her.

Thanks.

Yes, just in the Chicago market. You can monitor it right here: http://s4gru.com/ind...t-running-list/

If you go down to Chicago, look at the Current Production Rate completion date. Every two weeks or so I calculate how long it would take to complete the remaining sites at their current production rate.

This is the best way to really track progress in a market, because it takes real data like production rates and carries that over the remaining number of sites. And when you consider the production rate, Chicago could possibly be the very first market to complete 100%.

But if the production rate goes down, it could extend into the future.

I will be extremely impressed if every tower in the Chicago market turns green (3G/800/4G) in your sponsor map by the end of the year. Hopefully they upgrade the whole cluster near Woodfield mall within a week timeframe. I work right around there (90/290 interchange) and would love to have 4G sitting at my desk.

We live out in Carpentersville by Randall Road and have been getting frequent 4G connections in and around our home since we got our new GSIII phones a week and a half ago. However, we have noticed that often when the phones connect to 4G that the automatic time zone switches to Eastern time. It seems (from what I can tell) that the time zone corrects when the phone falls back to 3G. Is this an issue with something that the tower is broadcasting or are there problems with our phones? We are just trying to figure out if we need to talk to sprint before our return period is up.

We experienced these problems on our old Epic 4Gs months ago when we went through the horrible service period as the towers by us were being upgraded, but I did not expect to have the same problems on new phones now that the network upgrades were complete by us. Makes for quite the panic when you wake up in the morning and look at your phone thinking you are an hour late for work.

I've been seeing the same thing, as has my wife (also GSIII). I don't get 4G at my house (yet, out in Elgin) and I'm always on wifi there, so switching between 3/4G isn't the cause. I never had this issue with my Epic, and didn't start seeing it until maybe two weeks ago.

4 G in West Chicago at route 59 and Route 64. That's a type of Chicago, right?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

It's the tower at Powis and Rt 64! The tower off of Munger between Smith and Army Trail is/was LTE today. However, when I get home near St Andrews Golf Course, I am back to crappy 3G and my Airave.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think my evo lte sucks. I just made it look for lte only and bam 4g signal was over 5mb down on every speed test. Soon as I switch it back it only picks up 3g. Think I'm getting a gs3 tomorrow

I am unsure of what you mean, "when I switch it back". If you turn your LTE radio off, it will, of course, only receive 3G signals.

this is the screen. Its like it refuses to pick up the 4g signal unless you turn off the 3g. My buddy has a gs3 and we are standing in the same room and his phone finds the 4g with no problems. With my evo I have to fight with all day im just sick of it!

post-1767-0-70664100-1348699681_thumb.png