Service Update

kckid

I received a service update on my EVO 4G LTE phone on June 1st at about noon CDT. It said PRL updated. PRL version is 25004. Did anyone else receive this update?

• Like 1

My EVO LTE is still on 25003. It wont even update to 25004 when I ask for a PRL update.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I'm still on 60687 after a service update on my iP4. Maybe it's an LTE thing.

Nope. Nothing in the 25xxx PRLs about the G block at all from what I saw.

Sprint is using a new MCC/MNC record though instead of SIDs, to cover larger areas instead of having to put tons of SIDs. Consider it a SID consolidation without all the mess. Doesn't surprise me as they would have two sets of native SIDs to manage in PRLs. I have to update my PRL comparison program to accommodate and compare these new records. Right now it just ignores them like a handset without MCC MNC capabilities does.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

Sprint is using a new MCC/MNC record though instead of SIDs...

In some of the deeper EVO LTE menus accessible only via MSL, I noted 310-120. Is that the MCC-MNC that Sprint is using?

AJ

In some of the deeper EVO LTE menus accessible only via MSL, I noted 310-120. Is that the MCC-MNC that Sprint is using?

AJ

I know it was 310 but don't remember the other part. Will have to check.

On another note, I am so happy that roam control works great on the EVO LTE. Time to do some prl playing.

• Like 1

On another note, I am so happy that roam control works great on the EVO LTE. Time to do some prl playing.

Reportedly, the PRL is now stored on the SIM and is impervious to tinkering. If that is not the case, do enlighten us.

AJ

I know it was 310 but don't remember the other part. Will have to check.

Roam control doesn't work for me

Reportedly, the PRL is now stored on the SIM and is impervious to tinkering. If that is not the case, do enlighten us.

AJ

Correct. I was talking about the prl for CDMA.

Correct. I was talking about the prl for CDMA.

Yes, that would be the only PRL, since LTE (and GSM and W-CDMA) do not use PRL based roaming controls. But my admittedly anecdotal understanding is that the CDMA/EV-DO PRL is now sequestered away on the SIM.

AJ

It does nothing it worked perfectly on my 3d but not on the LTE

Are you rooted?

Love the mod that gets rid of the stupid on screen menu button and makes the recent button your menu button.

Yes, that would be the only PRL, since LTE (and GSM and W-CDMA) do not use PRL based roaming controls. But my admittedly anecdotal understanding is that the CDMA/EV-DO PRL is now sequestered away on the SIM.

AJ

I looked at PRL 25003 and I can't find a one bit of the G block listed in there. Apparently the PRLs in these phones are for the CDMA side only. I haven't had a chance to snag 25004 yet, but I suspect it is the same.

Are you rooted?

Love the mod that gets rid of the stupid on screen menu button and makes the recent button your menu button.

No its stock but it worked on my stock 3d before I rooted it.

No its stock but it worked on my stock 3d before I rooted it.

I can tell you it works fine on rooted. Didn't try non rooted as my phone was rooted about 5 minutes after I left the store.

• Like 1

I looked at PRL 25003 and I can't find a one bit of the G block listed in there. Apparently the PRLs in these phones are for the CDMA side only. I haven't had a chance to snag 25004 yet, but I suspect it is the same.

Correct, you will not find any PRL entries pointing to the PCS G block, since the PCS G will be solely LTE 1900. The same is true with WiMAX -- nothing in the PRL. Only AMPS, TDMA, and CDMA modes use PRLs. GSM and W-CDMA devices do not contain PRLs nor anything quite like lists of SIDs, NIDs, and channels. Rather, they use LACs (Location Area Codes), which are stored on the network side, not on the device side. Now, unlike the GSM zealots, I do not consider LTE to be GSM; LTE is a new paradigm for both GSM and CDMA operators alike. Regardless, LTE will not use PRLs. It may, like GSM, use network side LACs. Or LTE may use something else altogether -- maybe even IP or MAC address based roaming control.

AJ

Well, so far, I have had no luck with custom PRL swaps on the EVO LTE. PRL swapping on the handset requires the EPST.apk. But only certain versions of the EPST.apk allow access to the PRL dialer code (##PRL#). For example, I had to replace the stock EPST.apk on my EVO 4G with an older version before I could swap PRLs.

I can report that the stock EPST.apk on the EVO LTE does not grant access via the PRL dialer code. My EVO LTE is rooted, so I used Root Explorer to replace the stock EPST.apk with the much older version that enabled PRL swaps on the EVO 4G. Unfortunately, it does not work with Android 4.0 or Sense 4.0 or both. In fact, the old EPST.apk not only does not grant access via the PRL dialer code but also removes access via the programming dialer codes (##DATA# and ##xxxxxx#, in which "xxxxxx" is your six digit MSL). So, the very old EPST.apk that allowed PRL swaps on the EVO 4G appears to be a dead end with the EVO LTE.

Back to the drawing board...

AJ

• Like 1

CDMA workshop allows you to read them. I am sure I could have written one.

By the way...they are using 310-FFF. And the new 25004 removes the 800SMR scan from the chicago area.

CDMA workshop allows you to read them. I am sure I could have written one.

By the way...they are using 310-FFF. And the new 25004 removes the 800SMR scan from the chicago area.

Why would they block access to the 800SMR? Unless it's because they are just testing those towers for quality and range.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner