EVO 4GLTE Antenna

Boosted20V

Now that these phones are in peoples hands... how is the antenna design on the them? I was scared of getting a GNex because of the compaints about reception, any complaints with these?

I have a weaker signal here on my EVO LTE than on my E4GT, which is quite shocking. As most of you know, I live next to a Sprint site. My E4GT gets -65dBm consistently. The EVO LTE has been -76dBm since it was activated late this morning.

Whereas the OG EVO's consistently in the forties and fifties.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Even with handsets side by side, comparisons of reception are not very scientific. This is especially true at 1900 MHz, as wavelengths are only ~6 inches long, hence Rayleigh fading can be highly localized and variable.

That said, I have the EVO and EVO LTE side by side at home right now. For CDMA1X, both are idle on the same PN offset and carrier channel (both crucial for any remotely accurate comparison). In Rx power, the EVO beats the EVO LTE, on the average, by 3 dB. And that may be just about as expected, since the EVO's PCS 1900 MHz antenna gain is 1 dBi, while the EVO LTE's PCS 1900 MHz antenna gain is -2 dBi.

AJ

• Like 3

Even with handsets side by side' date=' comparisons of reception are not very scientific. This is especially true at 1900 MHz, as wavelengths are only ~6 inches long, hence Rayleigh fading can be highly localized and variable.

[/quote']

Understood. But the difference between the E4GT and the OG EVO was always noticeable. I guess I was expecting a different result with the EVO LTE than what I am observing after 12 hours.

Well I now see why they have the top part of the back made in plastic.

All the Antenna's are located in the removeable plastic piece.

Hopefully this will work better than the attenna in my evo shift, its attenna's were located in the lower right hand side side of the case.

Which my hand always interferred with when holding my phone.

I noticed a big improvement in signal strength when I used my left hand to hold my shift, but I am right handed and preferred it in my right.

Edited by meatman1964

Well I now see why they have the top part of the back made in plastic.

Hopefully this will work better than the attenna in my evo shift, its attenna's were located in the lower right hand side side of the case.

Which my hand always interferred with when holding my phone.

I noticed a big improvement in signal strength when I used my left hand to hold my shift, but I am right handed and preferred it in my right.

Antennagate :lol: !

No, some of the antennas are located at the base of the handset. We included the antenna diagram in our article about the EVO LTE's FCC certification last month.

http://s4gru.com/ind...fcc-oet-filing/

AJ

This phone still has far better signal than the iPhone. As far as the e4gt, I think its slightly better as the one office at work they couldn't even grab a sprint signal. OG EVO had 2 bars at the most. EVO LTE has 1 bar, sometimes dips down to 0 but can still text without issue.

Just my take on it

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

The antenna power output of this phone is what bothered me. Everything else is awesome about the phone but this.

Posted by NateC:

For reference with respect to ERP, here is how the 4G LTE compares to the original HTC Evo 4G:OG Evo 4G:

Channel 1013 (824.70 MHz): ERP=20.1 dBm, CDMAChannel 384 (836.52 MHz): ERP=20.3 dBm, CDMAChannel 777 (848.31 MHz): ERP=19.0 dBm, CDMA

Evo 4G LTE:

Channel 1013 (824.70 MHz): ERP=18.78 dBm H, 12.65 dBm V, CDMAChannel 384 (836.52 MHz): ERP=20.43 dBm H, 14.16 dBm V, CDMAChannel 777 (848.31 MHz): ERP=19.55 dBm H, 12.96 dBm V, CDMA

​Source: https://apps.fcc.gov...html?id=1664039 and https://apps.fcc.gov...html?id=1278132

In my area I would really be worried about this. But I would gain 1900mhz roaming though which is needed in some markets I go to. The Epic doesn't roam on 1900 last time I checked...software issue they didn't fix. Or maybe it was a feature for sprints decreasing roaming usage.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I've been on WiFi here at work for a couple hours now with no problems. Speeds are even better on wifi than on my OG EVO and I haven't had any connection issues.

186196280.png

I have had no issues with reception. In fact, my house is a low signal area, usually -100 dbm that bounces off of three towers(drives me crazy). My OG EVO and EVO 3d would have choppy reception and drop from time to time. No such issues so far with the EVO LTE.

• Like 1

I have had no issues with reception. In fact' date=' my house is a low signal area, usually -100 dbm that bounces off of three towers(drives me crazy). My OG EVO and EVO 3d would have choppy reception and drop from time to time. No such issues so far with the EVO LTE.[/quote']

What is your signal strength running on the EVO LTE so far?

What is your signal strength running on the EVO LTE so far?

Pulling the data from open signal maps I have gotten as good as -66 dbm. Average has been about -75. There does not seem to be a close correlation between the bar meter and actual signal strength. Edited by centermedic

Pulling the data from open signal maps I have gotten as good as -66 dbm. Average has been about -75. There does not seem to be a close correlation between the bar meter and actual signal strength.

Something has changed drastically. There is no way you can go from -100dBm on an EVO 3D and go to -66dBm on an EVO LTE. Something else is at play. There is a problem somewhere. Or a new tower went live...which doesn't seem likely. Could it be a problem with the app?

Something has changed drastically. There is no way you can go from -100dBm on an EVO 3D and go to -66dBm on an EVO LTE. Something else is at play. There is a problem somewhere. Or a new tower went live...which doesn't seem likely. Could it be a problem with the app?

Oh. You mean signal strength at the house? It still runs anywhere from -85 to -110 depending on which of the three towers I am hitting at the time.

Oh. You mean signal strength at the house? It still runs anywhere from -85 to -110 depending on which of the three towers I am hitting at the time.

Gotcha. I didn't realize you were talking about two different locations.

im getting -100 thru -94 on a dead zone where my touch pro 2 wouldnt get any signal as well as my motorola triumph would get no signal as well. so it is a definite thumbs up! :tu:

• Like 2

Guest 503ducati

EVO 4G LTE and original EVO 4G side by side on my desk OpenSignal running on both.

EVO 4G LTE -87dBm (65% Signal)

EVO 4G -85dBm (70% Signal)

I have not experienced any differences with regards to call quality but have seen an increase in browser speeds over 3G as others have reported. The user experience is night and day between the two, it's a Metro vs a Maserati.

In the same spot:

I know on my old EVO with just one bar of WiMAX signal tethered to my notebook would report 7-12Mbps. I recall reading somewhere that LTE is similar in that it doesn't require much of a signal strength for a solid user experience. Someone had posted connection speed screen shots and the signal was like -107dBm even though the speeds were very good. This is something I experienced often with WiMAX in Portland, OR.

Edited by 503ducati