Network Vision/LTE - Cleveland/NE Ohio Market

Ianmac23

Right at the perkins exit on rt 8, the big lattice tower. It's on your right if you're going south. You can see the exact location if you become a sponsor.

If you're talking about the red and white tower, you're incorrect, that lattice tower does not have Sprint equipment on it. The tower you're referencing is on top of the Summa Health Center which is just East of Rt 8 (near the Perkins exit). Its not not upgraded legacy equipment, rather it's a newly constructed tower that meets NV 3G specs. Any further discussion about this should be taken to the sponsor forums because I think discussing details of the sponsor maps is frowned upon outside sponsor forums.

• Like 1

Not much in the way of information but @ least people in this area have something to look forward too..

So it took me a few days but I just realized that you weren't actually the one that posted the video on YouTube, rather you came across it and did us Clevelanders a favor by throwing it in this thread - am I correct? If that's the case I don't suppose you'd know if / what other towers are being worked on in the area.....I guess we'll all just have to continue to sit and wait patiently....

So it took me a few days but I just realized that you weren't actually the one that posted the video on YouTube, rather you came across it and did us Clevelanders a favor by throwing it in this thread - am I correct? If that's the case I don't suppose you'd know if / what other towers are being worked on in the area.....I guess we'll all just have to continue to sit and wait patiently....

Unfortunately it is not me..lol, if it were I would share all the information at my disposal. I just happen to run into this on youtube and thought you guys would be interested.

The updated NV thread says the scheduled completion date for Cleveland is Q1, 2014.  Is this correct?  If so, that is some depressing bit of news.  I know they turn towers on a little at a time, but I was hoping for some 4G coverage in the next 1 to 3 months, not 8 to 11.

Any thoughts on that, oh mighty knowers of cellular things?

The updated NV thread says the scheduled completion date for Cleveland is Q1, 2014.  Is this correct?  If so, that is some depressing bit of news.  I know they turn towers on a little at a time, but I was hoping for some 4G coverage in the next 1 to 3 months, not 8 to 11.

Any thoughts on that, oh mighty knowers of cellular things?

"Scheduled completion date" is simply the original date in which Sprint planned to have all Network Vision upgrades rolled out to 100% of the towers in a given market. As an example look at the Chicago schedule, the original schedule completion was Dec 2012 but has been pushed back to June 2013. However, 97% of Chicago's towers have had some type of NV upgrade and 75% have had LTE installed, so even though the market is not officially "complete" they've had LTE on some or most of the market for nearly a year now. CLE is a third round market and deployment has already begun here, it should just be a matter of weeks until we start seeing live towers.

I believe Sandusky is part of the Cleveland market.

I'm at Cedar Point right now and I'm getting eHRPD AND SMR800 CDMA.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I'm at Cedar Point right now and I'm getting eHRPD AND SMR800 CDMA.

that has to be good news because Sandusky is closer to Canada then Toledo

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

17 sites accepted in the Cleveland market yesterday.  All 3G.  In the Sandusky/Huron/Vermilion area.  It will be added to the Sponsor maps tonight.

Robert

• Like 3

17 sites accepted in the Cleveland market yesterday.  All 3G.  In the Sandusky/Huron/Vermilion area.  It will be added to the Sponsor maps tonight.

Robert

Quit messing with us Robert....you're messing with us, right? Yeah, he's messing with us...
  • Like 1

I'm at Cedar Point right now and I'm getting eHRPD AND SMR800

This is awesome news, confusing, but awesome because Sandusky is basically IN Canada! I wonder if we've come to an agreement with Canada and the Use of 800 SMR? I found a document online (posted it somewhere in the all things 800 MHz thread) that looked to outline an agreement, but it was 93 pages long and waaaaay to technical for me to make any sense of....I hope this is a good sign for us all!

Robert

What do you mean "All 3G"?  Does that mean just backhaul and 1X 800?

17 sites accepted in the Cleveland market yesterday. All 3G. In the Sandusky/Huron/Vermilion area. It will be added to the Sponsor maps tonight.

Robert

What do you mean "All 3G"? Does that mean just backhaul and 1X 800?

It means all the CDMA side equipment, 1x and EVDO have been accepted as complete by Sprint. No 800 accepted yet.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It means all the CDMA side equipment, 1x and EVDO have been accepted as complete by Sprint. No 800 accepted yet.

Sorry, I meant to say 1X 800 CDMA

17 sites accepted in the Cleveland market yesterday. All 3G. In the Sandusky/Huron/Vermilion area. It will be added to the Sponsor maps tonight.

Robert

This is exciting. I can't wait for them to move further south into the Akron area.

Robert

What do you mean "All 3G"? Does that mean just backhaul and 1X 800?

The cell site inside cedar point is pushing out SMR800 right now. I loved it. I had signal everywhere.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

The cell site inside cedar point is pushing out SMR800 right now. I loved it. I had signal everywhere.

I'm waiting for it to show up in acceptance reports.  Exciting times!

Robert

I'm waiting for it to show up in acceptance reports. Exciting times!

Robert

Robert - Cedar Point (if you're not familiar, it's worth a trip to NE Ohio just by itself) is on a peninsula out in Lake Erie; without looking at a map it's probably no less than 15 miles from the International border with Canada. The fact that the tower is broadcasting 800 SMR from within the IBEZ, does this mean the FCC has come to agreement with their beady eyed, flappy headed counterparts to the North? You can see Nitesnows SignalCheck screen shot above for evidence.

Robert - Cedar Point (if you're not familiar, it's worth a trip to NE Ohio just by itself) is on a peninsula out in Lake Erie; without looking at a map it's probably no less than 15 miles from the International border with Canada. The fact that the tower is broadcasting 800 SMR from within the IBEZ, does this mean the FCC has come to agreement with their beady eyed, flappy headed counterparts to the North? You can see Nitesnows SignalCheck screen shot above for evidence.

I'm very familiar with Cedar Point.  A good friend of mine grew up in Vermilion.

Just to clarify, Sprint can broadcast 800 in the IBEZ.  However, in reduced transmission power levels.  They probably feel they need 800MHz in Ohio to help get people off 1900 for voice for the Motorola to Samsung dropped call problem.  I don't know if you were following what happened in Chicago with all the problems of going from legacy Motorola equipment to new Samsung NV equipment.  But it was a dropped call nightmare.

My guess is that Sprint and Samsung are planning to move all voice activity in the Ohio Motorola markets to CDMA 800 to alleviate this problem when switching over.  So for sites within the IBEZ, they may have felt they had to deploy with reduced power than to wait it out.  A reduced power CDMA 800 would probably act similiar to a CDMA 1900 site at normal broadcast levels.

We'll have to keep an eye on the situation and see what unfolds.  I'm not aware of any new agreements, so I don't think this is the case.

Robert

I'm very familiar with Cedar Point. A good friend of mine grew up in Vermilion.

Just to clarify, Sprint can broadcast 800 in the IBEZ. However, in reduced transmission power levels. They probably feel they need 800MHz in Ohio to help get people off 1900 for voice for the Motorola to Samsung dropped call problem. I don't know if you were following what happened in Chicago with all the problems of going from legacy Motorola equipment to new Samsung NV equipment. But it was a dropped call nightmare.

My guess is that Sprint and Samsung are planning to move all voice activity in the Ohio Motorola markets to CDMA 800 to alleviate this problem when switching over. So for sites within the IBEZ, they may have felt they had to deploy with reduced power than to wait it out. A reduced power CDMA 800 would probably act similiar to a CDMA 1900 site at normal broadcast levels.

We'll have to keep an eye on the situation and see what unfolds. I'm not aware of any new agreements, so I don't think this is the case.

Robert

800MHz was 10-20dB higher indoors when compared to 1900MHz at Cedar Point.

• Like 2

Hey I figured I'd check in and let you folks know that someone was doing upgrades downtown in the street level boxes. I didn't get any pics mostly because I didn't want to annoy the crew doing the switch over. But they were installing what looked like two computer towers that had the brand name "scott" on the front. I also don't know what company they were for or anything for that matter. I'm a bike messenger not a network tech(read in bones mccoy voice). does that help? I don't know, I just want to be able to make a phone call downtown possibly even while in a building.

I was at Cedar Point today and it was very busy there and I kept losing 3g on the iPhone :( I hope they can get this fixed or did they already move on? It has gotten better over there I visit there very often. On slow days its great but busy days its bad unless I go to the back of the park and I can get 3g back for some time....

I was at Cedar Point today and it was very busy there and I kept losing 3g on the iPhone :( I hope they can get this fixed or did they already move on? It has gotten better over there I visit there very often. On slow days its great but busy days its bad unless I go to the back of the park and I can get 3g back for some time....

They are nowhere bear complete with upgrades in the area. They haven't even installed new backhaul yet. Which is most often the problem with Sprint 3G performance.