Samsung GS4 SPH-L720T [TRI-BAND] (was "Sprint GS4 with Tri-Band support this Fall Official Thread")

Ascertion

Guest mreed112

This is the phone I was waiting for.  I am sure it is a nice phone.  I am also positive that is is not worth a $200 premium over the LG G2 that I got for FREE on a cyber Monday special!  I love my G2.

I don't see how it is worth $249 (before MIR) considering how close to a Galaxy S5 launch once it is available.

Eh, the Galaxy S5 may not be available for another six months.  Plus, the Galaxy S4 will continue to be sold for another year, if not longer.

AJ

Eh, the Galaxy S5 may not be available for another six months.  Plus, the Galaxy S4 will continue to be sold for another year, if not longer.

AJ

Right, Plus Samsung has a pretty good track record for updating phones unlike some other OEMs.

I don't see how it is worth $249 (before MIR) considering how close to a Galaxy S5 launch once it is available.

I noticed something interesting in the Target weekly ad today.

GS4 was $79 on AT&T and Verizon.

In small font "see individual stores for Sprint pricing"

I noticed something interesting in the Target weekly ad today.

GS4 was $79 on AT&T and Verizon.

In small font "see individual stores for Sprint pricing"

Also, Radioshack does not have the S4 listed on their website at present, and Target does not have the black model listed (although maybe they never carried it; did not check beforehand).

Target, Walmart, Radioshack all seem to share a similar backend (try checking if eligible for upgrade). Is this maybe a sign of the tri-band coming out over the next few days?

Edited by hhm0

Also, Radioshack does not have the S4 listed on their website at present, and Target does not have the black model listed (although maybe they never carried it; did not check beforehand).

Target, Walmart, Radioshack all seem to share a similar backend (try checking if eligible for upgrade). Is this maybe a sign of the tri-band coming out over the next few days?

Bestbuy has consistently had them for $1 to $49 on upgrade since Black Friday. I recently discovered they get their units straight through the manufacturer, too. They might be one of the first retailers to start carrying it.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Called sprint regarding upgrade eligibility (got a g2 and returned it within the 2 weeks, when I saw the s4 tri band announcement; my account had only reflected this for a bit, and asked about the tri-band s4.

The rep did not know about it until I told him to go to newsroom.sprint.com to the press release! (by the way it seems most if not all store employees have not heard about it either; I was told by a Best Buy rep that the mobile-phones manager at the store in my neighborhood had not heard about it, and earlier, when I returned the g2, at Best Buy, the assistant had not either heard about it. They actually thank you for telling them!

Anyway, once we were on the same page, the sprint rep told me that they were going to sell the tri-bands instead of the svltes, and were not going to sell it as a separate product. They just wait until samsung starts shipping them new units and sell those in place of the old ones, he said, and this shipment will start to be shipped after the 23rd. He also surmised the new handset will have a different model number, "so they can tell the difference". Now, all this is based on what that one rep said/heard, and he told me that I can't find this information online yet when I asked him about it.

If this is the case, it makes sense that most people have not heard of it, as they are not specifically advertising it (the sprint rep couldn't find any info about the tri-band s4 on sprint's spark web minisite, which is where he was previously looking). Also if this is the case, then as Ascertion mentioned:

Bestbuy has consistently had them for $1 to $49 on upgrade since Black Friday. I recently discovered they get their units straight through the manufacturer, too. They might be one of the first retailers to start carrying it.

Sent from my LG-LS980

...Best Buy (and maybe others too) may have it already, and if they do, it should be under a different model number.

Thanks everyone for the info which got me this far; and even if I cannot get the tri-band s4 in the end, then this too is for the best! :-)

He also surmised the new handset will have a different model number, "so they can tell the difference". Now, all this is based on what that one rep said/heard, and he told me that I can't find this information online yet when I asked him about it.

No need to "surmise."  There will be a different model number, and for two months now, it has been in the title of this thread and in our article.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-356-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s4-2-3/

AJ

I think Best Buy might either have them or will soon because I just noticed that the single band S4 is on sale for $29.99 on contract while only a week ago it was $49.99.

I'll check Saturday when I go in.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 2

It a warped, twisted way, it makes manipulative psychological / marketing sense.  Sell off as much of the old stock S4 (SPH-L720) as possible as pre-christmas purchase gifts to catch the people buying them for others (or themselves) that aren't informed of the potential benefit and are just looking for sales or "deals".  You also get the most impatient people that "can't wait" out of the way.

Then, Sprint/Samsung switches on or about Christmas to the S4T Spark (SPH-L720T) to catch the other people that received MONEY as gifts to spend on gifts for themselves as they please after the fact.  They're either informed and ALREADY waiting or are ready for the "excitement" of any marketing announcement that will help drive impulse buys against money burning holes in pockets.

Is there any benefit / downside to purchasing phone and renewing contract via Best Buy vs a company Sprint store?  Sprint stores seem to have (at least around here) FAR more knowledgeable people with access to Sprint inventory levels and internal news bulletins.

I have s4 since release date.  I'm going to do the one up program when the 5 comes out.  No since waste money on same phone just to get more lte bands.  I'm happy getting 26 down and 10 up. I Know you would get a little farther with 800.   I hope sprint gets the google edition of the s5.  I don't use any features of the s4 except remote and screen to stay on when looking at it. 

Doesn't that gray icon with the red x over it mean that that is a feature that it doesn't have? It is cool that Sprint is now adding the Spark capability as a listed feature that a customer can look for, though.

I've decided to get the Spark version of GS4.  When I go to the store, how can I verify I get the triband version and not the 1900LTE  only version?  When is it expected in stores?  Am traveling, visiting relatives and want to give GS3 to relative before I head out Dec 29.

I've decided to get the Spark version of GS4.  When I go to the store, how can I verify I get the triband version and not the 1900LTE  only version?  When is it expected in stores?  Am traveling, visiting relatives and want to give GS3 to relative before I head out Dec 29.

SPH-L720T

I don't think it's available yet though.

Checked BestBuys ordering system and nothing new for the SPHL720T. Had a ton of the original GS4, but nothing new about the T. I'm wondering if the SKU is even going to change. I'll be activating phones until Feb so I'll let you guys know when I see the Spark icon on a Sprint GS4. ;)

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1