Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

I was able to get a brief flicker of 4G at Hafners near the "flagpole" this morning by toggling between "CDMA Only" and "CDMA/LTE", but it stayed less than a second before falling over to 3G. Still, it was exciting to see a 4 show up in in the notification bar for the first time.

• Like 1

I just got LTE here in Everett again today on Bartlett st off 99. My phone went into roaming and for a minute I had Verizon LTE.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Hate to burst your bubble, but the phone is incapable to connect to Verizon lte. Not sure why it showed up like that, but I would guess it was ehrpd.

Sent with AOSP JB Toro on Forum Runner

Hate to burst your bubble, but the phone is incapable to connect to Verizon lte. Not sure why it showed up like that, but I would guess it was ehrpd.

He's looking at a Netmonitor screen that is very misleading. One field on the app screen shows the data type as LTE because there is an LTE connection somewhere. The other fields show CDMA IDs that the phone happens to be connected to at the same time. And further, because of timing issues in the underlying Android API, we can't even be sure that the device is updating all those CDMA data elements concurrently to provide data for an app like Netmonitor to display. The SID, NID and BSID values are not even updated in sync with each other. This is documented as a known issue with the Android API.

I have been able to connect to Verizon eHRPD on 850 Cellular here locally on my GS3. Can't keep it long. It will dump me back to EVDO-A in approximately 20 seconds.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

He's looking at a Netmonitor screen that is very misleading. One field on the app screen shows the data type as LTE because there is an LTE connection somewhere. The other fields show CDMA IDs that the phone happens to be connected to at the same time. And further' date=' because of timing issues in the underlying Android API, we can't even be sure that the device is updating all those CDMA data elements concurrently to provide data for an app like Netmonitor to display. The SID, NID and BSID values are not even updated in sync with each other. This is documented as a known issue with the Android API.

Not sure what you're trying to prove. I stated that the phone is not capable of connecting to Verizon LTE.

Not sure what you're trying to prove. I stated that the phone is not capable of connecting to Verizon LTE.

Yes. And you also said, "Not sure why it showed up like that, but I would guess it was ehrpd."

That's what I was responding to. I was explaining how LTE could show up on the Netmonitor screen while it also showed a CDMA connection to Verizon. It was all just a reporting anomaly. But Android and Netmonitor are capable of distinguishing between eHRPD and LTE. I believe that he had a Sprint LTE connection.

Anyone else feel like the string is just being dangled here? I also seem to be having a problem where my phone tries to jump to 4G in areas where they may be working on it, but instead it just has no data signal at all despite having 4-5 bars. This is nonsense.

Anyone else feel like the string is just being dangled here? I also seem to be having a problem where my phone tries to jump to 4G in areas where they may be working on it, but instead it just has no data signal at all despite having 4-5 bars. This is nonsense.

Take a deep breath. Sprint hasn't even officially announced Boston as an LTE city yet. Put your phone in CDMA-only mode if you don't want to get bounced around during testing. I'm just excited that we have been seeing steady signs of progress!

• Like 5

Take a deep breath. Sprint hasn't even officially announced Boston as an LTE city yet. Put your phone in CDMA-only mode if you don't want to get bounced around during testing. I'm just excited that we have been seeing steady signs of progress!

Well said.

Sort of strange someone would say that Sprint making steady progress deploying LTE in the Boston market is "nonsense".

bostonsprintguy: bars have nothing to do with your LTE connection anyway, they are completely meaningless when looking at LTE signal. Bars map to CDMA voice, not LTE. Considering how far along Sprint is in Boston, in a market they haven't even announced, things seem pretty good for us.

• Like 3

Well said.

Sort of strange someone would say that Sprint making steady progress deploying LTE in the Boston market is "nonsense".

bostonsprintguy: bars have nothing to do with your LTE connection anyway' date=' they are completely meaningless when looking at LTE signal. Bars map to CDMA voice, not LTE. Considering how far along Sprint is in Boston, in a market they haven't even announced, things seem pretty good for us.[/quote']

Strange you say that about bars, cause my Viper bars sometimes displays for 3G and most of the time it displays 1x.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I stopped at Cote's Market in Lowell today to pick up some baked beans, and low and behold, I had a great LTE signal in the parking lot. 15Mbps down/12Mbps up. Looking at the maps when I got home, it looks like I was hitting the tower a couple of blocks away at Merrimack and Cabot. I can't wait for the big rollout!

• Like 2

I stopped at Cote's Market in Lowell today to pick up some baked beans, and low and behold, I had a great LTE signal in the parking lot. 15Mbps down/12Mbps up. Looking at the maps when I got home, it looks like I was hitting the tower a couple of blocks away at Merrimack and Cabot. I can't wait for the big rollout!

Got another 4G signal in Everett, MA today (probably the tower was in Malden). Not as great speeds (6Mbps up/2Mbps down), but I was probably 1.5 miles from the tower. This is getting exciting!

My question is about the arm pit of Massachusetts, western mass? What is the status with 4g lte around these parts? Anyone know a guesstimate?

Areas of West of Springfield, like in the Pittsfield area, are some of the last areas in the Boston market schedule to get Network Vision/LTE upgrades. However, some of the Springfield area sites have already been completed. But likely will not be live until closer to market launch.

Robert

I'm actually next to springfield in Chicopee. Do you happen to know when it's the"launch" for this part? I seen on the sprint site that some of the towers around here have gotten upgrades but I haven't seen any 4g pop up on my phone like in the Boston area. I was thinking that I would as I'm thinking sprint will like to test the sites.

I'm actually next to springfield in Chicopee. Do you happen to know when it's the"launch" for this part? I seen on the sprint site that some of the towers around here have gotten upgrades but I haven't seen any 4g pop up on my phone like in the Boston area. I was thinking that I would as I'm thinking sprint will like to test the sites.

The Sprint site, network.sprint.com, only tracks maintenance upgrades being performed by their Network Management firm. That work is not associated with Network Vision and LTE deployment. S4GRU.com is the only site to date that tracks Network Vision/LTE deployment on a site by site basis.

In our Sponsors section we have maps that show all the sites in the country that will receive NV/LTE, as well as maps that show all the sites that have been completed to date. For more information about how to become a sponsor, you can read this thread: http://s4gru.com/ind...come-a-sponsor/

Robert