Athens, GA LTE

danielholt

I was parked in the rent a center parking lot off atlanta hwy/broad... heres the address:

2177 West Broad Street

Athens, GA 30606

I had decent 4-5 bars of LTE there... however, the speed tests were not up to par, I'm guessing the area I was in was a heavily used cell area, there were 4 cell towers right next to eachother.

This site is not on Roberts live LTE sheet for Athens, nor the May deployment list.

I was in Athens today and tried my 4G and did not get any signal.

Not surprising, but I tried.

Robert, if you are able to tell me anything about the tower I mentioned above, that would be cool.

Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

For 30mb down/10mb up LTE:

Google Maps your way to:

1640 Old Epps Bridge Rd

Athens, GA 30606

Just don't sit in front of their house, they WILL walk outside and ask what you're doing there, altho they are not hostile people, it is country folk in a backwoods neighborhood who have, lets just say, southern values ;-). This house is directly in front of the tower, It's the best spot I've picked up LTE from thusfar, and the spot where I've generated the 34mb download speed.

For a ho-hum LTE site that's not really stable yet:

Google Maps your way to:

2177 West Broad Street

Athens, GA 30606

Remember to power cycle, from LTE/CDMA --> CDMA --> LTE/CDMA . The chipset isn't the most blazing fast at detecting on its own.

@s4gru / Robert....

AT04XC505

33.91885566626313, -83.37689492713358,

2145 S Milledge Ave, Athens, GA 30605, USA

did not turn on on 5/12 as planned, or at least as far as I can tell. i live 1 mile from the tower and have tried it a few times over the last few days, power cycling and what not. are you provided exceptions when those towers don't turn on in time?

@s4gru / Robert....

AT04XC505

33.91885566626313' date=' -83.37689492713358,

2145 S Milledge Ave, Athens, GA 30605, USA

did not turn on on 5/12 as planned, or at least as far as I can tell. i live 1 mile from the tower and have tried it a few times over the last few days, power cycling and what not. are you provided exceptions when those towers don't turn on in time?[/quote']

1. Provided exceptions? No. Seems like few are hitting their schedule dates exactly.

2. Can you tell which LTE sites are on-air, but being blocked by Sprint? Does it show this on your device?

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

yeah exceptions... like when UPS can't meet a delivery, they put on your tracking # that there was an exception, and reason why.... the 2nd live LTE tower i discovered yesterday which were not on any of your lists... in the past has gone to 4G and then immediately back down to 3G. I've reviewed the sponsored areas... but did not find any specific information I'm looking for.

these are sites that are broadcasting live LTE signals for any sprint LTE handset to utilize.

5-19-201211-59-23AM.png

Awesome bro, thanks.

• Like 1

these are sites that are broadcasting live LTE signals for any sprint LTE handset to utilize.

Thanks for the update!

OK sirs.. officially no more 4 geeeeees for me in Athens. The tower I did my tests on are pushing me down to 3G. Guess some unions generals saw my posts and decided to burn down my LTE on their march to the sea.

OK sirs.. officially no more 4 geeeeees for me in Athens. The tower I did my tests on are pushing me down to 3G. Guess some unions generals saw my posts and decided to burn down my LTE on their march to the sea.

Bummer. I was afraid this might happen. It sounds like all the 4G LTE sites have been blocked now. I am hearing reports all over where people can no longer access LTE sites they used to be able to.

I think they have locked them down because of the EVO LTE. I think they don't want people to discover their precious new EVO LTE's have connectivity issues to the LTE network.

Although I have not received any inside information to back this up, I'm expecting there to be an OTA that comes out within the next few weeks. And when it does, Sprint will claim the OTA will open up the device to use LTE, and then they will stop unblocking the network.

Sprint needs to just be more open about this stuff.

verizon did similar things when they were launching in raleigh. lte would appear, then disappear, then appear, then disappear.... load test probably, doubt thats whats going on in my case tho.

i can report tho, that the LTE signal seems to propagate farther than the 3G signals, as the spot i was sitting in usually yeiled all bars of signal, this 3G signal gave me 1 bar. dunno guys, will be interesting.

• Like 3

i can report tho' date=' that the LTE signal seems to propagate farther than the 3G signals, as the spot i was sitting in usually yeiled all bars of signal, this 3G signal gave me 1 bar. dunno guys, will be interesting.[/quote']

I believe that the signal indicators are not equal. For instance, the -dBm level for 2 bars in EVDO will be different than LTE. When LTE comes back around Athens, you should check that out. But you will need to subtract 14 from the LTE signal to get them equal, to compare apples to apples.

well going from full bars to 1 bar is a big difference. i will keep my eye on it, but hopefully it wasn't a google oversight... i doubt it as they already have exp with the verizon lte galaxy nexus.

• Like 1

Bummer. I was afraid this might happen. It sounds like all the 4G LTE sites have been blocked now. I am hearing reports all over where people can no longer access LTE sites they used to be able to.

I think they have locked them down because of the EVO LTE. I think they don't want people to discover their precious new EVO LTE's have connectivity issues to the LTE network.

Although I have not received any inside information to back this up, I'm expecting there to be an OTA that comes out within the next few weeks. And when it does, Sprint will claim the OTA will open up the device to use LTE, and then they will stop unblocking the network.

Sprint needs to just be more open about this stuff.

I guess I won't be trying to find any LTE signals in LA then tomorrow. Could it have something to do with the PRL on the phone?

I guess I won't be trying to find any LTE signals in LA then tomorrow. Could it have something to do with the PRL on the phone?

No it has to do with a base station setting and with LTE phones you can't even change the PRL as LTE phones store the PRL on the RUIM and don't have a DM feature.

• Like 1

No it has to do with a base station setting and with LTE phones you can't even change the PRL as LTE phones store the PRL on the RUIM and don't have a DM feature.

I'll still try while I'm down there, just in case by freak chance. Also, Sprint can still push PRL's to my Viper since that was the only way they fixed my 3G data this last week.