Athens, GA LTE

danielholt

How fast is 2G and 1G on NV?

I don't see us using 2G for data much after NV is complete, but I do remember that 1X Advanced is faster than current 1XRTT. 1G networks don't exist anymore as they were shut down in 2008 when AMPS was turned off.

• Like 2

I don't see us using 2G for data much after NV is complete, but I do remember that 1X Advanced is faster than current 1XRTT. 1G networks don't exist anymore as they were shut down in 2008 when AMPS was turned off.

I hear 1xRTT has a max speed of 384kbps with real world speeds around 100~200 kbps. So since 1xAdvanced has maximum speeds of ~560kbps I would expect 300~400kbps on it but since LTE will be deployed at 800 I seriously doubt you will run into 1x data enough for this to matter, unless you're roaming which is still 1xRTT.

• Like 1

heh... 700+mb worth of speed tests.. you know you guys love it!

Screenshot_2012-05-10-14-54-38.png

HAHA! almost a GB on the the Speedtest.net app alone! Good thing you're not on "one of those limited data plans!"

That will be me when I get my first taste of Network Vision, too! lol

No sites in the Atlanta market have 3G NV upgrades live yet. None. Zero. Zilch. Only LTE enhancements live so far in Atlanta/Athens area.

On another note, 1xAdvanced can be deployed for capacity/signal strength gains or speed gains, not both. So if Sprint deploys 1xAdvanced for maximum capacity, speeds stay right around 144kbps maximum.

Robert

• Like 1

No sites in the Atlanta market have 3G NV upgrades live yet. None. Zero. Zilch. Only LTE enhancements live so far in Atlanta/Athens area.

On another note, 1xAdvanced can be deployed for capacity/signal strength gains or speed gains, not both. So if Sprint deploys 1xAdvanced for maximum capacity, speeds stay right around 144kbps maximum.

Robert

I'm guessing maximum capacity, being able to effectivly get 8 channels out of 2 means more LTE in the PCS Band. If I was Sprint I would demand all non dumb phones have LTE capability by next year like Verizon. Dumbphones could be required to support the 800 band 1x advanced than. By 2014 they should only need 1 1xadvanced channel on pcs, saving all the spectrum for LTE, perhaps leaving 1 evdo channel

Robert

Hopefully we won't lose 3G signal as much with NV.

bad news.... went into a trader joes less than 1 mile from the live LTE tower tonight, and it was dropping to 3G with 1 bar just walking around the store, walked out the door, went back up to 4G LTE..... signal penetration is very very bad compared to our verizon LTE...... *so far* anyways. I guess its important to note that I had 4 bars of verizon LTE 4G on our other phone walking around the store, with verizon LTE on the same tower as the sprint LTE

map below is my LTE tower with line tool to the trader joes I was in... 4000 feet away from eachother.

joes.png

bad news.... went into a trader joes less than 1 mile from the live LTE tower tonight, and it was dropping to 3G with 1 bar just walking around the store, walked out the door, went back up to 4G LTE..... signal penetration is very very bad compared to our verizon LTE...... *so far* anyways. I guess its important to note that I had 4 bars of verizon LTE 4G on our other phone walking around the store, with verizon LTE on the same tower as the sprint LTE

map below is my LTE tower with line tool to the trader joes I was in... 4000 feet away from eachother.

700MHz will penetrate much better, no doubt. LTE 1900 signal should perform about the same signal intensity as the 3G. No one should expect a stronger signal on Sprint LTE than Sprint 3G.

We don't know what the downtilt is of that sector either. It may be that another site is actually pointed at that area. One that hasn't had LTE lit up, yet.

Robert

• Like 1

I definately agree with the 700Mhz... it will be an amazing thing when sprint turn on their 800mhz band next year. I'm really rooting for sprint.

Sprint says in their lab reports that the signal difference between 700MHz and 800MHz is only 3%. So we should notice virtually no difference between Verizon LTE and Sprint 800 LTE, when it goes live.

Robert

• Like 5

Sprint says in their lab reports that the signal difference between 700MHz and 800MHz is only 3%. So we should notice virtually no difference between Verizon LTE and Sprint 800 LTE, when it goes live.

Robert

I love info like this!

It will be a game changer for sprint when they light LTE up @ 800MHz

• Like 2

Does anybody know if you can use HD on YouTube when you are in 4G. Because the HD button disappears when you are on 3G. If HD is on 4G, when it comes to Knoxville my usage is gonna be massive, lol.

Edited by nocturnal

Does anybody know if you can use HD on YouTube when you are in 4G. Because the HD button disappears when you are on 3G. If HD is on 4G' date=' when it comes to Knoxville my usage is gonna be massive, lol.[/quote']

I can use HD on my E4GT on EVDO. I think it is dependent on throughout speed at the time, not the signal type.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Robert,

I cannot get close enough to the tower near my home. I don't even know whose tower it is.

Here is the Longitude and Latitude:

Lat: N 34 deg 00'15.431"

Lon: W 083 deg 34'50.781"

I hope this is understandable and finds you the tower I am speaking of.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks.

Mav. B)

Robert,

I cannot get close enough to the tower near my home. I don't even know whose tower it is.

Here is the Longitude and Latitude:

Lat: N 34 deg 00'15.431"

Lon: W 083 deg 34'50.781"

I hope this is understandable and finds you the tower I am speaking of.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks.

Mav. B)

I could not find the edit button.

According to Google Maps, the approximate address is across the street from:

1909 Hwy 82

Statham, GA 30666

Mav. B)

Edited by VW Maverick

Does anybody know if you can use HD on YouTube when you are in 4G. Because the HD button disappears when you are on 3G. If HD is on 4G, when it comes to Knoxville my usage is gonna be massive, lol.

I can use HD on my E4GT on EVDO. I think it is dependent on throughout speed at the time, not the signal type.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

I think the connection type causes it default to one or the other. If you are on 3g then the video will automatically play in standard quality but if you are on a 4g connection or wifi it will automatically play in high quality. No matter the connection type though you can still toggle between standard or high quality.

I was in Athens today and tried my 4G and did not get any signal.

Not surprising, but I tried.

Robert, if you are able to tell me anything about the tower I mentioned above, that would be cool.

Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

I was in Athens today and tried my 4G and did not get any signal.

Not surprising' date=' but I tried.

Robert, if you are able to tell me anything about the tower I mentioned above, that would be cool.

Thanks.

Mav. :cool:[/quote']

Go to only cracker barrel in town and you'll get it. Its not lit up all over town.. there's maps and extensive detail about where to get the signal if you actually read thru this thread.

Go to only cracker barrel in town and you'll get it. Its not lit up all over town.. there's maps and extensive detail about where to get the signal if you actually read thru this thread.

Also cycle from cdma back to cdma/lte otherwise it may take some time to auto discover. I was near this tower yesterday and used lte ... so its still online.