Virgin and Boost prepaid may get 4G love with Wimax?????

ericdabbs

According to Technobuffalo, Virgin and Boost prepaid may be getting some 4G love but of the Wimax flavor as soon as June. At first glance I thought, why would Sprint give 4G capability to prepaid since their plans are so cheap already until it hit me. I think its a very good idea that Sprint is doing this.

Not only would it bring the Virgin and Boost customers to increase their data speeds with the introduction of 4G Wimax but I think Sprint is making this move primarily to help relieve capacity on its 3G network. This benefits not only Sprint but Clearwire as well for the following reasons:

1) Helps Sprint offload 3G data to 4G WiMax in markets that have Clearwire service that will help relieve tower capacity for the 3G network for not only postpaid but also prepaid customers as well. Since Sprint and Clearwire have a contract until 2015 to provide Wimax capability why not take advantage of it.

2) Helps Clearwire maintain a steady stream of revenue from Sprint prepaid customers to replace the hopefully huge exodus of the postpaid EVO and current out of contract customers fleeing to LTE phones.

3) Possible increase ARPU on Sprint's prepaid customers by increasing prices to help subsidize the Clearwire network. Not sure if they will charge the full $10 extra for the 4G service but I think Sprint should.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/mobile-devices/phones/virgin-mobile-and-boost-making-the-move-to-4g-via-sprints-wimax-as-soon-as-june/

What do you guys think?

I get that there is still backlash on Mark's article about the alleged LTE markets which spread like wildfire to other tech blogs reporting the false news. I thought that the idea of prepaid customers getting 4G but of the Wimax flavor to help offload the 3G network and found the article interesting. We should all really hope that it does come to fruition because that would seriously help Sprint offload more customers data off of Sprint's 3G network onto Clearwire's 4G network for those that live in the Wimax footprint.

• Like 2

I get that there is still backlash on Mark's article about the alleged LTE markets which spread like wildfire to other tech blogs reporting the false news. I thought that the idea of prepaid customers getting 4G but of the Wimax flavor to help offload the 3G network and found the article interesting. We should all really hope that it does come to fruition because that would seriously help Sprint offload more customers data off of Sprint's 3G network onto Clearwire's 4G network for those that live in the Wimax footprint.

I do hope its true, just not getting excited until I see it from a more trustworthy source.

I do hope its true, just not getting excited until I see it from a more trustworthy source.

SprintFeed was very credible. Mark has to appease his new bosses, and if that means publishing a story that he knows or suspects is misleading, he may feel he has no other choice. It got their name out there in a big way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I don't think this is a good idea. It's not fair that they'll be paying less and get 4G when we are paying more.

What makes you think that Sprint won't increase prices to account for 4G Wimax. They could easily implement the premium data surcharge onto prepaid for 4G Wimax service. Keep in mind the 4G service they would be getting is 4G Wimax NOT 4G LTE which will be nationwide. Us postpaid customers will eventually move onto LTE anyways. Anything that can help shift customers off of the 3G network is more than welcomed. Its about time that Clearwire's spectrum is put into good use.

The Technobuffalo article did mention that it read rumors from Pocketnow.com about how Sprint was rebranding Wimax phones onto the Virgin Mobile line. Below is a link to the EVO 3D being rebranded to Virgin Mobile as the Evo V 4G. This helps put some credence as to Sprint's 4G plans for prepaid carriers Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile.

http://pocketnow.com...r-virgin-mobile

http://www.gottabemo...le-as-evo-v-4g/

The Technobuffalo article did mention that it read rumors from Pocketnow.com about how Sprint was rebranding Wimax phones onto the Virgin Mobile line. Below is a link to the EVO 3D being rebranded to Virgin Mobile as the Evo V 4G. This helps put some credence as to Sprint's 4G plans for prepaid carriers Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile.

http://pocketnow.com...r-virgin-mobile

http://www.gottabemo...le-as-evo-v-4g/

Not just the Evo 3D, but it looks like the EVO Design 4g will be heading to boost mobile. I do like that the prepaid side is getting some much higher quality devices.

http://pocketnow.com/android/htc-evo-design-4g-coming-to-boost-mobile

I spoke with a gentleman who works for the VM & BM side of Sprint. He said that information was not too leak but the phone information mentioned by marioc21 are pretty accurate and true. Why not repurpose existing WiMax phones to prepaid and get some more more money out of folks? This will help Clearwire's cashflow and get more money in their pockets as well and more quickly launch the TDD-LTE network. This is a win win for a lot of folks in my opinion.

Imagine if they offered the Samsung Epic Touch 4G on VM and BM for prepaid. I think its a great idea to rebrand existing Wimax phones to VM and BM to clear out its inventory and provide prepaid customers a 4G Wimax alternative to compete with MetroPCS, Cricket and Tmobile. I would be curious if Sprint will implement the $10 surcharge to cover the Clearwire costs or else it would eat into the VM and BM profits on their already low prices.

I think this is a fantastic idea. Im one of the few who actually likes wimax and gonna hate to see it go.

I think this is a fantastic idea. Im one of the few who actually likes wimax and gonna hate to see it go.

You won't miss it when LTE goes live nationwide.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

You won't miss it when LTE goes live nationwide.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

It's really a shame WiMax wasn't deployed in a better frequency spectrum. WiMax has higher data capacity than LTE (128 mbps in a 20 MHz carrier versus LTE's 108 mbps in a 20 MHz carrier), but deployment is really the key.

• Like 3

In South Florida WiMax coverage is so spotty I can't see Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile subscribers using it throughout an entire day to relieve any substantial amount of strain from the current 3g network to make much of a difference. The service coverage is just too inconsistent. How many of you are able to use WiMax service throughout an entire day without dropping back to 3g?

i love my wimax. while its a great idea for sprint to include wimax phones on their prepaid services.. this is going to slow down my already slow 4G data even more now. wimax wont see any upgraded backhaul, correct?

i love my wimax. while its a great idea for sprint to include wimax phones on their prepaid services.. this is going to slow down my already slow 4G data even more now. wimax wont see any upgraded backhaul, correct?

Clearwire already has great microwave backhaul on its towers. Although I don't know what the backhaul capacity is of whether its 1 Gbps or greater. Also keep in mind that while Virgin and Boost customers will be coming onto the Clearwire 4G Wimax network there will also be a ton of the original HTC EVO 4G and Samsung Epic 4G customers that will be exiting the gates for the LTE phones this summer thus balancing out the additional Virgin and Boost customers. At the end, I believe the Wimax speeds will stay the same as they are currently. I know I plan to get a LTE phone next fall when my contract ends to replace my Photon 4G phone which I currently love.

In South Florida WiMax coverage is so spotty I can't see Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile subscribers using it throughout an entire day to relieve any substantial amount of strain from the current 3g network to make much of a difference. The service coverage is just too inconsistent. How many of you are able to use WiMax service throughout an entire day without dropping back to 3g?

I can lol and I'm in Chicago

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

As long as the phones don't cost a arm and a leg this can be a win win for all party's involved

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I would think the phones would have to be discounted to the 300 dollar range instead of the $550 retail price points. Even MetroPCS 4G LTE phones are between 199 and 299.

Check this article out for a more interesting tale of Boost and 4G phones.

Source: http://www.phonenews.com/boost-mobile-to-offer-evo-design-4g-variant-by-current-quarters-end-20203/

This article states that the Boost version of the EVO Design will be offered with ICS from day one.

Check this article out for a more interesting tale of Boost and 4G phones.

Source: http://www.phonenews...ters-end-20203/

This article states that the Boost version of the EVO Design will be offered with ICS from day one.

Mighty nice if it's true. If you're going to extend an older tech like wimax then put out phones with the latest version of android. The Design 4g has plenty of ram for it. Waiting to see what final price on a device like that is. Would make a nice option for people that want smartphone but don't want contract.