JimBob

LG G7 ThinQ

Anybody find the the touch screen too sensitive?  As I am scrolling a page with my finger, the screen registers a tap instead.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:45 PM, S4GRU said:

This matte blue G7 is sharp.  Me likey breadsticks!

As31Dzb5GSYJuoNWvKbuxUeZxmFw_7Mt5czrokCn

I did break down and order one of these today. I really like the blue. 

I'm in the market for a new phone and this one has made my radar.  I have a couple of questions for the gurus.

I'll be using the phone on the Sprint network via Ting.

1)  While comparing this phone to my current phone (Moto X Pure Edition) on the Phone Arena website, I noticed quite a bit of differences in band availability.  Compared to the Moto X Pure, the LG G7 ThinQ is missing bands 1, 3, 8, 12, 17, 25, 26, 38, & 41.  But, it does have some bands the Moto X does not:  20, 28, 46, & 66.  What, if any, performance difference would this make in the two phones?  Here's a link to the Phone Arena comparison:  https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-X-Pure-Edition-2015,LG-G7-ThinQ/phones/9694%2C10779

2)  Never owned an LG phone and heard this one was pretty much pure Android.  How much bloatware is installed and can it be disabled?  Any annoyances to deal with?

Thanks much,

DC

3 minutes ago, DC3 said:

I'm in the market for a new phone and this one has made my radar.  I have a couple of questions for the gurus.

I'll be using the phone on the Sprint network via Ting.

1)  While comparing this phone to my current phone (Moto X Pure Edition) on the Phone Arena website, I noticed quite a bit of differences in band availability.  Compared to the Moto X Pure, the LG G7 ThinQ is missing bands 1, 3, 8, 12, 17, 25, 26, 38, & 41.  But, it does have some bands the Moto X does not:  20, 28, 46, & 66.  What, if any, performance difference would this make in the two phones?  Here's a link to the Phone Arena comparison:  https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-X-Pure-Edition-2015,LG-G7-ThinQ/phones/9694%2C10779

2)  Never owned an LG phone and heard this one was pretty much pure Android.  How much bloatware is installed and can it be disabled?  Any annoyances to deal with?

Thanks much,

DC

1.  According to people on Reddit, the G710ULM unlocked version does support 12, 25, 26 & 41, even though omitted from the LG specs page.  This is the version I purchased.  In blue.

2.  The UI is a lot like Pure Android.  But it still has some bloatware.  As far as disabling, I defer to others.  I won't have mine for another week.

Robert

10 minutes ago, DC3 said:

1)  While comparing this phone to my current phone (Moto X Pure Edition) on the Phone Arena website, I noticed quite a bit of differences in band availability.  Compared to the Moto X Pure, the LG G7 ThinQ is missing bands 1, 3, 8, 12, 17, 25, 26, 38, & 41.  But, it does have some bands the Moto X does not:  20, 28, 46, & 66.  What, if any, performance difference would this make in the two phones?  Here's a link to the Phone Arena comparison: 

Where are you getting the phone from?

They did something very wrong because that is totally incorrect. *If* the phone were missing Bands 25, 26, and 41, it would not work on Sprint at all, and is missing T-Mobile bands as well. Wherever they are getting their information, it is wrong. The LG G7 has most of those bands.

12 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

1.  According to people on Reddit, the G710ULM unlocked version does support 12, 25, 26 & 41, even though omitted from the LG specs page.  This is the version I purchased.  In blue.

2.  The UI is a lot like Pure Android.  But it still has some bloatware.  As far as disabling, I defer to others.  I won't have mine for another week.

Robert

Thanks.  Good to know. Where are you purchasing the phone in Blue?  Could only find Black and Gray the other day on Amazon.

11 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Where are you getting the phone from?

They did something very wrong because that is totally incorrect. *If* the phone were missing Bands 25, 26, and 41, it would not work on Sprint at all, and is missing T-Mobile bands as well. Wherever they are getting their information, it is wrong. The LG G7 has most of those bands.

Thanks.

Not sure where I'm getting the phone at this point.  Not surprised that Phone Arena's info is suspect.  They tend to guess at specs until a phone is announced and then fail to update once the specs are available.  Is there a website that would have definitive specs on these phones?  I couldn't find band info anywhere on LG's site.

So you guys think this phone will perform as well as my Moto X Pure Edition from a cellular connectivity standpoint?  I used to need an Airave at my house but since Sprint improved the network, I no longer do.  But, the basement has a bit of a weak signal which my Moto X holds onto so I'm hoping the next phone is not a step backward.

DC

6 minutes ago, DC3 said:

So you guys think this phone will perform as well as my Moto X Pure Edition from a cellular connectivity standpoint?  I used to need an Airave at my house but since Sprint improved the network, I no longer do.  But, the basement has a bit of a weak signal which my Moto X holds onto so I'm hoping the next phone is not a step backward.

Performance is great for me. I don't have a Moto to compare to, I had the LG G6 previous to this one, and performance has been the same or better. (Better on speeds thanks to 2xCA on B25, 4x4 MIMO, and higher order QAM). 

Found what looks like to be more reliable specs at the Phone Scoop website.  https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?p=5775,4883

LG G7 ThinQ:

LTE  1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 20 / 25 / 26 / 30 / 40 / 41 / 66 / 71
WCDMA  1 / 2 / 4 / 5 / 8
CDMA  800 / 850 / 1900
GSM  850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

Motorola Moto X Pure Edition:

LTE  1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 25 / 26 / 41
WCDMA  1 / 2 / 4 / 5 / 8
CDMA  800 / 850 / 1900
GSM  850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

If these specs are accurate, it looks like I won't be giving up anything and will instead gain a few bands.

DC

• Like 1

One more question:  Will I be able to use the nano SIM from my Moto X Pure or does this LG take a different size SIM?

Edit:  Nevermind.  Should have read the link I posted in the previous post.  That comparison shows both phones take the same size SIM (nano).

DC

Edited by DC3

3 hours ago, DC3 said:

Thanks.  Good to know. Where are you purchasing the phone in Blue?  Could only find Black and Gray the other day on Amazon.

Google. https://store.google.com/about/phones/?LGG7thinq

It was $300 off last weekend.  And you can finance 0% APR OAC.

1 hour ago, S4GRU said:

Google. https://store.google.com/about/phones/?LGG7thinq

It was $300 off last weekend.  And you can finance 0% APR OAC.

Dang. That was a good sale. Can you take that to Sprint or does it have to be used on Fi?

Just now, Dkoellerwx said:

Dang. That was a good sale. Can you take that to Sprint or does it have to be used on Fi?

To get the $300 credit you have to activate on a Project Fi acct.  Which I already have.  So I will then go and move it over after I activate it on Project Fi.

7 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

To get the $300 credit you have to activate on a Project Fi acct.  Which I already have.  So I will then go and move it over after I activate it on Project Fi.

Ahh, I see. A good deal if you have Fi then. 

Thanks for the help.  LG has recently announced a very similar phone (LG G7 One) that will run pure Android without LG's overlay.  I'm going to wait a bit and see how the specs and availability of the new model stack up before making a decision.  I think I'll like a phone better that doesn't have any bloat.

To clarify a previous post, Ting is now telling me that the SIM in my Motorola Moto X is a C5 SIM and the LG G7 ThinQ takes a C7 SIM so I will have to pick up a new SIM if I buy this phone.

Robert - if you get a chance after getting the phone, post up a review.  Would like to hear your thoughts.

DC

• Like 1

Looking at the Best Buy Black Friday ad, it looks like the LG G7 will be available for $7/mo, though details are sparse:

https://www.bfads.net/stores/best-buy/ads/black-friday/page-24

Assuming it applies to upgrades, as my G6 upgrade did last year, does anyone have any feedback on how the G7 compares with the G6?  I know the G7 lacks the rear power button, which is disappointing, but how about other features/design decisions?

- Trip