LG G7 ThinQ

JimBob

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 11:45 PM, S4GRU said:

This matte blue G7 is sharp.  Me likey breadsticks!

As31Dzb5GSYJuoNWvKbuxUeZxmFw_7Mt5czrokCn

I did break down and order one of these today. I really like the blue. 

I'm in the market for a new phone and this one has made my radar.  I have a couple of questions for the gurus.

I'll be using the phone on the Sprint network via Ting.

1)  While comparing this phone to my current phone (Moto X Pure Edition) on the Phone Arena website, I noticed quite a bit of differences in band availability.  Compared to the Moto X Pure, the LG G7 ThinQ is missing bands 1, 3, 8, 12, 17, 25, 26, 38, & 41.  But, it does have some bands the Moto X does not:  20, 28, 46, & 66.  What, if any, performance difference would this make in the two phones?  Here's a link to the Phone Arena comparison:  https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-X-Pure-Edition-2015,LG-G7-ThinQ/phones/9694%2C10779

2)  Never owned an LG phone and heard this one was pretty much pure Android.  How much bloatware is installed and can it be disabled?  Any annoyances to deal with?

Thanks much,

DC

3 minutes ago, DC3 said:

I'm in the market for a new phone and this one has made my radar.  I have a couple of questions for the gurus.

I'll be using the phone on the Sprint network via Ting.

1)  While comparing this phone to my current phone (Moto X Pure Edition) on the Phone Arena website, I noticed quite a bit of differences in band availability.  Compared to the Moto X Pure, the LG G7 ThinQ is missing bands 1, 3, 8, 12, 17, 25, 26, 38, & 41.  But, it does have some bands the Moto X does not:  20, 28, 46, & 66.  What, if any, performance difference would this make in the two phones?  Here's a link to the Phone Arena comparison:  https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-X-Pure-Edition-2015,LG-G7-ThinQ/phones/9694%2C10779

2)  Never owned an LG phone and heard this one was pretty much pure Android.  How much bloatware is installed and can it be disabled?  Any annoyances to deal with?

Thanks much,

DC

1.  According to people on Reddit, the G710ULM unlocked version does support 12, 25, 26 & 41, even though omitted from the LG specs page.  This is the version I purchased.  In blue.

2.  The UI is a lot like Pure Android.  But it still has some bloatware.  As far as disabling, I defer to others.  I won't have mine for another week.

Robert

10 minutes ago, DC3 said:

1)  While comparing this phone to my current phone (Moto X Pure Edition) on the Phone Arena website, I noticed quite a bit of differences in band availability.  Compared to the Moto X Pure, the LG G7 ThinQ is missing bands 1, 3, 8, 12, 17, 25, 26, 38, & 41.  But, it does have some bands the Moto X does not:  20, 28, 46, & 66.  What, if any, performance difference would this make in the two phones?  Here's a link to the Phone Arena comparison: 

Where are you getting the phone from?

They did something very wrong because that is totally incorrect. *If* the phone were missing Bands 25, 26, and 41, it would not work on Sprint at all, and is missing T-Mobile bands as well. Wherever they are getting their information, it is wrong. The LG G7 has most of those bands.

12 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

1.  According to people on Reddit, the G710ULM unlocked version does support 12, 25, 26 & 41, even though omitted from the LG specs page.  This is the version I purchased.  In blue.

2.  The UI is a lot like Pure Android.  But it still has some bloatware.  As far as disabling, I defer to others.  I won't have mine for another week.

Robert

Thanks.  Good to know. Where are you purchasing the phone in Blue?  Could only find Black and Gray the other day on Amazon.

11 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Where are you getting the phone from?

They did something very wrong because that is totally incorrect. *If* the phone were missing Bands 25, 26, and 41, it would not work on Sprint at all, and is missing T-Mobile bands as well. Wherever they are getting their information, it is wrong. The LG G7 has most of those bands.

Thanks.

Not sure where I'm getting the phone at this point.  Not surprised that Phone Arena's info is suspect.  They tend to guess at specs until a phone is announced and then fail to update once the specs are available.  Is there a website that would have definitive specs on these phones?  I couldn't find band info anywhere on LG's site.

So you guys think this phone will perform as well as my Moto X Pure Edition from a cellular connectivity standpoint?  I used to need an Airave at my house but since Sprint improved the network, I no longer do.  But, the basement has a bit of a weak signal which my Moto X holds onto so I'm hoping the next phone is not a step backward.

DC

6 minutes ago, DC3 said:

So you guys think this phone will perform as well as my Moto X Pure Edition from a cellular connectivity standpoint?  I used to need an Airave at my house but since Sprint improved the network, I no longer do.  But, the basement has a bit of a weak signal which my Moto X holds onto so I'm hoping the next phone is not a step backward.

Performance is great for me. I don't have a Moto to compare to, I had the LG G6 previous to this one, and performance has been the same or better. (Better on speeds thanks to 2xCA on B25, 4x4 MIMO, and higher order QAM). 

Found what looks like to be more reliable specs at the Phone Scoop website.  https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?p=5775,4883

LG G7 ThinQ:

LTE  1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 20 / 25 / 26 / 30 / 40 / 41 / 66 / 71
WCDMA  1 / 2 / 4 / 5 / 8
CDMA  800 / 850 / 1900
GSM  850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

Motorola Moto X Pure Edition:

LTE  1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 25 / 26 / 41
WCDMA  1 / 2 / 4 / 5 / 8
CDMA  800 / 850 / 1900
GSM  850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

If these specs are accurate, it looks like I won't be giving up anything and will instead gain a few bands.

DC

• Like 1

One more question:  Will I be able to use the nano SIM from my Moto X Pure or does this LG take a different size SIM?

Edit:  Nevermind.  Should have read the link I posted in the previous post.  That comparison shows both phones take the same size SIM (nano).

DC

Edited by DC3

3 hours ago, DC3 said:

Thanks.  Good to know. Where are you purchasing the phone in Blue?  Could only find Black and Gray the other day on Amazon.

Google. https://store.google.com/about/phones/?LGG7thinq

It was $300 off last weekend.  And you can finance 0% APR OAC.

Just now, Dkoellerwx said:

Dang. That was a good sale. Can you take that to Sprint or does it have to be used on Fi?

To get the $300 credit you have to activate on a Project Fi acct.  Which I already have.  So I will then go and move it over after I activate it on Project Fi.

Thanks for the help.  LG has recently announced a very similar phone (LG G7 One) that will run pure Android without LG's overlay.  I'm going to wait a bit and see how the specs and availability of the new model stack up before making a decision.  I think I'll like a phone better that doesn't have any bloat.

To clarify a previous post, Ting is now telling me that the SIM in my Motorola Moto X is a C5 SIM and the LG G7 ThinQ takes a C7 SIM so I will have to pick up a new SIM if I buy this phone.

Robert - if you get a chance after getting the phone, post up a review.  Would like to hear your thoughts.

DC

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looking at the Best Buy Black Friday ad, it looks like the LG G7 will be available for $7/mo, though details are sparse:

https://www.bfads.net/stores/best-buy/ads/black-friday/page-24

Assuming it applies to upgrades, as my G6 upgrade did last year, does anyone have any feedback on how the G7 compares with the G6?  I know the G7 lacks the rear power button, which is disappointing, but how about other features/design decisions?

- Trip

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2018 at 9:20 AM, Trip said:

Looking at the Best Buy Black Friday ad, it looks like the LG G7 will be available for $7/mo, though details are sparse:

https://www.bfads.net/stores/best-buy/ads/black-friday/page-24

Assuming it applies to upgrades, as my G6 upgrade did last year, does anyone have any feedback on how the G7 compares with the G6?  I know the G7 lacks the rear power button, which is disappointing, but how about other features/design decisions?

- Trip

I just upgraded one of my lines using this deal.  Huge discount!  😮

I have had issues with my main line LG G7 due to auto camera shots in HDR being grainy and low quality; just turned off any HDR.

Also possibly due to being out in the rain, my calling microphone sensor does not work, though my voice goes through if I turn on speaker phone.

The build material seems a bit slippery to me, so I dropped the phone and now the back is cracked.

Yet, I will buy another LG G7 because I am not a fan of the specs on the Galaxy line of phones.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:30 PM, JimBob said:

I just upgraded one of my lines using this deal.  Huge discount!  😮

I have had issues with my main line LG G7 due to auto camera shots in HDR being grainy and low quality; just turned off any HDR.

Also possibly due to being out in the rain, my calling microphone sensor does not work, though my voice goes through if I turn on speaker phone.

The build material seems a bit slippery to me, so I dropped the phone and now the back is cracked.

Yet, I will buy another LG G7 because I am not a fan of the specs on the Galaxy line of phones.

That's too bad that it cracked. I didn't even realize that could happen. Mine's been in a case basically since day one. Haven't had any issues with pictures, all look good to me haha.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

That's too bad that it cracked. I didn't even realize that could happen. Mine's been in a case basically since day one. Haven't had any issues with pictures, all look good to me haha.

Same.

13 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Mine is in a case as well and the back of mine cracked. Out of all the times my phone has dropped not being in the a case and it cracks in a case. Mind blown

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone still using the G7?  I finally broke down and ordered a used one via Ebay for a little over $250 (online store digicircle with over 20k feeback and a 98.9% positive feedback).  Looking forward to experiencing the upgrade over my G5 - though I'm going to really miss the ability to easily change batteries.

Also ended up going with this for the case after perusing many reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Full-body-Holster-Protector-Release/dp/B07CZ97FQ2/

On 3/1/2019 at 10:34 PM, PythonFanPA said:

Anyone still using the G7?  I finally broke down and ordered a used one via Ebay for a little over $250 (online store digicircle with over 20k feeback and a 98.9% positive feedback).  Looking forward to experiencing the upgrade over my G5 - though I'm going to really miss the ability to easily change batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Full-body-Holster-Protector-Release/dp/B07CZ97FQ2/

LG G7 is still my primary phone.  LG G8 looks like a minor update to it; will wait for the next 5G phone.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JimBob said:

LG G7 is still my primary phone.  LG G8 looks like a minor update to it; will wait for the next 5G phone.

Cool, yeah I flirted with the thought of doing the Samsung direct financing for the S10e but at the end of the day I kept coming back to the thought of, I'd rather pay for this fairly quickly than have 2 years of $25ish payments every month, and it gets me much closer to top-line/current phone tech.  Between paying off installment payments of G5's finally and removing TEP/Sprint Protect/whatever they're calling it these days and simply setting aside money into my own savings account instead, my monthly Sprint bill has gone down roughly $100/mo from what it was a year ago.  I'm just not willing to pay the premium of a launch day phone anymore, anymore than I am the premium of a brand new car vs. a low mileage/used one that ultimately does the job I need it to still (in both cases).

I'm tempted though to wait out the Pie update and get that in play before I actually go switching over/activating/carrying over setup...I won't have the phone until at least the 11th per what initial tracking is showing.  But I haven't seen any real rumblings yet about any of the US carriers getting the G7 Pie update yet, just a vague '1st quarter 2019' reference.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, PythonFanPA said:

I got the G7 in late October from ebay for about $315. Great device overall. Was worried about the smallish battery but it lasts a surprisingly long time if you keep screen brightness down and use it moderately. Don't bother waiting for software updates. LG kinda sucks about updating but the G7 is smooth and hasn't been buggy for me. I had the G6 which had a bigger battery but worse battery life so it was a good upgrade for me. I think you'll like it a lot.

2 minutes ago, mideastbeast said:

I got the G7 in late October from ebay for about $315. Great device overall. Was worried about the smallish battery but it lasts a surprisingly long time if you keep screen brightness down and use it moderately. 

Yep, I viewed/read alot of good after-launch commentaries about the battery life being actual very good to excellent in practice on the G7, everywhere from post-launch reviews to XDA posts to Youtube, so I'm not too worried in that department.

Still, it was just ultra-convenient to carry along an extra fully-charged battery - especially as quick-and-easy as the G5 made it to do so with the bottom latched holder for them.  Its not even so much in day-to-day usage as on trips where it matters.  Between work and home I always have an easy way to plug in/top of anyway, but on trips/vacation is where that really mattered.  We do have 2 nice external QC batteries now, but its just easier to carry a thin little battery around than those of course.  The G5 was the last bastion of removable battery phones - the only real main reason I finally decided to upgrade is just to stay more current from a security/patching perspective really.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...