Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

So it's showing band 41. Can the non tri band phones pick up 4glte in these areas? Thanks Santa..

It's actually a false connection at that point. If you look at the PLMN, the 151515 pattern is a null data. 

However, you had to be connected to Band 41 at some point to have the data register there.

And no, single band LTE devices cannot connect to LTE there.

Nope. Gave it a try on Hampden today, not a hint of LTE on a non triband phone

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Nope. Gave it a try on Hampden today, not a hint of LTE on a non triband phone

Thanks Narf! I appreciate your response. Wishing you wonderful gifts under your christmas tree this year! Santa

• Like 1

my house. so we have 4g lte being broadcast by sprint but inaccessible. I understand the switchd problem. it looks to me that a band of 4g lte is on in denver but is unrecognisable to us. merlin any thouts?

Thoughts about what? Band 41 has been online since July. It's not surprising at all that you are seeing it. Hotspots have been able to use it for months.

I fact Robert had a whole thread about his travels to Denver to test out the Band 41 network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Did a little more testing over in Golden this evening.

I get a very solid 4G/LTE signal at Washingon St. and Highway 58. 

Engineering screen seems to indicate LTE is on band 25 so it indeed not a Spark site. 

Here's my next question.   Sprint is imfamous

for being unable to handle calls and data at the same time,

yet I was able to stay on a voice call while simultaneously performing speed

tests on the web.    Also was able to receive a call while connected as shown below

with eHRPD not active. 

Is that just some quirk of band25 that will go away once the network upgrade is complete?

I seem to recall something to that effect mentioned earlier in the thread. 

post-34278-0-06495800-1392370864_thumb.pngpost-34278-0-12318700-1392370865_thumb.pngpost-34278-0-95375800-1392370865_thumb.png

Edited by Daemon42

Engineering screen seems to indicate LTE is on band 25 so it indeed not a Spark site. 

yet I was able to stay on a voice call while simultaneously performing speed

tests on the web.    Also was able to receive a call while connected as shown below

with eHRPD not active. 

Is that just some quirk of band25 that will go away once the network upgrade is complete?

Single band phones are able to do both simultaneously. Tri-band phones use a more efficient way of managing the radio and dramatically increasing battery life at the expense of Voice and Data at the same time. People use phones to make calls less and less every day, so this might seem like a downer. But in the end, less expensive more power efficient devices wins.

On 1X800 this morning in Greeley. Still learning on all of this. Been reading the back catalog of posts since I found this place in November. Still trying to make this click over, have a one year old so the old brain is still trying to work at normal pace. Thanks again for all of the info!

• Like 1

I received 800 for one day here in FOCO now all I get is RTT again?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Your phone prefers 1900. Unless you have a weak 1900 signal, you will not connect to 800.

Maybe I should say the network prefers your phone on 1900 unless it's too burdened or weak.

uploadfromtaptalk1392398474712.jpg so this tower just went 4g and I been by this tower for about ten minutes trying everything to get it to go to lte and nothing. So I'm confused on why this is happening?. Any ideas

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

3G speeds near my house on Leetsdale + Monaco jumped this morning from an average around .1-.2 mbps to .6-.8 mbps.  During the the test it was throttling  near 1mbps.  Noticeable improvement in webpage loading, etc.  

I'll assume this improvement is due to sun spots until further testing is done.

• Like 1

3G speeds near my house on Leetsdale + Monaco jumped this morning from an average around .1-.2 mbps to .6-.8 mbps.  During the the test it was throttling  near 1mbps.  Noticeable improvement in webpage loading, etc.  

I have seen a definite jump in 3G by my house too.  I am regularly at 1.75-2 Mbps down where before I was lucky to be at .4-.5

Single band phones are able to do both simultaneously. Tri-band phones use a more efficient way of managing the radio and dramatically increasing battery life at the expense of Voice and Data at the same time. People use phones to make calls less and less every day, so this might seem like a downer. But in the end, less expensive more power efficient devices wins.

What I posted above was all done from a Tri-band phone. 

• Like 1

Not sure what gave you that idea. WiMax devices (while on WiMax) could do that. Every LTE device until Tri-Band has been able to either do SvDO or SvLTE (minus i devices). You'll be hard pressed to find devices that can do SvDO or SvLTE on other carriers these days as well.

Also was able to receive a call while connected as shown below

with eHRPD not active. 

You weren't connected to eHRPD because your device connects to two bands at a time. In this case, LTE and 1x. No need for eHRPD. And no, it won't be changing, not for your device.

What I posted above was all done from a Tri-band phone.

You posted from a Samsung Galaxy S4. You do not have a Tri-Band device. If you did, it would have the Spark icon at the top, not 4GLTE.

You shouldn't use the word throttled in that post.  Throttled means that it was artificially reduced by the Sprint network intentionally.  Which is not the case.  The reduction in speed tests to a point where the speed stops dropping and seems to settle at a particular spot is more of an issue with how speed tests are conducted.  In the beginning, the speed may seem faster, but as more data comes in the average speed drops to what is more accurate.  

If there were 1,000 packets of data coming from the speed test server to your device for the test, and the first 50 were around 1Mbps, and then the half of the remaining were at 1 Mbps, but the other half were at 500kbps, your speed would finalize at a speed around 750kbps, but in the beginning it would appear as 1Mbps and dropped to around 750kbps.

The 1 Mbps speed was not accurate.  And neither would the 500kbps.  750kbps was the average throughput downlink speed at the time the test was taken.  Because over the length of time you would be doing any real world downloading during that period, the speed that it would really be downloading over a set period of time would be around 750kbps.  Or approximately 100KB every second.

We tend to think of a speed test seeing how fast the car is driving down the highway this very second.  When in reality, that information is not very useful.  It's more like this...If I sent one million cars down the road right now, how many of those million are going to get to the destination in the next few seconds?  And if I repeated that several times over the next minute, what is the average?  Because once you know this, you have pretty good idea how much data you are going to get from the network on average.

And the reason why averages are important, is because networks are very dynamic things.  Things can tie up networks for a brief fraction of a second.  Things can drop off suddenly for a few seconds.  If the speed test only tested for a second, you may falsely believe your connection was running at 40Mbps, or that it was dead and not useable at all.  

If 200 people hit send to call up a webpage at the exact same moment, the airlink would be saturated for a second or two sending the data.  If you did a short speed test at that exact moment, it would come across very slow.  But if it was a minute long speed test, that very momentary drop would be averaged with all the other usage in that time providing a more accurate result.  Use ebbs and flow several times a minute, per hour, and per day.

Robert

• Like 4

Good point, that was very poor choice of words on my part . My apologies.

No problem.  I was pretty sure you didn't mean it as it sounded.  But I took the opportunity to explain something I've wanted to say for awhile.  No harm.   ;)

Robert

• Like 1

You posted from a Samsung Galaxy S4. You do not have a Tri-Band device. If you did, it would have the Spark icon at the top, not 4GLTE.

As in his S4 isn't the Tri-band variant?

Edited by tarnott

Correct. If it was, it would have the Spark icon instead of 4GLTE in the status bar.

Probably the only benefit of the goofy spinning WalMart icon...it helps us to separate the S4 Tribands from the S4 Unibands.  :tu:

Robert

• Like 1

Then Sprint is screwing me over, because they claimed the GS4 I bought

two weeks ago was/is a Spark capable Tri-band device.    That's also how they

had  it listed on sprint.com, then and now.      http://tinyurl.com/mmkuqos

After a 45 minute  chat with 3 different sprint support drones, the best

they can come up with, is that my current phone is Tri-band capable, but there will

be an OTA update to enable Spark, and they're so sorry the

website doesn't mention that anywhere.    We'll see.

Edited by Daemon42