Apple as a MVNO

AppleFanBoy

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/03/apple-considers-mobile-carrier/

This article says its still 5years out but in testing in the US. Most iPhone users are more loyal to the phone than the carrier so this would probably work for Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/03/apple-considers-mobile-carrier/

This article says its still 5years out but in testing in the US. Most iPhone users are more loyal to the phone than the carrier so this would probably work for Apple.

I think it's a great idea. Between that and WiFi, it will be a great network experience. Knowing Apple they have been testing it for a while already.

I think it's a great idea. Between that and WiFi, it will be a great network experience. Knowing Apple they have been testing it for a while already.

Yeah, like Project Fi but better because Apple is doing it. LOL [emoji12]

• Like 4

AT&T and Verizon both will shoot this down with a surface to air missile.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Verizon/AT&T both have MVNOs.  It's all about how much they get paid, will they risk losing customers from their own brand.

Verizon/AT&T both have MVNOs. It's all about how much they get paid, will they risk losing customers from their own brand.

Apple as a MVNO would probably be a bigger threat than any other MVNO out there. Unless they are priced a lot higher than the major carriers. Even then people will still use the service because of the apple name.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

Yeah, like Project Fi but better because Apple is doing it. LOL [emoji12]

No it's a great idea because Apple does a hell of a lot more testing than anybody else. They already own a patent granted earlier this decade. It's not like they just thought about it. Google's MVNo does not include roaming on AT&T or Verizon. If Apple's does not then they will be just as bad as Google's. If they do not offer it on more than one device then the reception will be just as lukewarm. If they do not offer it at a better price or with more data than Google then the reception will be lukewarm.

Edited by bigsnake49

No it's a great idea because Apple does a hell of a lot more testing than anybody else. They already own a patent granted earlier this decade. It's not like they just thought about it. Google's MVNo does not include roaming on AT&T or Verizon. If Apple's does not then they will be just as bad as Google's. If they do not offer it on more than one device then the reception will be just as lukewarm. If they do not offer it at a better price or with more data than Google then the reception will be lukewarm.

First off that was a tongue in cheek comment (hence the emoji). Second, yes to entice non-Apple users they would have to price it right. However Apple has far more "fanboys" than Google so some of us...err them might buy in even at the same price as Google Fi.

This could be kind of cool if its similar to Fi, otherwise its just another MVNO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree. It would have to support multiple networks to be a viable option.

DISCLAIMER: This post is going to be all fantasy, and it's probably not extremely possible for it to be implemented at any point in the future, but it is nice to dream.

It would be awesome if Apple would be able to make an MVNO that functions like Google Fi, but instead of it being on Sprint and T-Mobile only, it would be able to access all four of the national carriers. That way, we would actually have a (practically) truly nationwide network. Apple's current iPhones (assuming they are the only device this would support to begin with) already support all four of the carrier's bands (save for T-Mobile's Band 12, but that will come in the device that is released this year). The only hard thing would be implementing deals with the carriers, but like I said, it would probably be next to impossible to make this a reality. And, it's at least five years out in the future, so who knows what could happen between now and then. Oh well, a boy can dream, can't he?  :rolleyes:

-Anthony 

• Like 1

DISCLAIMER: This post is going to be all fantasy, and it's probably not extremely possible for it to be implemented at any point in the future, but it is nice to dream.

It would be awesome if Apple would be able to make an MVNO that functions like Google Fi, but instead of it being on Sprint and T-Mobile only, it would be able to access all four of the national carriers. That way, we would actually have a (practically) truly nationwide network. Apple's current iPhones (assuming they are the only device this would support to begin with) already support all four of the carrier's bands (save for T-Mobile's Band 12, but that will come in the device that is released this year). The only hard thing would be implementing deals with the carriers, but like I said, it would probably be next to impossible to make this a reality. And, it's at least five years out in the future, so who knows what could happen between now and then. Oh well, a boy can dream, can't he?  :rolleyes:

-Anthony 

Well if we're dreaming I can add to it. This service needs to access US Cellular also which makes it 5 carriers :)

• Like 1

An Apple MVNO basically would embody this mentality:

You could choose to believe in something other than the iPhone, but why would you?

;)

AJ

• Like 6

Maybe iTalk [emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 6

The joke is they already had something named AppleTalk:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleTalk

Besides I think under Tim Cook Apple seems to be going away from the "i" names.

All jokes aside though. Like Anthony stated if apple can get all four or five carriers on board it will be a game changer. Apple will test it more thoroughly than Google did with Project Fi. Apple will push it more and invest more into Apple wireless. With the amount of iphones that apple sells I'm sure a good chunk of those users would consider using the service.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

All jokes aside though. Like Anthony stated if apple can get all four or five carriers on board it will be a game changer. Apple will test it more thoroughly than Google did with Project Fi. Apple will push it more and invest more into Apple wireless. With the amount of iphones that apple sells I'm sure a good chunk of those users would consider using the service.

Sent from my Nexus 6

The more i think about it the less I'm convinced all 4 would be necessary. There would be almost too much overlap. They need at least one of the big 2 and then one or both of the small 2.

Edited by AppleFanBoy

The more i think about it the less I'm convinced all 4 would be necessary. There would be almost too much overlap. They need at least one of the big 2 and then one or both of the small 2.

My guess it'll either be a combination of AT&T and T-Mobile, or Verizon and Sprint.

But that's what you want: overlap. That way, if one network isn't performing well, the device would switch to another that is performing better.

-Anthony

• Like 1