Apple as a MVNO

AppleFanBoy

Say hello to $100 plans with just a couple gigs of internet. :-P

Awesome comment!

I have nothing against Apple and although I've only used Android products, I'm not an Android fan or have any kind of favor for it and any operating system for that matter. I mostly care about device specifications overall, though more to do about the hardware than the software.

Yet, I do think Apple products are quite expensive. If they do eventually have their own MVNO, then I can imagine it would be quite expensive. To compare it to Google Fi's pricing, it very well could cost $30 monthly as the base price in contrast to Google Fi's $20, though I think Apple will offer a bigger coverage deal with the networks they use. I think they will end up having AT&T and T-Mobile, if this happens within the next few years. The reason I mention that, is I suspect AT&T might try again to buyout T-Mobile, if there is a Republican administration replacing the current Democrat administration.

I think the per gb data rate might be more expensive than Google Fi, though at most it'll be in my opinion, is $15 per gb. More likely though it'll be $10 per gb, yet I'm hoping Google Fi will lower its per gb data rate down to $5 per gb, which Apple might get close down to at $7 per gb.

Speaking of 7, might be neat if Apple, when they reveal their IPhone 7, did something with their mvno like, $70 monthly for 7gb included, $7 per additional gb, along with a one year device payment of $70 monthly.

• 1 month later...

Well today they didn't take the leap to MNVO but did start a leasing type program through the Apple Store with upgrades available every year and Apple Care.  Very interesting. You tell them what carrier and they set it up.

It's a smart move, and removes the carrier loyalty and creates only Apple loyalty. Customers will be able to choose what storage size, and what carrier, and use them for a year, and then switch if they feel like.

It's a smart move, and removes the carrier loyalty and creates only Apple loyalty. Customers will be able to choose what storage size, and what carrier, and use them for a year, and then switch if they feel like.

I've had Apple loyalty since the first iPhone. Unfortunately, that meant I left Sprint for AT&T and suffered through AT&T's growing pains as they dealt with the influx of people actually using data. I made the jump back to Sprint the moment they were able to offer an iPhone (4S) and haven't looked back (even as Sprint dealt with the growing pains of the influx of data users).

I have a feeling that Apple will be driving customers to Sprint with this model by the time the iPhone 7 is released. If you compare the speeds, coverage, and reliability of all of the carriers in 2H 2016, I bet you see Sprint at #1 or #2 in most of the top-90 markets (or, put another way, all of the markets that have Apple retail stores).

• Like 2

I've had Apple loyalty since the first iPhone. Unfortunately, that meant I left Sprint for AT&T and suffered through AT&T's growing pains as they dealt with the influx of people actually using data. I made the jump back to Sprint the moment they were able to offer an iPhone (4S) and haven't looked back (even as Sprint dealt with the growing pains of the influx of data users).

I have a feeling that Apple will be driving customers to Sprint with this model by the time the iPhone 7 is released. If you compare the speeds, coverage, and reliability of all of the carriers in 2H 2016, I bet you see Sprint at #1 or #2 in most of the top-90 markets (or, put another way, all of the markets that have Apple retail stores).

Sprint can steal what used to be T-Mobile's urban first strategy and do that. More and more I think that if Sprint could offer sustained e-peen in the busiest areas of large cities that they could start to hit into the others. Small cell deployment has to be massive but if SoftBank can execute on that it will pay dividends.

• Like 1