Sprint Earnings Report for First Fiscal Quarter 2015 scheduled for August 4th

EvanA

The Sprint stock has gotten murdered in the past couple of weeks. Looks like the analysts and shareholders are worried about how Sprint is going to fund the NGN project. Some of the recent articles point out that the NV project was poorly implemented and NGN may not be the saving grace. I am rooting for the underdog and listen to what Claure has to say on August 4th.

The Sprint stock has gotten murdered in the past couple of weeks. Looks like the analysts and shareholders are worried about how Sprint is going to fund the NGN project. Some of the recent articles point out that the NV project was poorly implemented and NGN may not be the saving grace. I am rooting for the underdog and listen to what Claure has to say on August 4th.

A lot of stocks have been murdered over the last few weeks. My company stock lost 15% in the pullback, for instance.

S has been a wild ride the past 12 or so weeks.

• Like 1

Hopefully they announce the 2x CA thing at the earnings call tomorrow so that they can put out an official press release.  Also announcing a ton of new countries added to the International Value Roaming program will be much appreciated.  They are way far behind Tmobile in this area.  Hopefully the numbers won't be too bad in Q2.

• Record low Sprint platform postpaid churn of 1.56 percent, total net additions of 675,000, and for the fifth consecutive quarter, reduced postpaid phone losses to reach phone net additions in May and June.
  • Postpaid net additions of 310,000 compared to net losses of 181,000 in the prior year quarter – an improvement of 491,000 year-over-year.
  • Postpaid phone losses were 12,000, but for the first time in nearly two years Sprint recorded monthly postpaid phone net additions in both May and June. This marked the fifth consecutive quarter of sequential improvement and compared to losses of 620,000 in the prior year quarter. The 608,000 year-over-year improvement was driven by lower churn and a 13 percent increase in gross additions, including a 47 percent increase in gross additions with prime credit quality.
  • Net port positive for the second consecutive quarter.
  • Total net additions of 675,000 compared to net losses of 220,000 in the prior year quarter. The 895,000 year-over-year improvement was mostly driven by fewer postpaid phone customer losses.
  • Prepaid net losses of 366,000 compared to net losses of 542,000 in the prior year quarter. The 176,000 year-over-year improvement was mostly due to fewer customer losses in the Assurance brand.
  • Wholesale net additions of 731,000 compared to 503,000 in the prior year quarter. The year-over-year growth was mostly driven by connected devices.

Very good!!! http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-reports-continued-progress-in-its-turnaround-during-the-first-fiscal-quarter-of-2015.htm

• Like 7

Additionally:

More recently, the company announced the availability of carrier aggregation, which produces more capacity and is expected to double data speeds, addressing a key area for improvement. The company is rolling out two-channel (2x20 MHz) carrier aggregation, a feature of LTE-Advanced that combines bands of spectrum to create wider channels in the 2.5 GHz band, on select sites within various markets across the country. In addition, Sprint is one of the first operators to roll out carrier aggregation with antenna beamforming, which significantly improves customers’ experience at the cell edge. Tests by independent third parties have confirmed the performance improvements of these actions.

Sprint has made significant progress on network performance and has started the next evolution of the network. This will involve significant densification of the network including additional macro cell sites, deployment of tens of thousands of small cells, and further expansion of the 2.5 GHz spectrum across the company’s existing sites.

• Like 5

Densification...

Marcelo...Our network is already good today. Masa is on board. 1000's of new macro sites. Expanding 800Mhz and 2.5Ghz to all existing sites. Deploy 10000's over next several years, will leverage network metrics to determine locations.

• Like 11

Now talking next gen network.

New Macro Sites

Expanding 800Mhz and 2.5ghz LTE to most sites

Using big data to hone in on problems sites.

Working with existing vendors and new ones.

Leveraging Softbank's expertise on small cell deployment.

• Like 6

Financing:

Working with Softbank to create a financing company to handle device leases. Softbank will be minority payments.  Will allow sprint to get full present value cash of device up front instead of piecemeal over lease term.  

• Like 4

Marcelo...Our network is already good today. Masa is on board. 1000's of new macro sites. Expanding 800Mhz and 2.5Ghz to all existing sites.

Now talking next gen network.

New Macro Sites

Expanding 800Mhz and 2.5ghz LTE to most sites

Is it all or most?  Most sounds right.  I'm sure all is impossible, with some protection sites or other variables, but we need to define what most is.  90%?

From Q&A

"Add thousands of new tri-band macro sites"

"Alot of our sites are either 1.9 only, or 800 and 1.9...we are going to upgrade NEARLY ALL of our existing sites to tri-band".

"Using softbanks support, adding 10,000's of micro sites...initial indications in some markets, show we have the capability to be number 1"

"Traditionally speed is one area we are lagging, we have seen speeds 125-135Mbps after carrier aggregation"

• Like 4

Masa: "I am the inventor of installment payments for phones...over 8 years ago."

"Handset cash requirement will be offset by lease financing...softbank will be minority partner in new leasing company"

Masa: "CAPEX is long term investment...we are going to provide solutions together with our equity partner for network equipment financing, small cell foundation"

Masa: "I am much more confident in Sprint...I will support as needed"

Masa: "ALL FOUR CARRIERS in US are grossly over congested...ALL of them. Video bundling is awful with their over congested networks"

• Like 10

Spectrum Portfolio Question!

Marcelo: "The way we look at this, we are building a great network on our existing spectrum we have today. We have not made a decision on 600Mhz...it needs to be worthwhile for us, since it won't be availble to use until 2020. We want to understand the rules first."

• Like 1