Google thinking of abandoning Android??

Hypeo

If it's an April Fools joke, it's a day late. This is just one guy's opinion and trying to stir up debate. Although I do agree that Google needs to take tighter control of Android, but that's my opinion as well, and I'm sure Google isn't listening to either of us.

• Like 1

The only part of this I could see holding any truth is the idea of a better tablet OS, maybe built off Chrome OS. Google has so much in Android right now, I'd think it be a heck of a lot easier just to fix Android than build a new OS, but I think neither will occur.

It sounds like sensationalist speculation to me :)

I agree, he is just trying to make waves and get his name out there.

Android isn't going anywhere, and this "fragmentation problem" he talks about is not really a problem. iOS also has a whole lot of fragmentation, possibly more than Android, but as long as the unit can still provide for the user, it isn't a problem. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to be upgraded to a newer version of Android (some are up in arms about it,) but there are a lot that are happy with whatever version they are on. Froyo was really where I feel Android graduated from a fragmentation issue and any device that is running Froyo or newer is going to provide an excellent user experience. Yes, sometimes things can get buggy with age, but a quick reflash of the firmware can usually take care of that. I have a tablet that until a few months ago was operating Froyo. I didn't really notice much of a difference when I loaded Gingerbread on it. Then there are the developers that build ROMs and provide the newest version of android to old devices.

Also, I think he is ENTIRELY off base thinking the new Google tablet will be called "Google Play tablet" I may be eating crow in a few months, but that name is flat out stupid.

Also, I think he is ENTIRELY off base thinking the new Google tablet will be called "Google Play tablet" I may be eating crow in a few months, but that name is flat out stupid.

Get ready to have "play" shoved down your throat because I think Google is going to try to build that name like Microsoft did with "Live" and Apple did with "i."

Get ready to have "play" shoved down your throat because I think Google is going to try to build that name like Microsoft did with "Live" and Apple did with "i."

IMO if they do that, they will pigeonhole themselves as being aimed at juveniles and lose any credibility of being suitable for business users or adults. They'll open the door wide for WP to take their market share. I can understand bringing all your media offerings into one place like itunes or Amazon, but there is nothing wrong with the Android brand. They have become the #1 OS in a matter of a couple years, why mess with success?

• Like 1

IMO if they do that, they will pigeonhole themselves as being aimed at juveniles and lose any credibility of being suitable for business users or adults. They'll open the door wide for WP to take their market share. I can understand bringing all your media offerings into one place like itunes or Amazon, but there is nothing wrong with the Android brand. They have become the #1 OS in a matter of a couple years, why mess with success?

I think they should stick to Android or Chrome. Chrome is a pretty strong name now and I really thought they were going to build that but now I have Play Music, Play Books, and Play Store on my phone. I hope they make a real marketplace for apps with certified apps so I don't have to read 15 reviews on every app to make sure I'm not downloading a widget that advertises to me every hour. That's the main thing I'd like to see come out of this.

I can't believe I read that entire article, I would have enjoyed it more if it was posted yesterday. That article is a joke at best and lacks any sort of logic or substance.

• Like 2

Android isn't going anywhere, and this "fragmentation problem" he talks about is not really a problem. iOS also has a whole lot of fragmentation, possibly more than Android, but as long as the unit can still provide for the user, it isn't a problem. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to be upgraded to a newer version of Android (some are up in arms about it,) but there are a lot that are happy with whatever version they are on. Froyo was really where I feel Android graduated from a fragmentation issue and any device that is running Froyo or newer is going to provide an excellent user experience. Yes, sometimes things can get buggy with age, but a quick reflash of the firmware can usually take care of that. I have a tablet that until a few months ago was operating Froyo. I didn't really notice much of a difference when I loaded Gingerbread on it. Then there are the developers that build ROMs and provide the newest version of android to old devices.

Question: How is iOS fragmented? And in response to Google Play tablet: They did rename the Android Market to Google Play store, so I guess there is a slight chance they would be flat out stupid a 2nd time in a row.

Question: How is iOS fragmented? And in response to Google Play tablet: They did rename the Android Market to Google Play store, so I guess there is a slight chance they would be flat out stupid a 2nd time in a row.

Most of iOS fragmentation is caused by the users not upgrading.

http://theiphonefever.blogspot.com/2011/11/ios-fragmentation-is-it-worse-than.html

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/09/11/the-state-of-android-fragmentation-lookin-pretty-good-still-much-better-than-ios-fragmentation/

http://theiphonefeve...worse-than.html

http://www.androidpo...-fragmentation/

Expansion on this, My friend, every time he would try to update his iPhone on his PC it would go to the 'plug into iTunes' screen and not work unless he plugged it into my MacBook or my friend's PC. For this reason, he never really updates anymore. Just not worth it.

I can't believe I read that entire article, I would have enjoyed it more if it was posted yesterday. That article is a joke at best and lacks any sort of logic or substance.

I agree as well as agree with pyro's previous co0mmetn.

While in my opinion the article is basically trying to make waves and get his name out there (which isn't a bad thing), I do not think that Google will abandon Android.

On the same token, I feel that renaming the Android Market into Google Play, is stupid. I have yet to see any argument to convince me that its a good move. At a market, I can browse or buy books, apps, games, food, furniture,etc, at Play, I am expected to play with the stuff. I do not see myself playing with apps (unless i am not expected to pay for them) or books, etc.

TS

Why Google hasn't made the move to Google Play clear or given us a decent reason for it is beyond me. But I to hope we hear something at the IO event.

As for this guys weird view on Google and Android... Is he wrong? Maybe but I think there is some truth to be had from this article. He thinks Google will shift focus to tables. I do believe this to be true but not in the same way the writer seems to think. Google is a huge company and can support lot of BIG projects. I see the Chrome beta app and the markets name change as a shift away from Android. Just not as you might think. More of a way to unify all of their products into a bigger Chrome based ecosystem

Here is kinda what I invision happening. Google will build up its tablet line. They need a break through tablet thats not branded by Amazon. I think they will also start making strides with Google TV. They still need to build that market up as well. And last but not least their Chromebook/computers. See I think they are going to try to compete on an eco system level. Their is much more to gain by building up all these products. What is the one thing you hear from every reviewer of an "i" product or of comparison of iOS and Android? They all say something about Apple's eco system. Google knows this and they want to be your one stop shop for everything as well. But they want to take it a step further. (side note I could be easily mistaken as an Apple fanboy but I DO NOT understand the Apple ecosystem. I think Google had already built much more compelling ecosystem. They just don't market it as such)

I Think the second step after building these products up will be to start combining them. Think about it. What does a MacBook air or a Chromebook have that a smart phone doesn't? A keyboard.. Thats about it. Whats to say once quad cores become the norm we don't start using our phones or tablets as computers? Kinda like the Atrix. You have a phone that looks and works as a phone then you dock it and now its running Chrome OS, connect it to your tv it becomes a google tv. and so on.

This seems very far fetched today but one thing you need to remember is Chrome OS is all about having your apps be online. With the internet in so many places and LTE speeds becoming faster then home internet speeds. It's just a mater of time before we start relying on the cloud even more.

Do I think Google will move away from Android? NO! I think Android will evolve and become the backbone to googles "new" ecosystem.

Also I don't see them seeking more control over the OS as the writer implied they needed. If they can provide the backbone and ideas then there is no reason Samsung Sony HTC Logictech LG and so on can't build on this ecosystem. Look at what Amazon has done with the kindle. It's a true Android tablet. IMO one of the best because to truly incorporates what is so great about Android. Android can be anything a manufacturer wants it to be. Or even what the end user wants it to be. Because Android is open you could see it used in more devices. I would love to see an AV receiver powered by it. Why couldn't Onkyo Denon or yamaha use the OS to build a better user experience for their products?

That I can understand. Most people just never think of it. Hence updates in iOS 5 are done directly on the phone instead of computer only.

Expansion on this, My friend, every time he would try to update his iPhone on his PC it would go to the 'plug into iTunes' screen and not work unless he plugged it into my MacBook or my friend's PC. For this reason, he never really updates anymore. Just not worth it.

I have never heard of that happening before. Was that an original iPhone?

That I can understand. Most people just never think of it. Hence updates in iOS 5 are done directly on the phone instead of computer only.

I have never heard of that happening before. Was that an original iPhone?

iPhone 4. What I narrowed down was windows would think that it was a camera and install the wrong drivers. iTunes would not recognize it and he would mistakenly reset the software or something. I never really saw the problem happen, only fixed it once it was messed up. Probably PEBKAC but it had the affect of discouraging updates.

I kinda had that issue but in reverse. That is how I became an Android user. I had bought the 1st iPhone on day one. Once they came out with the 3G I was like, "Wow! I have to have it." That phone was fantastic. I could do just want I wanted. (at the time) I loaded it up with songs from iTunes and I have this IM chat app that I could always run while I was at work so I could still chat with my friends. It was about as much multitasking I could really ask for at the time. But what I liked about it the most is I could have that IM app going while I what streaming podcast from the Itunes music store. To me it didn't get much better.

Then the 3gs came out. I saw it as most 3G owners did as a small upgrade that I could pass on. Then the iPhone 4 came out along with iOS4. Well if anyone doesn't know the 3g did kinda received iOS4 but it wasn't the full version. It couldn't multitask or do a few other things that the 3gs and 4 could do. Also it was very buggy and slowed down my phone. (Kinda what the 3gs owners went through with iOS5 but worse.) I still didn't see the need to upgrade. Sure the CPU was better and the camera but it was still only on 3G and the OS didn't really change. Besides I was still happy with my phone. But one thing iOS4 did do to my 3g phone was block me from streaming podcasts while using my IM app. I had to jailbreak my phone to get it to work but it was very buggy. Something I could do for over 2 years all of a sudden stopped. At this point I said no more. The EVO had just come out and the Epic was on its way. I said F iOS and the two year cycle they put on their phones just so you'll want the next one.

Don't get me wrong, had the iPhone 3gs or 4 been a big break through or really did something different that I would actually use. I would have been more then happy to hand over my money. Siri helps the 4s a little but I know I wouldn't use it.

I now have an evo 4g and I would be very happy using it for a few more years if I wanted to. But when I saw ICS and the Nexus I knew I WANTED to upgrade. Unlike Apple, Google created a product that made me want to buy something new.

/end rant

I kinda had that issue but in reverse. That is how I became an Android user. I had bought the 1st iPhone on day one. Once they came out with the 3G I was like' date=' "Wow! I have to have it." That phone was fantastic. I could do just want I wanted. (at the time) I loaded it up with songs from iTunes and I have this IM chat app that I could always run while I was at work so I could still chat with my friends. It was about as much multitasking I could really ask for at the time. But what I liked about it the most is I could have that IM app going while I what streaming podcast from the Itunes music store. To me it didn't get much better.

Then the 3gs came out. I saw it as most 3G owners did as a small upgrade that I could pass on. Then the iPhone 4 came out along with iOS4. Well if anyone doesn't know the 3g did kinda received iOS4 but it wasn't the full version. It couldn't multitask or do a few other things that the 3gs and 4 could do. Also it was very buggy and slowed down my phone. (Kinda what the 3gs owners went through with iOS5 but worse.) I still didn't see the need to upgrade. Sure the CPU was better and the camera but it was still only on 3G and the OS didn't really change. Besides I was still happy with my phone. But one thing iOS4 did do to my 3g phone was block me from streaming podcasts while using my IM app. I had to jailbreak my phone to get it to work but it was very buggy. Something I could do for over 2 years all of a sudden stopped. At this point I said no more. The EVO had just come out and the Epic was on its way. I said F iOS and the two year cycle they put on their phones just so you'll want the next one.

Don't get me wrong, had the iPhone 3gs or 4 been a big break through or really did something different that I would actually use. I would have been more then happy to hand over my money. Siri helps the 4s a little but I know I wouldn't use it.

I now have an evo 4g and I would be very happy using it for a few more years if I wanted to. But when I saw ICS and the Nexus I knew I WANTED to upgrade. Unlike Apple, Google created a product that made me want to buy something new.

/end rant[/quote']

I have a similar story. I had the iPhone, 3G and 3GS. But I didn't jump to the 4. I moved to Sprint and the EVO on launch day back on June 4, 2010. I don't miss AT&T nor iOS one iota. Android fits my nerdy life style much better.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

I don't think I have ever seen two people say unkind words about iPhones in the same thread in my life. Especially without someone jumping in the middle and gushing all over how they love the iPhone and Apple and would turn into an apple so Steve Jobs' ghost could take a bite out of them and they would be the mascot for Apple....

It really tires me out. There are fanatic Android users, yes, but most Android users openly admit the faults/shortcomings of the OS or their device. iFans, however, 99% of them admit nothing and as far as any shortcoming is concerned, if it isn't on iPhone, it's not important.

And I apologize to any iFans here, but I call it as I see it. We may have the entire 1% of iFans that admit when something is not perfect.

I don't think I have ever seen two people say unkind words about iPhones in the same thread in my life. Especially without someone jumping in the middle and gushing all over how they love the iPhone and Apple and would turn into an apple so Steve Jobs' ghost could take a bite out of them and they would be the mascot for Apple....

It really tires me out. There are fanatic Android users, yes, but most Android users openly admit the faults/shortcomings of the OS or their device. iFans, however, 99% of them admit nothing and as far as any shortcoming is concerned, if it isn't on iPhone, it's not important.

And I apologize to any iFans here, but I call it as I see it. We may have the entire 1% of iFans that admit when something is not perfect.

And I admit that iOS has had flaws, and that's why I gave Android a shot. But the one thing that I love on my iPhone that lacks in Android is the on screen keyboard for those times when a physical keyboard is inconvenient. The biggest problem with the iPhone, IMO, is the carrier locks that are instituted.

I have an on screen keyboard

The shift doesn't have the option to use an on screen keyboard? The wife's moment had that capability, I can't imagine why HTC wouldn't include that with the shift...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I have an on screen keyboard

The shift doesn't have the option to use an on screen keyboard? The wife's moment had that capability, I can't imagine why HTC wouldn't include that with the shift...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It does, but the keyboard is laggy for response.

Have you tried using a different keyboard. Sometimes it is the actual keyboard program that causes the lag.

That may be. An no, I haven't tried another one. And I don't really like Swype. A pain for me to use.