Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Yeah but in most cases this is with traditional macro set ups. Small cells will solve these worries; Verizon is attempting to purchase XO Comm to get their fiber optic network (plus some 5G spectrum). The difference is with how fast these 3 move, and the cash they have on hand, they can afford to throw up a new small cell network at a rate exponentially faster than Sprint.

If 2xCA+ optimization is any indication of how Sprint deployments will take place. It's going to be a fun ride. If you pay attention to multiple markets in the premier threads you will see a ton of action from small cell to mini macros etc..

Plus third carrier is moving along at a nice steady pace.

• Like 1

Just seems they are always a step ahead planning and executing.

They see their grip on lte getting looser so they say f-it lets jump to 5g.. Start the engines.

Sprint is stuck getting permits for lte vzw is being sneaky setting up for 5g. Sprint will finally get their permits then a few months later vzw gets permits for 5g!!

What are you talking about? 5G doesn't even exist yet. When carriers talk about 5G currently, they're talking about high-band spectrum and small cell solutions to densify coverage.

All things that nearly every major carrier is currently doing!

• Like 3

If 2xCA+ optimization is any indication of how Sprint deployments will take place. It's going to be a fun ride. If you pay attention to multiple markets in the premier threads you will see a ton of action from small cell to mini macros etc..

Plus third carrier is moving along at a nice steady pace.

I live in NYC and find myself on congested band 25, 26 very frequently. While CA on B41 and beamforming helped a lot, the current macro infrastructure in place is counter productive to their network. They gotta start running with permits and small cells if they wanna really turn things around this year.

I live in Staten Island, New York, and there's one cell site that is still 3G only. Not even band 25. No LTE at all. And it's a populated spot with schools and a small shopping plaza. Located ACROSS THE STREET from the other 3 carriers, all with LTE. Been like that for YEARS. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm assuming you're referring to the one on Amboy Rd.? All the surrounding sites are upgraded with CA and such, have a feeling there is something wrong with access to the building. Other carriers are on it as well.

• Like 2

I live in NYC and find myself on congested band 25, 26 very frequently. While CA on B41 and beamforming helped a lot, the current macro infrastructure in place is counter productive to their network. They gotta start running with permits and small cells if they wanna really turn things around this year.

I travel all over NYC, Bx/bk/MN/Queens. I just don't see B25/26 all that often at all.

Speak for Staten Island. They have the worst site spacing of any borough. In the case of Brooklyn or Manhattan, I hardly ever fid myself on Band 25 or Band 26 in the first place, as it should be. I'm not arguing that densification shouldn't take place, because it definitely should and we'd all benefit from it. But, Sprint has already stated since last year that they've been permitting for thousands of small cells in NYC.

For all we know, some could be deployed and we just haven't found them yet.

• Like 2

I find myself actually enjoying B25 now that so much traffic is offloaded to B41, especially inbuilding. It's not meant to stream 4K but those 2-3mbps speeds are perfect for Facebook and such.

• Like 3

Churn has been on a downward trend for the last 3-4 quarters, so I wouldn't call it temporary. Also, your area isn't indicative of the entire country as a whole. Other markets are adding customers by the busloads. 

All Sprint can do is continue to densify, continue to build out their urban networks, get them performing at 100%, and then focus on expansion. Forget all the stupid XXX million pops and other crap.

You are correct my area isn't the tell all. yes you are correct using "bus loads" because the numbers aren't much more than that. It's still positive but not anywhere near convincing. I guess we will see next year when many of the leases are up. The next 12 months will be very important for sprint.

Remember sprint used test scores to advertise. With the others doing so well how long before its used against sprint?

I'm assuming you're referring to the one on Amboy Rd.? All the surrounding sites are upgraded with CA and such, have a feeling there is something wrong with access to the building. Other carriers are on it as well.

Amboy Rd and Richmond Avenue yes. However Sprint is the only one on it - everyone else is on the building literally 20 feet away. And not true - the Amboy Rd & Gifford's Lane site still lacks band 41.

I love how Sprint has said almost nothing with regard to their current deployment of small cells yet everyone seems to have an opinion on how their deployment is going.

They've already been spotted in the wild and we know that they're going up in numerous large cities already. So why is it that the same two people are posting back and forth about SoftBank wanting to sell despite the numerous signs that say "Nope, we're doing better than ever before and we're going to take the fight to T-Mobile."

Who is Sprint going to sell to? Not T-Mobile!

1. They don't have the cash to do so.

2. Deutsche Telekom is likely not looking to expand their presence in the U.S. market by that much.

Small cells pop up numerous in large cities? Really? Even on this site we don't have a special topic on spotting small cells. 99 percent of the times pictures show small cells but they belong to Verizon. If they are numerous like you said we would already have a separate topic for it.

Amboy Rd and Richmond Avenue yes. However Sprint is the only one on it - everyone else is on the building literally 20 feet away. And not true - the Amboy Rd & Gifford's Lane site still lacks band 41.

I think people have to stop generalizing based on one or two experiences, my brother unfortunately still on Tmobile here on our block, and he has horrible data service (B12 .3mb and B4 fails) but that is not indicative of NYC as a whole. So even though I make fun of him all the time(plus he has access to wifi). He is generally ok around other locations he visits. So it's fine.

What are you talking about? 5G doesn't even exist yet. When carriers talk about 5G currently, they're talking about high-band spectrum and small cell solutions to densify coverage.

http://m.androidcentral.com/verizon-plans-field-test-its-5g-network-2016-50-times-throughput-4g-lte

Remember this?

How true who knows but no standard they don't care whatever they say will be the standard.

WiMAX was around before lte I believe and look how that hurt sprint

I think people have to stop generalizing based on one or two experiences, my brother unfortunately still on Tmobile here on our block, and he has horrible data service (B12 .3mb and B4 fails) but that is not indicative of NYC as a whole. So even though I make fun of him all the time(plus he has access to wifi). He is generally ok around other locations he visits. So it's fine.

Everyday I commute in and out of Manhattan, and I travel around often so I experience the service in a lot of places. There are good places and there are okay places and there are bad places and some places are merely not excusable. Do I accept this? Yes because I like Sprint and I know they have the potential to be the best, it's in the spectrum. But they gotta focus on hitting upgrades faster. One of the reasons T-Mobile was so attractive to switchers in 2014 was because of the rate of acceleration from UMTS to LTE, it was unlike anything we ever seen before. Sprint has a lot of fiber and microwave in a lot of places so most things are upgraded and solid. But why in 2016 are they decreasing capex when there are still plenty of macros without LTE or band 41? They can't just brush that off!

• Like 2

Small cells pop up numerous in large cities? Really? Even on this site we don't have a special topic on spotting small cells. 99 percent of the times pictures show small cells but they belong to Verizon. If they are numerous like you said we would already have a separate topic for it.

Um... You obviously haven't visited the equipment spotting subforum.

Also the fact small cells haven't been seen by the people here doesn't mean they don't exist. "We" do know they exist and where they do or will be. These Thousands of new 90XS (pico cell) or XB/D (DAS nodes) cascade designations we now know of mean something.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Edited by lilotimz
  • Like 8

http://m.androidcentral.com/verizon-plans-field-test-its-5g-network-2016-50-times-throughput-4g-lte

Remember this?

How true who knows but no standard they don't care whatever they say will be the standard.

WiMAX was around before lte I believe and look how that hurt sprint

So how is Verizon working on a non-existent 5G standard beneficial for them. If they're adopting early, they're also likely to take the fall much like Sprint did with WiMax. 

I have no idea what you're trying to argue here.

• Like 3

There are towers that are inhabited by birds on the endangered species list or protected for some reason or another and you are legally unable to do work if the birds or nests are present. I work at a telecommunications company and we had such a thing happen a couple years back where we had to delay work on the tower for a few months until the birds migrated off the tower and we were granted permission to work again.

I wonder if this still is a problem for the towns of Bodega and Bodega Bay.

I love how Sprint has said almost nothing with regard to their current deployment of small cells yet everyone seems to have an opinion on how their deployment is going.

They've already been spotted in the wild and we know that they're going up in numerous large cities already. So why is it that the same two people are posting back and forth about SoftBank wanting to sell despite the numerous signs that say "Nope, we're doing better than ever before and we're going to take the fight to T-Mobile."

2. Deutsche Telekom is likely not looking to expand their presence in the U.S. market by that much.

Cable or dish.... In any case lake of info spawns speculation.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Um... You obviously haven't visited the equipment spotting subforum.

Also the fact small cells haven't been seen by the people here doesn't mean they don't exist. "We" do know they exist and where they do or will be. These Thousands of new 90XS/B (pico cell) or XD (DAS nodes) cascade designations we now know of mean something.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Does the sponsor forum contain info about these small cells you were referring to? Thanx

Does the sponsor forum contain info about these small cells you were referring to? Thanx

No one has such information other than staff and trusted long time members.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Everyday I commute in and out of Manhattan, and I travel around often so I experience the service in a lot of places. There are good places and there are okay places and there are bad places and some places are merely not excusable. Do I accept this? Yes because I like Sprint and I know they have the potential to be the best, it's in the spectrum. But they gotta focus on hitting upgrades faster. One of the reasons T-Mobile was so attractive to switchers in 2014 was because of the rate of acceleration from UMTS to LTE, it was unlike anything we ever seen before. Sprint has a lot of fiber and microwave in a lot of places so most things are upgraded and solid. But why in 2016 are they decreasing capex when there are still plenty of macros without LTE or band 41? They can't just brush that off!

If you can figure out how to handle the debt load in a market that is slowing down and access to capital is decreasing while increasing CAPEX, well by all means send your resume and cover letter to SoftBank!  Not to sound harsh, but Sprint has been downgraded several times over the past few years. This makes it much harder for them to get funding for additional projects. They have already pulled the magical bunny from the hat multiple times by setting up these leasing agreements. Sometimes you have to make cuts to stabilize before you can move forward. Sprint CANNOT burn more cash and then have the market collapse again. You have already seen how volatile the markets are this year.

• Like 1

If this is their plan to get to cash flow positive Softbank is looking to sell.

You also need positive cash flow to start paying down the $34 billion in debt. :D

And no sane company will buy Sprint with all that baggage, especially if it is still bleeding cash.

• Like 1

Maybe Masa can convince the Carlson family to take some of his share in S... That may be the first step to the one merger that makes sense to me.

You also need positive cash flow to start paying down the $34 billion in debt. :D

And no sane company will buy Sprint with all that baggage, especially if it is still bleeding cash.

That is my point. If you are looking at sprint as a long term asset you need the network investment. If you are looking to sell, you need to improve the balance sheet.

XB designates an ODAS headend for XD nodes.

Thanks.

All these XY / XC / XR / XW / XM / XD / XS designations gets jumbled up when you're distracted.

• Like 1