Sprint B41 vs Clear B41

I have noticed that most Sprint B41 cells are max. out around 30-38MB down while Clear builds are much faster at around 50-60MB down. Has anybody seen the same issue and why could there be the difference in speed?

• Like 3

Backhaul not optimized is the only thing I can think of. Give it time, and it'll be set up properly.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Here in Houston, when I'm on b41 my upload speeds are usually around 1mbps, where as my downloads are usually around 20-40mbps .  It almost seems like the upload speeds are similar to the old wimax cap of 1.5mbps. The fastest upload I've seen is around 3mbps, and that was a great signal where I was getting  around 55mbps downloads speeds.

Here in Houston, when I'm on b41 my upload speeds are usually around 1mbps, where as my downloads are usually around 20-40mbps .  It almost seems like the upload speeds are similar to the old wimax cap of 1.5mbps. The fastest upload I've seen is around 3mbps, and that was a great signal where I was getting  around 55mbps downloads speeds.

That's odd, most places I've found, including my home market of Cleveland, generally have had a ratio of about 3:1, so I've managed to test down up to 32MBPS and upload was around 10. Those measurements were done within a 1/4 mile of the tower line of sight on b25. I think It's entirely possible that channel congestion could be a factor too, especially if you're in a densely populated area. I only have ever acheived those b25 speeds in rural areas. Urban areas are typically half that or less. Despite b41 being more roomey (20MHz channels last I heard on this forum), I think congestion could still bog things down if enough users are connected to the same site.

I have had over 15Mbps upload on B41. If you find a site where the downloads are normal (over 30Mbps) but the upload is really low (like less than 5Mbps), then I think it points to site router/backhaul problem. Or possibly a problem with your device if it seems to happen everywhere you go.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

No, the Clearwire sites are faster is what he is saying I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Correct, and for what ever reason Clear build sites produce twice the speed. I have been on B41 sites build by Clear in SoCal and NoCal and speeds hoover around 50-60MB down and 10MB up while Sprint's NV2.0 B41 sites seems to be capped at around 35-38MB down and 8MB up. This was direct next to the tower. So since it is possible to run both Wimax and LTE on the same spectrum (since they have a lot to play with) I'm surprised to see the differences in speed.

In addition, I had dinner at the good old Queen Mary yesterday and they have a Clearwire site on the ship facing the harber. Not converted yet to LTE but a real odd location.

Correct, and for what ever reason Clear build sites produce twice the speed. I have been on B41 sites build by Clear in SoCal and NoCal and speeds hoover around 50-60MB down and 10MB up while Sprint's NV2.0 B41 sites seems to be capped at around 35-38MB down and 8MB up. This was direct next to the tower. So since it is possible to run both Wimax and LTE on the same spectrum (since they have a lot to play with) I'm surprised to see the differences in speed.

In addition, I had dinner at the good old Queen Mary yesterday and they have a Clearwire site on the ship facing the harber. Not converted yet to LTE but a real odd location.

In these instances, it most likely is a configuration issue on the new sites. They'll get that worked out.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

on B41 Upload speed in my experience with my One MAX are HIGHLY dependent on signal strength, even more so than download, with a bad signal where I can still pull download 10-15mbps where my upload may not break 1mbps, where on the same tower if i get closer to the tower and get near full bar, i can get 40+mbps down and 10+mbps upload

• Like 1

How do you guys know you are on a Sprint B41 site v/s a Clearwire B41 site? I understand that the PLMN would be different, but are Sprint B41 sites even turned on in Alcatel-Lucent areas like New York?

Edited by CaptainSlow

How do you guys know you are on a Sprint B41 site v/s a Clearwire B41 site? I understand that the PLMN would be different, but are Sprint B41 sites even turned on in Alcatel-Lucent areas like New York?

We have Clearwire site lists and track this distinction in the sponsor sections.  If you value the info here at S4GRU, please consider becoming a sponsor at some level.  All contributions just help keep the S4GRU lights on.

AJ

Thanks, I will consider becoming a sponsor. I guess I'm surprised because my understanding so far was that the B41 Alcatel-Lucent equipment was still being tested and not deployed commercially, at least in New York.

Permitting for NYC began at least 2 months ago and I believe we have spotted a few sites. Sprint's Band 41 deployment, especially in NYC has taken off recently with many sites going live at once throughout the city.

• Like 1

Look at your LTE engineering screen and you see the PLMN ID which was for the B25/B41 I found always 310 120 (Las Vegas).

Now 310 120 is also being used in my home market of Los Angeles for B25 which was build by Sprint. Los Angeles is on of these markets that had Clearwire's Wimax network running and Clearwire converted their site (not all of them) to B41 and their PLMN ID is 310 490,

You can also see this in the current version of SignalCheckPro (Android App) which will ID the Clearwire LTE sites as Sprint B41. The app can't do this yet for Sprint's B41 sites.

Look at your LTE engineering screen and you see the PLMN ID which was for the B25/B41 I found always 310 120 (Las Vegas).

Now 310 120 is also being used in my home market of Los Angeles for B25 which was build by Sprint. Los Angeles is on of these markets that had Clearwire's Wimax network running and Clearwire converted their site (not all of them) to B41 and their PLMN ID is 310 490,

You can also see this in the current version of SignalCheckPro (Android App) which will ID the Clearwire LTE sites as Sprint B41. The app can't do this yet for Sprint's B41 sites.

310 120 is Sprint's PLMN. It should be on both Band 25 and 26 everywhere. Clear Band 41 should 310 490 most of the time, but they have a couple different ones in a few places. 

Signal Check uses the PLMN to determine if you are on Band 41 since previously only Clear sites were broadcasting, the the GCI to determine Band 25 vs 26.. However, if Sprint Band 41 will be using the Sprint PLMN, then we may have to determine a different way to figure it out. Devices do not allow Signal Check to read the Band info from the engineering screen, and most devices don't allow access to the UP/DL channels either.

I would think that too, but when I can get download speeds over 40mbps I doubt that congestion/capacity is the issue.

I think you underestimate the power of Instagram, Vine, Facebook, etc. for hogging upload bandwidth.

Just kidding, but not. It's a horrible trend.

• Like 1

Thanks, I know how to distinguish between Clearwire and Sprint B41, was just surprised that Sprint B41 was on already in NY.

I think you underestimate the power of Instagram, Vine, Facebook, etc. for hogging upload bandwidth.

Just kidding, but not. It's a horrible trend.

Apparently, a lot of self focused people online feel the same way...

AJ

• Like 1