Using Sprint for beta test (as carrier) - SIM related

jonathanm1978

I applied to take part in a beta that wants me to use my phone's SIM in the beta for the duration of it. They also specifically asked which SIM I had, down to a diagram showing different types. Would I be able to use my G2 SIM in a beta phone or would it work properly?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I applied to take part in a beta that wants me to use my phone's SIM in the beta for the duration of it. They also specifically asked which SIM I had, down to a diagram showing different types. Would I be able to use my G2 SIM in a beta phone or would it work properly?

Well if Im correct the phone will not get any signal because it isn't activated on the sprint network. You would have to get the phone activated on sprints network. By giving the meid and Sim card number for LTE access.

Please correct me if I am wrong but you want to beta test a non sprint device using the sprint sim from your G2?  If this is what you are getting at then it won't work at all.

I can't answer whether it's a Sprint device or not, I don't even know the manufacturer of the phone. It's possibly a Sprint device that's coming to market and being tested, but it's just as possible that it's a T-Mobile or Trac fone. They won't give that info unless I'm accepted, and even then I can't say what device if I do get accepted, because of the NDA they have me agree to.

• Like 1

The beta test should explain which wireless carrier sim card you will need, otherwise we cannot answer if some random sim card would work with some random phone on a random network.  The only answer is a definite maybe.

• Like 1

I can't answer whether it's a Sprint device or not, I don't even know the manufacturer of the phone. It's possibly a Sprint device that's coming to market and being tested, but it's just as possible that it's a T-Mobile or Trac fone. They won't give that info unless I'm accepted, and even then I can't say what device if I do get accepted, because of the NDA they have me agree to.

Thats fine but at least the basics have been answered for you.  If its a sprint specific phone then I don't see any issues but if its for a gsm carrier then obviously it won't work.

Even if this is a "white listed" Sprint device -- and that is doubtful -- there is no current benefit to swapping SIMs among Sprint devices.  You still must activate online or over the phone.  And if anything, swapping SIMs can lead to complications.  So, for any new Sprint device, get a new SIM dedicated to that device.  Plain and simple.

I thought all of this had been well covered in other threads, but I guess not...

AJ

Even if this is a "white listed" Sprint device -- and that is doubtful -- there is no current benefit to swapping SIMs among Sprint devices.  You still must activate online or over the phone.  And if anything, swapping SIMs can lead to complications.  So, for any new Sprint device, get a new SIM dedicated to that device.  Plain and simple.

I thought all of this had been well covered in other threads, but I guess not...

AJ

The beta guidelines specifically state that I need to be willing to use my SIM from my current phone in the beta phone. I usually don't get accepted in these phone betas, this is the second one I've applied for that ask to use my current SIM in the beta device.

I think they usually are GSM devices, like TracFone and the like. I've even seen a couple of T-Mobile beta tests on there. Usually it says "you must be a <Carrier> post-paid customer to be considered for this test" ....but the last two haven't stated ANY carrier at all. Just that you must agree to use your SIM, and they want to know how much data you use per month, and that you agree to use the beta phone for the duration of the test.

Where do you sign up for these phone betas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I beta tested a smartphone earlier this year by signing up here:  http://www.betabound.com/   Every once in a while they announce smartphones or other gadgets, but I got bored pretty quick on my first beta test and never signed up for any more.

I've gotten over $500 worth of stuff in the last year from beta testing. The stuff I can talk about -- because the test is over and I'm not under the NDA's anymore -- is a Roku box (streaming netflix, hulu, etc), a AV500 powerline adapter w/gigabit, a wifi powerline adapter that doubles as a wifi extender, a wifi range extender that works better than my Ubiquiti Nano Loco M2, and most recently, an AC1750 DSL Modem/Wireless router combo. For doing the tests, the devices were mine to keep and use as I want (or sell). I just keep them all..that last test, the AC1750 router/modem is a $130 value by itself (or more). Since its also the latest in wifi with the AC standard, I'm using it until it blows up.

I've gotten over $500 worth of stuff in the last year from beta testing. The stuff I can talk about -- because the test is over and I'm not under the NDA's anymore -- is a Roku box (streaming netflix, hulu, etc), a AV500 powerline adapter w/gigabit, a wifi powerline adapter that doubles as a wifi extender, a wifi range extender that works better than my Ubiquiti Nano Loco M2, and most recently, an AC1750 DSL Modem/Wireless router combo. For doing the tests, the devices were mine to keep and use as I want (or sell). I just keep them all..that last test, the AC1750 router/modem is a $130 value by itself (or more). Since its also the latest in wifi with the AC standard, I'm using it until it blows up.

Same url?

Same url?

Different ones. You can start with betabound (which used to be centercode). They'll offer you others if they become available to join, like belkin's. Belkin bought the Linksys router division I do believe, so betabound may start offering more stuff through them.

A Loco M2 isn't an extender. It's a directional wifi AP and antenna in one. I really doubt a wifi extender can shoot a mile down the road with 2 RF chains reliably like the Loco can.

I've never been able to get more than about 200 ft in a straight LoS with it. I tried asking for help to set it up so that covered where we grilled to no avail. I just winged it and it functioned about as good as the buffalo router.

The Sprint SIM is used for LTE authentication only. The data on the SIM is assigned onto your account. The SIM card does not affect Sprint CDMA, your CDMA service is authenticated by your MEID. It is possible to operate a Sprint phone without the SIM, you will only receive CDMA authentication and service.

Inserting the SIM of another carrier will allow you access to the GSM network if you are on foreign soil and Sprint has enabled your SIM port for international GSM mode. I've never tried another Sprint SIM in a Sprint phone to see what happens. I would assume a non-provisioned SIM would not allow access to LTE while a provisioned SIM would allow LTE access. Say you and a buddy swapped Sprint SIM cards, you would still have LTE access albeit through your buddy's account authentication. There's no foreseeable operational difference.

By deduction, it would seem as long as the phone had a MEID that could be activated on Sprint to authenticate CDMA services and as long as said phone had the radios for Sprint LTE bands that using your SIM would be possible. I'm not exactly sure you could activate a second Sprint SIM without adding an additional line to the account.

I've played a lot with swapping SIM cards on a G2. Currently with some tweaking I am able to used another domestic carrier's SIM card and obtain voice/data service from said local domestic carrier. I say that to qualify my statements.