Best mobile option for short Mexico trip?

mikejeep

I will be traveling to San Miguel de Allende Mexico for a wedding at the end of the month, and don't want to be completely off the grid. It would be handy to be able to look up touristy things and stay in touch with other guests. A few voice minutes and some light data/SMS will be all I'm using.

I have a Nexus 5, so I do have options. Should I grab a prepaid SIM of some sort to use while I'm down there, or just go with one of Sprint's offerings? Just didn't want to miss an obvious solution that might be out there, I've always shut my phone off outside the US.

Thanks,

-Mike

I will be traveling to San Miguel de Allende Mexico for a wedding at the end of the month, and don't want to be completely off the grid. It would be handy to be able to look up touristy things and stay in touch with other guests. A few voice minutes and some light data/SMS will be all I'm using.

I have a Nexus 5, so I do have options. Should I grab a prepaid SIM of some sort to use while I'm down there, or just go with one of Sprint's offerings? Just didn't want to miss an obvious solution that might be out there, I've always shut my phone off outside the US.

Thanks,

-Mike

I don't know of the provider, but I heard they have phones shaped like tacos

oldngage.jpg

• Like 2

Depending on how much you are looking to use your device. I just ate the cost put the Mexico plan on and paid the roaming fees. I believe for a week I spent around $150.00 for my usage but that was back in 2010. Not sure of the rates these days. I hate wasting time, when I was looking it felt like I was chasing the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Any which way I love Mexico we will be back there this October so let me know if you find a solution.

If you can get your hands on an iOS device, you could always just use iMessage and FaceTime audio to contact your friends and family(assuming they have iOS devices... and when you have wifi of course). Not a solution, but definitely an option.

No need. Google Hangouts handles it the same way now.

I was unaware. So google hangouts is googles equivalent of iMessage and FaceTime audio/whatever. Very cool.

Yep still a work in progress, but pretty good. But let's not detract from the OP.

Thanks,

-Mike

You could take advantage of T-Mobile's prepaid plans (using your N5 of course) and use their free international roaming.  I think you get unlimited text and edge data, with a certain allotment of minutes.  Would probably be good enough for a short trip and very cheap too.

Otherwise I'd probably pick up a local SIM card, but that is just my preference. 

Edit: I checked up on it for you.  With their Simple Choice Plan you get unlimited texts and data.  Calls are $0.20/minute, which isn't bad for international roaming.  You can pick up the plan for $40 for one month.

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

• Like 2

You will not need your own mobile service while in Mexico.  The cartel that kidnaps you will let you use one of its phones when you need to call your family to pay the ransom.

AJ

• Like 8

Tmobile's prepaid plans don't include the free international roaming. This is the Q&A, fourth down on that page:

How much will global coverage cost?

Nothing – it is included in your rate plan monthly charge for all Simple Choice customers (excluding no credit plans).

The simple choice plan does but only if you apply for it using a credit check. For just a quick trip I wouldn't want to take a hit to my credit score just to save a few dollars. So for me I would look for a cheap prepaid sim instead once you get there.

Edited by COZisBack
Fixed URL
  • Like 1

Tmobile's prepaid plans don't include the free international roaming. This is the Q&A, fourth down on that page:

How much will global coverage cost?

Nothing – it is included in your rate plan monthly charge for all Simple Choice customers (excluding no credit plans).

The simple choice plan does but only if you apply for it using a credit check. For just a quick trip I wouldn't want to take a hit to my credit score just to save a few dollars. So for me I would look for a cheap prepaid sim instead once you get there.

http://explore.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-no-credit

Looks like you don't need a credit check for family plans right now.  I guess if you are getting two lines, it might work.

Edited by COZisBack
Fixed quoted URL

The page you listed doesn't even mention the international roaming. I just set up my in-laws with a new Simple Choice plan for their three week trip to Europe next month so I know what I'm talking about. The only way to get the included international roaming is to have T-Mobile run your credit and then sign up for Simple Choice. The no credit check and prepaid accounts don't have this add-on. They may include free international texting from the US to other countries but not the free data which is what Mike really wants.

You will not need your own mobile service while in Mexico.  The cartel that kidnaps you will let you use one of its phones when you need to call your family to pay the ransom.

AJ

:roflmao:

The page you listed doesn't even mention the international roaming. I just set up my in-laws with a new Simple Choice plan for their three week trip to Europe next month so I know what I'm talking about. The only way to get the included international roaming is to have T-Mobile run your credit and then sign up for Simple Choice. The no credit check and prepaid accounts don't have this add-on. They may include free international texting from the US to other countries but not the free data which is what Mike really wants.

Good catch, that's pretty confusing.

Like our Simple Choice options, Simple Choice No Credit options offer unlimited talk, text, and web while on our network, however certain features like JUMP!™ and international roaming are not available.

Good catch, that's pretty confusing.

Like our Simple Choice options, Simple Choice No Credit options offer unlimited talk, text, and web while on our network, however certain features like JUMP!™ and international roaming are not available.

Yeah I was going to say that, but it was already caught. Only their postpaid plans include the international roaming. I specifically put my dad on a postpaid instead of prepaid plan for this reason.

Take the word "mobile" out of the title and the best option for short Mexico trip is -- do not go.

AJ

Take the word "mobile" out of the title and the best option for short Mexico trip is -- do not go.

AJ

I'm going a lot to Mexico and I never had any issues down there. Crime happens in all areas, even in your local backyard and they call Chicago not for no reason Chiraq

• Like 2

I'm going a lot to Mexico and I never had any issues down there. Crime happens in all areas, even in your local backyard and they call Chicago not for no reason Chiraq

Hah and even in "Chiraq" your as safe as anywhere in most neighborhoods and suburbs... Anyone can paint a bad picture about anywhere/anything... (And most of its gang related which we don't really count but the media does)

I was in Mexico 5 years ago at the height of all those kidnapping scares and I was nowhere near any of that action that people paint such an awful picture with.

Also to keep it on topic, when we were there as a whole family my mother did have to make a phone call from Mexico once, it cost 75 cents. att's roaming per minute charge for Mexico was 75 cents at the time. I didn't remember to bring my phone with on that trip... (And I never missed it) I couldn't imagine doing that now.

• Like 1

Telcel in Mexico has a prepaid program called Amigo card. You can buy a sim card at most telcel dealers, and the top-up cards for minutes and data at almost any grocery store or pharmacy. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't mess with these American providers and their add-on plans and such. Just bring your empty n5. There will surely be some kind of shop at the airport there selling sims, or maybe at the hotel. Thousands of American tourists are looking for SIM cards there everyday, and you can almost be positive they'll be readily available everywhere.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1

Wow I didn't expect so many responses, thanks guys! It looks like Telcel is the way to go, or throw on the Int'l Data Pack add-on from Sprint for the week for a simpler option. It's more of a convenience thing than a necessity, so I might take Vince's suggestion and just bring the N5 and see what's available when we get down there.

-Mike

Wow I didn't expect so many responses, thanks guys! It looks like Telcel is the way to go, or throw on the Int'l Data Pack add-on from Sprint for the week for a simpler option. It's more of a convenience thing than a necessity, so I might take Vince's suggestion and just bring the N5 and see what's available when we get down there.

-Mike

It's a bit of a hassle, but Telcel Amigo is definitely the way to go. There are shops that sell SIMs and top-up cards on every corner, but I strongly recommend searching for a corporate store ahead of time because I've found they're the only ones that can activate an account for a non-Mexican resident. Plus, most of the corporate stores will at least have one or two agents that can speak (broken) English whereas it's hit or miss anywhere else. Also, be sure to bring your passport with you as you will be required to show it when you activate the account. It's been a while since I was down there, but the last time I set up my account you could get a one week data package for roughly $12 that would give you 1GB of data, and unlimited calling / texting to up to 5 Mexican cell phones of your choice (your ¡Amigos!....hence the name of their pre-paid brand). I think calling an American line was like $.25 per minute and texting was like $.10. Once you get the SIM activated you can find top up cards virtually anywhere and just call it in but if you've got web access, you can also setup an account online and use a CC to auto-top up you account should you need any extra minutes. If you ever plan on going back, you can top up your line with the minimum amount every 6 months and you're balance will remain and the account will stay active - I think the minim top-up is less than $1, but it's just as hassle to remember to do it. I inadvertently let mine lapse and now can't get back online.

• Like 3

This thread smacks of first world problems in a third world country.

;)

AJ

• Like 4