AT&T/Direct....maybe Softbank/Dish???

floorguy

Dish was making a push to get the Clear assets....

Do you think the 2 could come to an agreement, if no merger, if this Direct thing goes through??

it was Talked about a while ago, with a link I posted about the Tmobile merger

If this happened doesn't dish own spectrum adjacent to the G block PCS spectrum Sprint owns? And thn couldnt Sprint turn around and deploy out 15x15 LTE?

The only way I could see that happening is if Charlie was selling out completely. Then maybe it could be feasible.

Charlie does not sell out. He sells others down the river.

AJ

• Like 4

Pardon my ignorance, but why does dish network own wireless spectrum? What is it used for?

I believe they were trying set up their own LTE network to compliment their satellite TV services.

Considering all the spectrum Charlie has hoarded? Dish brings spectrum and unstable revenue from a legacy technology. Why would we want Sprint to have to wage a spectrum screen review for that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If this happened doesn't dish own spectrum adjacent to the G block PCS spectrum Sprint owns? And thn couldnt Sprint turn around and deploy out 15x15 LTE?

More like 30x10. They will have to do a few gyrations before that like switch down and downlink of the 20x20Mhz slice they own in the 2000-2020 and 2180-2200MHz band. Even without merging they could swap the 2000-2020MHz downlink+PCS Block H for some EBS spectrum fromSprint

I also expect Dish to be active in the AWS-3 auction grabbing the 1755-1780MHz uplink to pair with orphaned 2180-2020MHz downlink.

Considering all the spectrum Charlie has hoarded? Dish brings spectrum and unstable revenue from a legacy technology. Why would we want Sprint to have to wage a spectrum screen review for that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If Dish brings unstable revenue from a legacy technology, why do you think AT&T is paying $49B for DirectTV? How will non-legacy technologies handle 4K streams? Heck, Sprint does not allow more than 1Mb stream. Now granted if you can devote all of BRS/EBS you can handle many 4K streams, but that's where you need Dish since they can get the licensing from the content owners. So a Sprint/Dish joint venture would be a great thing. I think Sprint/Softbank might need to act soon because I see a Verizon/Dish tie-up otherwise. Dish will not stand alone.

If Dish brings unstable revenue from a legacy technology, why do you think AT&T is paying $49B for DirectTV? How will non-legacy technologies handle 4K streams? Heck, Sprint does not allow more than 1Mb stream. Now granted if you can devote all of BRS/EBS you can handle many 4K streams, but that's where you need Dish since they can get the licensing from the content owners. So a Sprint/Dish joint venture would be a great thing. I think Sprint/Softbank might need to act soon because I see a Verizon/Dish tie-up otherwise. Dish will not stand alone.

Sure, if Son's vision for success is to become a content provider and to retain the NV expansion projection to provide that content, Dish is a great buy.   A Dish buy also squanders the 40% chance of approval of a Tmo marriage.   Ergen probably thinks he's worth 100 B

I don't want Softbank to buy Dish. I want them in a JV and I want a spectrum swap.

Charlie in charge.... Don't forget that.. No way he is selling to Softbank.. Charlie doesn't want to go anywhwere.. Spectrum swap I can see.. Charlie is waiting for Tmo/Softbank to get killed then he will go after Tmo for less.

Is att/DirecTV mean lower rates by bundle?

Or nfl ticket mobile exclusive to att?

Charlie in charge....

Yes, Charles in charge...

I vote for Scott Baio as the new CEO.

AJ

More like 30x10. They will have to do a few gyrations before that like switch down and downlink of the 20x20Mhz slice they own in the 2000-2020 and 2180-2200MHz band. Even without merging they could swap the 2000-2020MHz downlink+PCS Block H for some EBS spectrum fromSprint

I also expect Dish to be active in the AWS-3 auction grabbing the 1755-1780MHz uplink to pair with orphaned 2180-2020MHz downlink.

Dish wants to use their spectrum to do OTT video, VOD, basically to appeal to cord cutters. He wants to cannibalize his own network before somebody else does.

I don't want Softbank to buy Dish. I want them in a JV and I want a spectrum swap.

First, if softbank were to buy Dish before the 600Mhz spectrum auction, it would defiantly put sprint in a position that they could have too much spectrum and all the work lobbying to get ATT/VZW to be limited might bite themselves.  Also it would financially limit them because they would have spent a lot of money on Dish, and not have as much (if any) to spend on the "better quality" spectrum.  

As for your idea of spectrum swaps, I am not against it, but if sprint really wanted it they would have bid on the PCS H Block.  Also do not forget that they would have to launch new phones that were able to use these new bands, since they are outside the normal PCS bandset (as well as waiting to have 3GPP approve the new bands).  And there is no guarantee that their current equipment can handle the frequencies, so it seems like it would be a lot of work to gain a contiguous band that no one supports and would cost time and money to integrate.  They would also have to take their existing 5x5Mhz band off-air to do your puropsed 10x30Mhz or 20x20Mhz band plan...  this would require sprint to deploy another 5x5 Mhz PCS band first as there are many of the first LTE phones that only suported up to a 5x5 carrier in the PCS band.  

Again, not completely against it, just it has so many more problems than solutions.  Giving up some of their TDD-LTE which will eventually be their differentiating advantage from other carriers, for a lot of work to make this spectrum work and dealing with Charlie who will not agree to a deal unless he gets the better end of it. 

If sprint is going to spend time and money, they should focus on the 600Mhz spectrum and maybe get antenna panels and RRU's that can support 600/700/1700/2100 frequencies so that they would be ready for any other industry consolidation in the future. (as well as hosting abilities) 

And one other comment about Dish cannibalizing their own satellite network to stream everything over LTE, everyone is forgetting the advantage of satellite business... it works even in very rural areas and many times is one of the only options for customers that are outside of a cable providers physical reach.  High band spectrum is not very good for rural areas, but perfectly suited for urban areas, where they would be able to better compete with the cable companies and offer bundled services with similar capabilities.  

Just like CDMA 1X-Advanced will stick around even after VoLTE because it is reliable and still the best suited for pure voice coverage, the satellite service will still be there for basic service and for those outside of the reach of Dish's eventual LTE network.   Also, the fixed costs are already sunk for satellites that are in use, so Dish could continue to provide the service at a discount compared to the new bundled service and still make money with it.  

First, if softbank were to buy Dish before the 600Mhz spectrum auction, it would defiantly put sprint in a position that they could have too much spectrum and all the work lobbying to get ATT/VZW to be limited might bite themselves.  Also it would financially limit them because they would have spent a lot of money on Dish, and not have as much (if any) to spend on the "better quality" spectrum.  

As for your idea of spectrum swaps, I am not against it, but if sprint really wanted it they would have bid on the PCS H Block.  Also do not forget that they would have to launch new phones that were able to use these new bands, since they are outside the normal PCS bandset (as well as waiting to have 3GPP approve the new bands).  And there is no guarantee that their current equipment can handle the frequencies, so it seems like it would be a lot of work to gain a contiguous band that no one supports and would cost time and money to integrate.  They would also have to take their existing 5x5Mhz band off-air to do your puropsed 10x30Mhz or 20x20Mhz band plan...  this would require sprint to deploy another 5x5 Mhz PCS band first as there are many of the first LTE phones that only suported up to a 5x5 carrier in the PCS band.  

Again, not completely against it, just it has so many more problems than solutions.  Giving up some of their TDD-LTE which will eventually be their differentiating advantage from other carriers, for a lot of work to make this spectrum work and dealing with Charlie who will not agree to a deal unless he gets the better end of it. 

If sprint is going to spend time and money, they should focus on the 600Mhz spectrum and maybe get antenna panels and RRU's that can support 600/700/1700/2100 frequencies so that they would be ready for any other industry consolidation in the future. (as well as hosting abilities) 

If I remember it only would have an effect on mergers not spectrum auction. The rules on the 600mhz auction were limiting the amount of Low band spectrum. The higher up spectrum didn't have an effect. A deal with Tmobile might have a negative effect on the 600MHz auction. But nothing was said about a deal with dish, and rewriting the rules

And one other comment about Dish cannibalizing their own satellite network to stream everything over LTE, everyone is forgetting the advantage of satellite business... it works even in very rural areas and many times is one of the only options for customers that are outside of a cable providers physical reach.  High band spectrum is not very good for rural areas, but perfectly suited for urban areas, where they would be able to better compete with the cable companies and offer bundled services with similar capabilities.  

Just like CDMA 1X-Advanced will stick around even after VoLTE because it is reliable and still the best suited for pure voice coverage, the satellite service will still be there for basic service and for those outside of the reach of Dish's eventual LTE network.   Also, the fixed costs are already sunk for satellites that are in use, so Dish could continue to provide the service at a discount compared to the new bundled service and still make money with it.  

Never said that the spectrum swap was going to be usable overnight. But band 25 can be extended if Sprint so wanted. Let me say it again. Sprint will not be able to use all of the 160MHz of band 41 for mobile broadband. No way no how. They can use about 60MHz , which is basically BRS. The rest goes to a joint venture with Dish. Sprint extends their PCS spectrum holdings and they get way down on the spectrum screen. They also get to host Dish/EBS spectrum helping to ease the cost of LTE deployment. They create another broadband competitor which gives them a few brownie points. I do believe that Sprint and T-Mobile should wait until after the 600Mhz auction to merge.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

Verizon has come out to say they are not interested in Dish

They have $130B debt from the Vodafone share purchase alone. They can't afford to take another $50B+ of debt. Dish's future is with either Sprint or T-Mobile.

The thought of any mobile spectrum being used for 4K video makes my head hurt.

Now that we have that out of the way, let me state that with the future disabling of MPEG-2 streams on Dish and DirecTV, both providers will have room to go 4K with satellite bandwidth that is existing. It's going to be a long transition but it's entirely possible. Needless to say, satellite has a clear path to 4K. There's no reason to rush with no real 4K content out there yet either. This is going to be a 10 year transition.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...