Top 5% being throttled starting 6/1

I agree, in that the 40+ down I see with my current carrier is useful at all. I do enjoy a consistent user experience in that when playing a podcast or music while driving that it keeps playing. Whereas every few miles, previously it would pause or switch to roam and never switch back unless I toggled airplane mode. Per sprint my town is complete and 3g service is upgraded on the rest of my commute.

In areas where my current carrier dropped the ball on lte it's only going to offer evdo - I was upset after finding that out, but zero streaming issues so I couldn't care less. In fact in places where I experienced working sprint evdo updates, sprint rocked and was amazing. Better than the horrid unstable lte they provide where I use it the most.

If sprint can actually achieve its goals in my area I'd come back to them in a heartbeat. As I really like Sprint and what SB has the potential to do. But currently I need my $160 to be working for me to pay it. That said I'd go tmo, if they light up their lte towers in my area as currently they are only on 2g.

Hopefully this post isn't taken out of context.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you dont have sprint anymore why are you posting about it at all? Not only does this entire concept effect very few, it will not always effect them anyway.

This is like going to the ATM everyday to take 20 bucks out and sometimes you get 2 10's instead of 1 20, and being pissed off about it.

You still get the same thing in the end and nothing you legitimately use is effected. This concept isn't designed to make magic LTE fairies run fiber to all the sites you personally use and make it the best network in the world overnight.

Sent from my HTC M8

If you dont have sprint anymore why are you posting about it at all? Not only does this entire concept effect very few, it will not always effect them anyway.

This is like going to the ATM everyday to take 20 bucks out and sometimes you get 2 10's instead of 1 20, and being pissed off about it.

You still get the same thing in the end and nothing you legitimately use is effected. This concept isn't designed to make magic LTE fairies run fiber to all the sites you personally use and make it the best network in the world overnight.

Sent from my HTC M8

- I'm posting still as I tried to convey that I still like Sprint in total.

- I also never bashed this new throttling endeavor. If anything I think they need to be more aggressive on this. My example is on the world famous Autobahn, has no limits to speed. But if you are driving like an ass you'll get pulled over. Same should be expected on Sprint's network...

Cheers.

• Like 2

No I understand the concept and agree. But the points that are being here make it seem that this new policy will allow the 95% to see improved data connections to what Sprint advertises? I don't see it.

In all seriousness, sprint needs to copy tmo, in offering "simple" data caps while including a higher priced unlimited plan. I mean framly plans do already but not very well known. This I think would lower people's bills if it fits yet still leaves the door open to unlimited for those that need it.

I agree with this. If sprint offered a non-unlimited plan similar to Tmobile, they wouldn't have to resort to slowing data to non-abusers (sorry but 5gb per month is far from a data abuser). Having a non-unlimited plan where you have data overages is not a good option. It makes consumers worry every moment if they should use their data. Slowing overages significantly and offering the ability to upgrade to restore your speeds is good for consumers and many people would consider switching to those non-unlimited options and stop abusing unlimited.

• Like 2

I feel like Sprint could also go the One Up route with their plans. T-Mobile offers the Simple Starter Plan which is $40 a month with "Unlimited Data" and 500MB of high speed data. I think that Sprint could do the same thing but offer 1GB of high speed data.

• Like 2

Yep. Exactly my point. If you are a legit phone data user, this doesn't effect you, even in the top 5% You wont even notice the throttle.

Unless someone can tell me what legitimate use item will be impacted, I am excited Sprint is doing it.

Has the throttle system already started in your market so you know what the speeds will be?  It would seem that without seeing the system in place and what limits will be in place at the time, saying users wont notice is a bit presumptuous

What sort of legitimate use do you want to hear, . that you wont simply dismiss as not being actually legitimate in your personal opinion?  let me take a stab at it...

"they are downloading large files, then transferring those files to laptops"...I download a large file now and then but i DO NOT transfer to my laptop at all, I use it directly on the handset.  That passes the sniff test at that point.  I also download this file at about 20 MBits depending on where I am in town.  With the throttle, if I am kicked down to X MBits instead, wouldnt I notice?

"they are using video streaming as a replacement for cable"...I may catch a show on the Showtime mobile App now and then buuut I have cable at home with showtime so it isnt a replacement by any means.  if the throttle causes only standard definition to play versus HD, will I notice the throttle then?

In the end, I think the new system is fair.  IF it only happens on sites with high usage at the time since you would be running slower anyways.  My worry is that this is simply a stepping stone to the next level.  I wish they would prioritize the throttle for prepaid users first and then the third party seller users and then finally the post paid, contract users as needed.

So, if forced to watch a show on your phone in SD occasionally, you are going to have such a terrible experience you would leave sprint? I dont find it likely that is the straw that broke the camels back.

Now, further more, if you are not in that 5 percent, and the lessening of load means you can get SD instead of nothing, wouldn't you be very, very happy? The average person notices 2 states. Data works. Data doesn't. If this plan makes more data work vs Data doesn't work, it's done it's job.

And no, I dont call HD vs SD on a 5 inch screen legitimate. But no stream at all, that would be bs and I wouldn't support it.

So if the throttle is so slow you cant stream at all, I'll be the first to say it's garbage. I doubt that will be the case, unless it's because the sector is extremely overloaded to begin with.

Sent from my HTC M8

• Like 4

Also what massive files are you downloading on your phone and using on your phone? I've seen some extremely large PowerPoint presentations come in around 50mb, but then after 30 pages I say F this and boot my pc, moving it to my laptop. As AJ pointed out.

Sent from my HTC M8

• Like 1

So, if forced to watch a show on your phone in SD occasionally, you are going to have such a terrible experience you would leave sprint?

No, but that is not the concern that you raised in your previous post.  You said:

"You wont even notice the throttle"

and that is what was being addressed, not will the throttle system make you leave sprint.

I know myself, and many others would WOULD notice if SD content was being served instead of HD content.  With that said, I suppose that would mean I notice the throttling system at play.

I guess my parents and the umpteen others who insist on watching the SD channels on the TV when there is HD available wouldnt care either way..but I digress.

• Like 1

Has the throttle system already started in your market so you know what the speeds will be? It would seem that without seeing the system in place and what limits will be in place at the time, saying users wont notice is a bit presumptuous

What sort of legitimate use do you want to hear, . that you wont simply dismiss as not being actually legitimate in your personal opinion? let me take a stab at it...

"they are downloading large files, then transferring those files to laptops"...I download a large file now and then but i DO NOT transfer to my laptop at all, I use it directly on the handset. That passes the sniff test at that point. I also download this file at about 20 MBits depending on where I am in town. With the throttle, if I am kicked down to X MBits instead, wouldnt I notice?

"they are using video streaming as a replacement for cable"...I may catch a show on the Showtime mobile App now and then buuut I have cable at home with showtime so it isnt a replacement by any means. if the throttle causes only standard definition to play versus HD, will I notice the throttle then?

Why would you use a showtime mobile app as a occasional replacement for cable unless you're on wifi?

This is proof too many people will slow down cellular systems for selfish reasons. This is EXACTLY why verizon and ATT capped their data plans - users who streamed video. Try occasionally "replacing" cable with your cellular option over Verizon or ATT and see how many hundreds of $'s you need to spend watching a couple hours of video. A 60 min HD video is according to Verizons data calculator exactly 2 Gigs!! .. That one video is 100% of your capped low end plan on verizon which cost more then a single person unlimited sprint plan.. You think naw.. I wouldnt watch even 2 hours of video?

5 hours of standard video ( youtube) is 3 Gigs... Divide 30 days by 5 hours.. Thats 6 mins of video per day.. Watching a clip.. News.. Music vid.. Again this is why Att and verizon had to cap plans..

What some would call normal use is in fact more then you think. I watch netflix in bed with headphones on wifi.. But to use it on cellular really isn't good. If you wouldnt do it on verizon i guess too many are willing on sprint. Then they wonder why the throttle has to be put in place..

Laptop files are much bigger then anything on a smart device. Most people wont download a large file to use on a smart device and later work on it on the laptop because most of those systems are not compatible. If you could make it more realistic by disclosing what large file you might be downloading to work on perhaps that would help. The majority of people dont work on a smart device because of the lack of business applications compatible with work pc/laptop..

This is the reason all carriers including sprint cap data on hotspot. Sprint knows if they did unlimited data on hotspot it would be a disaster for those using a cellular device to provide internet to a laptop. Smart device world wide web pages are much much smaller in data size then their identically addressed laptop/pc counter part world wide web addresses..

In short anyone who consistently uses cellular to transfer large files for a laptop has to say the least an inefficient way of doing business whether it be personal or otherwise. Doing it now and then wouldn't throttle you..

Its not preposterous to conclude that if Sprint throttles one site only temporarily ( because its rush hour business) and that site is overloaded that a network computer would divide resources.. Possibly giving less data to someone sending text- as they dont need it. ( the speed )..but still slowing data of users using alot more bandwidth. This instead of 4 guys getting 20 Mb down while everyone else only trying to send text and check something on a BIng search get non useable speeds. Maybe for a short time everyone gets only 2 Mb down.

Also keep in mind throttling will be worse now ( in a month ) then when Sprint opens up the flood gates and has loads of 2500 LTE with more bandwidth available ( in the future)... Much more bandwidth to use then Verizon or Att. Until 2500 happens everywhere they only have 1900 in most places and for what spectrum Sprint has in 1900 - it will slow down much faster under people trying to use it as a "cheap" cable replacment

• Like 1

Why would you use a showtime mobile app as a replacement for cable unless you're on wifi? This is proof too many people will slow down cellular systems for selfish reasons. replacment

Reread what he said. He didn't say he was using it as a replacement, he said occasionally as he has cable at home.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Reread what he said. He didn't say he was using it as a replacement, he said occasionally as he has cable at home.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I updated my post to show data amounts.. But i did read he said "occasionally".. But we are talking showtime.. This is for wifi... Re read my post.. What would you have to pay for video on Verizon

Why would you use a showtime mobile app as a replacement for cable unless you're on wifi?

Im not using the Showtime MOBILE app as a replacement for cable, I use the MOBILE app to compliment my cable subscription when I am MOBILE. In fact, you can not use the MOBILE app unless you pay for a cable and showtime subscription at home.  if I was in my home I wouldnt need the MOBILE app, I would turn on a TV and watch Showtime.  it is just when I am MOBILE I need to use an app designed for someone who is.....MOBILE.  Where I go during the day I do not have WiFi access.

EDIT-- Before you get to worried, I use 5-8 GBs a month.

"What would you have to pay for video on Verizon"

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?  But, ive never bothered to figure it out because i have never had reason to.  Why would i?  I have Sprint.

• Like 3

So there is one particular use case where latency throttling will be noticed, no matter what: streaming. Your streaming will break. You'll have buffering and lag like nobody's business on video streams, and in some (very rare) circumstances, picture and sound will desynchronize. With audio streams, you'll buffer more often. If you're streaming a Flash-based presentation or a PDF data object, you'll have major corruption issues, because if the packets don't come in fast enough, an EOF byte is injected by the client in the middle (ironically to prevent zombie connections that cause dead capacity in networks), causing the file to corrupt. This is why T-Mobile tries really hard not to invoke latency throttling, or why others have a stable throttle (like AT&T with Aio/Cricket).

Latency throttling (which is what Sprint calls "network prioritization") is the kiss of death for any type of streaming. That's why I really hope Sprint has some form of load rebalancing algorithm in place that kicks in before it tries to do this. If it goes straight to the throttling mechanism, there could be serious repercussions. I've been checking, and I've yet to turn up any information that proves that Sprint has load rebalancing supported for this circumstance.

• Like 2

Im not using the Showtime MOBILE app as a replacement for cable, I use the MOBILE app to compliment my cable subscription when I am MOBILE. In fact, you can not use the MOBILE app unless you pay for a cable and showtime subscription at home.  if I was in my home I wouldnt need the MOBILE app, I would turn on a TV and watch Showtime.  it is just when I am MOBILE I need to use an app designed for someone who is.....MOBILE.  Where I go during the day I do not have WiFi access.

EDIT-- Before you get to worried, I use 5-8 GBs a month.

"What would you have to pay for video on Verizon"

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?  But, ive never bothered to figure it out because i have never had reason to.  Why would i?  I have Sprint.

Yeah i have the HBO app along with others and yes they require a subscription.. And most of those "mobile apps" as you say recommend wi-fi use. Even "small" app updates recommend wi-fi and some larger "mobile" programs for "mobile" devices won't even download over cellular.. So trying to convince me by using the word mobile isn't working.

Just because Netflix, Showtime, HBO and a host of others make mobile apps to compliment what they sell doesnt mean it works in harmony with real world conditions over networks not ripe for demand. Video is the most demanding service on bandwidth and again this is why Unlimited data went away with Verizon and ATT - because too many people were asking too much and slowing down the networks..

Perhaps if you're traveling in a car tower to tower with family thats not so bad since youre not loading down one site for extended periods.. Otherwise wifi is almost everywhere. Even some cities provide it. As well as most any hotel..

We can debate this, but even Verizon said 6 months ago that purely unlimited data simply was not sustainable.. No matter what you thnk this is why throttling is here and likely to stay .. How much it affects us.. We'll have to see

Like you will on the overloaded system anyway.

But I had said video chat. Things that stream can typically be done on slower higher r latency connections. You just get worse quality.

I am on a tower right now that I never get above 200kpbs and 300ms latency 3g service, but I can stream almost anything, just not in HD, and it might buffer a few seconds from time to time.

Not too big a gripe honestly. But there are plenty of times I can even do a simple webmail refresh in my browser. If a throttle on some of the large data consumers allows me to always refresh that page, thats great for me and Sprint, because I don't want to throw my phone against the wall.

Sent from my HTC M8

• Like 1

Yeah i have the HBO app along with others and yes they require a subscription.. And most of those "mobile apps" as you say recommend wi-fi use. Even "small" app updates recommend wi-fi and some larger "mobile" programs for "mobile" devices won't even download over cellular.. So trying to convince me by using the word mobile isn't working.

Just because Netflix, Showtime, HBO and a host of others make mobile apps to compliment what they sell doesnt mean it works in harmony with real world conditions over networks not ripe for demand. Video is the most demanding service on bandwidth and again this is why Unlimited data went away with Verizon and ATT - because too many people were asking too much and slowing down the networks..

Perhaps if you're traveling in a car tower to tower with family thats not so bad since youre not loading down one site for extended periods.. Otherwise wifi is almost everywhere. Even some cities provide it. As well as most any hotel..

We can debate this, but even Verizon said 6 months ago that purely unlimited data simply was not sustainable.. No matter what you thnk this is why throttling is here and likely to stay .. How much it affects us.. We'll have to see

I'll refrain from answering or responding....

So there is one particular use case where latency throttling will be noticed, no matter what: streaming. Your streaming will break. You'll have buffering and lag like nobody's business on video streams, and in some (very rare) circumstances, picture and sound will desynchronize. With audio streams, you'll buffer more often. If you're streaming a Flash-based presentation or a PDF data object, you'll have major corruption issues, because if the packets don't come in fast enough, an EOF byte is injected by the client in the middle (ironically to prevent zombie connections that cause dead capacity in networks), causing the file to corrupt. This is why T-Mobile tries really hard not to invoke latency throttling, or why others have a stable throttle (like AT&T with Aio/Cricket).

Latency throttling (which is what Sprint calls "network prioritization") is the kiss of death for any type of streaming. That's why I really hope Sprint has some form of load rebalancing algorithm in place that kicks in before it tries to do this. If it goes straight to the throttling mechanism, there could be serious repercussions. I've been checking, and I've yet to turn up any information that proves that Sprint has load rebalancing supported for this circumstance.

Not sure about the others but Netflix auto detects network speed and auto adjust quality.. Ive streamed on netflix with a connection of just over 1mb down when i was moving a had no cable and i dont know If it can alot lower but if everyone was cut to 300 kbs it would probably work

I'll refrain from answering or responding....

Im not angry or offended if we dont see eye to eye but some things are going to change whether we agree or not. If i felt i had to have dependable video streaming right now ( on the road on cellular ) id go to verizon ( because sprint wont be done for another year ) but for me a mobile device is first a communication device. Talk, text, social apps which use little spectrum. Second to that its a device of convience. I personally dont watch much video over cellular and if I did my car is one of the few places i might need cellular only video. Wifi is at wendy, mc d's and almost any public place or work. We live in a world where tv's are everywhere and unless you live in south korea where they have the fastest cellular networks in the world.. Most of the world is still using 2g and 3g.. Most mobile apps use allitle to no spectrum.. Even music is no where near video..
  • Like 1

Im not angry or offended if we dont see eye to eye but some things are going to change whether we agree or not. If i felt i had to have dependable video streaming right now id go to verizon but for me a mobile device is first a communication device. Talk, text, social apps which use little spectrum. Second to that its a device of convience. I personally dont watch much video over cellular because my car is one of the few places i might need cellular only video. We live in a world where tv's are everywhere and unless you live in south korea where they have the fastest cellular networks in the world.. Most of the world is still using 2g and 3g.. Most mobile app use allitle to no spectrum.. Even music is no where near video..

I suspect your view points and logic, don't really differ from mine. Maybe a few points don't line up but the bigger pictures match.

It's possible I'm wrong though.

Not sure about the others but Netflix auto detects network speed and auto adjust quality.. Ive streamed on netflix with a connection of just over 1mb down when i was moving a had no cable and i dont know If it can alot lower but if everyone was cut to 300 kbs it would probably work

Unfortunately, Netflix's adaptive bitrate mechanism is designed for throughput throttling, not latency throttling. There's not a lot of things you can do to prevent the disruption that latency throttling causes.

I do most of my work from my phone because I am usually not near my home or office while working. With music streaming and all of the web surfing I do plus occasional downloads I can push 10-15GB. Does that qualify as top 5%? I know several people on verizon who pay for 10GB plans and use every bit of it so I know I am not alone.

• Like 1

I do most of my work from my phone because I am usually not near my home or office while working. With music streaming and all of the web surfing I do plus occasional downloads I can push 10-15GB. Does that qualify as top 5%? I know several people on verizon who pay for 10GB plans and use every bit of it so I know I am not alone.

Id say the top 5% are well beyond 25 Gb's.. The reason being there are several cities that had 2500 for nearly a year.. Like NY.. In areas like this user have had access to much more bandwidth then most of us.. I watched a 40 minute standard quality video that was around 500 mb.. There are people out there that actually use their smart device over cellular as tv's

Verizon's ceo called the subscribers with 20 gb plans the power users..

The problem is that all of the major choices are bad in some way.  Pick your poison:

VZW = anti competitive, anti Net Neutrality

AT&T = same story as VZW

Sprint = slow in more ways than one

T-Mobile = poor overall network coverage

If you care about the future of our nation's wired and wireless broadband infrastructure, then you do not give money to VZ/VZW and AT&T.  You starve them with your wallet.  But, then, your choices are Sprint's slow dysfunction or T-Mobile's spotty coverage islands.  That is not what I would call consumer choice.

AJ

I wish I could like this post a thousand times!  We just have to hold out for Sprint to continue to improve.

• Like 1