Top 5% being throttled starting 6/1

There is no way it is anywhere close to that high.

With all of the cheaper android and I phones sold, I'd say average data usage is closer to 175-250 MB range...

I mean I think I'm a power user and I use about 6-8 GB. And I assume many many more people are even less than 100 MB

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

...android and I...

Is that an Arthur C. Clarke story?  No, maybe it was Phillip K. Dick.

AJ

• Like 1

Source? Not being confrontational but there are way to many people claiming to use in excess of 20 gb a month for this to be impossible.

Source? Not being confrontational but there are way to many people claiming to use in excess of 20 gb a month for this to be impossible.

The number of people using <2GB is far higher than the number of people using >20GB. The ones using more than 20GB are the most vocal.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The number of people using <2MB is far higher than the number of people using >20MB. The ones using more than 20MB are the most vocal.

David, this is 2014, not 2002. You might want to replace that "MB" with "GB."

AJ

• Like 1

Hmph. You know I meant mb. We use atmospheric pressure to transmit data now. Duh.

Got weather on the brain this time of year? Feeling some "pressure"?

AJ

• Like 4

I usually use less than 4GB per month. This month was different as I purposely used as much data as possible. I downloaded a few seasons of a TV show for some traveling I was doing. I used my phone to watch them and I did so legally purchasing them. I was at least respectful and downloaded all of it in the middle if the night, where it had the least effect on the other Sprint users. I could only still use 15-16 GB. So next month I'm back to normal usage, but most of my usage is YouTube at work while on lunches and breaks. And of course news videos, and weather updates. Here is the screenshot of this months data.(please no comments about data abuse, you can see after the 15gb mark between Friday and today, I used maybe a GB as I use WiFi at home and at work if it works.) Basically my point is Some people who do download files for use on their phones do so in the middle of the night. When it has less of an impact. And if you need to do it when it won't impact as many people, and you won't feel the impact of throttling

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77c3yzgs6xf7hyu/Screenshot_2014-05-06-14-16-14.png

They will throttle people like this data abuser...

Sad thing is that is my average usage between 3 people on a constant 12/1 connection.

The number of people using <2GB is far higher than the number of people using >20GB. The ones using more than 20GB are the most vocal.

Sent from my Nexus 5

If i recall the post was dealing with the top 5% being greater than 25 gb a month.

There are enough people posting 15 & 20 Gb use on all carriers to say there are much heavier users out there. Posted from android police below:

~~~~~~~~~

Matt

5 days ago

I don't think it's possible to use 5GB of data in a month on Sprint. That would require coverage and speeds that their network isn't equipped to handle.

28 Reply

Gordon

5 days ago

Shall I post a screen shot of my wife's 40+gb & my 30+gb per month? And that's all while traveling 48 states

~~~~~~~~~~

And the point showing it would be foolish to beleive hardly anyone uses 20,25gb and above.. Especially when youre talking top 5%..... Im sure there are peeps with flips phones in the bottom 1% who use then 100mb and hardly send a text.. If people are paying for the 20gb plans on verizon its pretty safe to say people are using that much on sprint..

Verizon and Att have 30, 40 and 50 Gb plans on their cellular offers on both their websites.... I guess in your world no one uses those plans ?

That thread is from this link: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/05/08/sprint-will-begin-throttling-the-top-5-of-data-users-in-congested-markets/

This is from a Cisco white paper using data collected from almost 40,000 devices on global tier I networks. I realize this isn't pefect, but it is probably the best we are going to get.

Table 10. Average Traffic by User Tier in MB per Month

Average MB perMonth

Oct-12

Nov-12

Dec-12

Jan-13

Feb-13

Mar-13

Apr-13

May-13

Jun-13

Jul-13

Aug-13

Sep-13

Top 1%

Top 5%

Top 10%

Top 20%

Source: Cisco VNI, 2014

The top 1% of users are in the 12-16 gb range, the top 5% in the 6-8 gb range.

white_paper_c11-520862_20.jpg

Back to a point AJ was making earlier in this thread, the top 10% of users generate an equal ammount of traffic compared to the remaining 90% of the users. The Top 1% of users are responsible for about 10% of total traffic.

Table 9. Percentage of Traffic by User Tier, Months October 2012–September 2013

Data Users

Oct-12

Nov-12

Dec-12

Jan-13

Feb-13

Mar-13

Apr-13

May-13

Jun-13

Jul-13

Aug-13

Sept 13

% traffic due toTop 1%

15%

14%

15%

15%

19%

17%

15%

13%

14%

13%

12%

10%

% traffic due toTop 10%

49%

48%

48%

47%

59%

59%

48%

46%

46%

42%

42%

40%

white_paper_c11-520862_25.jpg

The average monthly data for an unlimited user as of last September was just under 2 gigs.

Table 11. One Percent of Mobile Data Users Consume 5 GB per Month

%

Oct-12

Nov-12

Dec-12

Jan-13

Feb-13

Mar-13

Apr-13

May-13

Jun-13

Jul-13

Aug-13

Sep-13

Greater than 5 GB

1%

2%

1%

2%

2%

2%

2%

2%

2%

3%

3%

3%

Greater than 2 GB

12%

13%

11%

15%

16%

17%

16%

17%

18%

20%

23%

24%

Greater than 200 MB

54%

56%

56%

56%

57%

58%

59%

60%

62%

74%

75%

75%

Greater than 20 MB

70%

72%

72%

73%

74%

74%

74%

76%

77%

93%

93%

93%

Source: Cisco VNI, 2013

Data use continues to grow with the percent of users using more than 2 gigs a month doubling over the one year period...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/white_paper_c11-520862.html

• Like 1

And the point showing it would be foolish to beleive hardly anyone uses 20,25gb and above.. Especially when youre talking top 5%..... Im sure there are peeps with flips phones in the bottom 1% who use then 100mb and hardly send a text.. If people are paying for the 20gb plans on verizon its pretty safe to say people are using that much on sprint..

Verizon and Att have 30, 40 and 50 Gb plans on their cellular offers on both their websites.... I guess in your world no one uses those plans ?

I'm not sure where you are getting the notion that I don't believe their are people using huge amounts of data from. I fully believe their data abusers using Sprint as their ISP and or streaming service. My no way is it that high comment was in response to your comment about the top 5% being well beyond 25 gigs.

And I still contend there is no way it is that high. My best guess is somewhere in the 7-9 gb/month range likely puts you in the top 5% on Sprint right now. That is significantly lower than 25.

This is from a Cisco white paper using data collected from almost 40,000 devices on global tier I networks. I realize this isn't pefect, but it is probably the best we are going to get.

I'm suspicious that those figures are artificially low. We have two carriers that are "unlimited data" and everybody else has caps. I would like to see Sprint and T-mobile separated from those statistics.

Folks, consider this a PSA.  Please do not quote a massive post just to comment a few lines.  Edit the quote down to manageable size.  For context, if needed, we can always refer back to the original.  But many of us have already read it.

Thanks...

AJ

• Like 4

Shorten the quote.

I already did while you were posting.

AJ

The top 1% of users are in the 12-16 gb range, the top 5% in the 6-8 gb range.

Source: Cisco VNI, 2013

Data use continues to grow with the percent of users using more than 2 gigs a month doubling over the one year period...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/white_paper_c11-520862.html

The data is what it is, but that doesn't mean it's a representation anywhere near what the average user will use today in an unlimited data plan such as Sprint.

There are too  many legit problems with the data that will skew it:

1st) back in 2011 only 40% of users had a smartphone,.. in 2012 this number jumped to 50%.. in 2013 in went to nearly 60%... In those perspective years the 60%, 50%, and 40% who had flip phones would have TREMENDOUSLY brought down any data use averages.. as the shown avg is under 2Gb.. it should be..

2nd)  In 2011 Tiered data plans came to be and unlimited data plans went away.. by 2012 they were completely gone in any option for Verizon and ATT.. people began to monitor their own data usege.. most probably chose a 2GB plans due to the outrageous prices for that use - this is going to skew the data to an avg closer to 2GB .. now combine limiting tiered data plans with the fact that 40% were still on flip phones using much less data,. 

3rd) Sprint had unlimited data in 2011-2013.. but even in 2013.. in most places there was no 4G.. Wimax wasn't in many places in 2011.... Sprints data usage would be artificially low because I know my iPhone usage before 4g was in the hundreds of Mb's.. nowhere near 1Gb.... Unless you had wimax most Sprint smart devices were bricks when not on wifi..

4th) Increased demand for data  from 2011 to 2013 caused ATT &  Verizon to add new tiered plans with much higher data plans because people were demanding it.  Verizon didn't even have anything beyond 10 Gb until around the end of 2012 ( basically 2013 ) and now it goes up to 50Gb.  

There is much other data out there: Cable users in the USA have drop by nearly 50% in most markets to what they were just 3 years ago from today.  More people are streaming to HD sets as well as smart devices.. I know too many people who have dumped cable in the last 2 years and gone to netlfix or other options of streaming..

I'm banking the avg Sprint smart-device user (in a predominantly 4g area) is closer to 5 Gb of useage..  We all know enough people using that much or more.. and not just on Sprint... There are people on tiered plans who simply can't afford more Gb's .. this will keep numbers looking low..

My son has had his Sprint LG G2 no more then 2 weeks and he has already put 3.5 Gb on it..

Looking at tiered plans the ones who went for the great coverage of Verizon are mostly stuck at 2gb to 6GB probably because of the economics alone.. People will do what they can afford but in unlimited scenarios more people will waste resources..

Adding to your data from your own source. Here are some statements from cisco.

* Average smartphone usage grew 50 percent in 2013.  

Mobile video traffic was 53 percent of traffic by the end of 2013.

* Average nonsmartphone cellular usage  increased 39 percent to 10.8 MB per month in 2013, compared to 7.8 MB per month in2012. Basic handsets still make up the vast majority of handsets on the network (73 percent) - this is still alot of data for an "average" 

Global mobile data traffic will increase nearly 11-fold between 2013 and 2018.

And this one is my favorite:

* Currently, a 4G connection generates nearly 15 times more traffic than a non-4G connection. There are two reasons for this. The first is that many 4G connections today are for high-end devices, which have a higher average usage. The second is that higher speeds encourage the adoption and usage of high-bandwidth applications 

• Like 2

I am not sure why this "What constitutes the top 5 percent?" debate is useful, since it is based largely on estimation and speculation.  The "5" figure that is useful, however, is 5 GB.  Sprint appears to have drawn the line in the sand in the vicinity of 5 GB as the threshold at which throttling may commence.  Enough said.

AJ

• Like 3

I am not sure why this "What constitutes the top 5 percent?" debate is useful, since it is based largely on estimation and speculation.  The "5" figure that is useful, however, is 5 GB.  Sprint appears to have drawn the line in the sand in the vicinity of 5 GB as the threshold at which throttling may commence.  Enough said.

AJ

I dont care as long as i dont notice. If they throttle it in a manner in which most things are useable then it won't matter. I doubt Sprint wants to lose more subscribers but what they do will determine if that happens.

• Like 1

I dont care as long as i dont notice. If they throttle it in a manner in which most things are useable then it won't matter. I doubt Sprint wants to lose more subscribers but what they do will determine if that happens.

Robert has more or less already stated this, but I think Sprint is fully prepared to lose some subs that it does not particularly care to keep -- because those current top percent subs make life on the network difficult for many, many others.

AJ

• Like 1

Robert has more or less already stated this, but I think Sprint is fully prepared to lose some subs that it does not particularly care to keep -- because those current top percent subs make life on the network difficult for many, many others.

AJ

If 5gb is the top 5%.. That puts a 3gb user in the top 20% of all users..

Sorry Sprint, but half of everyone on LTE is using 3gb.. I cant see how this curve can be so steep unless Sprint is calculating in on the fact they have less working bandwidth at this particular time as part of the calculation.. I use the lowest amount of data in my family- usually around 2gb..

I can see Sprint wanting to push out 15gb+ users but pushing out people using 5+ gb by throttling them into the arms of another carrier seems like a horrible plan for a company that has all this bandwidth. Maybe its not ready now and thats the problem.

• Like 1