Top 5% being throttled starting 6/1

I say good. An excellent solution to data abusers.

• Like 11

Will they have to change our terms of service?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I don't think they will, its not like the are taking away unlimited data.  

There is a catch:

The approach "will enable us to provide more customers with a high quality data experience during heavy usage times," Sprint said in a statement sent to FierceWirelessTech. "Once the customer is no longer connected to a congested cell site, or the site is no longer congested, speeds will return to normal."

Read more: Sprint slams on the brakes for top 5% of data users in congested areas - FierceWirelessTech http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-slams-brakes-top-5-data-users-congested-areas/2014-05-08#ixzz318JQsLmy

Subscribe at FierceWirelessTech

• Like 2

This will be controversial. They say the top 5% is roughly people who use more than 5GB of data per month. I think there are a lot of our members who use more than 5 gigs a month and then get connected to a well burdened/over burdened site. They will have their speeds reduced.

Although I don't like AT&T, I do like my 15GB plan. If I go over, I just pay my fair share of the overage. If I want a lesser bill, I just use less. I also like my Ting plan for the same reason. I pay exactly for what I use. It seems fair. And if I want to save money, I can use my phone very sparsely.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 9

I use between 4-8 gigs a month. I wouldn't have a problem with being throttled but at what speeds will I be throttled at? If it's sub 1mb down I will have a problem. Speeds lower than that Spotify and Google Music will not stream correctly.

• Like 2

Hmm but they pledge unlimited data and I thought the clearwire spectrum was to aid them to keep offering unlimited data.... Guess not

I am thinking this won't really effect anyone with triband or dual band phones. Your phone will switch to a less congested band anyways if its available, so it would basically reverse any throttling that might occur. 

• Like 3

What does a "reduction of throughput" mean?  Does mean sprint will actually cut off your data is your one of the 5% on a tower?

Hmm but they pledge unlimited data and I thought the clearwire spectrum was to aid them to keep offering unlimited data.... Guess not

They're still providing unlimited data. Not unlimited LTE. Devil's in the details my brotha. Devil's in the details.

• Like 1

What does a "reduction of throughput" mean?  Does mean sprint will actually cut off your data is your one of the 5% on a tower?

You service will be throttled until you're on a site that's not congested. It could be that same site when the congestion is relieved.

You service will be throttled until you're on a site that's not congested. It could be that same site when the congestion is relieved.

I can only hope as there is a band 25 site no matter the time of day is always overloaded that my htc max connects to that is just horrible! I can see most devices in this area then dropping down to 3g to balance load alot if they do this!

The data is unlimited. Just the speed will not be wide open. And just not in problem areas.

• Like 3

I use between 4-8 gigs a month. I wouldn't have a problem with being throttled but at what speeds will I be throttled at? If it's sub 1mb down I will have a problem. Speeds lower than that Spotify and Google Music will not stream correctly.

I don't use Spotify. But my Pandora streams just fine on AT&T Faux G running at 300kbps.

• Like 2

I know but I swore they said their unlimited data is "truly unlimited, no data cap or reduced speeds" I'm not even close to the top 5% so this will not affect me lol

I know but I swore they said their unlimited data is "truly unlimited, no data cap or reduced speeds" I'm not even close to the top 5% so this will not affect me lol

"Sprint reserves the right, without notice or limitation, to limit data throughput speeds or quantities or to deny, terminate, end, modify, disconnect, or suspend service if an individual engages in any of the prohibited voice or data uses detailed below or if Sprint, in its sole discretion, determines action is necessary to protect its wireless networks from harm or degradation."

• Like 2

I barely use 2GB on my phone over 4G/3G when I'm out and about, when I'm home I use my WiFi connection to browse the internet, steam music, etc.  I like Sprint's connection optimizer as it automatically switches me over to my WiFi when I get in range of the signal, just set it up and forget about it.  

• Like 2

Although I don't like AT&T, I do like my 15GB plan. If I go over, I just pay my fair share of the overage. If I want a lesser bill, I just use less. I also like my Ting plan for the same reason. I pay exactly for what I use. It seems fair. And if I want to save money, I can use my phone very sparsely.

I don't like AT&T, either, but I have to admit, they have finally overcome the "iPhone effect" on their network.  My work phone always has a signal, and, much of the time, better data speeds than Sprint in the areas I most commonly am in.  

Thankfully, even though all the upgrades seem to have been completed some time ago here in the Atlanta area and speeds on LTE had actually gotten worse, that appears to be changing.  I've noticed in the last few weeks that my data is better at work and a few other places where it had gotten pretty slow over the last six months.

• Like 1

I can only hope as there is a band 25 site no matter the time of day is always overloaded that my htc max connects to that is just horrible! I can see most devices in this area then dropping down to 3g to balance load alot if they do this!

Look at it this way.  The top 5 percent may be using, for example, 50 percent of the capacity.  That is a reasonable estimate.  And if those 5 percent get throttled down, that could free up the 50 percent for other users.  So, those overloaded band 25 sectors may not be so overloaded any longer.

AJ

• Like 2

Tech sites going bananas with haters. The usual I thought Sprint always throttled line lol. For some reason I think to the public this may do some harm to Sprint since a lot of people never got the network that they were promised years ago. As for my self I am perfectly fine with this. Thanks to my new job I can afford to pay $40 a month to Verizon for 5gb of data on my LG G pad 8.3 and I use the Nexus 5 on tmobiles $30 5gb plan while having the G2 on Sprint so If sprint can't handle it I have two other networks up for the challenge. Its a phone geek's wet dream.

"Sprint reserves the right, without notice or limitation, to limit data throughput speeds or quantities or to deny, terminate, end, modify, disconnect, or suspend service if an individual engages in any of the prohibited voice or data uses detailed below or if Sprint, in its sole discretion, determines action is necessary to protect its wireless networks from harm or degradation."

That's only when engaging in prohibited activities, not normal web usage.

-Anthony

That's only when engaging in prohibited activities, not normal web usage.

Not "only."  If somehow you rack up enough "normal web usage" to degrade network capacity for others, that qualifies.

AJ

• Like 2

Not "only."  If somehow you rack up enough "normal web usage" to degrade network capacity for others, that qualifies.

AJ

Yes, it says "or if" at the end of that quote, so Sprint has the right to limit throughput to prevent degradation.

• Like 1