Swapping out my phone due to connectivity issues, which phone has the best reception on sprint now?

Sammael

I have the htc one m8 now, but have had horrible connectivity issues so I am returning it later today.  It may be a bum unit, but the issues I experienced so scarred me I am hyper sensitive to connectivity now.

So out of all of the current sprint phones on lte, which has the best connectivity?

both among sprints spark capable phones AND non spark lte phones (i.e. how is the note 3?)  if the csfb? issues are going to stick around, I may skip spark phones unless you all think there are better connectivity options with one of them.

Nexus 5 seems to be the current favorite and is Spark capable.

It doesn't have official spark capability yet, just to clarify a bit:P. It is the rf king though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So out of all of the current sprint phones on lte, which has the best connectivity?

Nexus 5 has the best RF hands down.

The Spark update for the N5 is supposedly "coming soon."

Right now the N5 works fine with Band 25 and Band 26, it's just Band 41 (Spark) that it's having issues with.

• Like 2

Right now the N5 works fine with Band 25 and Band 26, it's just Band 41 (Spark) that it's having issues with.

And maybe "soon" as in next week?

We shall see. Link: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5709-lg-google-nexus-5-users-thread/page-275?p=306275&do=findComment&comment=306275

Where do you live? If you live in a spark market and don't get a spark phone...Well that would be your loss.

I am in the Los Angeles market. The entire reason for me upgrading my m7 to the m8 was the hope for better connectivity and speed. What I got was significantly worse connectivity to the point where I could not even launch into navigation to a destination in maps because I'd be driving for 5 miles and it would never lock back onto data.

I heard about the other connectivity issues with spark phone after I got this one so now I am more wary. For me the most important thing is connectivity. In one spot on this spark phones I pulled down over 50mbps, but if there are more places where I can't connect at all then it becomes useless.

If I can get better connectivity with a spark phone, great. But it sounds like there are issues that might stop that from happening.

Edited by Sammael
  • Like 1

I am in the Los Angeles market. The entire reason for me upgrading my m7 to the m8 was the hope for better connectivity and speed. What I got was significantly worse connectivity to the point where I could not even launch into navigation to a destination in maps because I'd be driving for 5 miles and it would never lock back onto data.

I heard about the other connectivity issues with spark phone after I got this one so now I am more wary. For me the most important thing is connectivity. In one spot on this spark phones I pulled down over 50mbps, but if there are more places where I can't connect at all then it becomes useless.

If I can get better connectivity with a spark phone, great. But it sounds like there are issues that might stop that from happening.

Other Spark devices work just fine. It appears to be only the M8 experiencing these connectivity issues at the moment.

The S4T, One Max, Galaxy Mega, and LG G2 are working just fine, as is the Nexus 5 (will work even better once it receives it's Spark update).

I have the htc one m8 now, but have had horrible connectivity issues so I am returning it later today.  It may be a bum unit, but the issues I experienced so scarred me I am hyper sensitive to connectivity now.

both among sprints spark capable phones AND non spark lte phones (i.e. how is the note 3?)  if the csfb? issues are going to stick around, I may skip spark phones unless you all think there are better connectivity options with one of them.

I get signal with an iPhone 5C in places I've never seen service before, but then again I've never tried a Nexus 5 or a Motorola device (which are supposed to be the best for signal).

There are no 800mhz LTE capable Motorola devices yet so I would still avoid them.

The Nexus 5 is prone to csfb issues due to it being triband.

I've owned the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One (M7). The iPhone 5C is miles ahead of them both signal wise.

I know a lot of people hate the iPhone but if you don't, you might want to give a 5S or 5C a chance. They are immune to csfb issues, have great radios and support 800mhz LTE. The drawback is that they won't support the upcoming TD-LTE network.

Wait..the Nexus 5 (stock) works on B26??

The lesson here is that some phones have growing pains and in the case of the N5 those pains may be lengthy because of a variety f issues. Before you decide to go another route I suggest you check out AJ's work on the rf characteristics of the M8.

The lesson here is that some phones have growing pains and in the case of the N5 those pains may be lengthy because of a variety f issues. Before you decide to go another route I suggest you check out AJ's work on the rf characteristics of the M8.

In his area there should be no CSFB issues, so no drawback to having an N5, or any tri-band device.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

In his area there should be no CSFB issues, so no drawback to having an N5, or any tri-band device.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The N5 is a fine phone. I almost picked one up myself. I was just trying to paint the picture that sometimes these things happen with early adoption. As far as I can tell everybody who had connection issues with the M8 resolved them by trading in for another unit. This has been mentioned numerous times in other threads.

The N5 is a fine phone. I almost picked one up myself. I was just trying to paint the picture that sometimes these things happen with early adoption. As far as I can tell everybody who had connection issues with the M8 resolved them buy trading in for another unit. This has been mentioned numerous times in other threads.

Right. It sounds like most of the issues are coming from M8s ordered online immediately after launch, and before Sprint began offering them in stores.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yep. Works just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Really? Without the spark update? I had no idea. There is 800 lte here but I have yet to connect to it. I figured it was because of the much delayed spark update. Hmm.

Really? Without the spark update? I had no idea. There is 800 lte here but I have yet to connect to it. I figured it was because of the much delayed spark update. Hmm.

Yeah Lee and I have been able to connect to it just fine with the N5. I'm unlocked, but not rooted. Works fine with the .15 radio and the .23 radio. For about a week before CSFB was enabled on B26, the .15 radio connected anyway and calls and texts stopped, but that's been fixed now.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 3

Are you all picking the b26 in Atlanta all over or certain spots. I didn't there would be csfb problems with b26 and b41 but guess no difference between them and b25.

Are you all picking the b26 in Atlanta all over or certain spots. I didn't there would be csfb problems with b26 and b41 but guess no difference between them and b25.

Who are you asking? Doesn't sound like anyone has connected to it yet in Atlanta.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Just an update, I ended up swapping out my old m8 for a new m8, and this one performs much better.  Looks like I got a bad unit.  Happy about that, I chose this phone because I thought it was nicer, and going to the n5 would be a step backwards in terms of design imo (but I would have done that if needed)

• Like 1