Verizon buying Cincinnati Bell Wireless

newboyx

http://investor.cincinnatibell.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=111332&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1916140&highlight

Verizon gobbles up another.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just their spectrum licenses, but regardless I'm sure the FCC and justice department will be A-OK with this.

More accurate to say that Cincinnati Bell is selling its wireless operations to Verizon.  

More accurate to say that Cincinnati Bell is selling its wireless operations to Verizon.  

It's not selling the wireless operations. It'll get a lease back on the spectrum and shut down the network before handing control of the licenses back to Verizon.

• Like 1

Expect VZW to cut a side deal with T-Mobile for Cincinnati Bell's AWS spectrum.  My analysis projects that VZW will swap Cincinnati Bell's AWS A block 20 MHz license for T-Mobile's AWS E block 10 MHz license.  Then, T-Mobile can finally deploy band 4 LTE in Cincinnati.

AJ

• Like 1

Maybe VZW will offload some of the 700 as well.  T-Mobile? AT&T?

Well, it was VZW that held the Lower 700 MHz A block and B block licenses in Cincinnati.  Those have already been offloaded to T-Mobile and AT&T, respectively.  The one CBW Lower 700 MHz license that I am aware of is the Lower 700 MHz A block in Dayton, not Cincinnati.  And it appears to have major DT channel 51 issues.

AJ

Expect VZW to cut a side deal with T-Mobile for Cincinnati Bell's AWS spectrum.  My analysis projects that VZW will swap Cincinnati Bell's AWS A block 20 MHz license for T-Mobile's AWS E block 10 MHz license.  Then, T-Mobile can finally deploy band 4 LTE in Cincinnati.

AJ

Why weren't they able to do to it before? I thought it markets where that was the case they were refarming HSPA+ to PCS and doing 5x5 LTE. 

Why weren't they able to do to it before? I thought it markets where that was the case they were refarming HSPA+ to PCS and doing 5x5 LTE.

T-Mobile has offered millions of devices over the years that do not support band 2 W-CDMA 1900.

AJ

T-Mobile has made a very optimistic decision to deploy LTE to 250 million pops by the end of the year and 280+ mil by mid 2015, which includes deploying suburban/rural LTE on PCS (Band 2) spectrum in GSM only markets where they will completely skip HSPA+ (in some areas) at first, and go straight to GSM/LTE setup.

That strategy allows them to deploy wider 10Mhz LTE channels, reuse some of their existing PCS infrastructure (panels), and make minimal required hardware and engineering adjustments in order to meet their goals.

They will be required to install new BTS and RRUs, as well as AAV backhaul upgrades.

To bring it back on topic, this means they could go with PCS LTE in Cincy market immediately, then add AWS once they sort out the spectrum issues. Not sure if that's actually happening in that market. 

Well, it was VZW that held the Lower 700 MHz A block and B block licenses in Cincinnati.  Those have already been offloaded to T-Mobile and AT&T, respectively.  The one CBW Lower 700 MHz license that I am aware of is the Lower 700 MHz A block in Dayton, not Cincinnati.  And it appears to have major DT channel 51 issues.

AJ

Thank you for the info.

T-Mobile has made a very optimistic decision to deploy LTE to 250 million pops by the end of the year and 280+ mil by mid 2015, which includes deploying suburban/rural LTE on PCS (Band 2) spectrum in GSM only markets where they will completely skip HSPA+ (in some areas) at first, and go straight to GSM/LTE setup.

That strategy allows them to deploy wider 10Mhz LTE channels, reuse some of their existing PCS infrastructure (panels), and make minimal required hardware and engineering adjustments in order to meet their goals.

They will be required to install new BTS and RRUs, as well as AAV backhaul upgrades.

To bring it back on topic, this means they could go with PCS LTE in Cincy market immediately, then add AWS once they sort out the spectrum issues. Not sure if that's actually happening in that market.

A little off topic also, does this mean that the areas getting PCS LTE are those that are currently EDGE only? If a market already has HSPA+ it most likely won't get PCS LTE?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

A little off topic also, does this mean that the areas getting PCS LTE are those that are currently EDGE only? If a market already has HSPA+ it most likely won't get PCS LTE?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Pretty much, but not all of them, according to Mike Sievert.

EDGE markets will be getting either PCS or AWS LTE, and some of them 700a.

Most markets with live HSPA+ have enough AWS for LTE overlay. Exception being Cincinnati.

doesxMqm.png