Sprint 5x5 vs T-Mobile 10x10

John Legere at the CES 2014 conference talked about T-Mobile having 10X10 LTE compared to Sprints 5X5. Suggesting this automatically makes T-Mobile a faster network over Sprint.

My question is, if this is true, why is sprint going with 5X5 and not 10X10 and least?  Are there any benefits sprint deploying a 5X5 LTE network over 10X10 ?

John Legere at the CES 2014 conference talked about T-Mobile having 10X10 LTE compared to Sprints 5X5. Suggesting this automatically makes T-Mobile a faster network over Sprint.

My question is, if this is true, why is sprint going with 5X5 and not 10X10 and least? Are there any benefits sprint deploying a 5X5 LTE network over 10X10 ?

You can not deploy 10x10 if you don't have a 10x10 chunk of spectrum.

Sprint is deploying 5x5 on 1900, but band 41 is being deployed on 20x20.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The only words that you will hear out of Legere's mouth is what makes Magenta look good...Yes, it's true Sprint is only deploying 5x5 on 1900, but he doesn't mention the other two bands. Why would he. Everyone knows that 10 is a bigger number than 5....So that must be better right?

• Like 1

So Sprint does not have the spectrum to launch 10X10 on the 1900 Band 25 ? What about Band 26 800 ?

Band 41 is a TDD band. Therefore the carrier width is expressed as 20MHz only. 20x20 would be a FDD expression, as it has a separate up and down links.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

My question is, if this is true, why is sprint going with 5X5 and not 10X10 and least?  Are there any benefits sprint deploying a 5X5 LTE network over 10X10 ?

Yes, it is faster. However, you really do not speeds as fast as they are saying they can reach on a smart phone. You literally can't do anything that would be necessary to have speeds that fast. In reality 1-3 mb down with good ping is more than enough to perform normal smart phone activities (check Facebook, instagram, emails, send photos, messages, youtube etc.) Anything above what sprint LTE is guaranteeing is just, "mine is bigger than yours" talk. 

So Sprint does not have the spectrum to launch 10X10 on the 1900 Band 25 ? What about Band 26 800 ?

Band 26 is also 5x5. 

They do in some places. 5x5 is limited to 37Mbps. It's not as if it is limited to 3Mbps as Legere would suggest. Also, Tmo cannot deploy 10x10 everywhere either. He only discusses the best his network can do hypothetically.

If you need more than a 5MHz carrier and not in a Band 41 area, please go to Tmo. I hear he is offering to pay the lube for all his new e-penis recruits. But if you get a fast 70Mbps speed on Tmo, don't move. In fact, move right into the nearest home and never go anywhere. You'll be happy the rest of your life. And pray to God no one else moves in your area either.

In fact, I hope as many people as possible go to Tmo, from all the carriers.

• Like 21

The only words that you will hear out of Legere's mouth is what makes Magenta look good...Yes, it's true Sprint is only deploying 5x5 on 1900, but he doesn't mention the other two bands. Why would he. Everyone knows that 10 is a bigger number than 5....So that must be better right?

Yes, but 22 (5 + 5 + 12 (3:2 ratio for 20 MHz TD-LTE, effectively)) is bigger than 10.
  • Like 2

We should start a Tmo spoof like Dr. Who and the Weeping Angels. Instead of, "Don't blink!" It can be, "Don't move!"

Tmo customers! If you find Legere's mythical 147Mbps LTE speeds out in the real world, DON'T MOVE.  Not for a second! Do not even move!  Move one inch and your speed test is dead! Don't turn your back from your smartphone.  Don't even think about it! Don't move away! And don't MOVE!  Good luck.

weeping_angels_by_mooneymcmooneykins-d3j

FOR DOCTOR WHO REFERENCE:

Edited by S4GRU
Added Doctor Who YouTube clip
  • Like 19

Yes, but 22 (5 + 5 + 12 (3:2 ratio for 20 MHz TD-LTE, effectively)) is bigger than 10.

LOL....I was being sarcastic with my original post. Legere likes to run his trap about how awesome T-Mobile is...He knows people love that lip service....As I said before it comes down to what John Saw said....who's got the Fattest Pipe...HAHA :rofl:

Yes, it is faster. However, you really do not speeds as fast as they are saying they can reach on a smart phone. You literally can't do anything that would be necessary to have speeds that fast. In reality 1-3 mb down with good ping is more than enough to perform normal smart phone activities (check Facebook, instagram, emails, send photos, messages, youtube etc.) Anything above what sprint LTE is guaranteeing is just, "mine is bigger than yours" talk. 

Band 26 is also 5x5. 

Right, and I agree with that. I am happy if I can at least get 2Mbps down.  The more the better, but honestly i agree. What the hell am i going to do with 137Mpbs on a phone? Now if I am deploying a hotspot for my laptop, that is great, but honestly 10 - 25 would be just fine.  

I think what t-mobile is doing very well right now, is marketing.  Now, how real world results are with T-Mobile? I don't know, but I bet when they start pickin up more customers, the network we become more congested, and start seeing the issues Verizon is having. 

Sprint Spark sounds like a good solution to that problem to me. 

Right, and I agree with that. I am happy if I can at least get 2Mbps down. The more the better, but honestly i agree. What the hell am i going to do with 137Mpbs on a phone? Now if I am deploying a hotspot for my laptop, that is great, but honestly 10 - 25 would be just fine.

137 Mpbs would be wast as a hotspot for a laptop also with the data caps every carrier places on hotspots. This would be good for streaming HD video and downloading, two activaties that would have you screaming past your 5 gig cap in no time. Where this does provide a benifit for tmobile and their customers is in capacity. They have a smaller customer base than even sprint so this will likely mean higher average speeds and lower instances of the network being overloaded in places where they are able to deploy WLTE.

We should start a Tmo spoof like Dr. Who and the Weeping Angels. Instead of, "Don't blink!" It can be, "Don't move!"

Tmo customers! If you find Legere's mythical 147Mbps LTE speeds out in the real world, DON'T MOVE.  Not for a second! Do not even move!  Move one inch and your speed test is dead! Don't turn your back from your smartphone.  Don't even think about it! Don't move away! And don't MOVE!  Good luck.

"You know what it is -- you always go that one move too far.  And then you try to save it.  No, don't move.  Freeze!  Don't...ah...ah...  You moved.  You moved!  It's not my fault.  Come on, you clearly exhaled."

AJ

• Like 3

With Sprint having spectrum in the 800, 1900, and 2500MHz they are in a excellent position for the fastest 4G LTE network.  A contractor I spoke to that was very familiar with the Network Vision upgrades said this time next year Sprint's network will be blowing the socks off of Verizon and ATT's network.  I'm sure once Sprint migrates most of the voice traffic onto 800 they would be able to deploy 10x10 in various markets once the new network matures.  Plus T-Mobile's LTE offerings are far, few, and in between, where I live T-Mobile is still on 2G service... :lol:

• Like 2

Band 41 is a TDD band. Therefore the carrier width is expressed as 20MHz only. 20x20 would be a FDD expression, as it has a separate up and down links.

Dang you accuracy!

• Like 1

I'm sure once Sprint migrates most of the voice traffic onto 800 they would be able to deploy 10x10 in various markets once the new network matures.

No, that is unlikely.

With only one CDMA1X 800 carrier, it will not be able to handle all voice traffic.  So, some CDMA1X 1900 carriers will also be necessary.  And in a PCS A/B block 30 MHz (aka 15 MHz FDD) market, a 10 MHz x 10 MHz (aka 10 MHz FDD) carrier would take up two thirds of the available spectrum, leaving enough remaining spectrum for only three CDMA2000 carriers.  Until Sprint shuts down EV-DO, three CDMA2000 carriers would be inadequate in most major markets.  Additionally, many of the pre tri band LTE handsets do not support wider bandwidth LTE carriers.

AJ

• Like 1

No, that is unlikely.

With only one CDMA1X 800 carrier, it will not be able to handle all voice traffic.  So, some CDMA1X 1900 carriers will also be necessary.  And in a PCS A/B block 30 MHz (aka 15 MHz FDD) market, a 10 MHz x 10 MHz (aka 10 MHz FDD) carrier would take up two thirds of the available spectrum, leaving enough remaining spectrum for only three CDMA2000 carriers.  Until Sprint shuts down EV-DO, three CDMA2000 carriers would be inadequate in most major markets.  Additionally, many of the pre tri band LTE handsets do not support wider bandwidth LTE carriers.

AJ

Not really directed at AJ..just adding to his comment.

If deployed correctly and network loading managed correctly, having the B41 20mhz TDD(and more later) combined with 5x5 in PCS G, 5x5 PCS-A, and 5x5 in 800SMR, you would really have an awesome network experience for everyone.  It may not make the e-penis folks happy about not running 80 megabit speedtests but for the average usage on a handset there's virtually no noticeable difference between 60 megabit or 8 megabit.

• Like 7

Has anyone noticed it's the same folks who just 6 months ago who said, "I would just be happy if I had 3Mbps everywhere I went," now all of a sudden think they need to have 100Mbps?

These people are not going to be happy no matter what Sprint does.  I think they should go to T-Mobile.  Au revoir!  But you will only get 50Mbps+ on Tmo on about every 10th LTE site.  And you will only get it in your car facing the panels.  You aren't going to get it in your cubicle in the middle of the office building, or in the movie theater or in your basement.  And you certainly aren't going to get it outside the city limits.

AWS performs the same as PCS.  It is good as a capacity overlay for LTE.  It's magnificent for that.  Unless Tmo densifies their AWS/PCS network, the patchy LTE coverage is not going anywhere.  At least Sprint has a plan and it's being executed.  Tmo is just about at the end of the road on their upgrade.  Time to put up or shut up!  

And based on Legere's 137Mbps comments, I would be disappointed if I just hit 50Mbps on his network.  Not even half the size of his e-penis he's flaunting!  People say Sprint should under promise and over deliver.  What about this clown?  And I bet people and the media will not even hold him accountable for his over promise and under deliver because he says pithy comments about wireless corporations that everyone already despise.   :scratch:

Robert

• Like 18

Damn Samsumg! Damn Samsung to hell!

Going to sound like an Samsung apologist here (and I know how unpopular Samsung is on the interwebz), but if Sprint had told them to design for 10x10 on PCS, they probably would have. Sprint knew they weren't going to deploy it as long as the handsets were in service.

Going to sound like an Samsung apologist here (and I know how unpopular Samsung is on the interwebz), but if Sprint had told them to design for 10x10 on PCS, they probably would have. Sprint knew they weren't going to deploy it as long as the handsets were in service.

Lol I was mainly being facetious. I use Samsung phones and generally find them acceptable. 

The only issue that I have with your theory is that early Sprint LTE handsets from HTC, Motorola and LG such as the Evo LTE, Photon Q and Viper respectively, support a 10MHz channel size. It was only Samsung that chose to solely support the 5MHz channel size. I doubt that it was a case of Sprint sending the memo to everyone except for Samsung.