T-Mo CEO thrown out of AT&T party

illest_ios

Little man syndrome? 

Little man syndrome? 
Little network syndrome? 

There's always going to be some anxiety when your carrier has no real 5-10 year plan for its network which addresses both the underlying spectrum (low dial) issues and capacity issues. Now at least they have some level of plan although it is risky and incomplete. Most of what we have had for 18 months is marketing efforts which are good for shaking up the market and delivering more value. This unfortunately also excites the hard of thinking crowd which is what you are seeing. Sure offer unlimited access to 150mbps lte to all your subs and the millions more that will sign up, then watch it crumble.

Just love the moxy of the T-mobile guys. Reminds a little of old school Nextel. These guys just imagine if given the resources . If softbank does buy t-mobile I'd have those guys run it. No one company is changing the dynamic as much as them.

I hope Legere doesn't take over any major role if the merger did happen. I would feel embarrassed to be associated with a company who acts as immature as he makes T-Mobile look.

• Like 6

If Legere was willing to entertain a CEO in waiting role in a merged company, I'd be OK with it. Granted he'd have to wait a while, but I think he could continue to rabble rouse for a merged company.

We all laugh at Mr. Miami Vice but with the last adds TMo had he certainly has my attention. Even though I'm not a big fan of T-Mobile I respect the turnaround that they have done so far. Whether they can sustain it is another matter.

• Like 1

We all laugh at Mr. Miami Vice but with the last adds TMo had he certainly has my attention. Even though I'm not a big fan of T-Mobile I respect the turnaround that they have done so far. Whether they can sustain it is another matter.

The customer adds are impressive, no doubt. I'm curious as to what the financials are going to look like though.

I love how they dumped all over Sprint's rollout plan as taking too long but later in the Q&A they were asked to address the complaints of lack of suburban and rural coverage and they said it's a "long term play". 

That was a delicious little bit of hypocrisy. Another one of their disparaging remarks about AT&T that I noticed that they while reading the Engadget transcript:

We didn't have a concert with Macklemore the other night, we had to crash. We don't spend our money that way.

If memory serves, didn't t-mobile pay for a Shakira concert in New York last year? 

Am I the only one who gets a less and less positive image of Tmo every time they stick Legere out there? Their changes are what is positive. Their message deliverer is a troll. Literally and figuratively.

I don't follow swarthy unprofessional asshats along the road of life. I laugh and go my own way.

The real winners here with Legere's antics are not the people who jump to Tmo, but for the people who stay with AT&T and possibly Verizon and get to enjoy the changes that were made caused by Legere's antics. They get the benefits, the coverage, and even a slightly less swarthy CEO. Who knew that Stephenson would look less trollish than any other Wireless CEO?

Legere's antics help other consumers more than his own.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

Am I the only one who gets a less and less positive image of Tmo every time they stick Legere out there? Their changes are what is positive. Their message deliverer is a troll. Literally and figuratively. I don't follow swarthy unprofessional asshats along the road of life. I laugh and go my own way. The real winners here with Legere's antics are not the people who jump to Tmo, but for the people who stay with AT&T and possibly Verizon and get to enjoy the changes that were made caused by Legere's antics. They get the benefits, the coverage, and even a slightly less swarthy CEO. Who knew that Stephenson would look less trollish than any other Wireless CEO? Legere's antics help other consumers more than his own. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's funny because he is trolling consumers into buying into T-Mobile and its actually working. I just still find it amazing the amount of profanity he uses on stage like he is a 20 year old frat boy. It's intriguing, and laughable that someone like him can be in power. Again, the only way I would approve Legere of being with Sprint is if he was behind helping with marketing, and never involved in anything public. I don't want to see his face at conferences and expos/events. Can't imagine if Tim Cook got on stage and acted like that. We would see something in the news the next day, "Tim Cook Has Vanished." Apple would not want that kind of reputation of being the immature company with a frat boy in charge.

Edit: No offense frat boys. You keep American Eagle and The Ralph Lauren Polo Industry alive.  :rofl:

Legere > Hesse

At this point, how can anyone not agree?

Please don't...

• Like 1

Legere > Hesse

If you are measuring in Keggers, than yea, you're probably right.

• Like 3

I think it is awesome that they call out the competition and don't sugar coat anything. I don't agree with the profanity as it is unprofessional.

I would love to see Sprint have the balls to do a reality type commercial based on showing how poor TMobiles coverage is. That would be great as all that hoopla on the stage means nothing without proper coverage. Yes they cover metro areas for the most part but people will choose another carrier just for the fact of going to the cabin once a year and that other carrier has coverage there.

• Like 2

I think it is awesome that they call out the competition and don't sugar coat anything. I don't agree with the profanity as it is unprofessional.

I would love to see Sprint have the balls to do a reality type commercial based on showing how poor TMobiles coverage is. That would be great as all that hoopla on the stage means nothing without proper coverage. Yes they cover metro areas for the most part but people will choose another carrier just for the fact of going to the cabin once a year and that other carrier has coverage there.

Even their indoor coverage in urban areas is poorer than Sprint in every place I've been except Denver. In my office in Albuquerque, the Tmo customers had to go to the window just to get an EDGE signal! They had to go outside to WCDMA and had to go a 1/4 mile to get LTE.

• Like 2

The customer adds are impressive, no doubt. I'm curious as to what the financials are going to look like though.

Agreed.  By paying off ETFs and providing handset trade in credits, T-Mobile's sub acquisition costs are going to go through the roof.  T-Mobile is acting more like a wireless startup 10-15 years ago than a national operator in a mature market.

AJ

• Like 1

Legere > Hesse

Are you kidding me?

I've personally met Hesse, and find him to be a consummate professional. The same can't be said for Legere. T-shirts and jeans work for Facebook, not a Tier 1 wireless carrier. 

Speaks volumes for his customer base doesn't it?

• Like 3

And yet again, social media geniuses . That Facebook thing with the letter to your ex carrier is absolute genius. Definitely attracting the younger generation. #omgawd#love#tmobile#l8er#AT&T#you#can#suck#it  

I did it for the lols.

Definitely always been a fan of mad libs.

-Luis

• Like 1

Also the profanity was WAY too unprofessional for my liking. I may be part of the younger generation they want to appeal to, but damn, every other remark they throw at the other companies was riddled with profanities. I don't like that, and personally would have loved to see another spokesperson. Legere has a mind for media, but he's definitely not the best public image for the company.

Hell I could have done a better job, and I don't believe myself to be a professional presenter by any means.

In other words... It ain't cute.

-Luis

Even their indoor coverage in urban areas is poorer than Sprint in every place I've been except Denver. In my office in Albuquerque, the Tmo customers had to go to the window just to get an EDGE signal! They had to go outside to WCDMA and had to go a 1/4 mile to get LTE.

I haven't had the chance to toy around with Tmobile stuff here in my area but knowing their site spacing since it's quite obvious by looking at their map gradients I could probably say the same or worst.  They show I would have ok signal at my house but a friend of mind's TMobile phone was stuck on Emergency Only even outside.  I procrastinated too much on snagging one of their free SIM cards to mess around with but I see they are $10 now so that play time is out as I'm not going to waste $10 on TMobile. 

Am I the only one who gets a less and less positive image of Tmo every time they stick Legere out there? Their changes are what is positive. Their message deliverer is a troll. Literally and figuratively. I don't follow swarthy unprofessional asshats along the road of life. I laugh and go my own way. The real winners here with Legere's antics are not the people who jump to Tmo, but for the people who stay with AT&T and possibly Verizon and get to enjoy the changes that were made caused by Legere's antics. They get the benefits, the coverage, and even a slightly less swarthy CEO. Who knew that Stephenson would look less trollish than any other Wireless CEO? Legere's antics help other consumers more than his own. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the data, and the data shows that TMUS is being very disruptive right now.  The net adds are downright amazing.  If you would have told me that T-Mobile would be behind VZN on net adds by the end of 2013, I would have said craziness!   Look at how defensive AT&T was with the un-carrier 4.0 move.  Look at Sprint with Framily - offering customers plans without buying a subsidized device soon.  All of these innovations have been a positive for the entire industry, which I think what is important for us sprint users and all mobile users.

Regardless of what we think of Legere, he has, without a doubt, been an absolute catalyst for the wireless industry to change.  It will take years to see if it was for better/worse (and a lot of TBD on S/TMUS merger - they are two very different cultures, which reminds me of Sprint/Nextel).

On a side note, Sprint is finally superior to T-Mobile in Boston again, and they haven't even fired up Band 26 LTE yet!  Given some recent trips I've had on the east coast, I forgot how painful the old sprint is (vast stretches of interstate on 1x, unusable data, etc).  Churn, which has ticked up over 2.0% (higher than Sprint PREPAID churn!!!!) is an issue and T-Mobile is capitalizing on the opportunity, which is making Sprint/Softbank feel the competitive pressure, which is a good thing!

Agreed.  By paying off ETFs and providing handset trade in credits, T-Mobile's sub acquisition costs are going to go through the roof.  T-Mobile is acting more like a wireless startup 10-15 years ago than a national operator in a mature market.

AJ

Considering what TMUS margins are vs. Sprint, they definitely have the room to be more competitive.  Lower ARPU, higher margin (16.5% for S 3Q13 vs 26.2% for TMUS).  While this is nothing compared to ATT at 42% and VZN at 51.1%, I love the room TMUS has to create additional competitive headwinds.

Regardless of how lame the pink shirt is, how crappy rural coverage can be, or anything else, I don't understand why people are unhappy with the progress T-Mobile has made.  It will make Sprint better, Verizon better, and AT&T better - so regardless if T-Mobile works for you as a carrier or not, you still benefit - and isn't that what it's all about?

Are you kidding me?

I've personally met Hesse, and find him to be a consummate professional. The same can't be said for Legere. T-shirts and jeans work for Facebook, not a Tier 1 wireless carrier. 

Speaks volumes for his customer base doesn't it?

hmmm I agree Hesse is a professional and Legere is a baboon but correct me if i am wrong, I thought I've seen Hesse in jeans and a sports jacket at meetings and special events? Just because one wears jeans has nothing to do whether you are professional or not so long as you act accordingly. 

TS

Regardless of what we think of Legere, he has, without a doubt, been an absolute catalyst for the wireless industry to change.  It will take years to see if it was for better/worse (and a lot of TBD on S/TMUS merger - they are two very different cultures, which reminds me of Sprint/Nextel).

Let us be honest.  Legere is not personally hatching these schemes.  If that were the case, then I could be CEO.  For example...

• T-Mobile introduces myCircle-Jerk.  Add a new line of service at your local T-Mobile store, and you and three of your closest friends get treated to free handjobs or mustache rides on site.  #uncarrier

No, some behind the scenes people in T-Mobile's marketing team are more likely responsible for formulating these initiatives.  And Legere is basically an actor hired to be the frontman, to play the part:  in this case, the role of the crazy carnival barker.

AJ

• Like 3

Let us be honest.  Legere is not personally hatching these schemes.  If that were the case, then I could be CEO.  For example...

• T-Mobile introduces myCircle-Jerk.  Add a new line of service at your local T-Mobile store, and you and three of your closest friends get treated to free handjobs or mustache rides on site.  #uncarrier

No, some behind the scenes people in T-Mobile's marketing team are more likely responsible for formulating these initiatives.  And Legere is basically an actor hired to be the frontman, to play the part:  in this case, the role of the crazy carnival barker.

AJ

On this one, you made me laugh out loud.

As is the job of the CEO.  Get blamed when things are bad, get props when things are good.  Could T-Mobile be doing better if someone else was running the show?  Maybe.  Philipp Humm wasn't doing T-Mobile any favors (though props for having Cathrine Zeta Jones as the spokeswoman).

Look at HP:

Carly Fiorina

Mark Hurd

Leo Apotheker

Meg Whitman

Yahoo

Jerry Yang

Marissa Mayer

MSFT lately...

and Apple.

or Alan Mulally...

While each CEO is not responsible for hatching a marketing idea (perhaps Jobs was) but when you have examples like those listed above, you can't say they don't impact the way a company operates.  Even companies like HP with very established cultures and divisions have been extremely influenced by what CEO was running the show at the time.