Can ice accumulation mess with the towers?

My question is can ice accumulation cause problems with the cell towers or is it possible for them to fall almost like power line polls due to ice. Just curious because we are supposed to get  a lot of ice here in Little Rock.  

• Like 1

A few years ago we had one of our local towers fall because of ice build up and strong winds. Not sure if one or the other was the main reason for failure. I don't think that it is a common problem just a mix of events that lead to this one falling.

My question is can ice accumulation cause problems with the cell towers or is it possible for them to fall almost like power line polls due to ice. Just curious because we are supposed to get  a lot of ice here in Little Rock.  

They should be good. We had a ice storm here a few years back and we just lost power... The phones worked when the Backups turned on..  And we lost power for 4 days lol

ice accumulation on the panels can degrade the signal... i mean water is an insulator so, so is ice... insulators aren't the best for transmissions of signals lol i would think that most panels would have some sort of heater to keep ice and snow buildup from occurring 

but i wouldnt think that you would have to worry about them falling i mean depending on where the panels are located id be more worried about power lines failing that power the towers themselves and doesnt most of them have generator backups just in case? rather than the tower falling because of ice accumulation 

• Like 1

...i would think that most panels would have some sort of heater to keep ice and snow buildup from occurring 

Yeah, that "heater" is called RF.

AJ

• Like 5

A few years ago we had a substantial ice storm here in central Kentucky and all of the big 4 had substantial damage to equipment, mostly due to ice falling from the towers in large chunks and hitting the equipment below. Only one tower that I know of actually had equipment pulled from the rack by ice but it was a local WISP and not a carrier.

Ericsson is going to be busy swapping 800smr RRUs in the spring due to them freezing over during the winter since they don't use them.

And it's humor like that that makes my day better every time I log on this site :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Ericsson is going to be busy swapping 800smr RRUs in the spring due to them freezing over during the winter since they don't use them.

So do I take this as when hell finally freezes over we will finally get some 800 MHz acceptances from Ericsson?

• Like 4

Would you rather change places and live in Pripyat?

I think he'd consider it, as long as Ericsson is not the vendor there.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2